Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames

Dr. Faustus posted:

Surprise She's Not There out of nowhere. The band was still recovering from the previous song change and I am dying.

Lmao yeah he was just hopping around everywhere, jamming is so much fun. Like playing songs right and stuff is nice but just going off for 10 min on some random poo poo is just a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames

landgrabber posted:

i realized something recently that really made everything come together:

what i love in music is The Climax. there're some songs that put a lot of effort into building to a climax or musical setpiece. 90's weezer was amazing at this (rivers cuomo purposely denied them in the green era + after), but i was looking around at all my other favorite music, and it also has this tendency.

so i think maybe that illuminates why i like what i like and why "classic" stuff doesn't really hit if it doesn't also have that tendency. once i realized this, i started trying to write climaxes into each of my songs, and what do you know? i instantly found them more fun to listen to.

Yeah there are some good climaxes on blue and Pinkerton.

Only in dreams remains the only bass line I know how to play

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mods please rename this thread: the Weezer thread and nothing else.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GUITAR MEGATHREAD (Weezer Cover)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Weezer megathread: Say it ain't so!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
feelings about songs about feelings

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Major Operation posted:

It's the one from this post? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553&userid=222973&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post518681644

We would call that a "hardtail" bridge, not a "fixed" bridge. The alternative on a Fender electric guitar would be a "tremolo" bridge (which is really vibrato, but Fender have mixed those two up since the beginning), like a 60s Mustang, Stratocaster, or Jazzmaster.

Acoustic guitars have fixed bridges, where the strings ride over a single piece of bone as a saddle that you can't easily adjust with a screwdriver.

There should be adjustment screws on the back plate (looks like they will be under the ball end of the string).

This video from Phillip McKnight shows him adjusting intonation on a Strat. Even though it is a tremolo bridge the process is the same because it has the same 6 movable saddles. (You probably don't need step 1 from the video, but a Mustang is 24-inch scale).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn3Zl-4IGsg&t=78s

Based on that picture from last year I would guess low E plays sharp at the 12 fret. You would want to loosen that string, turn the adjustment screw to the right (tighten), a half or full turn at a time, to move the saddle toward the bridge, then tune it back up and check open and at 12 again. Ideally do a final check playing the string while the guitar is in playing position. On some guitars the weight of the neck can pull a string a little bit sharp when it is laying flat vs held upright.

e:f;b

Thanks to both of you! It's good to know that it seems to be as straightforward as hoped. Last year I spent hours on setting up an Ibanez with a locking tremolo bridge so this is a pleasant change.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Anyone have any experience with the Squire Contemporary Stratocasters? I want a strat, and I love the look and feel of roasted maple necks. My only real hesitation is that the 2-point tremolo version is only available in the two ugliest colors in the whole line: black and blue burst. Can you convince me that I don't actually want a tremolo (none of my current guitars have one) or that a black strat is actually good?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
earlier i complained about how the vibrato system in my new guitar impacts the tuning stability.

im slowly warming up to it, learning to get pleasing sounds out of it. but a hard tail bridge is always gonna be more stable and will probably have better sustain.

i think you should get a guitar with a vibrato system if you specifically want that, and avoid it if you are indifferent!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

i realized something recently that really made everything come together:

what i love in music is The Climax. there're some songs that put a lot of effort into building to a climax or musical setpiece. 90's weezer was amazing at this (rivers cuomo purposely denied them in the green era + after), but i was looking around at all my other favorite music, and it also has this tendency.

so i think maybe that illuminates why i like what i like and why "classic" stuff doesn't really hit if it doesn't also have that tendency. once i realized this, i started trying to write climaxes into each of my songs, and what do you know? i instantly found them more fun to listen to.

you could argue this is the entire point of the whole classical period, building up to the biggest climaxes possible and having a huge release

Poverty Cognac
Aug 2, 2014

good jovi posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Squire Contemporary Stratocasters? I want a strat, and I love the look and feel of roasted maple necks. My only real hesitation is that the 2-point tremolo version is only available in the two ugliest colors in the whole line: black and blue burst. Can you convince me that I don't actually want a tremolo (none of my current guitars have one) or that a black strat is actually good?

I have the red one and I really like it, but I prefer hardtails anyway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trems can be fun and aren't that much work to deal with once they're set up properly and you've committed to only using the same brand and gauge of strings and tuning until the end of time. But color is more important as aesthetics are king. Get what you're heart is telling you.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just started learning Pink Floyd - and specifically Time. David Gilmour is a cheeky poo poo with all those full and 1 1/2 bends. My fingers hurt like hell.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what are some other good RAT-like things that are decidedly not RATs?

i still firmly believe that RAT Is Best Pedal, but another fuzzy, super useful, mid-loving distortion that would compliment it in a mix would be pretty useful for me

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

or maybe a better question is just: what's a good rat with more options/tweakability? curious about getting some adjustment out of one.

i love my RAT dearly and sometimes just wish i could massage it in a bit of a different direction.

i will say the Tone Chase is basically over. i'm VERY happy with what i'm getting out of my hot rod deville set cleanly, with the RAT going into it, with my JB guitar going into that. tone is mostly a solved problem for me these days-- i mainly am curious about a more adjustable RAT so that i could keep tone i like, while adjusting it a little bit, for adding more guitar tracks, that are different but gel well together.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

JHS makes a pedal that's basically 9 different versions of the RAT in one. I remember watching their demo video of it and it seemed pretty neat if you really want to be able to do a deep dive into that particular sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fp2-IMiVxM

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

lg you should take that RAT you love (we all love it) and feed it a boost or a fuzz, little bits at a time, and see how hairy it gets. Feed it an octave fuzz (french toast!) or an EQ if you're looking for something specific that you'd like to dial in specifically. The RAT is a great platform for craziness fore and aft. It's got all the sauce you need, just add some spice before or after.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

You might like a Big Muff w/ a different tone stack, I have one thats a Baxandall and one w/ a bypass and they both get Rat-ish for me

Caveat: I've never clicked w/ rats (but am only just figuring out Marshall style amps). The closest I got was a Katzenkonig (clone) that is most of a Fuzzface into half a Rat, but part of why I sold it is getting a big muff there isn't that hard.

You also might like a Klon(e), into the rat. They're kinda cool as far as dirty od goes. Or maybe a DS-1? (again maybe into the rat). Classic for a reason

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

landgrabber posted:

or maybe a better question is just: what's a good rat with more options/tweakability? curious about getting some adjustment out of one.

i love my RAT dearly and sometimes just wish i could massage it in a bit of a different direction.

i will say the Tone Chase is basically over. i'm VERY happy with what i'm getting out of my hot rod deville set cleanly, with the RAT going into it, with my JB guitar going into that. tone is mostly a solved problem for me these days-- i mainly am curious about a more adjustable RAT so that i could keep tone i like, while adjusting it a little bit, for adding more guitar tracks, that are different but gel well together.

Reutz modded rats (the ones with an extra knob at least) take one of the saturation points of the rat and turn it into an extra gain control allowing you to dial it back a bit.

The joyo splinter is apparently a very good cheap fat rat clone with a mosfet clipping option.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a cool guitar band i have been getting into lately is The Muffs.

kim shattuck writes great pop punk hooks, and Blonder and Blonder sounds a lot like a green day album without the things that have aged kind of poorly about green day.

plus, always on the look out for cool punk women to cure the dysphoria.

always in awe of how simple the songs are but how much i like them

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

landgrabber posted:

a cool guitar band i have been getting into lately is The Muffs.

kim shattuck writes great pop punk hooks, and Blonder and Blonder sounds a lot like a green day album without the things that have aged kind of poorly about green day.

always in awe of how simple the songs are but how much i like them

You may also like The Gits, real sad what happened to their singer though.
Also L7 are worth a go if you aren't familiar.
And I guess early Hole even though its Courtney Love.
Riot Grrrl as a genre will probably have a lot of bands you might enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_6yIvmzgw

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Live Through This blows everything nirvana ever did out of the water

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's a great record for sure, as is the Ask For It EP, and even the shiny Celebrity Skin has its moments too.

Courtney is one of those musicians where sometimes it can be hard for people to separate art from artist (ignoring conspiracy theories), but her lyrics do seem to paint a picture of how she views reality and I like that.
I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on some genuinely good songs, regardless of who wrote the music behind them, just cos it's her.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Came across this on KEXP's YouTube channel and was hooked 12 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc44OFKobFQ

KEXP has terrible mixing, so check out their actual recordings, too.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

NonzeroCircle posted:

You may also like The Gits, real sad what happened to their singer though.
Also L7 are worth a go if you aren't familiar.
Riot Grrrl as a genre will probably have a lot of bands you might enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_6yIvmzgw

i love the song Celebrity Skin a lot actually. everyone for my entire life has been telling me that i have to like nirvana and then acting like i'm stupid when i don't. no nirvana song i've heard builds to a climax the way i like in songs. that's the poo poo i live for, i almost unfortunately have a hard time listening to music when it doesn't have that, or lots of weird development/section changes to make up for it.

i like courtney love because even though she's a crazy person, she's not invested in how much people like her. i can't find the source, but someone told me she had a line to the effect of "everybody likes the foo fighters, but they're nobody's favorite band" and i think that's really incisive actually.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

landgrabber posted:

Two great ones from the 90s:

The ultimate 90s punk vocal goddess- Cinder from the band Tilt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnL6M8kCQ18
Literally a Top 3 for me on both Lookout! and Fat

and Selby Tigers were more garage but pretty fierce:

Selby Tigers' Arzu Gokcen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBrBVUTkM50

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

that Tilt song is really good! it reminds me a bit of jawbreaker actually. not a bad thing at all.

kind of gear post: very excited because in the next couple days i should have the money to finally get my guitar wiring unfucked

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

landgrabber posted:

You know of "the slits" right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSq3-lE377Q

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Got a whooooole lotta pedals this year but the Earthquaker Afterneath V3 is one of my favorites. It can do things I did not think were possible or good sounding but in fact are both. Expression pedal is a must.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't know if it's happened recently somehow, or I managed to not notice but both pickups are active on my Gretsch regardless of the switch position. I'm going to have a poke around but that would presumably be an issue with the switch itself, right? I don't think I've done anything there, but I guess something happened when I switched the pickups from the blacktops to real Filtertrons.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
LG you might like (unfortunately defunct) Legendary Divorce:
https://legendarydivorce.bandcamp.com/album/horizontal-2

Itarya is an incredible singer, it's like when Courtney Love goes to 100%, that's Itarya's 60%.

My understanding is that she's not great to work with, and that's why her bands all implode after 1-2 albums but goddamn they're all pretty great. She also put out albums with Low Dose and Rid Of Me that are decent to great, but I think her best work was with Legendary Divorce.

Hulk Krogan posted:

JHS makes a pedal that's basically 9 different versions of the RAT in one. I remember watching their demo video of it and it seemed pretty neat if you really want to be able to do a deep dive into that particular sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fp2-IMiVxM

I always lol that one of them is just the tone knob backwards.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

landgrabber posted:

plus, always on the look out for cool punk women to cure the dysphoria

I submit Dream Nails

https://youtu.be/7IjGlJT5sAs

e: Actually I believe the singer at least is non-binary but I think they will still fit the general brief for you. They play feminist Riot Grrl kinda punk.

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 26, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

chippy posted:

I submit Dream Nails

https://youtu.be/7IjGlJT5sAs

e: Actually I believe the singer at least is non-binary but I think they will still fit the general brief for you. They play feminist Riot Grrl kinda punk.

Oh I went to school with their guitarist. Yeah their cutrent singer is NB but not the singer in that vid.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 26, 2022

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

landgrabber posted:

The TC Electronic Magus Pro is another take on the Rat that has an additional switch to change up the sound, while still staying under $100 new. Not to be confused with their Grand Magus, which is just a Rat clone.
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0EBX

Stacking an overdrive pedal with asymmetrical clipping after the Rat might also be an idea here? The word on asymmetrical clipping overdrives/distortions is they amplify odd and even order harmonics above the fundamental, which would be why the most famous asymmetrical clipping pedal, Boss SD-1, has a bit more aggressive/dissonant tone than a Tube Screamer.

The Boss SD-1 may not be what you want to try this with because it definitely has a pronounced effect on EQ, boosting mids by quite a bit and cutting lows.

If you can find a way to try one out with a Rat, the Timmy (available in the cheaper MXR custom shop form) has an asymmetrical clipping mode and is known for being fairly transparent.

Other somewhat cheap overdrives with asymmetrical clipping you might be able to try/borrow: Earthquaker Plumes or MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D. The Plumes selects clipping modes with a switch (like the Timmy). The MXR CBAMOD, in addition to being tediously named, is supposedly asymmetric like the SD-1 with more tone options, according to people that claim to have analyzed the circuit board.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The MXR badass pedals have the most dogshit names. I had a badass 79 for a bit which is a decent DS1 derived dist but I suspect you don’t see many on boards because the eyes glaze over the naming scheme.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

I've mentioned it before, but check out the Black Mass 1312. Its a bunch of RAT circuits in one pedal, it has a burning cop car graphic, it comes in pink, and half the proceeds are given to trans rights and BLM support orgs.

And for cool punk girls, you should check out Amyl and the Sniffers.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

https://youtu.be/CkzI93Aqztk

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Disco Pope posted:

I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

This is rad.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Disco Pope posted:

That's a fun song and video - thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Starting to come together...