Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I throw the apple away from me and douse the area in oil which I set on fire using Firebolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It burns, sizzling, with the delicious odor of cooked apples.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That was fun sebmojo and also horrifying :D

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ok but seriously what the gently caress was that

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You can't tell, it's on fire

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I roll animal handling to attempt to make the apple's ashes my pet.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I offer it some stale bread in a meager gesture of crusty good-will.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

All this apple talk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9EMbkvLBQ

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/CartosTom/status/1573672727101247488?t=_5uM8iBFGz8ddczHbKNelg&s=19

And it occured to me that yes, players using darkvision can only see in shades of grey. But if they had light, they would be able to see colours, which might be an integral part of the puzzle.

But which would also alert the mobs in the next room. Fun!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/CartosTom/status/1573672727101247488?t=_5uM8iBFGz8ddczHbKNelg&s=19

And it occured to me that yes, players using darkvision can only see in shades of grey. But if they had light, they would be able to see colours, which might be an integral part of the puzzle.

But which would also alert the mobs in the next room. Fun!

I saw a neat idea where a race of subterranean creatures were they designed the patterns in their homes to make anything relying on dark vision dizzy, but with normal light it would be fine. Might have been a TikTok but was an interesting idea. I think a lot of the time the disadvantage on perception checks relying on darkvision isn't applied

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I saw a neat idea where a race of subterranean creatures were they designed the patterns in their homes to make anything relying on dark vision dizzy, but with normal light it would be fine. Might have been a TikTok but was an interesting idea. I think a lot of the time the disadvantage on perception checks relying on darkvision isn't applied

What were the subterranean creatures using to see that this would be convenient to them? If they needed torches then their defense model would basically be to blind themselves so as to briefly make a few invaders dizzy (but still able to see)?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

theironjef posted:

What were the subterranean creatures using to see that this would be convenient to them? If they needed torches then their defense model would basically be to blind themselves so as to briefly make a few invaders dizzy (but still able to see)?

Every drow knows dancing lights. There's no reason to sit in the dark "for stealth" in your own home. Disadvantage on perception checks every time you're trying to find the pen you dropped would be a huge hassle compared to maintaining dim light lanterns made of magic glowing moss or whatever.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

theironjef posted:

The OP of this idea had a lot more on it, this was a very brief summary.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Every drow knows dancing lights. There's no reason to sit in the dark "for stealth" in your own home. Disadvantage on perception checks every time you're trying to find the pen you dropped would be a huge hassle compared to maintaining dim light lanterns made of magic glowing moss or whatever.

But if you're under attack, you wouldn't cast dancing lights then, right? And then you'd be dizzied by your own architecture. Or you'd keep the lights on, and the attackers wouldn't be dizzied either. The dizzying-in-grayscale patterns would only be useful if you're able to see in color (or can't see at all, but then you'd just make the patterns dizzying in color too) and the attackers aren't.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Staltran posted:

But if you're under attack, you wouldn't cast dancing lights then, right? And then you'd be dizzied by your own architecture. Or you'd keep the lights on, and the attackers wouldn't be dizzied either. The dizzying-in-grayscale patterns would only be useful if you're able to see in color (or can't see at all, but then you'd just make the patterns dizzying in color too) and the attackers aren't.

Oh I see what you mean. Perhaps useful in a trap corridor, which defenders won't use.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The OP of this idea had a lot more on it, this was a very brief summary.

Sure. I am naturally wary of dark vision related traps for players because they seem to always originate from DMs that are mad that players don't need to count torches and buy lamp oil like in the good old days.

It's also usually trying to take a species advantage and turn it into a penalty, which is the exact sort of gotcha-based DMing I personally wish would just die already.

Though I'll change my tune as soon as I see a monster that deals extra damage to anyone with a species-provided bonus feat. Like this fuckin' owlbear just hates the poo poo out of Variant Humans, and frankly it's time they get taken down a peg.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 25, 2022

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Thinking about getting into this with some friends and family. Is it worth it to grab the PHB right away, or just stick with the free Basic Rules until we get a handle on things?

I figure I buy everything through D&D Beyond since the character generator, lookup stuff and book sharing seem pretty cool. Any reason not to?

Do you only need the DMG and Monster Manual if you're writing your own campaigns/adventures?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Now is a pretty bad time to be buying new 5e core rulebooks as they’re working on significant revisions that will be released as new products requiring buying new copies for a year or so from now. If you have a lot of disposable income go for it I guess, but if you must play 5e right now I’d see if you can buy used copies at a discount off eBay or something.

You do need all three core rulebooks to run a prewritten adventure generally, as they’ll refer to stat blocks for monsters and magic items from the other books.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 26, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The DMG is definitely the least essential of the three to anyone, including DMs

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
PHB is probably the only thing you might need, but only to help aggregate all of the base rules in one place. If you are comfortable with the free starter rules info that is out there, everything else from the three base books should be easily found via searching roll20 or wikidot.

If you are writing your own campaign or homebrew, just say it's "dnd5e adjacent" so you don't have to get it all correct until you're invested in a ruleset.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GigaPeon posted:

Thinking about getting into this with some friends and family. Is it worth it to grab the PHB right away, or just stick with the free Basic Rules until we get a handle on things?

I figure I buy everything through D&D Beyond since the character generator, lookup stuff and book sharing seem pretty cool. Any reason not to?

Do you only need the DMG and Monster Manual if you're writing your own campaigns/adventures?

You don't need the 5e books to play 5e. They have released nearly everything for free as a SRD, which means all of that content is available on wikis online. Now is a really bad time to be buying the books, they are actively play testing the new edition.

If you wait until 2024 all of the 5e books should be at the cheapest.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Rutibex posted:

If you wait until 2024 all of the 5e books should be at the cheapest.

It seems kinda silly to be like “hey guys let’s hold off a year and a half. There’s a new one coming out!”

Seems like I can still get 30 bucks worth of fun out of it.

Good call on used copies. Got the day off tomorrow, I'll check out some local shops and see what's up.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 26, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GigaPeon posted:

It seems kinda silly to be like “hey guys let’s hold off a year and a half. There’s a new one coming out!”

Seems like I can still get 30 bucks worth of fun out of it.

Good call on used copies. Got the day off tomorrow, I'll check out some local shops and see what's up.

Oh yeah, 5e is a really good edition and you will be able to enjoy it for many years regardless of what the current edition is. I'd just wait on picking up the complete set until 2024. All you really need is the players handbook.

I don't actually own any 5e books, but I run a 5e game. Lots of my players have the books, but I just reference monster stats from wikis. I might pick them up when people offload the old version at a discount though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Oh yeah, 5e is a really good edition and you will be able to enjoy it for many years regardless of what the current edition is. I'd just wait on picking up the complete set until 2024. All you really need is the players handbook.

I don't actually own any 5e books, but I run a 5e game. Lots of my players have the books, but I just reference monster stats from wikis. I might pick them up when people offload the old version at a discount though.

Those wikis are by and large illegal copies of poo poo from the official rulebooks (the exception being home brew material or content published by third parties under the OGL). Recommending unofficial pirated sources to new players is setting people up for issues (because inevitably there’s transcription problems or content not included) and is also against the trad games rules. Stop doing this, all of you.

If you want to play 5e legally, your options are the Basic Rules or buying rulebooks/starter sets physically or through an online platform (Beyond, Roll20). That’s it. That’s what we get to talk about here.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh no... Mods definitely gonna ban the poo poo out of me for linking these completely disreputable sources where you can get free rules and monster stats. Nobody better call the TG Police.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/16771-adult-red-dragon

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Adult%20Red%20Dragon#content

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arivia posted:

Those wikis are by and large illegal copies of poo poo from the official rulebooks (the exception being home brew material or content published by third parties under the OGL). Recommending unofficial pirated sources to new players is setting people up for issues (because inevitably there’s transcription problems or content not included) and is also against the trad games rules. Stop doing this, all of you.

If you want to play 5e legally, your options are the Basic Rules or buying rulebooks/starter sets physically or through an online platform (Beyond, Roll20). That’s it. That’s what we get to talk about here.

Ty for defending the bottom line of wotc arivia, but really no-one cares, if people set themselves up for issues, whatever that means, it is their decision as autonomous humans and doesn't need to be policed by you.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I hear tell there are some 5e tools out there if you go looking for em but don't wanna pay WOTC money for whatever reason

Maybe looking for those 5e tools will help you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Wrong, Wizards of the Coast provides the 5e SRD which contains almost the entirety of 5e. It has a lot more content than the Basic Rules and it is what the majority of wikis are based on. Here it is hosted on Wizard of the Coast own servers:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf

I don't appreciate being being framed as a pirate and I would kindly ask you to knock it off. Stop doing this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Wrong, Wizards of the Coast provides the 5e SRD which contains almost the entirety of 5e. It has a lot more content than the Basic Rules and it is what the majority of wikis are based on. Here it is hosted on Wizard of the Coast own servers:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf

I don't appreciate being being framed as a pirate and I would kindly ask you to knock it off. Stop doing this.

This is missing many monsters, subclasses, etc. If you're just using the roll20/beyond stuff toshimo linked, that's fine (and I noted that was legal) but people talking about dnd tools and wikidots are going far beyond that. However, an admin has said that it's okay for people to have issues with missing content so we'll leave it there.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

sebmojo posted:

Ty for defending the bottom line of wotc arivia, but really no-one cares

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I own a lot official stuff and still use the tools that are for 5e because it is great and have neat integration for foundry that just isn't done elsewhere. So my advice is to buy some used copies and then access that content via much more comfortable unofficial tools.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I think I need to rephrase my question: is it worth it to obtain a PHB to gain access to the expanded character creation options (races, feats, subclasses, spells) it contains which aren’t in the basic rules/SRD and also assuming I’m willing to put some cash into this.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 26, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yes, but also there's no point in buying a physical book AND that stuff on DNDbeyond as well unless you really want it on your bookshelf

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

GigaPeon posted:

I think I need to rephrase my question: is it worth it to obtain a PHB to gain access to the expanded character creation options (races, feats, subclasses, spells) it contains which aren’t in the basic rules/SRD and also assuming I’m willing to put some cash into this.

Yeah, especially if you're using DDB to make characters. What's also nice is if someone in your group is dead set on playing a Tortle, they can just buy you the Tortle race for 2 bucks rather than the whole book which contains Tortles....just make sure they buy you the race for players and not the monster.

edit: What 'change my name' said, buy it on DDB you're good there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah, especially if you're using DDB to make characters. What's also nice is if someone in your group is dead set on playing a Tortle, they can just buy you the Tortle race for 2 bucks rather than the whole book which contains Tortles....just make sure they buy you the race for players and not the monster.

edit: What 'change my name' said, buy it on DDB you're good there.

To be fair, the Tortle Package is :10bux:, is well put together, and the proceeds go to charity, so it's not some egregious money grab.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

change my name posted:

Yes, but also there's no point in buying a physical book AND that stuff on DNDbeyond as well unless you really want it on your bookshelf

not trying to sip that HATERADE but trying to keep it real -- i stopped buying 5e books because the build quality is really bad !! maybe the limited editions are better but i cant justify those prices for the quality of product you get. and plus digital is more convenient since i only do VTT anyway

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pog boyfriend posted:

not trying to sip that HATERADE but trying to keep it real -- i stopped buying 5e books because the build quality is really bad !! maybe the limited editions are better but i cant justify those prices for the quality of product you get. and plus digital is more convenient since i only do VTT anyway

being able to hit "search" is a huge boon when you need to look up a spell or a feat you recall being in a supplement somewhere

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
In terms of utility nothing can beat the ctrl+f approach to the "Hang on lemme check" moments.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh for sure I'm having fun with Tortles. In one of my games there is a Tortle wizard who has a human familiar who so far the players haven't figured out exactly what is going on. It's funny to watch the human get blapped from an attack then the turtle run away to hide for an hour though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rubberduke posted:

I own a lot official stuff and still use the tools that are for 5e because it is great and have neat integration for foundry that just isn't done elsewhere. So my advice is to buy some used copies and then access that content via much more comfortable unofficial tools.

Same, except on Roll20. The aforementioned tools let you easily import stuff into Roll20 as well, which is useful if you own the content on e.g. Beyond (or Roll20 if playing on Foundry). At least for SRD content the imports are also more convenient than the Roll20 bestiary, since they come with hp bars, token images, and macros for their attacks/saves/ability checks/etc. IIRC the paid Roll20 content does come with tokens and hp bars, but don't have the macros, so you'd need to do those from the character sheet. So even if you have the content legally on Roll20 itself you might still want to :filez: it. There's a browser add-on (at least for Chrome) that also gives you pretty good Beyond integration on Roll20 that I was using before, but it's still more convenient to have everything on Roll20. E.g. if you a monster has to roll a save it's easier to just select the token, click saves in the macro bar and select the ability, rather than alt-tab to Beyond and find the tab you have a monster's stats open in and click the save modifier. The fragmented nature of 5e play on VTTs just makes using the legal stuff less convenient, even if you own all of it on the same platform you're playing on.

So yeah, get some used books for cheap. Beyond also holds sales pretty often. But that legal access should only really be for your conscience, you're better off using unofficial tools (especially for Roll20 and Foundry).