Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I read this thread but watch zero anime YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DoctorWhat posted:

No? There are many thousands of people who each average many thousands of views. Most people will never have heard of any given YouTuber, even relatively popular YouTubers who specifically appeal to shared interests.

Even fewer people will reasonably remember year-old flash-in-the-pan twitter drama, especially not with any level of detail. Most people do not maintain Internet Personality Dossiers. I do, because it happens automatically due to my brain problems, but my memory is far from perfect either.

Generally speaking, if you believe someone has committed some kind of misconduct, and you think that misconduct is relevant to a conversation, you should be clear and explicit (within the bounds of good taste) as to what that misconduct entailed. Euphemism, exaggeration, and innuendo are obnoxious and unhelpful.

Yes, bad assumption from me. Sorry about that. I think it's kind of odd to see video posted by X person, see X person's name mentioned in the thread, and then go "wait who's X person? Never heard that name before." Like...what?

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The...uploader of the video that Dawgstar posted? Someone whose videos average hundreds of thousands to millions of views?

Am I being trolled here?

No one came to them asking for help though. That's the thing. It was 100% fabricated. It was one big stunt pulled by Red Bard, 4chan/Kiwifarms, and a former friend of Vinny's, "former" because he himself was a shady scumbag.

Here's a good HobbyDrama post with a writeup on the whole thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/v8bbaq/streamersvinesauce_geepm_how_to_nuke_your/

This does not suggest that Bard was "involved" in any conspiracy. If evidence was fabricated, there are no indications she was not sincerely taken in. She could have been the mastermind but there's no smoking gun.

Generally speaking, I have extreme skepticism towards any conspiracy narrative that suggests a woman online would knowingly fabricate abuse allegations against a popular gamer.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

This does not suggest that Bard was "involved" in any conspiracy. If evidence was fabricated, there are no indications she was not sincerely taken in. She could have been the mastermind but there's no smoking gun.

Generally speaking, I have extreme skepticism towards any conspiracy narrative that suggests a woman online would knowingly fabricate abuse allegations against a popular gamer.

Skepticism fully justified, especially in a thread about a known, proven sex pest, but the original tweets are still up and she has yet to delete them or apologize for spreading misinformation: https://twitter.com/redbardiscool/status/1378098160095072361?lang=en

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Okay so she still believes them. Again, no evidence of conspiracy. If the allegations are baseless, her only crime is believing alleged victims.

KM, I don't know if you've ever been in the position of someone coming to you, in confidence, about being abused or even regretting abuse they have performed. I have been and I can tell you it is an emotionally fraught and complex social position. I would not describe anyone making good-faith misappraisals as a scumbag.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yes, bad assumption from me. Sorry about that. I think it's kind of odd to see video posted by X person, see X person's name mentioned in the thread, and then go "wait who's X person? Never heard that name before." Like...what?

I can barely be assed to know PewDiePie drama, let alone stuff from someone with under 250k subs. I don't have a way of knowing if the reddit thread is true either, but my guess is a subreddit called /r/HobbyDrama is going to be salacious as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to check it out, but even if everything is 100% accurate, her channel's been dead for over a year anyway.

edit: nevermind, that reddit post is pretty far into tl:dr territory.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay so she still believes them. Again, no evidence of conspiracy. If the allegations are baseless, her only crime is believing alleged victims.

KM, I don't know if you've ever been in the position of someone coming to you, in confidence, about being abused or even regretting abuse they have performed. I have been and I can tell you it is an emotionally fraught and complex social position. I would not describe anyone making good-faith misappraisals as a scumbag.

Yes I have. I'm currently helping someone through a stalking situation, in fact. Which is why I stand by my belief that Red Bard sucks rear end. She was informed it was a hoax, it's publicly known that she knows it's a hoax, and still refused to apologize and delete the wrongful tweets. It doesn't matter if she thought it was real at first or not. She used her platform as a popular content creator to spread misinformation about someone else. Again, a simple apology and removal of said misinformation would have been easy and I wouldn't be having this current discussion if that were the case. Maybe it's a clout thing, maybe it's out of stubborn refusal to admit that she was wrong, I don't know. I don't want to sound like I'm scolding anyone who chooses to watch her content. Like I said, the videos themselves are good. She just sucks as a person.

Sorry to derail this thread with my own personal beefs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

idk what the heck any of the above posts are but vic is a dick imo

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The words “anime youtuber” set off a fight or flight response in my brain

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And you apparently chose fight

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

There are no good Anime YouTubers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Cannot believe that in this, the thread about how a guy was able to be a sexual predator for years doing the same poo poo that got him caught nigh-instantly at any of his other, 'real' jobs - primarily because the wider world doesn't pay that much attention to anime and certainly not to its behind-the-scenes drama, literally anyone could go "I'm sorry I thought the drama surrounding this anime-adjacent YouTube creator whose channel has been dead for a year would be common knowledge"

I mean... of course it's not common knowledge, nothing is common knowledge, if the poo poo Vic had been doing was common knowledge he would have gotten punted out of the industry a decade before he did and half the poo poo we've all been laughing about in this terrible legal saga would never have happened

It turns out not everyone shares your YouTube recommendations, Jesus Christ how is this hard for people

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The vic stuff is basically like an extremely small scale jimmy saville, where a fair amount of people knew something and rumours circulated in relevant circles, but there was nothing concretely said and even less done

Whatever the youtuber thing is, it's just some guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the red bard thing completely killed her career, she hasnt uploaded a single video since then and her entire twitter account is just getting into fights with random 200 follower right wingers now. there's really no point acting like she's some massive influence on youtube. she made a couple 1 million views videos and also has a bunch of sub-100k videos, and then her account died. she has 200kish subs which really isnt much on youtube.

i get thinking shes a dick for leaping into the vinny thing but also she isnt some insidious force you need to make a thread entirely about just because she got linked, while also assuming everyone else has been stewing on this drama for over a year as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Detheros posted:

There are no good Anime YouTubers.

Bennett White just shed a single tear in sadness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Bennett White just shed a single tear in sadness.

Somebody somewhere going to say "What about Mother's Basement??" which will receive a Martin Prince-esque "I'm aware of his work."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
kenny laurdale’s channel is pretty cool, he mostly checks out older stuff that’s sometimes niche even in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hate all three of those guys

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The old guy who gave reviews of anime as he took hikes was pretty cool. Usually pretty thoughtful reviews, a nice, relaxing voice and beautiful views from wherever he was walking. He did a good mix of older 70s, 80s etc stuff and recent content too, and it was obvious he was a lifelong fan. I believe he stopped several years ago at this point though, presumably age caught up with him in some fashion :(

Edit: Well, gently caress, Googling around to try to find the guy's channel (since I couldn't remember the name), apparently he died back in 2014 at age 89. And hadn't updated in 4 years by then. I didn't realize it had been quite that long. It was fun to find out his real name was "Bruce Wayne" though. Batman was a weeaboo. Who knew?

tsob fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 26, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't click random youtube videos posted in SA threads, tbh.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

YouTube subs vs YouTube dubs.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1574240196769775617

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sorry, I thought that was fairly well-known knowledge.

I remember this coming up in the Online Creators thread in RGD, which might be why you thought it was more known around here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I guess it would make since Nick is out of practice formatting briefs because he hasn't actually practiced law in however long.

Regardless I love the fact Nick thought he could save this.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
even if he fails he can grift another million out of chud anime fans so it’s a win win either way for him

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Vonnie posted:

I remember this coming up in the Online Creators thread in RGD, which might be why you thought it was more known around here.

Yeah that would probably be why.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I was wondering why Red Bard seemed to stop posting. I liked her stuff but yikes on all that. I remember she had to amend her first yaoi paddle video after being taken to task by someone on twitter for recounting an often repeated but very unsubstantiated rumor that someone at Anime Matsuri (i think?) got hit with a paddle so hard an ambulance had to be called. A longtime staff member for that con called her out for not, at the very least, trying to verify that rumor and basically recounting it as fact. It's definitely one of those rumors that people forget is only a rumor but it definitely would have been good on Red Bard's end to cover her rear end better on that one.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

i hate all three of those guys

whats wrong with kenny

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

perhaps an "anime youtuber drama" containment thread should be created

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

perhaps an "anime youtuber drama" containment thread should be created
lets not and say we did

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the long awaited "issues in the industry" thread MUST be made by someone who gives a fuk. I'm just here to see a nonce (brit slang for any sex offender) get owned by the US legal system

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1574823699986976768?t=vx2Quhu02PKLja6ythgAwQ&s=19

Looks like Rekieta is getting wrecked on the social medias

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Temp banned from YouTube as well? Delightful.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Nick Rekt-ieta

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

I guess it would make since Nick is out of practice formatting briefs because he hasn't actually practiced law in however long.

Regardless I love the fact Nick thought he could save this.
i doubt nick has ever practiced, and my guess is ty beard is completely out of his depth/wheelhouse

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TenementFunster posted:

i doubt nick has ever practiced, and my guess is ty beard is completely out of his depth/wheelhouse

Even more than he was during the main suit, yes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mors Rattus posted:

Even more than he was during the main suit, yes.
the ALAB podcast eps do a good job on laying out how Ty was obviously a lifelong trust attorney for Nick’s mega-wealthy parents/grandparents who Nick got in on the alt-right grift instead of Vic getting an actual experienced litigator/plaintiff’s attorney and lol at the results

any lawyer with actual experience with defamation law would have told Vic to never, ever take this to trial with his dogshit reputation

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A real lawyer would probably have taken the case, but would also have done their job properly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

any lawyer with actual experience with defamation law would have told Vic to never, ever take this to trial with his dogshit reputation

Oh, fun fact, it's been a while since the beginning of this mess feels like an eon ago but as I recall Vic went to actual defamation lawyers first who were all "lol, no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, as I've understood it, Ty's firm was where Vic eventually ended up because other lawyers were telling him "no." And legal twitter's fairly certain that an actually competent defamation lawyer could have advanced Vic's cases past the anti-SLAPP, but didn't really have much to go on to actually successfully prosecute to a victory - plus, that would only have been on a narrow portion of the full suit. Which is probably what Vic had already been told by the lawyers that declined - that the best he could hope for would be a small settlement and even then he would have to give up on most of the accusations he wanted to bring to court.