Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think it’s fair to expect voice actors to be able to portray at least two characters that sound completely different from one another.

It isnt, next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Started playing The Sexy Brutale. Liking it a lot so far. You are stuck in a time loop where a murder most foul happens. You must stay out of sight but can watch stuff (like the murder itself) by peeking through keyholes or hiding in a cabinet. You eavesdrop on conversations this way too. Then the time loop restarts and you need to figure out how to intervene to prevent the murder. In the first case a guy shoots the victim with a rifle. Prior to getting shot, the victim opens a safe and looks through it; there is a blank cartridge inside. So you need to wait till the victim opens the safe and leaves. Now you can grab the blank, sneak over to where the rifle is, and load the blank before the murderer picks it up. When the murderer tries to shoot the victim, nothing happens, and the victim is able to defend himself. Case solved! Now you move on to the next one.

It is very much an adventure game, with adventure game logic. So some things are kinda weird but you just go with it. You learn an access code by listening to someone enter it on keypad. Uh, ok. I guess maybe they repeat it to themselves as they type it..? Whatever

Game is super short. I've played for 4 hours and I think I'm like 65% done. Apparently the switch port is abysmal, too. I've been playing on the ps5 and there's a bit of jank to the controls, like your guy doesn't immediately respond to button presses, so when you press the button to use a door, you're neve sure if it took. And there's weird quirks, like time not freezing while you inspect stuff. So you read some fluff about the type of fish in the aquarium and like 15 minutes of in game time passes.

Regardless, its a super compelling game and if it sounds interesting to you, check it out. Just maybe not on switch if you can help it.

On another topic...what's the difference between outer worlds and outer wilds? One of them gets recommended if you like obra dinn...which one is that?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk where to ask besides here, but are their reviews/previews anywhere of the Switch port of Tunic? It seemed like a cute lil 2D Zelda-type homage game and it should probably run okay on the Switch but you never know.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Detective No. 27 posted:

*PS5 launches*

What we know about the PS5 Pro.

It's coming holiday 2024/25

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Apparently the switch port is abysmal, too.

It has horrible load times and for a game with the core mechanic of repeating loops that's a big issue. Still, I liked it enough to play it despite those issues but I'd probably replay on a PC or other system given the choice.

quote:

On another topic...what's the difference between outer worlds and outer wilds? One of them gets recommended if you like obra dinn...which one is that?

Wilds. Outer Worlds is an RPG made by Obsidian, think Skyrim/Fallout 3 style game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think it’s fair to expect voice actors to be able to portray at least two characters that sound completely different from one another.

Or as in Disco Elysium one who does over 20 that sound completely alike yet different.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Outer Wilds. Outer Worlds is an antiseptic FNV-esque game, Outer Wilds is an exploration/adventure game where you piece together a mystery.

also Outer Wilds managed to run like rear end on my Xbox Series so I would not hold out for the Switch port on that one

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wilds. Outer Worlds is an RPG made by Obsidian, think Skyrim/Fallout 3 style game.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Outer Wilds. Outer Worlds is an antiseptic FNV-esque game, Outer Wilds is an exploration/adventure game where you piece together a mystery.

also Outer Wilds managed to run like rear end on my Xbox Series so I would not hold out for the Switch port on that one

Thanks guys! Outer Worlds is on sale...glad I asked before grabbing it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for the record if you like Bethesda-esque stuff Outer Worlds is fine, it's just kind of undistinguished but it'll scratch that itch real well

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

But I don’t have a choice!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone give Bear and Breakfast a shot? I love casual management stuff like that but hear there’s a bit too much jank. Was thinking of picking it up anyway after I finish Moonglow Bay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played the demo during some steam event, it was pretty fun.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Anybody have some particularly choice Miitopia access codes or a list of codes for goony pop culture Miis? I think Ive pretty much tapped everything I could reasonably find on Miipedia and MiiCharacters, but I'm always on the lookout for more.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Splat3: hey we had a connection error

Me: ok

S3: we went ahead and stopped looking for a round

Me: why

S3: and we dissolved your party

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because there was a connection error OP. Those other two things are just observations by you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You’re right there’s no way they could have made it so it doesn’t do those bad dumb things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
this. when my internet loses connection to the server it should somehow put me in a game anyway

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Or just try again without putting 3 extra steps on me?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Rolo posted:

Or just try again without putting 3 extra steps on me?

no

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Metroid Dread is incredible so far. The only gripe I have is how linear the first hour or so feels. Hoping this opens up a little bit.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rolo posted:

You’re right there’s no way they could have made it so it doesn’t do those bad dumb things.

Is the alternative to keep your squad unable to fill the gap until it's clear you aren't coming back?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finished Haiku the Robot.

Not as good or deep as Hollow Knight, but I enjoyed it maybe more because it had good pacing and less finicky systems.

It's the epitome of "We have Hollow Knight at home". Almost the exact same plot, power ups, upgrade system, very similar npcs, very similar biomes often in the same location you'd expect to see them, same healing system. It's so similar it's hilarious.

If you want a Hollow Knight-alike that will take about ten hours it's a good time!

Pretty easy, though you will die a few times. I probably died like ten times overall, some of that just from being sloppy. Final boss took a out four tries of those ten. True final final boss beat on the first try.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think it's accurate to call someone by their method of paid employment when they do said job.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
you cant be a musician if you only play one instrument in one genre.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

can't be an author if you've only written one book

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Walla posted:

Heard it here first. Keith David isn't a voice actor.

Hey… he’s managed two or three unique sounding characters! He’s pretty awesome all around though and he’s a good example to discredit my previous post.

The Sean posted:

I think it's accurate to call someone by their method of paid employment when they do said job.
You’re right. My statement was meant more about quality, but it doesn’t take too much to think of great voice actors without much range between characters

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 25, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There's a long history of celebrity actors who aren't primarily known for their voice acting skills taking roles and recognition from people who made a career out of fantastic voice acting, this tedious "You cannot define a Voice Actor because technically anyone who has Acted with their Voice is a Voice Actor" argument is pedantic nonsense.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
if youve done voice acting work you are a voice actor

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ghostwritingduck posted:

Hey… he’s managed two or three unique sounding characters! He’s pretty awesome all around though and he’s a good example to discredit my previous post.

You’re right. My statement was meant more about quality, but it doesn’t take too much to think of great voice actors without much range between characters

Wait, Keith David hasn’t used the same basic voice for every character he’s ever played (though somehow they all still feel distinct from one another)? Can you think of any examples out of curiosity?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

Wait, Keith David hasn’t used the same basic voice for every character he’s ever played (though somehow they all still feel distinct from one another)? Can you think of any examples out of curiosity?

i looked up a voice reel and the one voice that didn't sound like his usual (cheshire cat from once upon a time in wonderland) used up-pitching so i think he only has the one setting. tough nut in any case, since if you hire keith david for a VA gig then you're going to want him to sound like keith david

other actors don't fare as well. giancarlo esposito has a sizable part in the cyberpunk anime and doesn't really sound comfortable with it, he over-enunciates everything

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

There's a long history of celebrity actors who aren't primarily known for their voice acting skills taking roles and recognition from people who made a career out of fantastic voice acting, this tedious "You cannot define a Voice Actor because technically anyone who has Acted with their Voice is a Voice Actor" argument is pedantic nonsense.

That sucks and all but its kinda wild to then turn around to "you must have a range of millions to be a real va"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stephen merchant said that his role as wheatley from portal 2 was way more exhausting than a lot of his on-screen parts

there's plenty of overlap but they're still two different skill sets

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

RIP Tony Jay is a legend. He was in everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffle! posted:

RIP Tony Jay is a legend. He was in everything.

If I recall correctly he was a VA that basically only had one voice as well but like Keith David was able to make it work.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

If I recall correctly he was a VA that basically only had one voice as well but like Keith David was able to make it work.

by his admission he had two, his normal voice and his MASTERPIECE THEATER voice. both were irreplaceable

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

by his admission he had two, his normal voice and his MASTERPIECE THEATER voice. both were irreplaceable

Oh yeah, I forgot Tony was the Masterpiece Theater guy as well

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ghostwritingduck posted:

If the VA does two (or more) characters in the same piece of media, and especially if those characters can interact with each other, then yeah, the VA better be able to make them sound distinct from each other. If not then it's fine if the VA only has one "voice", but then they can't complain about getting typecast.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Memories of the Nolan North era where every game that had him was like “do the uncharted guy voice” only for him to be completely unrecognizable as Penguin in the Arkham games

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Larryb posted:

He’s got something going beyond being Keith David in this one, and unlike some of the other examples, I think it’s not being modulated in post.

https://youtu.be/91nfNp7MVIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

man nurse posted:

Memories of the Nolan North era where every game that had him was like “do the uncharted guy voice” only for him to be completely unrecognizable as Penguin in the Arkham games

Also that creepy scumbag in Last of Us 1, which is kinda funny considering the Naughty Dog connection. Some voice actors only have one voice (which is fine) but other guys like him and Steve Blum get ubiquitous because of one big role and so they just get asked to do characters like that ad nauseam.