Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gears of War 2:

It's been a few years since I beat the original and it was pretty average so my memories aren't strong but a couple of segments in and it already feels like a decent upgrade. The game has an actual colour palette now! Sure it's not like Saints Row eye-searingly bright but just one messy blob of brown! Also the opening feels much more immediate with you being embedded into a large army and flung into a major gunfight. There is lots of MANLY YELLING and a rookie in my squad called Carmine who I fear is not long for this world and it would all be fun except goddam this game is even more fash than the first one which plays way worse a decade on, yikes.

Hopefully this game doesn't have a bullshit final boss that makes me ragequit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thetes definitely one bullshit boss in Gears 2 but it's not the end one

At least I don't remember the end one anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Today I defeated the birds and balloons!
I dodged 200 lightning bolts.
I beat Maester Seymour in Mt Gagazelt first time and did not panic.

:stare:

perhaps he is a more powerful gamer than any of us knew........

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u think dodging lightning bolts is a challenge to a man who harnessed the power of lightning without hesitation in sekiro

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

:stare:

perhaps he is a more powerful gamer than any of us knew........

What he didn't say is that the chocobo race took him over 3 hours :ssh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the chocobo race is one of the few ones I'll actually do. It's tough but fun and far far shorter than most of the celestial weapon minigames

the hardest part about lightning bolts is not falling asleep from boredom

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best characters are yuna, rikku, and auron because their celestial weapons are completely trivial to get

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
auron's is kinda time consuming but it's not hard at all yeah

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looper posted:

the best characters are yuna, rikku, and paine because they are in position

ftfy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

:hai:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Auron is the coolest character ever made and I don't care who knows. Shut the gently caress up mom, yeah I know I'm not 15 anymore, time to slam some code red and wipe to the Seymour fight that Videogames aced yeaaaahhhhhh

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Looper posted:

the best characters are yuna, rikku, and auron because their celestial weapons are completely trivial to get

rikku's celestial weapon chain is my favorite. I loved seeing all the little cactuar personalities

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feldegast42 posted:

wipe to the Seymour fight that Videogames aced yeaaaahhhhhh

The best bit was when he didn't use an Aeon to tank Total Annihilation and survived a party wipe by one hit :psyduck:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm mostly playing Baba is You and trying to take over the world as Kairos in WH3 nowadays though. It turns out that no, I'm not that smart at either of those things

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Y.R.P. in position."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first Gears has things to say about fascism. The second one is a 80s action movie. The rest forgot the point.

hatty posted:

Oh, just publish good games, what an amazing idea. Guy should write a book

It's a bold strategy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

I don't care, I've never had the patience to do it at all so it is impressive to me

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yes SIR

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

I don't care, I've never had the patience to do it at all so it is impressive to me

Is the chocobo race the 1 you need to do to get Yojimbo?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Walla posted:

Is the chocobo race the 1 you need to do to get Yojimbo?

no that's just sitting an an optional dungeon you can walk into

chocobo race is for tidus' ultimate weapon

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ow, well gently caress the race then. I've never bothered with the ultimate weapons, but I also don't think I ever completed the game. But that was back closer to the original release. :)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

I'm glad you're enjoying this game(sincerely,) I tried a few rounds of it and just did not like the way it felt.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's fun but they didn't fix a single thing from the betas

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Final Fantasy XIV, I got my dragoon to level 85. So still lots of End Walker to play through. Goal for the next week is to focus on just playing End Walker.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying this game(sincerely,) I tried a few rounds of it and just did not like the way it felt.

reasons i like it:

1) i can play the Guntank and Zaku Melee, which are not only pretty strong but don't require me to aim
2) other units like Methuss (healer support that also has a turret) and Mahiroo (grenade launcher) i can also play decently well without having esports aiming skill
3) the game has daily quests and weekly quests, and i like those! they also force me to play more than just the same unit every game which would get boring
4) i apparently have a 63% win rate so far, and even if i lose i dont mind so much (cause i'm not playing ranked and probably won't bother)
5) i have multiple (two) pools of friends to play with, which is very fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Atlus is suing the owners of a Shin Megami Tensei Imagine private server

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1574234914412990467?s=20&t=X7z51tS2nb_AihuwFKorrQ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1574234914412990467?s=20&t=X7z51tS2nb_AihuwFKorrQ

Never heard of SMT: Imagine, what did the members/owner of this particular server do out of curiosity?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's just a fan server of an MMO that's been defunct for near a decade, happens all the time, game preservation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's a lot of variability in terms of how companies handle MMO preservation projects, and I assume at least part of it has to do with the vagaries of trademark protection laws. The City of Heroes revival went to enormous pains behind the scenes to ensure they were on the level with NCSoft, but not every project like that has the organization necessary for that, and an IP still being in active use dampens hopes of that even more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

What is the point? This server has been up for years, no one plays on it, and they (atlus) abandoned the game. Copyright / trademark protection laws shouldn't exist.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

congrats. ffx is an all time great jrpg. however when youre done with playtime and ready to step up to the real games, the smt series is awaiting you.

There is certainly one on the list for next year. :)

Rarity posted:

Hahaha, thanks to you and anyone else for sticking through all that wild game play :D. I was losing my mind at the birds. Just homing into my head from nowhere or my ability to slalom around the vital balloons. Goodness.

Feldegast42 posted:

Auron is the coolest character ever made and I don't care who knows. Shut the gently caress up mom, yeah I know I'm not 15 anymore, time to slam some code red and wipe to the Seymour fight that Videogames aced yeaaaahhhhhh

Rarity posted:

The best bit was when he didn't use an Aeon to tank Total Annihilation and survived a party wipe by one hit :psyduck:

I keep forgetting I have summons and that I can change party mid battle, however I am extremely proud of surviving that battle and beating it first time because, like in Sekiro with Owl #2 it was the first time in game where I felt I actually understood the mechanics and the turn order and chose the correct things to do and any mistakes (like thinking reflect would work against the total annihilation magic or finding out what atrophy does) were able to be reversed thanks to using the correct spell or item. :) I am REALLY proud of it :3:

What a superb game :D

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

As I near the end of triangle Strategy, the game had me divide my forces into three groups. Since the game gives no exp to characters not participating in battle, this means I am currently facing tons of level 50 enemies with my squad of rejects from the main party, some of whom are around lvl 15.
I fear much grinding awaits.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

beacon pines met my expectations, was happy with the places the story went and that it wasn't afraid to get dark

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

As I near the end of triangle Strategy, the game had me divide my forces into three groups. Since the game gives no exp to characters not participating in battle, this means I am currently facing tons of level 50 enemies with my squad of rejects from the main party, some of whom are around lvl 15.
I fear much grinding awaits.

This makes me want to remove TS from my to-play list

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

giogadi posted:

This makes me want to remove TS from my to-play list

To be fair, this is basically newgame+ stuff having to do with the fourth path you can only get by following some very specific choices. I did not feel the need to grind for the nearly 40hours I played previous to this and I probably could have assigned my squads better.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
triangle strategy gives insane catch-up exp so it should take all of ten minutes max

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Looper posted:

triangle strategy gives insane catch-up exp so it should take all of ten minutes max

This makes me want to add TS back to my to-play list

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Triangle Strategy encourages you to use all the characters, swapping out teams in later playthroughs. Underleveled characters gain a full level with every movement or action until they catch up, so grinding doesn't really exist. You'll only get into that situation if you keep using the same max level characters, and even then it will only take running through some turns moving the characters around to get them max level. More of an inconvenience than anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be specific about how much catch-up EXP Triangle Strategy gives:

In TriStrat, units get EXP for every action in combat based on the battle's recommended level. So it has nothing to do with the level of the target or bosses giving extra EXP or anything like that. If you bring a level 30 unit into a level 45 battle, that unit's going to get tons of EXP for doing any action. You can have them sit in the corner and use a healing item on themselves and they'll gain a full level each time until they're about four levels below the recommended, at which point it ramps down until they're getting roughly normal EXP.

It's incredibly easy to catch units up who've fallen behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
TS also let’s you retry a lost battle with all your gained exp retained. You could field a party of lvl 15 benchwarmers and watch them level up every time they took an action until they die, and the next run you’ll be field lvl 25 benchwarmers.

There was an early mission that had a difficult optional win condition and I was determined to get it, so I died like four times getting the strategy down and my levels up.

On my second playthrough I dropped the difficulty down to Very Easy because I wasn’t interested in doing the mock battles for levels and just wanted to see the story to completion. Still had a lot of fun.