Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Three pounds and change!
It shouldn't take this long.

Unless the sweet potato I added tripled the time?

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is why I always throw on some sausages and chicken thighs too.

I did this too and they were all done at lunch as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Not trying to tell you your business brotha but that thing is definitely done. A solid masonry brick would be at temp after 12 hours.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, check the temp in a few other spots and maybe use a different probe just in case.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

If you're not getting resistance when probing, it's done regardless of what a thermometer says (even if 150-ish is pretty low)

I'm guessing at 3 lbs that thing is going to be seriously dried out

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

HootTheOwl posted:

Three pounds and change!
It shouldn't take this long.

Have you double checked that your thermometer is good?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

At 745, after about an hour in the oven it quickly came to temperature and it's very good and juicy.
I do think that the oven turned the bark into a crust, which isn't as good but the rest of it: good.
I believe the thermometer because when I moved it to the oven I sawed off a taste and it was very tough and felt undercooked. Sure enough now it isn't.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'd guess the thermometer in your smoker is borked then. I'd definitely check it before the next use.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Both the ambient and meat probes were off in my pellet grill - the ambient was off by like 25 degrees. I bought a Thermoworks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Maybe the thermometer was set to Celsius

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
So my wife has requested that I prepare lamb on a rotisserie for Oxi Day. I'm all about any holiday that commemorates telling Mussolini to gently caress off and die, so now we're down to equipment. I have a Weber kettle so it seems like a grill attachment is the way to go.

Basic internet consensus seems to be that the Cajun Bandit battery-powered model is the one to get if you're willing to spend the extra $100 (I am, grudgingly) and if it's in stock (it's not, although I can wait a couple weeks if needed). It also sounds like the Amazon-based "onlyfire" brand is better and cheaper than the Weber-branded model.

Anyone have any experience with either of these and/or another model that didn't come up as I was looking?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

So my wife has requested that I prepare lamb on a rotisserie for Oxi Day. I'm all about any holiday that commemorates telling Mussolini to gently caress off and die, so now we're down to equipment. I have a Weber kettle so it seems like a grill attachment is the way to go.

Basic internet consensus seems to be that the Cajun Bandit battery-powered model is the one to get if you're willing to spend the extra $100 (I am, grudgingly) and if it's in stock (it's not, although I can wait a couple weeks if needed). It also sounds like the Amazon-based "onlyfire" brand is better and cheaper than the Weber-branded model.

Anyone have any experience with either of these and/or another model that didn't come up as I was looking?

I have the onlyfire and it's worked great for me. Only real issue is having to use pliers to sufficiently screw the forks onto the spit. Otherwise they can come loose.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have a cajun bandit rotisserie. I've upgraded to a more powerful and plug in motor, but otherwise I love it! I cook chickens on it maybe every other week.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

They hardly ever carry bone-in pork butt at our Costco, so I grabbed some and a few nice looking chuck roasts. Going to smell good in the neighborhood today!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Rain rain rain all goddamn weekend…

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chuck roasts turned out nice. I added 1/4 cup of broth and wrapped in foil at 160, pulled at 205.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Atticus_1354 posted:

Have you double checked that your thermometer is good?

Ok, so this might be the issue:
I had it at 225 for an hour and the built-in thermometer says it was at about 217 when I went out to check.
According to the oven thermometer thermometer it wasn't even at 200
I've cranked it up to the max (275) and we'll see what that means.

E: Update, an hour later, it says it's at 272, my thermometer says under 250. It looks like it's over estimating tempratures by about 30 degrees.
For refrence, I tested this thermometer in the oven when I bought it this afternoon and it seemed to be accurate.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 2, 2022

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What kind of smoker? Thermometers on them are often accurate but they may be at a location that isn’t representative of what the meat is seeing. For example, the dome temp reading in a Weber Smokey mountain, for me, was often much higher than the temp at the meat. While the big green egg dome temp, after a settling period, is often within five degrees of the temp at the grates.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bob A Feet posted:

What kind of smoker? Thermometers on them are often accurate but they may be at a location that isn’t representative of what the meat is seeing. For example, the dome temp reading in a Weber Smokey mountain, for me, was often much higher than the temp at the meat. While the big green egg dome temp, after a settling period, is often within five degrees of the temp at the grates.

Masterbuilt 30inch digital electric.

E: which means that I'm limited to about 240 degrees because it has a set range of temps to set to from 100 to 275

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 2, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

First time ever doing a cowboy cut ribeye. This is going to be something I start doing more often because it was amazing.

Started by smoking it with a mix of mesquite and hickory wood at 250F. Pulled it at about 120F and seared it until about 130F. Rested while I made a side salad then cut.

Flavorful, crisp crust while the inside was super soft. Didn't even need a knife!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Beautiful.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Butts

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nice. Costco has really, really good pork products, at least where I live.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Nice. Costco has really, really good pork products, at least where I live.

I've been super impressed with their meat department, only bummer is that they only have the bone-in pork butts very rarely. They just seem to hold together while smoking much better than the bone out ones.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Bob A Feet posted:

I installed extra thermometers on my cheap offset and it's crazy how the temperature ranges between the two placed at the grate level, and the one at the top center of the lid.

My thermometer near the offset will typically read 50°F higher than the one under the chimney and my lid thermometer will easily read 100°F or more higher than under the chimney.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The worst is that it seems to vary throughout the cook and with different weather conditions on the dome thermo on the WSM. Sometimes it's higher than at the grate and sometimes it's lower.

I feel like you could use it to at least stay in the ballpark of your temp and pull off a decent cook (did a few butts on the WSM with just dome thermo) but it's good to have a probe at the grate so you know what's going on.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been super impressed with their meat department, only bummer is that they only have the bone-in pork butts very rarely. They just seem to hold together while smoking much better than the bone out ones.

I’ve never even bothered with a boneless butt in the smoker, seems like a waste of time even though I’m sure the end result is very delicious. But why, if you can instead have a piece with all the connective tissue still in place?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I’ve bought a couple boneless butts over the years and they all came out just fine.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ive only done a couple boneless but I did not notice a difference in the end product between bone in and boneless butts I have cooked.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's only going to make a difference in wet cooking methods like braising where you're keeping all that liquid. A bone-in cut is going to give you way more collagen and gelatin and so it's going to have more body and build a way better broth or sauce. Smoking we're not capturing that so the difference isn't going to be noticeable.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Maybe it's a trimming failure on my end, but for me boneless always seem to have thin sections of meat that cook much quicker than the rest of it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Only real difference I’ve had with boneless is missing that very satisfying feeling of sliding the clean bone out when it’s finally done.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone have a spice/rub shaker that actually seals well (so everything doesn't attract humidity and turn into a solid lump)?

Only thing I've seen so far is this on amazon, and the holes are maybe a bit too large and it has the big opening for a spoon I don't want to accidentally dump a pile of rub on.
https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Seasoning-ProKeepers-Seasonings/dp/B07HJTLVYT

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anyone have a spice/rub shaker that actually seals well (so everything doesn't attract humidity and turn into a solid lump)?

Only thing I've seen so far is this on amazon, and the holes are maybe a bit too large and it has the big opening for a spoon I don't want to accidentally dump a pile of rub on.
https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Seasoning-ProKeepers-Seasonings/dp/B07HJTLVYT

Unless you vacuum seal it every time you open it, this is inevitable.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just have a simple metal one and stick a piece of wax paper over the top and put the lid on over that then put it away. I'm in Florida where the humidity is 100% all day every day and I've only had it clump up once, nothing shaking the can hard before taking the wax paper out didn't solve.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

But it’s so much fun to smash the bottle against the wall and break up the rub brick.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I’ve done rubs with brown sugar in the oven for a few minutes to help them to declump. That being said, I have put a few desiccant packets in the back of my spice cabinets: I live in Florida; it’s directly over my stove; my exhaust hood sucks (not in a good way).

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I’ve done rubs with brown sugar in the oven for a few minutes to help them to declump. That being said, I have put a few desiccant packets in the back of my spice cabinets: I live in Florida; it’s directly over my stove; my exhaust hood sucks (not in a good way).

Hmmm… I usually just use desiccant packets for ammo cans.

Almost forgot you can use them for food :prepop:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

What's everyone's tri tip cooking preference? I've never actually done one before and I'm leaning toward the traditional reverse sear. But I've seen where people have smoked it like brisket to great results.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dango Bango posted:

What's everyone's tri tip cooking preference? I've never actually done one before and I'm leaning toward the traditional reverse sear. But I've seen where people have smoked it like brisket to great results.

If I am doing a whole tri tip, I smoke low (250-275F) to med-rare, pull and rest. Sear, rest. Serve. Either super thin slices for sandwiches or thicker slices like a steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dango Bango posted:

I don't know, I left California