Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You know a classic doom level is going to be good poo poo when the level designer just puts an arrow on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In Training posted:

i love that level lol

In the snes version you get caught on the geometry, a lot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

In the snes version you get caught on the geometry, a lot.

thats every level

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

: Clear the game

Thank god.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

TUTUOLA: Kid wakes up one morning, thinks the world is too fast and smooth looking, freaks out and jumps out a window. Forensics found a copy of SNES Doom in his bedroom. On the streets they call it Romero’s Surprise.

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

You know a classic doom level is going to be good poo poo when the level designer just puts an arrow on the floor.

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love Slough of Despair because it's just a big fuckin hand.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I've never been a big fan of episode 3 and this version is not helping to change my mind lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love Slough of Despair because it's just a big fuckin hand.

sandy petersen is a genius

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

I played this for so long without looking away from the screen today that when I finally stopped the entire world felt like it was sped up and moving too smoothly, and I got horrible vertigo and almost faceplanted into my coffee table. I am absolutely going to finish it, IZGC rules lol

I love that this game has Harrison Bergeron'd everyone else into having my horrible eye condition lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
sub-actuality's gonna have to add a fatality counter to the trophy room website

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

sandy petersen is a genius

Frenz posted:

The Pit. Barrels O Fun. Suburbs. Legendary maps by Sandy Peterson which overshadowed John Romeros paltry contributions to DOOM2 and he knows it: 30 years later and he’s still seething—staying up late at night reading all of Sandy’s tweets and pedantically replying to every one of them. “Acshually the coffee maker was next to Adrian’s office.” Lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol again

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I beat this last night but I couldn't post about it because I immediately got a full-blown optical migraine and had to sleep it off lol

It's a pain in the rear end mechanically, and obviously much less fun than normal Doom, but I'm so impressed that this works even this well on an SNES, and creeping around through Doom levels (especially ep 1) was surprisingly compelling. I almost died and I had a great time. 10/10. IZGC ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

I beat this last night but I couldn't post about it because I immediately got a full-blown optical migraine and had to sleep it off lol

It's a pain in the rear end mechanically, and obviously much less fun than normal Doom, but I'm so impressed that this works even this well on an SNES, and creeping around through Doom levels (especially ep 1) was surprisingly compelling. I almost died and I had a great time. 10/10. IZGC ftw

What’s amazing is that it still might not even be the worst port of Doom

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What’s amazing is that it still might not even be the worst port of Doom
look forward to next september's games club entry, doom (3do)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Kins posted:

look forward to next september's games club entry, doom (3do)

Modded with the 32X version’s soundtrack

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I kinda want to play all the Chex Quests now

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just noticed the keys in E3 are little skulls now, that's cute.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

not gonna do episodes 2 and 3 cause my head hurts too much.

The Kins posted:

also can i just say gently caress this room in particular

i'm not a big fan of E1M7 at the best of times, but the quirks of the snes port mean that the zombiemen on top of the pillar are less annoying popcorn monsters pelting you while you deal with the imps and more crack marksman churning you up with a quickness. humiliating and shameful.

yeah this part was extra miserable

I still had fun at times cause it's still Doom

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I didn't get to see what the last boss looked like cause I fired BFG shots from the center of the map thinking it was more barons or something lol
This was a lot of fun actually, good pick!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

Just noticed the keys in E3 are little skulls now, that's cute.

i wonder how far into development they got until someone asked why there would be security keycards in hell

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

e2 done. i will finish this today

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Beat episode 2. The Cyberdemon fight is more interesting in the original right?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Joan posted:

it's a cool enemy but it's not exactly the highlight of the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Joan posted:

No, the original doom levels don't really use the bosses at all. they show up a little more in E4 & Doom II

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lol at everyone having Videodrome style reactions to this.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I took the extra effort to pull the SD card out of my N2DS just to delete this rom

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

- Clear the game (legit)

I always wanted to play the original Doom but this isn't how I imagined my first time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

you never forget your first time

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Joan posted:

- Clear the game (legit)

I always wanted to play the original Doom but this isn't how I imagined my first time

nice work :hai:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"i've beaten the 32x version of doom this should be fine"

" "

(i will not be continuing the snes doom experience)

: Beat Episode 1

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I appreciate the two barons getting stuck in their closets at the end

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

tmfc posted:

e2 done. i will finish this today

i got mexican food and took edibles and fell asleep at 7pm. but today,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
got married yesterday so I'm behind on stuff but if welcome sees this and would like to pick next weeks game and PM me and we can get the write up started that would be great. if not I'm going to go through the impclub website and get everyone who has earned a trophy on a new random list and start over again