Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Heran Bago posted:

Honestly I suggest trying out both if you can and sticking with what you personally like better. I've used both over the years and it sometimes changes which I've preferred for one dumb reason or another.

Have fun learning Debian!

Ok…I have both of them downloaded so if it really is just a personal preference with no real differences I’ll try both!

Debian is pretty cool so far; it’s kinda bare bones compared to WSL’s versions of Ubuntu or Kali (I am a Linux newb but the fact I can run Kali directly from my Windows 10 laptop just makes me laugh remembering dual-booting Ubuntu 8 from a free CD ROM mailed by Canonical!). I’ll dig into ‘em later this evening and report back once I get it going on my desktop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Hah, my hopes are zero. If it can occupy a few hours on a Friday without a lot of deep configuration while I play BattleTech ‘s campaign while modded on my main monitor I’ll be satisfied. If I can get it to run “Pages” without resorting to -man or equivalent then I’ll be happy. If something goes too sideways that a quick question here (SA, not the Win11 thread unless it’s a VM issue with Windows) or a basic Google search won’t fix I will straight up delete and walk away!

I will look for an old Mac, though…I always forget SAMart or shopgoodwill.com etc. Heck I may buy my son a new one for Christmas (he’s using the one we got him for school and graduated in 2020) and reclaim his instead of donating it or ewasting it (which sucks for still useful hardware!).
I will also recommend VMware Workstation Player as a personal licence for the sort of stuff you want to do is free. It's especially good if you want to mess around a bit more with a 'full' Linux install (which is to say a completely self contained OS install) as opposed to WSL (which is a VM but also exists in the actual Windows kernel space). I've been using VMware forever through work and it's always been the most reliable overall across platforms in my experience (although it's lagging behind a bit on macOS at the moment).

Something to note as well is that if you've got the Pro version of Windows 10/11 you can use Hyper-V instead. Hyper-V is Microsoft's equivalent of VMware's core hypervisor built into the operating system and it's perfectly serviceable for both Windows and Linux VMs with minimal fuss.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mercurius posted:

I will also recommend VMware Workstation Player as a personal licence for the sort of stuff you want to do is free. It's especially good if you want to mess around a bit more with a 'full' Linux install (which is to say a completely self contained OS install) as opposed to WSL (which is a VM but also exists in the actual Windows kernel space). I've been using VMware forever through work and it's always been the most reliable overall across platforms in my experience (although it's lagging behind a bit on macOS at the moment).

Something to note as well is that if you've got the Pro version of Windows 10/11 you can use Hyper-V instead. Hyper-V is Microsoft's equivalent of VMware's core hypervisor built into the operating system and it's perfectly serviceable for both Windows and Linux VMs with minimal fuss.

Yeah I have Win11 Pro, and hyper-v is installed. The main thing I liked about WSL is that I can just hit the Win Key and type “de” or “kal” and it opens Debian or Kali straight away.

I am going to install VMware (hopefully) along with whatever MacOS iso I can find this afternoon (couldn’t last night because a bud in Australia wanted to play BattleTech and I ended up setting alarm for 2am and going to bed at 8:30ish lol). Pretty much the only time I can sit uninterrupted at my desktop is after 10pm Central US, but I’ll definitely post if I have virtualization questions.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That might explain why Win11 seems full of bloatware apps that come preinstalled right out of the box:

That started with Windows 8

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ladies and gentlemen, the over/under on time-to-"Aw, naw, to hell with this!" is set at 25 minutes.

Betting begins at the window to your left.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah I have Win11 Pro, and hyper-v is installed. The main thing I liked about WSL is that I can just hit the Win Key and type “de” or “kal” and it opens Debian or Kali straight away.

I am going to install VMware (hopefully) along with whatever MacOS iso I can find this afternoon (couldn’t last night because a bud in Australia wanted to play BattleTech and I ended up setting alarm for 2am and going to bed at 8:30ish lol). Pretty much the only time I can sit uninterrupted at my desktop is after 10pm Central US, but I’ll definitely post if I have virtualization questions.
I'd probably stick with Hyper-V in your case as it's the equivalent of Workstation Pro and has all the virtual networking options which I believe are extremely limited for the personal Workstation Player licence. It may not sound like much but if you decide you want to learn more about networking then being able to set up a few VMs on a private host-only network with another one acting as a router (running something like pfsense) either fully bridged or using NAT to get onto your normal network can be neat.

All you need to get started is an ISO for the appropriate OS and in the case of Linux VMs you might need to disable SecureBoot/TPM emulation (which you'll need for Win11 VMs). Use Gen2 VMs as well, they're more representative of how a modern computer actually works with virtualised UEFI and modern networking support.

Just remember that your Hyper-V VMs are essentially a completely contained separate computer and don't have the hooks back into your Windows userspace that WSL does so they don't share your folders or user accounts, etc. If you want to access files between them you'll need to set up networking and file shares as if you would with another physical computer on your network.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mercurius posted:

I'd probably stick with Hyper-V in your case as it's the equivalent of Workstation Pro…<snip a bunch of good Hyper-V info>

Ok, I’ll look into it further…all I knew was Hyper-V had to be installed (originally?) for WSL to work, and didn’t really know it could be useful beyond that. Which is good to learn!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
gently caress it i'm installing Windows 12

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

barnold posted:

gently caress it i'm installing Windows 12

I don't think Microsoft's ever used a single naming scheme more than two releases in a row. The next version of Windows will be called XII or 11.1 or Puma Retriever or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
windows series x/s

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

windows 360. i'm writing in to satya right now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm voting for Windows [Big Dog].

Windows Great Dane
Windows German Shepard
Windows Husky

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
windows one

that's right we're going back to dos folks

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BoosterDuck posted:

windows one

I think it's uno hth

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BoosterDuck posted:

windows one

The All-In-One Windows One! Beta-tested in the future!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Windows You, because gently caress Me.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows You, because gently caress Me.

:lol:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Windows Next, officially abbreviated to Wext™.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

nitsuga posted:

windows 360. i'm writing in to satya right now.

Windows 360 powered by Microsoft 365

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I uninstall drivers without reinstalling windows from 0?

I have some old as hell drivers which block using memory integrity. I don't think I have related apps installed anymore which used those.

Any pro tips on driver uninstallation?

Edit: ."inf" drivers are still installed properly. You can uninstall them with elevated terminal:

pnputil /delete-driver oemXXX.inf /uninstall

The .sys files are leftovers from improper uninstallations or something like that. Windows loads them anyways if it finds them from windows/drivers. With Autoruns software you can disable loading of them from the Drivers tab.

In theory. The INF part worked but Autoruns didn't work, yet.

Edit2: updated autoruns and deleted the driver entries instead of just untucking the checkbox. Now memory isolation is finally enabled, and first reboot resulted in a bluescreen.

With stop error 0x000021a. Is it possible to disable memory isolation somehow? Hmm maybe from safe mode.

Edit: a reboot seemed to automatically disable it, and now I'm back to windows. What the gently caress is still causing problems!

Does windows create some kind of crash dump I could analyze? To figure out what is causing the BSOD with memory isolation. Thanks.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 26, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well. I disabled loading of the drivers windows nagged about, but it didn't help. I started disabling some other poo poo too, many CD/DVD era drivers, I had powerstrip 3 installed etc, jesus. Lots of poo poo from 200X. Well Now it finally booted up, must have been one of those 15+ year old drivers.

Still some issues to work around though. Whatever the gently caress that is.

Edit:

NAL Nal Service : Intel(R) Network Adapter Diagnostic Driver (Verified) Intel(R) INTELND1617 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\iqvw64e.sys Fri Apr 7 14:23:15 2017

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 26, 2022

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Why don't you want to reinstall Windows? If you have this much garbage floating around your system it's probably going to be easier to backup your files and reinstall, and you'll most likely have a more performant computer in the end.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zerot posted:

Why don't you want to reinstall Windows? If you have this much garbage floating around your system it's probably going to be easier to backup your files and reinstall, and you'll most likely have a more performant computer in the end.

How could I measure the performance? It doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

I am too lazy to reinstall.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

How could I measure the performance? It doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

I am too lazy to reinstall.

Too lazy to reinstall, but not too lazy to gently caress around with drivers that are old enough to drink?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kalman posted:

Too lazy to reinstall, but not too lazy to gently caress around with drivers that are old enough to drink?

Well I hosed around and I will bet it took significantly less time than setup a PC from zero.

That iqvw was some old intel driver. I had to temporarily remove hyper-v virtual switch to uninstall the driver package from 2017.. yes.. probably used by my old motherboard.

Now it is giving crap from ene.sys. Most likely it is some RGB crap from Asus Aura installation, which was complete utter garbage. It isn't listed in autoruns nor in oem inf list, so I have to figure out how to uninstall it. https://zer0-day.pw/2020-06/asus-aura-sync-stack-based-buffer-overflow/

I am sure the bad drivers will stop appearing at some point.

It is a good thing windows 11 finally informed me that I should turn memory isolation on.

Edit: seems you can show devices by driver in Device Management, and uninstall them easily from there too. Welp, good to know!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 26, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kalman posted:

Yeah honestly, Windows reinstalls are a breeze these days. Before a format i quickly check through my usual program installers for any updates to them, Window takes about 15 minutes to install, plus maybe a cumulative update, then about another 20 minutes for all my other stuff. About an hour on the latest 10 or 11 release is all it took me as recently as last week.

Back in 2013 my uncle came over from elsewhere on the UK for a day trip and dropped his Windows 7 laptop into me for a full format and reinstall. He collected it later in the evening and it had most everything done except a few Windows updates, which he could finish at home.

Now obviously some of that time is due to the hardware of the day, but the majority of it was taken up by cumulative update after cumulative update, none of which actually seemed to actually accumulate much of the prior update, driver installs etc.

Basically if you've got the time and volition to do everything you've done already, you'd have had the time and volition for a clean Windows install. Join us.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Ihmemies posted:

How do I uninstall drivers without reinstalling windows from 0?
I used this:
https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer
On some Asus sound enhancement crapware, which ended up reinstalling itself via windows update like a zombie.
If it reinstalls from windows update there is a way to flag that update as a problem so you can keep updating without it.

It can be a pain in the butt even on a fresh install so I eventually settled on keeping the driver's but not the software.

E: yeah the Asus forums recommended if for armory crate like stuff. Armory crate is also a flag in the bios to install so be careful with that, I suspect the sound stuff I was referring to is as well, but I didn't want to turn off all audio enhancements in the bios, I just wanted to use my own.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 26, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Windows installation doesn't take time. Everything else takes time.

Anyways, ene.sys was used by asus armory crate it seems. I tried it years ago but it sucked so I uninstalled it G.skill had provided a batch file for really uninstalling it (since the ASUS uninstaller) doesn't really work.

So. https://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/p...uninstall-guide

Now finally it got removed too. Maybe I'm now finished and can resume using the PC, and from now on windows warns me about poo poo drivers.

Edit: no. Now it's mslo64.sys. How many poo poo drivers is it possible to have on one PC!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 26, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kalman posted:

I’m in this camp…but only because of my 4G LTE internet. Nuking and reinstalling from scratch is feasible only as a last resort, because I have a few big games/applications that it takes literal days to re-download (a game of 12Gb+ takes overnight, and some modern games are 30, 70, 100+!) and then reinstall. Even then I have to redownload stuff like nvidia drivers and Windows updates (all the updates). If I can rollback or remove a problem driver that can save me a forced week-long vacation from online activities that use the desktop, which also doesn’t include resetting various program configuration files/UI stuff!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Msio64.sys was more Asus aura/crate garbage. Unbelievable how much poo poo and kernel exploits that one single package contained. Yes. Asus I hate you.

FINALLY I seem to be out of poo poo drivers to uninstall/disable/get rid of.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you have bad drivers that seem to keep coming back, turn off automatic driver installation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah honestly, Windows reinstalls are a breeze these days. Before a format i quickly check through my usual program installers for any updates to them, Window takes about 15 minutes to install, plus maybe a cumulative update, then about another 20 minutes for all my other stuff. About an hour on the latest 10 or 11 release is all it took me as recently as last week.

So like do you just use all your programs with default settings all the time, or do you have something that makes backup & restore of all that stuff a fast & simple process?

The last time I did a full clean install was for 10, and it took me most of a weekend to get everything set up just so. And then for about a week after that I'd occasionally still hit something that I needed to poke at.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Last time I made a clean install was for 64bit windows vista, when moving on from 32bit xp. That was back in the day.

I had installed all the bad drivers during years of use. The drivers are not in use anymore. Now I completely understand why ms implemented memory isolation.

The amount of garbage drivers manufacturers push out is unbelievable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Riot did something similar with their Vanguard anti-cheat initially (blocklisting drivers known to have goatse sized kernel backdoors) and everyone just got mad at them for breaking their RGB software lol

Microsoft baking that into Windows is a great move, manufacturers will have an incentive to actually get their poo poo together

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
How does your living space look like? Any old newspapers?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I determined that my Windows install is now over 15 years old.

Anyways, I have local Finnish gaming magazine called "Pelit" from year 1992-> in my shelf.

So 30 full volumes (?).

repiv posted:

Riot did something similar with their Vanguard anti-cheat initially (blocklisting drivers known to have goatse sized kernel backdoors) and everyone just got mad at them for breaking their RGB software lol

Microsoft baking that into Windows is a great move, manufacturers will have an incentive to actually get their poo poo together

Seems the core isolation feature is from 2018. Windows 10 didn't really nag about it so I didn't know about it. Good that Windows 11 notified I should turn it on.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

If you have bad drivers that seem to keep coming back, turn off automatic driver installation.

So like do you just use all your programs with default settings all the time, or do you have something that makes backup & restore of all that stuff a fast & simple process?

The last time I did a full clean install was for 10, and it took me most of a weekend to get everything set up just so. And then for about a week after that I'd occasionally still hit something that I needed to poke at.

The programs I use day to day now are diminished compared with what they used to be. A Firefox backup is just a matter of copying the profile folder to my mass storage drive, my iTunes library copies across fine (starting to feel old still using that), but most other things just require a few settings switches here and there, nothing too involved.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Say you're into music production software, you might well have to deal with a hundred installers for plugins, each initiated through some nasty proprietary piece of middleware that the developer hopes prevents piracy, that you're sure to have to log into their website for and have to download a downloader stub for to even be allowed to download the actual software with. Forget cleanly transferring presets you might have made in the past, asset folders, projects. Forget getting that set up in even a week and you're bound to lose some thing or another in the process, through no fault of your own. It's an absolute nightmare and I just gave up on a Windows 8 computer that I couldn't get upgraded to 10.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

After Windows/drivers, it's basically "reinstall 1Password, Chrome and Office, make sure they're set up properly, reinstall Steam and point it to the relevant Steam library folders" for me. Every few weeks/month I might (*might*) need to reinstall some other program, but that's 10 minutes here or there spread over months, not a big deal.

Like, yes, there are scenarios where it's a bigger deal - LTE-only internet, music production and the trash-rear end software involved, but for the most part, a reinstall really isn't that hard.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Flipperwaldt posted:

Say you're into music production software, you might well have to deal with a hundred installers for plugins, each initiated through some nasty proprietary piece of middleware that the developer hopes prevents piracy, that you're sure to have to log into their website for and have to download a downloader stub for to even be allowed to download the actual software with. Forget cleanly transferring presets you might have made in the past, asset folders, projects. Forget getting that set up in even a week and you're bound to lose some thing or another in the process, through no fault of your own. It's an absolute nightmare and I just gave up on a Windows 8 computer that I couldn't get upgraded to 10.
This is a case where you should be imaging and archiving. That is indeed not a case where a "simple re-install" is simple, however your (?} case is going to be a faction of a percentage of Windows users.

For just installing Win 10 or 11, you are talking 10-15 minutes. And that is from starting to being at the desktop (unless you are installing to spinning disks, then just why??). Downloading updates isn't like the Win7 days where it had to get everything in order. Now it just grabs the latest version compared to what you used for an ISO, and any small updates in-between. One can lower the update time by grabbing the latest ISO too if the one you have is over a year or so old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kalman posted:

After Windows/drivers, it's basically "reinstall 1Password, Chrome and Office, make sure they're set up properly, reinstall Steam and point it to the relevant Steam library folders" for me. Every few weeks/month I might (*might*) need to reinstall some other program, but that's 10 minutes here or there spread over months, not a big deal.

Like, yes, there are scenarios where it's a bigger deal - LTE-only internet, music production and the trash-rear end software involved, but for the most part, a reinstall really isn't that hard.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with anyone here…before upgrading to Win11 I backed up what I could to the point of writing in a notebook some programs’ configuration options that weren’t stored in an easily copied *.txt file copied to iCloud/OneDrive/Google Drive. My “Downloads” folder had installers and .zip files from 2015’s Win10 GTX970 machine, and even some from my Christmas 2010 Win7. I keep everything I download (including Windows background images/bitmaps!) just so I won’t have to redo the actual download process. Trauma from rural satellite internet’s bandwidth.

I’m not arguing either. Win 10/11 both are very forgiving, and when I had every program I used on CD/DVD including Win7/XP/98, flatten and install was second nature. It’s not a difficult process…but with many people and for many reasons spending a couple of hours farting around with drivers and updates may save someone from a week of at the least frustration, and at worst severe data loss. Nuke/install for me is not hard conceptually. But time wise? Sheesh