Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I mean I love stone soup (used to) but God bless tangledeep for my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wanted to like Tangledeep but I cannot deal with the constant need of managing consumables.
Plus the meta game is annoying too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I wanted to like Tangledeep but I cannot deal with the constant need of managing consumables.
Plus the meta game is annoying too.

you can turn on heal-by-waiting and some other game modifiers that make its gameplay loop more like a traditional roguelike with less consumable dependence, and the metagame is extremely optional - it's designed to be beaten without pets, trees, or item dreams

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Inadequately posted:

"This is a glorified flash game, why does it have pretensions of being a 'real' game" is such a dumb criticism in this day and age. Flash is gone, and the entire ecosystem of online aggregators went with it. Nowadays, releasing your game as a standalone title on the app store of your choice is pretty much the only way your game will get any traction. If you're specifically mad that games you have to pay actual money for don't have shiny 3D triple-A graphics on par with whatever the military shooter du jour currently is, then I'm not sure you've realized what thread this is.

the new "is this a flash game?" is "was this design in development to be a phone game?"
it reaches conspiratorial levels

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Brotatos look definitely reminds me of flash games on newgrounds

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jazerus posted:

you can turn on heal-by-waiting and some other game modifiers that make its gameplay loop more like a traditional roguelike with less consumable dependence, and the metagame is extremely optional - it's designed to be beaten without pets, trees, or item dreams

While I have no doubt this is true my lizard brain insists on trying to engage with the systems since they're there, and I end up playing something else.

Edit: After 7.3 hours of Errannorth Chronicles I just realized there are points of interest in between the named towns.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 25, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

Brotatos look definitely reminds me of flash games on newgrounds

Yeah the sprite style looks similar. Maybe the dev did Flash galés before.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Malthael Death is pretty rough.

Tiny Rogues has a very similar issue to what Hades had, in which the powerups are so carefully apportioned out (and most of them are just straight stat boosts) so you can't really go hog wild on interactions.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Id love some free rerolls early on, since early perks kinda decide what you go for

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Upsidads posted:

I mean I love stone soup (used to) but God bless tangledeep for my eyes.

Nothing is easier on the eyes than ASCII :colbert:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Malthael Death is pretty rough.

Tiny Rogues has a very similar issue to what Hades had, in which the powerups are so carefully apportioned out (and most of them are just straight stat boosts) so you can't really go hog wild on interactions.

I made a post in the steam forum so the dev would see it, imo there is a bit too much RNG, in lots of runs you won't be able to get a appropriate build combining your class,weapon and equipment,there aren't enough times you get a weapon and equipment item for that (taking in account 2/3 of the times the game will give something useless, like a mage hat for your warrior or an axe for your archer)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 25, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh god the alter form of the twin heart in TVRUHH, lmao, we are gundam now

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I think the big thing in Tiny Rogues is that Int is wildly powerful compared to Str or Dex. Int weapons do excellent baseline damage, they tend to be very easy to aim, and they have an extra multiplier in the form of the Mana mechanic. I can annihilate bosses in half the time (or less!) with them compared to the other archetypes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh god the alter form of the twin heart in TVRUHH, lmao, we are gundam now

wait playable characters have those?

i'd already stopped playing because the grind for colored whatsits got to be too much by the time i got the twins unlocked at all

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Ciaphas posted:

wait playable characters have those?

i'd already stopped playing because the grind for colored whatsits got to be too much by the time i got the twins unlocked at all

Yea, there's an alter for each character now, for use in, get this, Altered story mode.

There's a lot of fun modes to play around in now, which really makes things feel less like a grind, tetrids just become a thing you go and spend every couple runs. Only freeplay really cares about having a bunch of stuff radiated.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 25, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah you beat alter story mode with your standard heart, and then you get the alter form

Mithross posted:

Yea, there's an alter for each character now, for use in, get this, Altered story mode.

and endless nightmare as well, nifty

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there's an alter story

you can't see it but i'm banging my forehead on my desk atm, promise

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah you beat alter story mode with your standard heart, and then you get the alter form

and endless nightmare as well, nifty

Yea I realized I might've sounded a bit snide and added actual useful information in an edit, but people already posted.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ciaphas posted:

there's an alter story

you can't see it but i'm banging my forehead on my desk atm, promise

it adds an extra chapter after the boss fight of 3 battles and then ends with another boss fight chapter, if you do any shiny or radiant chapters you can end up doing like 8 chapters. its nuts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what the gently caress are shiny and radiant ch-

no you know what nevermind, at this point yet more grinding away for the necessary tetrids or whatever other metaprog just gives me a headache to think about

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Honestly the only grinding thing that makes me roll my eyes so far in tvruhh is getting quick play levels; you pick up tetrids really fast in the more difficult regular runs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah and once you have the radiant garden going you can pretty much laser focus on radiating thorned monsters so you can unlock the other 2 modes

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I wouldn't say you need to 'grind' in any sense in TVRUHH - there's a lot of stuff to spend tetrids on, but the only things that actually require notable amounts are cross-run inventory expansion (nearly pointless, there as a sink) and endless mode options, which are, you know, endless

Plus, I'm not sure there's anything to do to gain tetrids other than "play the game completely normally"
Like, in most games, grinding is a specific thing you do that's boring and/or counterintuitive, like stopping to wander in circles for an hour in a JRPG, but there's nothing comparable in TVRUHH, you just... play the game, and the tetrids fall into your pocket as you play, automatically. You get tetrids or fractions thereof for every fight, no other options; I guess theoretically you could aim for fights like Nova or shiny fights that'll give you more, but an additional, like, 7% of tetrids per run doesn't seem like anything worth expending any effort on, especially when you could probably get the same or better return by focusing on fights you're good at and will earn more points on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game constantly makes you choose between meta-progression currency and run power ups.
You're heavily incentivized to gimp your runs to get more tetrids.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really love the shiny fights... my lovely friends... love to hang out with momo and the murder blossoms <3

John Lee posted:

I wouldn't say you need to 'grind' in any sense in TVRUHH - there's a lot of stuff to spend tetrids on, but the only things that actually require notable amounts are cross-run inventory expansion (nearly pointless, there as a sink) and endless mode options, which are, you know, endless

Plus, I'm not sure there's anything to do to gain tetrids other than "play the game completely normally"
Like, in most games, grinding is a specific thing you do that's boring and/or counterintuitive, like stopping to wander in circles for an hour in a JRPG, but there's nothing comparable in TVRUHH, you just... play the game, and the tetrids fall into your pocket as you play, automatically. You get tetrids or fractions thereof for every fight, no other options; I guess theoretically you could aim for fights like Nova or shiny fights that'll give you more, but an additional, like, 7% of tetrids per run doesn't seem like anything worth expending any effort on, especially when you could probably get the same or better return by focusing on fights you're good at and will earn more points on.

i mean the thing to actually aim for in a run if you want more tetrids is the radiant garden, radiate some, extract one for your lowest or whatever a thorned monster needs most of if you are unlocking the other game modes, etc. etc. but like... you can totally just play the game normally and you are fine as well lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

The game constantly makes you choose between meta-progression currency and run power ups.

feeding tetrids for trade events is like nothing in the long run and you can always choose to just not do it, the only ones i ever do feed are the radiant tetrids because they get close to maxing the bars. this is literally not a problem unless if you have brain worms.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

feeding tetrids for trade events is like nothing in the long run and you can always choose to just not do it, the only ones i ever do feed are the radiant tetrids because they get close to maxing the bars. this is literally not a problem unless if you have brain worms.

to be fair, it still sucks on principle

especially not knowing wtf a radiant garden is or ever having seen anything in game referring to such

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Jack Trades posted:

This would be a valid complaint - "You spend your metaprogression currency on in-run powerups, forcing you to choose between meta or run progression" - in, like, dozens of other games, but you don't power up in Void Rains with tetrids

The 'metaprogression' isn't any kind of powerups, except in the most tenuous sense, where you can spend tetrids to radiate things, allowing you to identify rewards during a run or fight the monsters in the single-battle score/time attack mode, Quickplay. It's not new option unlocks, either; you could argue that you're 'unlocking' lore when you radiate an item or a monster, I guess? There's also the items you can find and radiate to give you more Quick Gifts, I guess, that let you carry more small items. That's a measurable increase, but it's still not much and they're all very cheap.

And even if you did have to give up an item or two because of your tetrid addiction, which you don't, it's hardly 'gimping the run.'

Gameplay goes like this: Play game, get tetrids, radiate items with tetrids (to be able to identify the item later in-run, or lore), radiate monsters with tetrids (to be able to fight the monster in Quickplay, or lore)

That's almost literally it - there's a handful of events that let you spend tetrids that I might, tentatively describe as metaprogression, like the rift events (which let you send an item from one run to a future run, and are probably my least favorite design decision, but thankfully ignorable), endless mode (to see more items) and a couple monster events (I can only remember Blot, but there's probably another couple). There's also Abyss, I guess, but that's literally spending tetrids for the ability to give away a shitload of max health, bombs, and items in exchange for score, so it's not anything like what you're talking about.

There's a handful, like three or four, monster events where you can trade items for other items AND you can trade a few tetrids if you want (no more than four or five, in a game where you easily get 30-60 a run) for more items, but missing out on that thing you MIGHT see, 0-1 times a run (you only get one trading event per run) is hardly a gimp, and the things you're trading, again, don't give you any powerups other than one-time, cheap inventory size increases for consumables. Tetrids are for Fun and In-Run Powerups, and you're losing out on nothing by spending them in a run.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Spending tetrids on a run tends to turn a challenge in to a cake walk and the meta-progression tends to only ever increases new modes play, revealing the possible rewards, or some light tweaks to power.

Everything that directly increases your power like gifts, once unlocked are always unlocked no matter if you radiate them or not, and things that do increase your chances like the Nightmare mode shop upgrades also tend to have pretty hefty skill check locks.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Knowing what rewards you're being offered is a serious power increase. It's the difference between having a bunch of random anti-synergistic crap and having an actual build.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
does anyone else feel like the game does tend to throw you gifts that synergize tho? it might be some sort of bias on my part but it always feels like if i get like 2 of a type i am going to start seeing a lot more of that type

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Snooze Cruise posted:

does anyone else feel like the game does tend to throw you gifts that synergize tho? it might be some sort of bias on my part but it always feels like if i get like 2 of a type i am going to start seeing a lot more of that type

It does. Also individual monsters have a pool of favored items they're more likely to give you

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

megane posted:

Knowing what rewards you're being offered is a serious power increase. It's the difference between having a bunch of random anti-synergistic crap and having an actual build.

Very rarely do you have a "build" in the main modes of Void Rains, there's definitely synergistic stuff but usually it's just a random collection of nice to have bonuses of varying power. Like there's the "builds" of have a lot of helpers and have helper helping gifts and then there's the maybe get a elemental defence = damage gift and try to get as many of that elemental defence gifts as possible "build". But in a game where the main objective is not to get hit, it makes those one star def + another thing gifts only slightly more than worthless.

Quickplay is where builds tailored to each monster matter.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 26, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

goferchan posted:

It does. Also individual monsters have a pool of favored items they're more likely to give you

ok cool, good to know i wasn't going off my rocker. yeah the later thing is easy to notice once you see that if a monster gives a def bonus gift it tends to match the element of the main gift

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok cool, good to know i wasn't going off my rocker. yeah the later thing is easy to notice once you see that if a monster gives a def bonus gift it tends to match the element of the main gift

Yeah the favored gifts are a mix of mechanical and thematic stuff. Like you'll see more items with "painted" card art from Blot, etc. Not sure if this particular info is anywhere in-game but it probably is, a lot of the hidden gameplay mechanics have explanations locked behind radiating certain monsters or events, it's kind of the "Tips" system of the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Finished a run of Erannorth Chronicles with a sylph elementalist. The midgame levels are definitely the most interesting part of the game, the early game mostly sucks because you don't get to do anything fancy yet and the late game mostly sucks because there are fewer and fewer ways left to improve but you still need to grind out the stats to be able to beat the endgame quest. Other than the final boss the only real threat in the last third or so of the campaign was accidentally nuking myself because I mixed up a play-on-self with a play-on-enemies or played a buff on myself with a damage synergy up that I missed.

Overall it was fun but I'm glad I grabbed it on sale because I don't know that it has a lot of legs for me personally. I feel bad because you can tell a tremendous amount of effort went into kind of a disappointing end product. I suppose at least it does seem to have found some sort of audience.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
one last void post: The devil alter is the dumbest loving thing lmao... constant roulette of every shot type in the game. the draw back of diluting your gift pool with too many options isn't even that bad when you got the damage multiplier and aura they start you out with

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

"Constantly" and "heavily incentivized" are doing a lot of work in that sentence given that:
- there are only four events that actually let you pay tetrids for one-time bonuses¹
- one of those is specific to Altered Story hardmode score attack runs and if you're good enough to take advantage of that you probably have more tetrids than you can spend anyways
- two only show up in a minority of runs² and in at least one of those cases spending the tetrid will usually get you more than one tetrid in return over the course of run unless you die to the very next boss or something
- the last one, Radiant Garden, exists to let you turn your easy-to-get monochromatic tetrids into rare radiant tetrids, so it's more of a "lets you choose between different metaprogression currencies"

Like, as a design principle I think it's a bad tradeoff to have in the game at all, but it's not nearly as bad as you (constantly) make it out to be; it's not like it's Hades or something where every single run will have multiple points where it asks you to choose between an immediate, significant, and guaranteed power increase or metaprogression currency that you are not guaranteed to be able to get at all otherwise.

¹ there are other events that show up in-run that you can pay tetrids for, like Link Synapse upgrades, but you get permanent upgrades that persist across runs in exchange
² Lila Trade only if you beat Lila and it gets selected from the pool of available trade events, Heart Key only if you're doing badly

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still probably at early-midgame Erranorth Chronicles, but my main annoyance is that the open world doesn't seem to be adding much. Towns may as well be palette-swaps, and going out into the wilderness seems to be largely a waste of resources - it's a coinflip whether you'll even be able to interact with a notable landmark on the map once you get there. Order and Karma barely seem to be affecting anything. My character is part of a secret conspiracy to assassinate the king, and it never comes up beyond granting access to a bunch of ally cards. If there's a plot, I haven't stumbled into it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ToxicFrog posted:

- the last one, Radiant Garden, exists to let you turn your easy-to-get monochromatic tetrids into rare radiant tetrids, so it's more of a "lets you choose between different metaprogression currencies"
It does also let you exchange tetrids for an item each time you see it, though.

It's not expensive so it's not a big deal but it absolutely does let you spend on something for that run.