Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

poland is incredibly powerful rn

Getting both Hungary and Bohemia PU'd alongside Lithuania gives you such a rocket start. Although I'm now tanking along wondering how I get to tell the nobles to gently caress off since I had to capitulate early on due to bad timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The Quantity nerf as well as not getting Crimea as an auto-annex has made early Ottos a lot less intimidating. It used to be that Quantity Ottos would steamroll any AI competition but now it takes quite a while longer for them to build up.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Teuton Horde is the most insane thing. I was rolling 0-20-15 armies and absolutely disintegrating Otto's 2x or even 3x bigger armies (as well as Revolutionary France, Russia or whoever else).

I thought getting the "Reform the Mongol Empire as Holy Horde" would be close, but I finished with 60 years to spare against the usual bloated Otto as well as a gigantic Hindustan.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 24, 2022

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I started a Sweden game and wanted the Lion of the North achievement, I had a very beefy Sweden and was ready to rumble with the Catholics. However, then my ruler died and I got a regency which meant that Brandenburg took over leadership and they triggered the war and after fighting a 10-year hell war against mega-Austria which I pretty much won single-handedly - I didn't receive the achievement. Is it hardcoded that you have to be the leader?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I started a Sweden game and wanted the Lion of the North achievement, I had a very beefy Sweden and was ready to rumble with the Catholics. However, then my ruler died and I got a regency which meant that Brandenburg took over leadership and they triggered the war and after fighting a 10-year hell war against mega-Austria which I pretty much won single-handedly - I didn't receive the achievement. Is it hardcoded that you have to be the leader?

The achievement says "lead the Protestant league to victory," so I'd assume so.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Didn't one of the dev diaries say that they made the AI better at moving troops across water? That was a lie. I have yet to see England offer any meaningful resistance to France in any of my games; they just watch across the channel as France sieges them down freely.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If you're talking early game, then that's probably the correct thing to do. Even if they could somehow transport their entire army at once, it would be way outnumbered and just die.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah especially with all the vassals. It slows France down but at the very start they probably have more troops (and forts) than before

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lol what are you talking about? How is it the "correct thing" for the AI to malfunction and not participate in its own war? I'm not talking about player meta-strats here, Pdox has said they were fixing this behavior in like three separate patches over the last two years and haven't been accurate about what they shipped once.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

Lol what are you talking about? How is it the "correct thing" for the AI to malfunction and not participate in its own war? I'm not talking about player meta-strats here, Pdox has said they were fixing this behavior in like three separate patches over the last two years and haven't been accurate about what they shipped once.

I'm assuming this is referring to the usual "Surrender of Maine" early game war, but usually when that breaks out England 1) has less troops than France+Vassals+Allies in an offensive war, so can't contest the sieges, and 2) has even less transports than troops, so can't land without getting stackwiped.

Unless England is player-controlled, that's a war England will easily lose? They're playing optimally for a bad situation, which is to sacrifice their continental possessions to protect their island territory. Sure, AI England could go hard into debt for mercenaries, but there isn't any reason France couldn't do the same, and ultimately it would just make the resulting loss more costly.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Britain is extremely outnumbered on the mainland with France and her vassals alone, when you add France's allies into the picture it's clear that moving their troops to the European mainland is just going to waste money and manpower getting crushed. It's true that skilled human players can win the war for Maine, but it makes sense that the AI would avoid moving to the mainland in that specific war.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

England is supposed to lose the HYW fyi

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only real problem is that the AI doesn't just pick the surrender Maine option when it comes up, instead fighting a war for it.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

yeti friend posted:

England is supposed to lose the HYW fyi

No poo poo they're supposed to lose, but they're supposed to fight and lose, not stay holed up on their island because and unintended AI behavior makes them incapable of putting troops onto boats and moving them across the strait, which is the whole thing I'm trying to interrogate here. Some of you seem to think the AI is doing some smart calculation by conceding without taking manpower losses, and I am here to remind you that that is something the EU4 AI has never done.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But it's dangerous out there! :ohdear:
Much safer to sit inside underneath a table covering with a blanket.

Why not just make the threaten war ability have a much shorter cooldown and a +100 modifier to accepting for having at least one more soldier?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

No poo poo they're supposed to lose, but they're supposed to fight and lose, not stay holed up on their island because and unintended AI behavior makes them incapable of putting troops onto boats and moving them across the strait, which is the whole thing I'm trying to interrogate here. Some of you seem to think the AI is doing some smart calculation by conceding without taking manpower losses, and I am here to remind you that that is something the EU4 AI has never done.

I've been too busy playing total war to know if they've improved AI naval landing behavior, but the HYW is a pretty poor piece of evidence either way IMO. England refusing to suicide their troops could be caused by a lot of things not related to naval landings.

Poil posted:

But it's dangerous out there! :ohdear:
Much safer to sit inside underneath a table covering with a blanket.

Why not just make the threaten war ability have a much shorter cooldown and a +100 modifier to accepting for having at least one more soldier?

:rolleyes:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the AI is pretty easily spooked by larger stacks nowadays and understands threatening situations like a small stack next to a huge stack fairly well, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were too nervous to land without their AI actually being bad. britain certainly does send stacks around the world in other wars

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

AI's been a coward for the past 3 years or so, at least that's the last time I've been declared on while being outnumbered by less than 2.5 to 1.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ok sure, you really convinced me

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Detheros posted:

AI's been a coward for the past 3 years or so, at least that's the last time I've been declared on while being outnumbered by less than 2.5 to 1.

I don't think thats an AI being cowardly thing, its a AI v Player thing they coded in so new players don't get constantly game-overed by the AI early on. They declare on other AIs with small number advantages all the time, and if you play on Very Hard you will definitely get declared on.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
AI naval invasions are absolutely better in the current patch - you can spend about 5 minutes playing as an Irish OPM with a couple of mainland European allies to know that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Playing as Lübeck. Is the Hanseatic Diets mission bugged? All my trade league members have +100 relation with me but it doesn’t count that requirement met.

The indentation looks messed up which usually means there’s a problem with the trigger but I haven’t dug into the missions file.

1530 and no Commonwealth somehow, too. It’s going to take me forever to pry Danzig away from Poland though.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 26, 2022

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Had a hankering to give EU4 another to, my previous game was a Ryukyu world conquest about 2 years ago. Finally decided to sit down and give Byzantium a try, as I'd never really give in an honest go in EU4.

Its now 1700 and Byzantium's been 4th-5th great power for about 150 years now. I beat the Ottomans with Hungarian help, ended the first war just after the Hungarians got PU'ed by Austria. Allied Austria for the second war, but they'd already been eating Balkan minors so when our borders touched they started hating me. Took me a while to really consolidate, because I was continuously warned by mega-Austria not to to to war. I'd allied slightly less mega-Commonwealth and Spain for protection, but I still haven't completed anything besides the first 3 missions in the tree due to Austria holding parts of Greece/Turkey and Genoa holding Lesbos under the protection of France, Austria and Portugal.

How do you beat enemy alliances 2-4x as strong as your own?

Weird things:
France is only now reclaiming English Normandy.
England is still around because they never captured Scotland to form Great Britain.
Scotland has two neighbouring colonies in North America: Nova Scotia and New Scotland.
Austria didn't bother to join the League war so the HRE is protestant and protestant members are continuously getting dunked on by Catholic Austria.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

nimby posted:

How do you beat enemy alliances 2-4x as strong as your own?

I mean, short of prussian space marines, you don't, you find ways to make them not twice as strong as you. Try to find ways to pick off parts of the alliance, either by attacking a minor ally who won't bring in austria's big friends, or time the attack when said friends are busy and won't defend. Once the war has actually started, find ways to isolate and beat stacks. In the balkans your best bets are either scorched earth mountain forts (unless they've finally changed the AI to actually understand how slow it is to reinforce into them finally) or cheesing an army onto a corfu fort and blockading them forever.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm not sure what the rules for getting warned in Eu4 are, but often the country warning you only seems to care when you declare war against countries of their own religion. So getting warned as Byz, presumably you can push on into Anatolia and the middle east / Egypt to build up the strength you need.

Tbh though sometimes if you end up in a game like that where one of the big powers picks up a lot of momentum and is annoyingly strong, it can be better to just restart, especially as the hard part of Byz is only the first 40 years or so. Austria in particular can be really annoying with this, because between their MT and the HRE events they can get a lot of PUs and free land and get big very quickly.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Didn't one of the dev diaries say that they made the AI better at moving troops across water? That was a lie.

no it isnt

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I'm not sure what the rules for getting warned in Eu4 are, but often the country warning you only seems to care when you declare war against countries of their own religion. So getting warned as Byz, presumably you can push on into Anatolia and the middle east / Egypt to build up the strength you need.

Tbh though sometimes if you end up in a game like that where one of the big powers picks up a lot of momentum and is annoyingly strong, it can be better to just restart, especially as the hard part of Byz is only the first 40 years or so. Austria in particular can be really annoying with this, because between their MT and the HRE events they can get a lot of PUs and free land and get big very quickly.

Yeah, I managed to expand into the Muslim world, but the Timurids and Mamluks were pretty fierce opponents (and I'm quite rusty) so the conquests there weren't extremely fast. At the moment I've got Egypt, Arabia, the horn of Africa and have a snake of coastline to India. I'm poised to wage another crusade against the Timurid and Deccan alliance that controls all of India to make big gains.

Then I can hopefully finally bring the war back to Europe and complete the reconquest of Byzantine Greece and the Balkans.

I didn't want to restart again after seeing a strong Austria in the Balkans before 1500, because I'd already started over so many times to get Byzantium going. I was actually expecting Austria to kick me out of Europe up until the 1550s, and when they hadn't by then I figured I'd just keep the game going.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Red Bones posted:

I'm not sure what the rules for getting warned in Eu4 are, but often the country warning you only seems to care when you declare war against countries of their own religion.

I'm fairly certain it's based on countries that touch both your borders. So if it's 1444 and Lithuania warns you, you can attack Kazan no problem but fighting the Great Horde will bring in Lithuania.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What determines whether an army that lost a battle will flee as far as they can or just casually step into the next province over and then get instantly stack wiped for no reason as they can't move? On their own. The enemy controls no forts in that part of the continent. My territory or occupied enemy territory doesn't seem to matter at all. Apparently sometimes an army just commits collective suicide. :rant:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If there's no friendly territory for them to safely park (e.g. every allied province is occupied or has an enemy army standing on it) I think that's when they only move one province over

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Poil posted:

What determines whether an army that lost a battle will flee as far as they can or just casually step into the next province over and then get instantly stack wiped for no reason as they can't move? On their own. The enemy controls no forts in that part of the continent. My territory or occupied enemy territory doesn't seem to matter at all. Apparently sometimes an army just commits collective suicide. :rant:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Land_warfare

"A unit that has its morale drop below 0.50 is flagged as disorganized, which is indicated by a small flame next to its morale bar on the map and interface. A disorganized army is unable to start moving until its morale has recovered above 0.50. Newly trained regiments at low land unit maintenance will often fall below this threshold.

If an army loses a battle while having low enough morale to be disorganized, they will be forced to retreat to a controlled province (owned, allied in war, or occupied by player or allies). This province can be very far away from where the battle took place. They will prioritize to retreat to a province with high development, a fort, and no adjacent enemies. While retreating, it cannot be engaged in combat or controlled until it reaches the safer province (or in extreme circumstances if it recovers to 100% morale before reaching the destination). The army also moves slightly faster, and will recover morale at a normal rate during the retreat. If there are no available controlled provinces to retreat to within a large range, the army will shattered retreat to one province away. The army can then be immediately re-engaged, often with very low to even no morale, if a monthly tick has not yet completed. This can be devastating as it is very likely to be stack-wiped if re-engaged immediately.

A controlled retreat is manually ordering an army to retreat from battle after the initial fire and shock phases, and while it still has greater than 0.50 average morale. This allows the player to control the destination of the shattered retreat. If the morale of an army is less than 0.50 the player can not control the destination. If multiple armies have converged into a battle, it is possible that some armies will have enough morale for a controlled retreat, while others may not (often the initial stack in the battle)."

If youre fighting in say Italy you want to always manually retreat if you anticipate a loss because the highest weighted retreatable province might be the one next door

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 27, 2022

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Why is there not a way to put your army under AI control similar to the navy?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dick Ripple posted:

Why is there not a way to put your army under AI control similar to the navy?

This is 90% of the reason to make marches. Then it's 5% pretty borders, 5% not having a big sprawling empire making institutions slower and more expensive to embrace.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I feel like I've almost got a Riga run off the ground. Is there any trick to getting Poland to ally you quicker so you can invade the Livonian Order before Muscovy does? Should I even be bothering with that, or just try to use Brandenberg + a heap of minors instead?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Red Bones posted:

This is 90% of the reason to make marches. Then it's 5% pretty borders, 5% not having a big sprawling empire making institutions slower and more expensive to embrace.

Damnit.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Heads up:

If you are a republic you get gov't reform growth bonus based on your republican tradition.

If you are a pirate republic and you pick the tier 4 reform that enables the Clergy estate... you get an estate with estate missions and bonus effects, and you ALSO get gov't reform growth bonus based on your crown land percentage. Which will start out at like 80%.

So you can pass those reforms pretty drat fast and get to War Against the World and the nice juicy stuff that comes after.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Roadie posted:

I feel like I've almost got a Riga run off the ground. Is there any trick to getting Poland to ally you quicker so you can invade the Livonian Order before Muscovy does? Should I even be bothering with that, or just try to use Brandenberg + a heap of minors instead?

scornful insult someone poland hates maybe?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

You can also set yourself as threatened by one of Poland's rivals

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Also marine troops are extra-nice for pirate republics because they use the sailor pool instead of normal manpower and you get a lot of extra sailors from raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

How much has changed in how warfare works between the Emperor expansion and the current state of the game? Either I'm more rusty than I thought, or I'm making incredibly bad choices (definitely a possiblity), but my Byzantium game reached the Revolution era and I can't seem to beat opponents with about equal army size potential. I'm thinking I should have put a bigger focus on raw manpower, to both have a bigger reserve and a higher monthly income of manpower during the war.

I'm attempted to counter 100k stacks with my own stack, a full back line of cannon with 1.5x that much infantry, but drat does that eat a lot of manpower in attrition.

I thought I had a chance at beating Austria, but my attempt failed and I reverted to a backed-up save. Played that for a bit until Austria transformed into Revolutionary Germany. I really don't want to tangle with that scary behemoth....