Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ah, just what The Kids are clamoring for these days: a virtual Walmart experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is roblox like minecraft where I can tear it all down?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Is roblox like minecraft where I can tear it all down?

It was a knock off of Blockland, a knock off Lego game. It’s since morphed into Child Exploitation: The Game where kids are tricked by adults to make virtual items they then sell in the game to other children while Roblox skims off the top of every transaction. Letting companies make virtual company towns to get kids loyal to their brands just seems like the next logical step point in exploiting kids :laffo:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It's loving nuts how expensive the game is and every kid in elementary school seems to play it.
The money isn't useful for anything, just buying skins or cosmetic items. The skins are poo poo, but kids are too dumb to know otherwise.
Then there's in-game scams where people hide donate buttons behind stuff that kids will try click on.

It's just vile how predatory it is and parents just seem to accept it cause most of the time it's only a couple quid every other week. It's exploiting the fact kids that young aren't discerning, and don't know how to compare products. You'll see identical skins for $1, $10, and $100.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Seattle thread:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/wa-is-stuck-with-a-travel-nurse-dilemma-pitting-care-against-costs/

Money shots:

quote:

Hospitals continue to lean on travelers because the influx of patients has not slowed in months — some are in for COVID-19 treatments, but many are admitted for summer injuries or delayed care due to the pandemic.

Health care leaders say they are caught in a messy cycle: Hospitals need travel nurses to cover standard shifts, but travelers are expensive, and the longer hospitals retain high levels of contract nurses, the worse financial shape they’ll be in.

Salaries for travelers, whose pay rates can be up to two or three times more than a permanent staffer’s, are one of the major reasons hospital systems in the Pacific Northwest — home to a large community of travel nurses — are having budget problems, hospital leaders say. And it leads to morale issues with the permanent nurses.

This summer, the Washington State Hospital Association reported hospitals across the state suffered a net loss of about $929 million in the first three months of 2022. While operating revenue increased by 5%, operating expenses increased by 11%.

Association CEO Cassie Sauer said at the time that if the trend continued, hospitals would likely have to cut some services or close inpatient units — or, in a worst-case scenario, close or file for bankruptcy. Some large Seattle hospitals have already shown signs of strain.

In August, for example, a lack of bed space and an increasing number of high-cost patients staying for long periods forced Harborview to temporarily divert some patients to nearby hospitals.

Hospitals having to shut down in bankruptcy due to having too many patients.

Truly the best possible system.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Marenghi posted:

It's exploiting the fact kids that young aren't discerning, and don't know how to compare products. You'll see identical skins for $1, $10, and $100.

teaching them the only form of self-expression that matters, and can be seen, is through consumption

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Unless posted:

teaching them the only form of self-expression that matters, and can be seen, is through consumption

:hmmyes:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ham Equity posted:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/wa-is-stuck-with-a-travel-nurse-dilemma-pitting-care-against-costs/

Money shots:

1) do travel nurses actually have to travel or can you just be a free agent who takes 3 month contracts 2) why doesn't every nurse travel lmao how can you pass up 2x pay. if there's that many travel nurses you can staff half a facility with them it can't be busloads of indigent nurses crisscrossing the interstates looking for jobs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indigi posted:

1) do travel nurses actually have to travel or can you just be a free agent who takes 3 month contracts 2) why doesn't every nurse travel lmao how can you pass up 2x pay. if there's that many travel nurses you can staff half a facility with them it can't be busloads of indigent nurses crisscrossing the interstates looking for jobs

there usually is a geographic minimum, but it’s on the order of an hour’s drive usually. so with two nearby cities you do get all the nurses in city A quitting and getting travel contracts in city B and vice versa

the remaining staff nurses usually have childcare or other issues that prevent them from having a very long commute or moving and are greatly annoyed that “there’s no money for raises”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

The article doesn't mention it, but I personally know a few nurses who have quit to be travel nurses. I suspect there's a lot of that happening, which is probably helping to drive the demand for travel nurses.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

there usually is a geographic minimum, but it’s on the order of an hour’s drive usually. so with two nearby cities you do get all the nurses in city A quitting and getting travel contracts in city B and vice versa

the remaining staff nurses usually have childcare or other issues that prevent them from having a very long commute or moving and are greatly annoyed that “there’s no money for raises”

even that's a bad metric. an hour's drive could be the Bronx to Staten Island

e:

e2: holy gently caress 3 hours by subway?? what the gently caress is going on in New York

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

indigi posted:

e:

e2: holy gently caress 3 hours by subway?? what the gently caress is going on in New York

The subway doesn't connect to Staten Island.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
yeah, you'd usually transfer to the free ferry at South Ferry instead, that takes it down to about an hour and a half

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

e:

There's a river in the way

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
lol one of my customers is in a panic state because the software they "SPENT THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS" licensing has been improperly/illegally preparing shipping documents and SDSes.

Should have spent that money on an expert to prepare and review this poo poo.

Obviously my directly citing the CFR and providing LOI's explicitly saying their formatting is wrong can't be trusted, a big corporation sold them software with HAZMAT MODULES.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Money shots:

pay the ceo less

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

pay the ceo less

no

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

pay the ceo less

arguing against minority rights? what are you, an authoritarian

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u can drink beers on the staten island ferry all is well

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

indigi posted:

e:

driving 90 mins, going from the lovely part of staten island to the lovely part of the bronx, ah i love this town.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

The subway doesn't connect to Staten Island.

I guess that's why I've never been to Shaolin then. lol what a joke

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In Training posted:

There's a river in the way

I think that getting trains across rivers is actually a problem we solved a while ago.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dan Price being outed as a shitheel also gave chuds a convenient strawman to use when the topic of "pay the boss less and the workers more" ever comes up.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Panfilo posted:

Dan Price being outed as a shitheel also gave chuds a convenient strawman to use when the topic of "pay the boss less and the workers more" ever comes up.

I am not interested in defending him though I am curious about what you are referring to.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Sean posted:

I am not interested in defending him though I am curious about what you are referring to.
An article recently came out that revealed the dude was a total psycho, who in addition to harassing multiple people basically invented his whole compassionate capitalist persona as a PR stunt after a lawsuit involving his brother -a coowner of the company- sued Dan for pilfering the company with ridiculous pay increases for himself.
An interesting anecdote invovled making his workers come watch the Anthony Weiner documentary with him. The workers had to sit on his floor at his house as he pointed out the lesson of the film is "PR is everything and the most important thing you can do is craft a narrative."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I think that getting trains across rivers is actually a problem we solved a while ago.

Yes - a while ago.

In the modern era of "replacing that stop sign will cost 8 billion dollars and seven years of environmental review before getting cancelled when the next governor takes office" it's a little harder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I believe any bridges there would have to be ridiculously high to accommodate shipping traffic?

clearly it can be done but if the ferry works :shrug:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

invented his whole compassionate capitalist persona as a PR stunt after a lawsuit involving his brother -a coowner of the company- sued Dan for pilfering the company with ridiculous pay increases for himself.

who cares about this. he pays his employees well and that's a better outcome than 99.999% of corporate executives who get sued for financial malfeasance. did he do anything actually bad (besides being a capitalist)

if anything the fact that he's still a greedy image obsessed weirdo makes him more useful as a cudgel

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

He has charges of "light" sexual assault.

Also accused (not charged afaict) with rape.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

who cares about this. he pays his employees well and that's a better outcome than 99.999% of corporate executives who get sued for financial malfeasance. did he do anything actually bad (besides being a capitalist)

if anything the fact that he's still a greedy image obsessed weirdo makes him more useful as a cudgel

:pwn:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

evilpicard posted:

He has charges of "light" sexual assault.

Also accused (not charged afaict) with rape.

ok gently caress him then

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

“Did he do anything bad besides being a capitalist” what more do you need

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

One still wonders why other companies treat their employees worse than the accused rapist, however.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weembles posted:

Yes - a while ago.

In the modern era of "replacing that stop sign will cost 8 billion dollars and seven years of environmental review before getting cancelled when the next governor takes office" it's a little harder.

Ah yes, the environmental protections in the US are too strong :shuckyes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

indigi posted:

lmao

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

Ah yes, the environmental protections in the US are too strong :shuckyes:

Just L-O-L if you think the environment review system in the US is designed to do anything other than move money into the pockets of consulting companies.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I believe any bridges there would have to be ridiculously high to accommodate shipping traffic?

clearly it can be done but if the ferry works :shrug:

If only there was some alternative to going over the river. Maybe in the future, hyperloop technology can be used to solve this problem.

The real reason is of course that public transport is not immediately profitable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Employees reportedly contributed to buy a Tesla for Price as a show of gratitude,[27] but two experienced employees in Gravity’s marketing department later said that Price himself came up with the Tesla gift idea.

quote:

Price resigned as Gravity Payments CEO on August 17, 2022, telling employees that he needs to step aside from his CEO role to "focus full time on fighting false accusations made against me."

quote:

Price has made frequent use of social media to post liberal-leaning critiques about socioeconomic issues. Some of his posts were widely shared as Internet memes. Most of his posts were ghostwritten by Mike Rosenberg,[1] a former reporter for The Seattle Times who was suspended from his job in 2019 after revelations that he sent sexually explicit messages to another journalist.

I haven't even gotten to the entire "allegations of sexual assault" section lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Glad the sex-pest job network was there for the reporter guy