Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

given the last 20 years of the american battlefield the us expects angry random local dudes to aim small arm fire at the mortar crew while they are trying to work on flattening something holy and needs this tanklette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bij posted:

No argument from me. The simultaneous impact bit gave a general a half chub enough to "justify" the upcharge.

yeah this is advanced technology

quote:

A technique called Time on target was developed by the British Army in North Africa at the end of 1941 and early 1942 particularly for counter-battery fire and other concentrations; it proved very popular. It relied on BBC time signals to enable officers to synchronize their watches to the second. This avoided the use of military radio networks and the possibility of losing surprise, and eliminated the need for additional field telephone networks in the desert.[1]

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
yes, but are those shells landing at the exact same time? :colbert:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What's funny is that MIC grifters get their dicks hard about being able to do a time on target attack with five rounds from one tube because of ~precision automated control~ nevermind that even if you can't do that with a lower tech artillery piece, you can probably just buy, man, and sustain five cheaper tubes for less money and do the same thing plus if one of them has a fault you still have four fully functional tubes to kill people with

unfortunately the all the money needs to go to the arms manufacturer and not the army to have more guys so you can see why 20 guys hauling five cheap mortar tubes is undesirable compared to four guys hauling one giant boondoggle

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

What's funny is that MIC grifters get their dicks hard about being able to do a time on target attack with five rounds from one tube because of ~precision automated control~ nevermind that even if you can't do that with a lower tech artillery piece, you can probably just buy, man, and sustain five cheaper tubes for less money and do the same thing plus if one of them has a fault you still have four fully functional tubes to kill people with

unfortunately the all the money needs to go to the arms manufacturer and not the army to have more guys so you can see why 20 guys hauling five cheap mortar tubes is undesirable compared to four guys hauling one giant boondoggle

Late capitalist service economy applied to warfare

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Late capitalist service economy applied to warfare

I'd say we're about one step from LockMart pitching "precision fires as a service" here

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah this is advanced technology

I resisted the urge to post the tables for doing it on a QF 25 pdr, good on ya.

You can do it on any towed gun with the proper range band and elevation control (so, guns made after 1910), that’s a paper explaining how.

In terms of application, you just make a gun programme for the gun crews and they elevate through each sequence.

Without disparaging my southern neighbours, probably the search for a technological solution is an aversion to the staff and command post work of making the fire plan and calculating the steps of the programme, but again it’s only a few minutes’ work.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Sep 21, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

I'd say we're about one step from LockMart pitching "precision fires as a service" here

For the low cost of 9.99 million a month your F-35 can have acess to its IFF system. Sign up for our gold package for bad weather flying capabilities. Dont forget to use your Lockpoints to unlock the lastest strike packages for your next mission

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s like if you really break down what Stryker MGS was supposed to be, it barely resembles the simplest execution of the concept - infantry formation direct fire high explosive - an Infantry Gun.

that's a 7,5mm field gun by the werhmacht, an example of a gun that was way too complucated for what it what meant for

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the reindeerfucker twin barreled gun car is cool and it's going to tear you two new assholes per second

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

shop smart, shop lockmart

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lollontee posted:

that's a 7,5mm field gun by the werhmacht, an example of a gun that was way too complucated for what it what meant for

Yes, I know what the le.IG 18 is, but it wasn’t a field gun, those were designated Feldkanone (FK). The breech may have been a bit too complex, among other issues, but it’s clear beside the FK 18 and 38 it’s a much smaller gun for infantry work rather than a traditional field piece.

I digress, my point is that if that’s too complicated for what it’s meant for, and the Stryker MGS is meant for the same thing, that shows how much more the Stryker MGS has diverged from what an infantry gun ought to be.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
twin barreled tanks are meant to look cool, and the patria export moneymobile is successful in that. time to pay up, nato mothafuckas

bij
Feb 24, 2007

lollontee posted:

twin barreled tanks are meant to look cool, and the patria export moneymobile is successful in that. time to pay up, nato mothafuckas

It was cooler when they put it on a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsxrNexjkY

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

For the low cost of 9.99 million a month your F-35 can have acess to its IFF system. Sign up for our gold package for bad weather flying capabilities. Dont forget to use your Lockpoints to unlock the lastest strike packages for your next mission

Too complicated, it's just an iphone app where you can drop a pin on whatever you want to get hit by a jdam for $30 million a pop, or 20 if you have the Lockheed Prestige subscription

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

Too complicated, it's just an iphone app where you can drop a pin on whatever you want to get hit by a jdam for $30 million a pop, or 20 if you have the Lockheed Prestige subscription

(service only available against goatherders)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Ah nuts the pilot spent all the lockpoints on new skins for the plane, we'll have to grind some missions in Iraq 3 for a little while before we can get the upgrades.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Palladium posted:

(service only available against goatherders)

JDAMr is expanding to new areas all the time, subscribe to be notified when your neighborhood is added

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

lol I take it you heard about the Ukrainian artillery app?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I take it you heard about the Ukrainian artillery app?

I had not

lmao

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Doesn't the idf merkava have a mortar on that abomination of a tank?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
dude they got a kitchenette and an en suite bathroom in that thing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lollontee posted:

twin barreled tanks are meant to look cool,

This is why I chose to play the Soviets in Red Alert and set me on the road to being a tankie

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Today's F35 fly over to memorialise the queen is cancelled due to rain.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Donbass Devushka posted:

🇾🇪At a military parade in Yemen, the Houthis drove Iranian Shahed-136 kamikaze UAVs across the square that had proven themselves well in Ukraine. The size of the drone is truly rather big, especially for its class.
(from t.me/DonbassDevushka/26420, via tgsa)

didn't realize how chonky those iranian suicide drones are

no wonder us media published those stories about ukrainian artillery getting hunted down by russians using their licensed versions

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Mortars are supposed to be “the Infantry’s Artillery” and lighter and cheaper (and therefore simpler) than the lightest and cheapest guns of the same calibre.

I think you’ve tapped into something here because I think it shows a departure from what role weapons are commonly understood to serve to the MIC directing their development, for their own reasons.

Ah, but putting a 120mm mortar on a stryker platform *is* lighter and cheaper than putting a 155mm howitzer on a tracked vehicle! So actually it makes perfect sense

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

(from t.me/DonbassDevushka/26420, via tgsa)

didn't realize how chonky those iranian suicide drones are

no wonder us media published those stories about ukrainian artillery getting hunted down by russians using their licensed versions

I wonder why us cruise missiles aren't refered to as kamikaze suicide drones

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KomradeX posted:

Reissue, no thats not going to generate profit, we need ro spend 60 million dollars to redesign them over 3 years and come away with somethjng thats a cheap plastic hand held fan with a try for a single ice cube in front of it that blows at the operators face

Furry designed cooling vests it is.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rutibex posted:

Marketing

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is why I chose to play the Soviets in Red Alert and set me on the road to being a tankie

same, tbh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

because cruise missiles are self-guided based on internal navigation, but drones are controlled by a remote operator.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

because cruise missiles are self-guided based on internal navigation, but drones are controlled by a remote operator.

AI driven, self guiding drone. That'll be 5 million dollars Lockmart

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bij posted:

It was cooler when they put it on a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsxrNexjkY

I love it rocking back and worth after firing a single shell, I am sure it will be extremely useful in combat and not at all inaccurate.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the word suicide drone is very funny

just a guided bomb but made by evil foreigners

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everybody refers to "loitering munitions" as suicide drones, because it sounds cooler. The operator watches as he guides the drone into a target similarly to how a kamikaze pilot would. It's pretty straightforward, and everybody loves suiciding drones.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

I love it rocking back and worth after firing a single shell, I am sure it will be extremely useful in combat and not at all inaccurate.

Again, the wild thing is that the same concept has been done cheaper and lighter

Armaments Innovation - The Over-Under Mortar/Machine Gun

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DefenseCharts/status/1572962924947075072

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Flankerchan/status/1572590167218884608

apparently this is how a jet plane and the various drones and cruise missile looks like on radar from the front

tl;dr air defense has to deal with stuff that looks like bird on a radar now

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Danann posted:

apparently this is how a jet plane and the various drones and cruise missile looks like on radar from the front

well just pay attention to the birds that are going mach 2 i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

Wasn't that made rhe F-117 and the B-2 stealth that their radar signature was small enough that the average Warsaw Pact radar operator wouldn't know the difference between them and a flock of birds and because nukes would be going off no one would ever learn the difference? Except hisotry ended so we just kept using them to the point that Yugoslav operators were able to figure out their signature and eventually shoot one down. (Which I love the defense of our Wunderwaffe is that our own complacency and incompetence got it shot down, not any fault of our invincible weapons