Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Did a redo of my Psychedelic Jam from the Zlob SVF vs Ripples v1 filter comparison video. I'm in some kind of weird, Philip Glass mood lately, I guess.

A lot more Rings this time around, Rings is really the star of the show. I built my Rings module from a DIY kit, can anyone with a real Rings tell me - when you plug something into the Audio In jack, does the Strum jack no longer work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4ncLFcXF0

Also, there's more student film/video poo poo than ever before in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This new befaco 4hp oscillator looks pretty cool! Thru zero fm and wave folding, also available in 1u.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/09/befaco-pony-vco-new-compact-analog-thru-zero-oscillator-in-4hp-and-1u.html

I was gonna get another sto to pair with the one I have for fm, but might wait and see how this shapes up.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

A lot more Rings this time around, Rings is really the star of the show. I built my Rings module from a DIY kit, can anyone with a real Rings tell me - when you plug something into the Audio In jack, does the Strum jack no longer work?

If you are sending continuous audio into the Rings IN jack, then you get continuous audio out of Rings. I find that if I want a note out of Rings when the Strum input is triggered, then I have to use an envelope on the audio feed into the IN jack that starts when Strum is triggered.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eccles posted:

If you are sending continuous audio into the Rings IN jack, then you get continuous audio out of Rings. I find that if I want a note out of Rings when the Strum input is triggered, then I have to use an envelope on the audio feed into the IN jack that starts when Strum is triggered.

Thank you. It doesn't seem to work that way on mine. Even if I have something with no volume plugged into IN - even if the other end of the cable is not plugged in at all - Strum doesn't work if a cable is plugged into IN. The left light blinks, but no sound.

It's DIY so maybe I did something wrong, though.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
When you plug something into the IN jack of Rings, you are bypassing the internal noise source that Rings uses by default to tickle the resonator. So getting no audio out when you do that and trigger Strum is expected.

But yeah, if you have a continuous audio signal plugged into the IN jack, and you are listening to the Odd output (with nothing else plugged into Rings) and you don't hear a continuous sound, then something may be wrong.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eccles posted:

When you plug something into the IN jack of Rings, you are bypassing the internal noise source that Rings uses by default to tickle the resonator. So getting no audio out when you do that and trigger Strum is expected.

But yeah, if you have a continuous audio signal plugged into the IN jack, and you are listening to the Odd output (with nothing else plugged into Rings) and you don't hear a continuous sound, then something may be wrong.

No, I do. I’m just wondering if Strum isn’t supposed to work then. If the Strum input is overridden by something being plugged into the In jack, then mine is working right.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
On mine Strum does work when I have audio present on the In jack, but that audio needs to be just a burst of audio that happens at the same time you trigger the Strum input. Then whatever audio was present at the In jack is used to hit the resonator instead of the default internal noise source.

If you plug a clock into the Strum jack with nothing else plugged in, you get a Rings sound out with each clock pulse.

If you then plug a patch cable into the In jack with nothing plugged into the other side of that cable, Rings stops making sound because there now is no excitation signal when Strum is triggered.

If you now plug other free end of the In cable into an oscillator, you should hear that oscillator being processed by Rings resonator, but it will be a continuous tone, and triggering the Strum doesn't seem to do anything.

If you then use the clock that is hitting strum to also gate the audio (standard ADSR envelope & VCA stuff) being fed into the In jack, then Strum will work again, because you only have audio fed into the In jack when the Strum is triggered. I don't think Strum is even needed if you are feeding gated audio into the In jack. From the Rings manual:

quote:

First, if nothing is patched in the IN audio input, the module will synthesize an excitation signal whenever a
note is strummed. This excitation signal is either a low-pass filtered pulse, or a burst of noise depending on
the resonator type.
Secondly, if nothing is patched in the STRUM audio input, the module will determine that a new string should
be strummed either by:
Detecting note changes on the V/OCT input, or
Detecting sharp transients within the IN audio signal if nothing is patched in the V/OCT input.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eccles posted:

If you plug a clock into the Strum jack with nothing else plugged in, you get a Rings sound out with each clock pulse.

If you then plug a patch cable into the In jack with nothing plugged into the other side of that cable, Rings stops making sound because there now is no excitation signal when Strum is triggered.

Awesome, that’s the behavior I was asking about. Looks like my DIY module is fine.

Eccles posted:

If you now plug other free end of the In cable into an oscillator, you should hear that oscillator being processed by Rings resonator, but it will be a continuous tone, and triggering the Strum doesn't seem to do anything.

If you then use the clock that is hitting strum to also gate the audio (standard ADSR envelope & VCA stuff) being fed into the In jack, then Strum will work again, because you only have audio fed into the In jack when the Strum is triggered. I don't think Strum is even needed if you are feeding gated audio into the In jack. From the Rings manual:

Is there any difference in sound between pulses of audio going into IN with and without Strum? Is there like an accent?

Thank you for your help! Now I’m pretty sure my Rings module is working as intended.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I hear no difference when a trigger is sent to the Strum jack vs. nothing plugged into the Strum jack when a burst of sound triggers Rings at the In jack. Strum seems redundant in this situation.

I'm glad to hear that your Rings seems to be working.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Probably old news but I just saw that WMD is shutting down. Sucks.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Anybody ever just kinda lose interest in a module? I had some fun with the Basimilus Iteritas Alter when I first got it, but I'm realizing I use it only rarely for a limited number of things, virtually none of which are drums which I originally got it for. I'm debating, for the sake of being able to do better hihats and bizarro percussion sounds, replacing it with a Befaco Noise Plethora and pairing that with a Bastl Skis or some LPGs. I have other sources I prefer to use for basslines over the BIA and I know the Noise Plethora will be a loving blast for drones. I played with it for a while in VCV Rack last night and it's cool as hell.

Also definitely interested in the new Befaco TZFM oscillator, although I'm mostly set with regular oscillators for now.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Getting MI Marbles as my first real module has been working out pretty well so far. I already have a behringer neutron and a model D and I've figured out how to get a kick + snare going on the neutron and then use the model D as a bass voice. I've had the neutron for over a year now and I've just been using it as a monosynth, now that I'm actually diving into the patchbay I'm appreciating how much it can do. I've already ordered a MI Tides V2 as my next module because I think it will give me a lot of options with integrating with what I already have. I'm realizing that filling a 104hp case can get quite expensive quickly so maybe I'll move the Model D into the case so I'm less tempted to just go on reverb and buy random poo poo until the case is packed.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What do you guys think

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

get it and try to fix it

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Achmed Jones posted:

get it and try to fix it

:agreed:

If you're lucky it might be a bad or incorrect power supply.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

Getting MI Marbles as my first real module has been working out pretty well so far. I already have a behringer neutron and a model D and I've figured out how to get a kick + snare going on the neutron and then use the model D as a bass voice. I've had the neutron for over a year now and I've just been using it as a monosynth, now that I'm actually diving into the patchbay I'm appreciating how much it can do. I've already ordered a MI Tides V2 as my next module because I think it will give me a lot of options with integrating with what I already have. I'm realizing that filling a 104hp case can get quite expensive quickly so maybe I'll move the Model D into the case so I'm less tempted to just go on reverb and buy random poo poo until the case is packed.

I was too late moving the Model D and I impulse bought a MI Rings.
At least I can re-sell these at cost later on right?

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Stabbing Spork posted:

If it’s a factory built Rings you will likely make a profit on it since they’re discontinued

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stabbing Spork posted:

I had 3 semi modulars I barely understood and then I threw 7k at modules and a hydrasynth and also started messing with VCV rack and putting time in and watching videos and I am learning a lot but

your approach is better

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stabbing Spork posted:

I'll buy your rings now

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any of you guys use one of those zoom multistomp pedals for reverb with your synths? How does it sound? Do you use it wet as a send from a mixer or stick it straight after your synth?

Debating if I buy a pedal that does just one reverb sound well or this one.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

field balm posted:

Any of you guys use one of those zoom multistomp pedals for reverb with your synths? How does it sound? Do you use it wet as a send from a mixer or stick it straight after your synth?

I've a Zoom CDR-70 attached to my mixer aux, so I can control the level of effects, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work well as is. I've barely scratched the surface of what the box can do, there's just so many virtual pedals in it with different approaches to chorus, delay and reverb. Nothing wrong audio quality wise, unless you're an analog snob.

As to should you buy one, it depends how straightforward you want it to be. Getting a multistomp means a lot menu diving, and I don't think the Zoom models have any fancy USB connectivity features besides upgrading your firmware. If you just need a pedal to do some kind of reverb, maybe get just that.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

field balm posted:

If you're thinking the CDR70, it's definitely a fun and capable pedal, but in retrospect I'd rather have a better sounding dedicated reverb pedal. I like it more for it's weird modulation effects rather than the standard ones.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
What 1U stuff do you bitches have?

I have 26hp to burn and I already have a mordax.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I've a Zoom CDR-70 attached to my mixer aux, so I can control the level of effects, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work well as is. I've barely scratched the surface of what the box can do, there's just so many virtual pedals in it with different approaches to chorus, delay and reverb. Nothing wrong audio quality wise, unless you're an analog snob.

As to should you buy one, it depends how straightforward you want it to be. Getting a multistomp means a lot menu diving, and I don't think the Zoom models have any fancy USB connectivity features besides upgrading your firmware. If you just need a pedal to do some kind of reverb, maybe get just that.

ricecult posted:

If you're thinking the CDR70, it's definitely a fun and capable pedal, but in retrospect I'd rather have a better sounding dedicated reverb pedal. I like it more for it's weird modulation effects rather than the standard ones.

My use case would probably be an aux send, and there doesn't seem to be many verb pedals that can do 100% wet and stereo out so I guess I'll give it a shot. I mainly want a plate sound and the ability to do some huge modulated reverbs so I'm sure there's an algorithm or 2 that will hit the mark.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

field balm posted:

My use case would probably be an aux send, and there doesn't seem to be many verb pedals that can do 100% wet and stereo out so I guess I'll give it a shot. I mainly want a plate sound and the ability to do some huge modulated reverbs so I'm sure there's an algorithm or 2 that will hit the mark.

Boss MD-500

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've also got a Zoom pedal. It's there because I don't want to carry around separate distortion, phaser, chorus, and so on. For reverb specifically, I like a dedicated pedal for playing live. On an experimental gig, I'll run two different mono signals into the left and right inputs to mess with the algorithm. On a traditional gig I like to pack light and just use built-in effects. They get the job done well enough; its more about fitting in with the rest of the band anyway.

At home I just use a plugin.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

petit choux posted:

Boss MD-500

Thanks for the rec but it's 3 times the price, I'll get an erbeverbe or something if I end up spending that much!

So Math posted:

I've also got a Zoom pedal. It's there because I don't want to carry around separate distortion, phaser, chorus, and so on. For reverb specifically, I like a dedicated pedal for playing live. On an experimental gig, I'll run two different mono signals into the left and right inputs to mess with the algorithm. On a traditional gig I like to pack light and just use built-in effects. They get the job done well enough; its more about fitting in with the rest of the band anyway.

At home I just use a plugin.

Fair enough! I'll probably still use plugins for recording but my eurorack stuff sounds so dry it's hard to imagine what it will sound like with reverb, I think I'll just give the Zoom a shot.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

field balm posted:

Thanks for the rec but it's 3 times the price, I'll get an erbeverbe or something if I end up spending that much!

Fair enough! I'll probably still use plugins for recording but my eurorack stuff sounds so dry it's hard to imagine what it will sound like with reverb, I think I'll just give the Zoom a shot.

Well I won't go off on what a powerhouse it is then, I didn't actually buy it for the reverb so much as the slicer but yeah, my experience with Zoom hardware has always been pretty good. Probably really good for playing live.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

after talking in email to the Alter Sound people I am jazzed on their company and I am fishing for a way to come up with a grand to fill a small 48hp case with the COCO suite plus a couple utility modules

also want another grand for a WMD PM

looking at the massive weed plants ripening in my garden and having evil thoughts

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

field balm posted:

Check out the TC electronic Hall of Fame 2. It does 100% wet using dip switches on the back and you can load a few custom reverb sounds on it. I pair it with a Flashback 2 on an aux bus and it gives a lot of flexibility and sounds great.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
they've done it
the bastards have really done it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRuOGtBWCg

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Reply if you use song mode.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

What’s a “song?”

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
a miserable pile of sequences

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

What’s a “song?”

Tayter Swift posted:

:golfclap:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tayter Swift posted:

they've done it
the bastards have really done it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRuOGtBWCg

Looks pretty sweet from this Red Means Recording brief video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XP2drwvYWI

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Oh wow, that Syntakt Keyboard fold/scale mode got slipped in too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjGpBB3WMc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tayter Swift posted:

gently caress

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Reply if you use song mode.

Elektron song mode is good. First one is OT, second one was sequenced entirely in a Machinedrum in one night.

https://technoliches.bandcamp.com/track/tears-of-blood
https://soundcloud.com/technoliches/h8r-kru-blue-pill

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

What’s a “song?”

the whole loving point of any of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

hold up there ace I'm just trying to make bleeps, bloops, and wuruaaarrrggoohggh sounds