Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Housesitting at my mom's this week, and have a couple cool roommates. I assume these are giant house spiders, and the one with the smaller spider is probably a female and the mini-me is a male? This is Oregon, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Housesitting at my mom's this week, and have a couple cool roommates. I assume these are giant house spiders, and the one with the smaller spider is probably a female and the mini-me is a male? This is Oregon, btw.

Species ID looks correct, but among giant house spiders it's actually the male that's bigger.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Species ID looks correct, but among giant house spiders it's actually the male that's bigger.

Huh, interesting. I watched the little one run up and tap the big one's leg, but the big one pretty much just ignored it. These are some big critters - it was hard to try to get something in the shot for scale.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my second picture of this dude is actually better i wanna know what the hitchhiker is

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I couldn’t guess the species but it’s some kinda mite

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Oohh! Thanks for the Science.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

my second picture of this dude is actually better i wanna know what the hitchhiker is

A parasitic mite. Velvet mites and water mites have a stage that's parasitic on insects and archnids. They attach when the host is freshly molted and are often found on insects that live near water or in damp habitats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombidiidae

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I didn't expect to see much wildlife when I visited Montreal, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Cormorant getting some morning sun.

This enterprising spider built its web across an entire row of graves.

A marmot paying its respects.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bug pals, I'm trying to ID a fly that has been common for the past few weeks in the Willamette Valley, OR. It's brown bodied, large clear wings, body about a cm long. The other clue is I recently watched A River Runs Through It and in the scene where main guy comes back and goes fishing with Brad Pitt and is out-fishing him, he sees a few of I'm pretty sure the same bug, and adjusts his fishing fly accordingly. That movie takes place in Montana so I imagine it must be a widespread bug west of the continental divide, at least in the north.

Any thoughts?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mayfly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This pretty big Noisy Miner just about sat on my camera bag while trying to con me out of my muffin at the Botanic Gardens cafe, so had to get a phone pic.

Wish I'd remembered to put the flash on for this one, no idea what it is

Even though it has no ID tag, this has to be an escaped pet Cockatiel chewing into some grass seeds, the wild ones are much further north and east

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 21, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NTRabbit posted:

Wish I'd remembered to put the flash on for this one, no idea what it is

Some kind of hoverfly, Syrphidae.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've got some kind of wasp-patterned spider skulking around on my ceiling:

It's pretty small, less than one centimeter in length.
Anyone recognize the species? This is in Norway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zebra jumping spider?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This tiny jumping spider was guarding the top of my car from pests. It was only about a centimeter big but didn't mind me getting my phone out and taking a picture. I've got a little arachnophobia but these guys are cool:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

zebra jumping spider?

Yeah, that looks to be it. Appearance and size checks out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rexxed posted:

This tiny jumping spider was guarding the top of my car from pests. It was only about a centimeter big but didn't mind me getting my phone out and taking a picture. I've got a little arachnophobia but these guys are cool:

As an arachnophobe who is utterly charmed by jumping spiders' little eyeball-y faces, I completely get it, even if I don't rationally get it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

YeahTubaMike posted:

As an arachnophobe who is utterly charmed by jumping spiders' little eyeball-y faces, I completely get it, even if I don't rationally get it.

I literally had a pet tarantula and still can't handle most spiders touching me or being too close to me. I can card-and-cup *most* of them but some still make me so sick to look at that my partner has to do it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found a small spindly spider near a light fixture! There were two more on the ceiling, too far away for a pic.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

It's a cellar spider, which I thought was a singular species since they're all so similar, but is in reality a family of over 1,800 spiders (pholcidae)

Also called daddy longlegs, which is a name also shared by harvestmen and crane flies depending on region.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Forest Road #345 (the Snake Road) in Shawnee National Forest is closed to vehicles twice a year from March 15th to May 15th and Sept. 1st to Oct. 30th. In the spring snakes migrate from their hidey holes in the bluffs across the road to the swamps, in the fall, they migrate back.

I went and saw snakes. Only found Cottonmouths and Water Snakes, but found a plenty of them. Fat and mean.

Worth a couple hour drive if you are anywhere nearby. Beautiful hike up to the top of the bluffs as well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Slo-Tek posted:

Forest Road #345 (the Snake Road) in Shawnee National Forest is closed to vehicles twice a year from March 15th to May 15th and Sept. 1st to Oct. 30th. In the spring snakes migrate from their hidey holes in the bluffs across the road to the swamps, in the fall, they migrate back.

I went and saw snakes. Only found Cottonmouths and Water Snakes, but found a plenty of them. Fat and mean.

Danger… sausage

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love the chubby angry friends. Thank you.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I don't think he's angry... more like terrified. :\

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

saw this big black beauty on a walk in CT yesterday...not sure if its a racer or ratsnake? he was pretty chill which made me think ratsnake but im not great at telling them apart

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yep, the white lower lip and squared off nose are telltale for a ratsnake.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

free hubcaps posted:

saw this big black beauty on a walk in CT yesterday...not sure if its a racer or ratsnake? he was pretty chill which made me think ratsnake but im not great at telling them apart

Zooming with your feet :magical:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

not sure if he (or she)'s emerging or heading down

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a blister beetle, no touchie

likely emerging from a wasp nest that it parasitized

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I think this guy's being chewing on my potato plant. As long as he doesn't kill it he can stay.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

That is a pretty snake, the scales on its head are so shiny!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

that's a blister beetle, no touchie

likely emerging from a wasp nest that it parasitized

why is everything beautiful and interesting so horrifying and deadly

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

why is everything beautiful and interesting so horrifying and deadly

a few weeks ago as i was leaving my step mom's house after a visit i spotted a Cow Killer just ambling across the walkway in front of the house. i hadn't see one of those in decades. feel like it was a good omen.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

free hubcaps posted:

My buddy and I caught one of those to show to my nieces a couple of months ago, about the same size. NW Indiana. We let it go after showing it to the nieces. Cool snake!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Yesterday I found a tiny frog on the floor at work. I thought it was fake until I picked it up, then I thought it was dead, but it moved when I gave it a gentle squeeze. I got a little plastic cup and put it in some water, and hoped it would rehydrate. It moved a couple of times and I added enough water to float a bit. It's eyes were going from white to black. But it didn't seem to make it. I put the cup in my car, planning to give the body to the crows. But when I got home a few hours later, it was alive!! It hopped right out of the cup! I got a few (blurry) pictures and left it in my plants outside. I hope he enjoys the rest of his life!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Good work! :)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Didn't catch a picture but I saw a great black wasp today. Holy crap they're big!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I just googled to see what they look like and wowza, did yours have that crazy gorgeous wing iridescence?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yes, it was very blue. The abdomen looked a bit fatter than the pics and it seemed to be at the very top of the size range, maybe 1.5 inches. Like a cicada killer but dead blue black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Don't know what's up but I caught three of these guys in my basement in as many days, all male.

They're nice and placid until the jar gets too close, at which point they leap inside and run crazy circles around the bottom for a couple seconds before settling down.