Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Way too much information in one episode, I like to think I'm smart enough to keep up with the politics but this bowled me over.

All that hassle to marry a Targ to a Valyerion and then Daemon marries another one on a whim?

That business with the bronze family doesn't matter?

12 year old Valeryon finds the big missing dragon and no one mentions this accomplishment?

Is clubfoot strong known to be a greenseer?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Baron Porkface posted:

Way too much information in one episode, I like to think I'm smart enough to keep up with the politics but this bowled me over.

All that hassle to marry a Targ to a Valyerion and then Daemon marries another one on a whim?

That business with the bronze family doesn't matter?

12 year old Valeryon finds the big missing dragon and no one mentions this accomplishment?

Is clubfoot strong known to be a greenseer?

Corlys was already allied with Daemon on account of the Stepstones thing.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The older Rhaenyra is great. Wow. Really liked that episode.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is it even reasonable for Alicent and Larys to think this could result in Otto's return as Hand? What just cuz of his previous experience? He did get fired for his self-interest. Viserys is weaker than ever, and Rhaenyra now has an outright antagonistic political force on the Small Council against her so I guess I could see it.
I guess it's the easiest move but surely there's somebody else Vis could think of. The reason you fired him is still potentially active and valid, really more than ever.
Pick good old senile Beesbury imvho

I guess to be fair it seems like current Viserys has less power and decisiveness than ever

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 26, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
next week's preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciinJ7ly-Jw

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 26, 2022

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

is it even reasonable for Alicent and Larys to think this could result in Otto's return as Hand? What just cuz of his previous experience? He did get fired for his self-interest. Viserys is weaker than ever, and Rhaenyra now has an outright antagonistic political force on the Small Council against her so I guess I could see it.
I guess it's the easiest move but surely there's somebody else Vis could think of. The reason you fired him is still potentially active and valid, really more than ever.
Pick good old senile Beesbury imvho

I guess to be fair it seems like current Viserys has less power and decisiveness than ever

I don't think larys actually really cares, he still gets to go "i did it for yoooouuuu" regardless of whether it really works or not and now he's lord of harrenhal. That said, any other candidate would involve viserys having to make an active decision instead of just jumping to something that worked in the past and we know how viserys feels about actually making decisions!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Someone just pointed out to me that they actually changed the opening this episode. The angles on the big family tree have shifted showing different family crests, and the number of blood streams has changed to reflect Alicent's and Rhaenyra's additional children.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they pulled a double the departed... i can't believe it

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don't understand how what Larys did benefits Alicent? Was it just so that her dad Otto could become Hand of the King?

It also seems kind of dumb that like 10 random prisoners could work so collaboratively to assassinate the lords of a great fortress.
It removes a pro Rhaenera hand and lord (his grand child would inherit the throne) from the game and kills Rhaenera's lover, so no more kids who doesn't look like their Velaryon's father. Oh and Harrendal and the Strong family title ends up in Larys' hand fyi. So more strong support for the queen. Thank you, Psycho-Lame-Foot.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 26, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love old King Goon so much, he's just so happy to be alive (spite the odds, I guess?) and happily dismisses all treasoning and rumouring. It's all going to hell the moment he dies, ainnit?

The random murderers and thieves were surprisingly efficient at burning a castle down. Maybe they were arsonists. But like someone said I'm willing to entertain the thought that a fire hazard would've been pretty extreme on that kind of time period.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Grover mentioned, Sesame Street is tv cannon! Good signs for the future.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe the crowd princess will pick another handsome tourney champion and kingsguard.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

beefart posted:

:lmao: at Alicent not even bothering to touch on the subject of her firstborn treating his body like an amusement park while a few inches away from Tommen-ing himself.

This was so weird. It's not like he needed further characterisation every single seen is seemingly designed to make you hate him anyway

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just throwing it out there since a few of you might be unaware, but Emma D'arcy is non-binary i.e. they uses they/them pronouns and is an "actor" rather than an "actress".

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Are there seriously no consequences for Criston? They're not even going to address what Laynor thinks about being under the same roof as him for 10 years and now he's gone?
Also, I want the last shot of the show to be Vasirys coughing and bending over in pain with ominous music, implying he might die some day.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Spermando posted:

Are there seriously no consequences for Criston? They're not even going to address what Laynor thinks about being under the same roof as him for 10 years and now he's gone?
Also, I want the last shot of the show to be Vasirys coughing and bending over in pain with ominous music, implying he might die some day.

Who would push for consequences? He is a kingsguard that most people would assume was a little over zealous in his duties of protecting the princess, and then the queen vouched for him. The outcome worked for Corlys, and Laenor is not going to bring more attention to his and Joffrey's relationship. Joffrey is not an heir to some major house that the king will have to appease.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Obviously all the characters are bad people to varying extents but man, I really hate Alicent. I understand her motivations but she just comes across as greedy and unreasonable.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just throwing it out there since a few of you might be unaware, but Emma D'arcy is non-binary i.e. they uses they/them pronouns and is an "actor" rather than an "actress".

This is a really interesting linguistic feature of non binary pronouns i havent necessarily seen much. Irl i often simply use 'use' as the agreeing form of use here wrt non binary people as if it was a third person plural to the extent that this read like a grammatical error even though it is grammatically consistent with gendered pronouns and perfectly cromulent as a result

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New actors are all really good. I'd expected this to be a morally grey story but the show is not giving me a lot of reasons to root for Alicent's side.

I know Otto scared the poo poo out of her, but drat is betrothing those two kids a great compromise she just scoffed at.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Obviously all the characters are bad people to varying extents but man, I really hate Alicent. I understand her motivations but she just comes across as greedy and unreasonable.

Alicent "When your father dies, Rhaenyra will take the throne!"

Aegon II "Okay?"

Alicent "That means her children will be her heirs!"

Aegon II "Okay?"

Alicent "That means they'll get the throne before you and your brothers do!"

Aegon II "O...kay?"

Alicent "SHE'S GOING TO KILL THE poo poo OUT OF YOU"

Aegon II :stare: "okay"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Metis of the Hallway posted:

It's a great bit of characterisation, isn't it? She wants them out of the way but oh, not like that! She never asked for that! She tells her son he's going to be king but she doesn't want anyone killed, that's not what that means!

To be entirely fair, historical Popes have done this to muddy assassination orders.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Vhaegar looking like a big old dog. Love it.

Also found myself trying to see how many more fingers Viserys had perhaps lost before I noticed.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don't understand how what Larys did benefits Alicent? Was it just so that her dad Otto could become Hand of the King?

It also seems kind of dumb that like 10 random prisoners could work so collaboratively to assassinate the lords of a great fortress.

I was kind of waiting for a dragon to come in and raze it to the ground. I mean, in the books, it's a desolate ruin and I had kind of assumed something of that nature had happened. Not... just some arson.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't like the actress change for Rhaenera. The other actress was just so good at sitting around looking smug. This one doesn't do it as well. It also took me way too long to figure out there was a time skip.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

TyrantWD posted:

Who would push for consequences? He is a kingsguard that most people would assume was a little over zealous in his duties of protecting the princess, and then the queen vouched for him. The outcome worked for Corlys, and Laenor is not going to bring more attention to his and Joffrey's relationship. Joffrey is not an heir to some major house that the king will have to appease.

Alicent probably sold the Joffrey killing to Visery as a way to turn Laenor straight, which didn't work.

I was very impressed HBO got a really young newborn to play the baby. Since I have nobody to root for in this show, I am going to root for baby Joffrey not get wrecked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, Jofferys always do great in Westeros

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CornHolio posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't like the actress change for Rhaenera. The other actress was just so good at sitting around looking smug. This one doesn't do it as well. It also took me way too long to figure out there was a time skip.
I feel like she isn't supposed to be as smug anymore, she has basically grown out of her teenage phase into being a settled adult. Which ties into how they dealt with the time skip, creating a clear parallel with her mother by making her giving birth and the stress it puts on her a significant plot point. A parallel they then repeat with her sister in law-aunt.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Feels like they should have had at least a scene with Rhaenyra and Strong alone in the present to speak without having to couch their language in appropriate ways and maybe at least one scene of a point in time between last episode and this one showing them getting together or a pivotal moment or whatever.

As it is, this dude she's apparently felt enough for to potentially risk her entire existence, we have almost no idea about and now he's dead anyway so I guess it doesn't matter but it means his death didn't really register particularly to me.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I was kind of waiting for a dragon to come in and raze it to the ground. I mean, in the books, it's a desolate ruin and I had kind of assumed something of that nature had happened. Not... just some arson.

It was in ruins long before the show. They just live in the remaining parts of the castle

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

thebardyspoon posted:

Feels like they should have had at least a scene with Rhaenyra and Strong alone in the present to speak without having to couch their language in appropriate ways and maybe at least one scene of a point in time between last episode and this one showing them getting together or a pivotal moment or whatever.

As it is, this dude she's apparently felt enough for to potentially risk her entire existence, we have almost no idea about and now he's dead anyway so I guess it doesn't matter but it means his death didn't really register particularly to me.

It sounds like there are some cut scenes with Rhaenrya and Harwin, and with Daemon and his kids, which is unfortunate because I feel like those would have been good to have

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

New actors are all really good. I'd expected this to be a morally grey story but the show is not giving me a lot of reasons to root for Alicent's side.

I know Otto scared the poo poo out of her, but drat is betrothing those two kids a great compromise she just scoffed at.

Is it a good compromise? From her perspective it means her daughter gets to live but her sons are still screwed. And the daughter already doesn’t really pose any threat to Rhaenyra’s succession.

CornHolio posted:

I agree. Darcy’s face is very expressive, which is normally a great quality for an actor but it’s just not the poker-faced character we’ve known so far. I’m sure I’ll get used to it though.

Starks fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 26, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Harrenhal was already roasted by Dragon's during Aegon's Conquest (iirc construction finished the day the Targaryens arrived in Westeros :v: ) The insides have presumably been refinished so people can live there but the big stone towers and stuff are permanently half-melted. This fire is just a separate incident.

I like the new Rhaenyra, but I don't yet feel that they're the same character. All the things I associated with Milly's portrayal - petulance, passion, strength, aggression, are just not there at all. I know that's probably intentional with how time, stress, childbearing, etc have taken their toll, but the personality shift combined with the actress change is pretty drastic.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

bobjr posted:

It sounds like there are some cut scenes with Rhaenrya and Harwin, and with Daemon and his kids, which is unfortunate because I feel like those would have been good to have

I know this was the longest episode of the season so far, but I feel shows need to be comfortable having 80+ minute episodes when they need it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

Is it a good compromise? From her perspective it means her daughter gets to live but her sons are still hosed. And the daughter doesn’t pose any threat to Rhaenyra’s succession.

Why would the heir (or his mother) be killing off his wife's brothers? It ties the families together well enough that it should stave off violence.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

That scene with Daemon and his kids on the rooftop was definitely longer and got cut. The promos showed them talking.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I like the new Rhaenyra, but I don't yet feel that they're the same character. All the things I associated with Milly's portrayal - petulance, passion, strength, aggression, are just not there at all. I know that's probably intentional with how time, stress, childbearing, etc have taken their toll, but the personality shift combined with the actress change is pretty drastic.
Kind of funny, because having this change be so drastic alongside having a new actor actually works very well for me. That said, could you not argue that her entire post-birth walk is a more adult manifestation of petulance and strength?

PostNouveau posted:

Why would the heir (or his mother) be killing off his wife's brothers? It ties the families together well enough that it should stave off violence.
Yeah, the whole idea would be that the brothers wouldn't want to attack their sister and her husband, thus negating the risk they pose - and thus also negating the risk their sister's husband poses to them.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 26, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I think that’s a pretty big leap, they’re already her half brothers and everyone seems to think they are in mortal danger

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kind of funny, because having this change be so drastic alongside having a new actor actually works very well for me. That said, could you not argue that her entire post-birth walk is a more adult manifestation of petulance and strength?

Great point! I really loved that entire scene (which I need to rewatch but seemed to consist of a few very long takes?) It's the kind of thing that never would have happened in Game of Thrones, it felt so close and personal and human. I really like how this show feels like its own show instead of "Game of Thrones S9, the Prequel"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rheanyras also doesn't seem like the kind of person to go all Maegor the cruel on her half siblings.

I've said it before, but its upsetting seeing how eger so many people are with their manipulations of the King and his family thar can only end in a brutal civil war. Especially knowing the fates of some of the characters.

Also its sad to see Daemon happy and content, not looking to kill people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

I thought they did a good job using eye contact and body language, I thought. Glimpses and glances - you'd've never clocked that Criston Cole was the secret paramour of the Crown Princess, resulting in your being beaten to death at the hands of a madman in the middle of a huge engagement feast.

E; I wonder if the window that Aegon was jhaquen off out of was the same one tommen threw himself out of

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Starks posted:

I think that’s a pretty big leap, they’re already her half brothers and everyone seems to think they are in mortal danger
Because the brothers are seen as the rightful heirs to the throne by many people, and would be able to draw enough people to their side to be an actual threat. This relies somewhat on them actually being receptive to the idea, something made much more likely if they feel it's the only way to stay alive. Marrying aunt and nephew would be a signal to the brothers and Alicent that the Rhaenyra does not want to kill them off just to be safe, because she is willing to shore up her family situation rather than shoring up her safety by finding a wife from another great house. And likewise, if Alicent accepted the idea, it would signal to Rhaenyra that she'd be fine with this arrangement. It's kind of like a prisoner's dilemma, where Rhaenyra is trying to prove to Alicent that she's not gonna press the big Betray button, while Alicent is presently practicing hammering away at it.

zoux posted:

E; I wonder if the window that Aegon was jhaquen off out of was the same one tommen threw himself out of
a lot of kings have been splattered on the ground beneath that window