Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I mean, more constructively, the problem is housing scarcity. The lottery is just the closest thing to a solution that exists without solving the scarcity problem, since it doesn't gate people out by anything other than chance.

Blah blah island isn't housing--just making the next upgrade include the ability to either 1) turn the headquarters into a house or 2) use a plot on the island for a manor house would solve most of the issue. It would get the people who don't care as much about showing off their yard out of the market and leave the districts for folks who want the benefits of a publicly visible house.

Considering that when the island waa new enough people were using it that it locked people not just from the island but also housing it seems like 'make the island into housing' is not a workable solution

The issue remains server load and if they are more then they can just add more houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Island Sanctuary was a special case where it was brand new content that everyone was piling in on, so server issues were to be expected. It's already fully possible for a large chunk of the server to be hanging out in a private house and stressing the servers as it is, but this isn't the case, and opening up new housing won't fundamentally change that. This either points to limited housing being a matter of data storage (e.g. tracking housing inventory for a larger portion of each server's population will overly strain their database; it's a possibility that this directly eats into the budget for things like larger Glamour Chest space), or an intentional design decision to foster a sense of social space in the preexisting neighborhoods.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wouldn't even care about housing if the Apartments and FC house rooms had a balcony to place outdoor furniture on.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Not really, if you could schedule at all you could get in at a time you only had to worry about one or two people the old way. That's how I got my house before it got bulldozed one year. Much better odds imo than being 1 out of 300

I’m not sure when you bought your house, but when I got mine about a year ago every single plot I showed up to had thirty people around it madly clicking away on the placard regardless of the time of day. It took me over a month to finally land the right click at the right time, which involved waking up early and staying up late to be in the “prime time” where most sales happened. I was constantly checking a Discord server run by a thriving community of people who swept for fresh plots every hour, collected data about sale prices and times, and shared tips and tricks on when to show up to click on platforms and how to do so efficiently and sustainably. It adversely affected my life, because I structured my days to maximize my time sitting in front of a computer to click the same three buttons over and over and over.

I do not miss this and do not wish it on anyone.

In contrast, when I’d bought my previous house, I walked up to the placard, where nobody else was waiting, and ran some roulettes while I waited for the purchase to unlock. This was about three years ago, before the massive popularity spike dramatically increased demand for housing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

blastron posted:

In contrast, when I’d bought my previous house, I walked up to the placard, where nobody else was waiting, and ran some roulettes while I waited for the purchase to unlock. This was about three years ago, before the massive popularity spike dramatically increased demand for housing.

I said "Hey what does that gavel on the map mean" walked over, clicked, and then asked to borrow a few mil from my guildies because it was available right now and nobody had apparently noticed.

It was a bit over a year ago I think (I had bad enough difficulties with timescales before the Land of Corona), and an absurd stroke of luck.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I got my medium plot in the Goblet during Stormblood (so 4 to 5 years ago) for the lowest possible price because it had been sitting empty. I actually shopped around for a plot I liked because there were about a dozen mediums on the market on my server across all wards but Shirogane, which filled up within minutes of the server going live.

It could have been just because there were fewer people on Exodus at the time or just fewer players in general, but it was a buyer's market on that server for a long time and there was no waiting at all.

Not like that anymore, though.

I entered a medium plot lottery for Ishgard when it launched, with 6 other competitors, and lost. I've also tried to get a plot in Shirogane whenever a medium opens up, but those have had 200 to 300 on them. I've never tried the clickfest placard game but my FC mates have and it sounded horrible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My hot take is allowing personal houses in neighborhoods was a mistake from the start. I say this as someone who has a large personal house. Neighborhoods should be 100% FCs only. Then you might actually see people around and not have them be ghost towns majority of the time.

Then they should have given everyone an instanced personal house, but make it a cross between Island Sanctuary, Genshin Impact, and Animal Crossing.

Give everyone a free plot of land to start. Then have gameplay/monetary costs for upgrading the size ala Animal Crossing.

Then everyone can get a large house, should they want it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everyone should get 40 acres and a catgirl/boy.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Bruceski posted:

Everyone should get 40 acres and a catgirl/malecatgirl.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wonder if G'raha's actor getting a steady stream of high profile work means we'll eventually see less of him. I have no clue realistically how long the recording sessions take of course, just a stray thought the talk of cat people brought up

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

My hot take is allowing personal houses in neighborhoods was a mistake from the start. I say this as someone who has a large personal house. Neighborhoods should be 100% FCs only. Then you might actually see people around and not have them be ghost towns majority of the time.

Then they should have given everyone an instanced personal house, but make it a cross between Island Sanctuary, Genshin Impact, and Animal Crossing.

Give everyone a free plot of land to start. Then have gameplay/monetary costs for upgrading the size ala Animal Crossing.

Then everyone can get a large house, should they want it.

I agree with this. I get where they were going with housing, but in practice it leads to fully occupied wards with no people in them. I've posted before about my ideal instanced housing scenario, where it's an MSQ-related reward at the end of ARR, for example, and you get your choice of locale, and then there is an additional offering in each of the expansions and you have the option to move if you want. You can access it from an NPC in each of the main cities, kind of like the Drydocks guy for the Island, and it would have the same ability to invite friends, party members or FC mates.

The toothpaste is out of the tube now, so I doubt they'd do it, but who knows, right? Maybe instanced personal housing will be the big selling feature of the next expansion.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I wonder if G'raha's actor getting a steady stream of high profile work means we'll eventually see less of him. I have no clue realistically how long the recording sessions take of course, just a stray thought the talk of cat people brought up
I don't really think they schedule the game development around the actors, especially outside of Japan. Worst comes to worst and his schedule is catastrophically overbooked, they'll just recast.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hogama posted:

I don't really think they schedule the game development around the actors, especially outside of Japan. Worst comes to worst and his schedule is catastrophically overbooked, they'll just recast.

Oh sure, yeah I just meant like scheduling conflicts

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I also suspect that individual voice actors don't require too much extensive time in the booth. If he plays a major role in an expansion, I'm sure they'd be able to get in for a week of time over the expansion's development.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, if he’s really not available they’ll just recast him. They aren’t going to change the story because one out of the four VAs for a character isn’t able to do it.

A lot of actors do VA stuff on the side though, even pretty well-known ones. I doubt it’s that much of a time commitment.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I also expect that someone who has been playing a character for a while probably needs less time committed to recording than a new actor. Less coaching, etc, to get the vibe right. So fewer takes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

From what I had read, they drift 1 hour the first time only and from there it's automatically at 48 hours. But that information could have been incorrect.

I paid attention to it now. The plants were sparkly and ready to harvest when I logged in just before 9 PM. The mammets only took them when it ticked over to 9PM. Then 2 days later they were ready after 9 and were harvested at 10, and today they were ready at 10 and got harvested at 11. So it definitely drifts one hour every harvest.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

P7S down. Don't think I liked the fight as much as I imagined before I started progging it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Just let me have a retainer and hair bell on the island tia.... and a glam dresser

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tekopo posted:

P7S down. Don't think I liked the fight as much as I imagined before I started progging it.

2% enrage on that one today, hopefully we have more luck next week.
The worst part about that fight is that there are 3 mechanics where one player being out of position can cause a wipe at the very end :smithicide:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

GloomMouse posted:

Just let me have a retainer and hair bell on the island tia.... and a glam dresser

I want a hammock that works like a bed. The final prize for rank 11 or whatever will be special animations for hammock naps

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://twitch.tv/videos/1599596137

lmao

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

whm moment

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

If these were on my island, I'd never leave.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

If it was the Japanese actor then I wouldn't be surprised if they retired the character or something, but I doubt they care much about the non-Japanese actors to influence the direction of the game. They already recast everyone once in HW, after all.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah the only reason I don’t always log out on the island is there’s no retainer bell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Veotax posted:

If it was the Japanese actor then I wouldn't be surprised if they retired the character or something, but I doubt they care much about the non-Japanese actors to influence the direction of the game. They already recast everyone once in HW, after all.

Sure but they also haven't recast anyone since then outside of

y'know, the murders

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Vermain posted:

I think they're still experimenting with the current code in a controlled way to see how much more they can stretch out the whole glamour system. Something interesting I noticed is that you can switch plates in Moraby Drydocks, which is the first proper outdoor area I think you've been able to do it in (maybe Mor Dhona?), so they may be using it as a test case to see both how frequently it gets used and what sort of impact it has on the servers.

Hey in case you didn't know, you can now use glam plates at any "sanctuary," that is, any town or Aetheryte.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
been leveling some classes to 90 and I have some questions

1. When in the gently caress did Brayflox normal get a tank buster (and the poison pools are gone, rest in piss)
2. So I guess they fixed the thing about Dancer where you had to use some of the AOE skills in your single target rotation because of the Flourish changes?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MechaX posted:

been leveling some classes to 90 and I have some questions

1. When in the gently caress did Brayflox normal get a tank buster (and the poison pools are gone, rest in piss)
2. So I guess they fixed the thing about Dancer where you had to use some of the AOE skills in your single target rotation because of the Flourish changes?

6.1 and 6.0

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You should do toto-rak and copperbell, they changed those too

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

You should do toto-rak and copperbell, they changed those too

Most of the stuff that got trusts got changed to at least some extent; e.g. Snowcloak and Keeper of the Lake have obvious boss changes (and probably so does the 3.0 stuff I haven't seen yet)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Most of the stuff that got trusts got changed to at least some extent; e.g. Snowcloak and Keeper of the Lake have obvious boss changes (and probably so does the 3.0 stuff I haven't seen yet)

3.0 mostly got various marker changes to onboard people sooner. The Aery's the one that got the biggest revamp: the second boss is focused around flammable gas zones that you have to dance around instead of the weird fart cloud mechanic, and Nidhogg is far more like his trial incarnation (Hot Tail/Hot Wing and those eyeball ground markers) with a vastly shorter add phase.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Copperbell no longer has bosses that exist primarily as an experiment to see how much of the players' time can be wasted.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

i miss the platforms breaking in sohr khai

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GloomMouse posted:

i actually did that one today and had a moment of existential crisis when the platforms didn't vanish, glad to know it was a recent change

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

GloomMouse posted:

i had that one today and assumed my groups dps was high enough to break the fight, despite the fight not going any faster than usual

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hooray, I'm on vacation! Come read about Samurai stuff in the Stormblood LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'd wager most of the fan mail (or its modern equivalent) he gets is over this one character though