Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
paradox always ends up breaking the poo poo out of their games by piling on dlc and failing to fix long standing issues. it's least glaring in crusader kings because you just make your own poo poo up and the actual management and map poo poo is less important. stellaris AI has always been pretty bad though and was frequently straight broken by their DLC. Multiplayer (Stellaris or CK) is actually a lot of fun with pals but it's not really practical to devote the time needed to take a game from start to somewhere near the end.

the star trek mod for stellaris was real fuckin good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Their DLC model loving sucks, by fragmenting effort and features into buckets and then mixing them together poorly.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yep. it has hosed up every single one of their games that use that model.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They tried to turn all the DLC into a monthly subscription service for some games. paradox is really just the worst company.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Highfleet isn't really a strategy game or a traditional wargame but it's better than anything I've seen for getting a sense of electronic warfare, intelligence, reconaissance, slinging tactical cruise missiles at radar phantoms and dodging the expected counterattack, and so on. It plays like someone read a bunch of carrier fleet/submarine/missile slinging wargames and tried to capture that vibe. and also blasting the poo poo out of things with artillery in 2d. Neat game.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

Highfleet isn't really a strategy game or a traditional wargame but it's better than anything I've seen for getting a sense of electronic warfare, intelligence, reconaissance, slinging tactical cruise missiles at radar phantoms and dodging the expected counterattack, and so on. It plays like someone read a bunch of carrier fleet/submarine/missile slinging wargames and tried to capture that vibe. and also blasting the poo poo out of things with artillery in 2d. Neat game.

Wish you got loot from air and missile strikes tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay, I got over myself and just started playing EU4. I turned off all the DLCs because I didn't know what they did, and picked Muscovy.

Built up to the land forcelimit, used an existing claim on Novgorod to launch a war and take a bunch of land
manufactured a claim on Tver, and conquered them too
manufactured a claim on Ryazan, and conquered them and some land from the Golden Horde

between all these direct conquests and my vassals, I now have all of the territory needed to do the Form Russia decision, and now it's just a matter of getting to Administrative Tech 10, which is probably still going to be a while before I get there

so in the meantime while waiting for Admin points to pile up I can build castles in all of the mostly undeveloped former-Golden Horde territory, put up cores on all of these territories, and build back up to the new land forcelimit. I guess I could also use the Diplo and Military points to Develop Muscovy-the-province into a big city

it's only 1472 or something so there's a lot of game left to play

I guess it's not nearly as intimidating a game as it looks if you just let go and click-click-clicky on whatever's shiny and don't think about it too hard

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Muscovy is a very fun pick and by far the easiest way to form Russia, yeah.

For some unconcievable reason, their national ideas are built on "massive population" which is a really weird concept for 15th century Muscovy.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
EU4 is a meme boardgame.
Boy that prussian space marines are a thing in 15th century berlin.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Most paradox game are set in a specific historical time period but have no idea of how you get from the way things were to how they end up being. They can make the numbers bigger but nothing so complicated as social and cultural shifts.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Sep 26, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pryor on Fire posted:

They tried to turn all the DLC into a monthly subscription service for some games. paradox is really just the worst company.

I paid for two months of the HOI4 subscription pass. It was enough HOI4 and I think I might have kept it going if I ever found out how to turn off the Spy DLC.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My favorite cynical Paradox DLC is Surviving Mars. It happened like 7 years after the game went into maintenance mode. They just picked up the modder that was still doing stuff and told him to make 1 tile versions of the basic service buildings and I bought that poo poo for $5 dollars because I'm a dummy who wants a security post and medical post in every dome despite no need or mechanical benefit.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

make birth of the federation 2 cowards!!! who cares if you dont have the trek license anymore

from many weeks and pages ago but hell yeah birth of the federation kicks rear end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

going to buy ck3 and all $1000 wroth of dlc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

For those of you that still play civ vI, do you use any mods?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brian Train, co-designer of A Distant Plain and Colonial Twilight is being interviewed on Radio War Nerd

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

going to buy ck3 and all $1000 wroth of dlc

me too

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Achievement runs for EU4 are kind of the only reason I played the game, because they give you tangible goals and generally don't require you to play a full game. Sunset Invasion and A Sun King are both great as you have to play as Aztec/Inca who are given their own minigames in their starting areas to deal with followed by the dread years of first contact with the Europeans and trying not to stall until you can get a decent peace from a war dec.

it makes for a fun game once you get closer to techn parity and start to be able to challenge the Europeans directly

i will say CK3's DLC seems to be getting released a slower pace and seems better thought out, but it's hard to argue that the DLC model is good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Eu4 should probably not run until 1820

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The real problem with DLC is that they need to tear off the bandaid and make a new game sometime.

HoI IV is definitely too old, the engine fork they use is ancient. Also a bunch of new systems they added should probably be reworked so they fit together better, and focus trees too.

But it's just not going to happen because of all the work that went into it already, so instead they take the halfway step of putting out another expansion pack making the mess even bigger.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When paradox did actual expansion packs those would meaningfully revamp core systems of the game

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

The real problem with DLC is that they need to tear off the bandaid and make a new game sometime.

HoI IV is definitely too old, the engine fork they use is ancient. Also a bunch of new systems they added should probably be reworked so they fit together better, and focus trees too.

But it's just not going to happen because of all the work that went into it already, so instead they take the halfway step of putting out another expansion pack making the mess even bigger.

Cities Skylines is another big example of they just need to release a 2 already

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

no one plays until the end date anyways

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

For those of you that still play civ vI, do you use any mods?

Just the one that makes it look like Civ V

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's only 1472 or something so there's a lot of game left to play

I guess it's not nearly as intimidating a game as it looks if you just let go and click-click-clicky on whatever's shiny and don't think about it too hard

this is usually how the early game goes for most medium/large nations - you clear out your neighborhood and unite the region etc before running into other big countries that have done the same and have a roughly equal or larger army to you. russia eventually runs into trouble with poland and/or the ottomans wanting your land and they can get real big left unchecked

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

no one remembers March of the Eagles but it makes a while lot of sense to have a game centered around the Atlantic revolutions and Napoleonic wars as their own thing. Have it start at 1787 so players can take the US down alternate routes with the Constitutional Convention.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also as everyone's pointed out earlier, most games just peeter out because you can usually become a powerhouse well before the game ends, strategy games should be shorter and more focused like Old World

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Most paradox game are set in a specific historical time period but have no idea of how you get from the way things were to how they end up being. They can make the numbers bigger but nothing so complicated as social and cultural shifts.

I liked the way the Reformation eventually mixes things up in EU.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Paradox needs to make a bronze age and a neolithic age strategy game. I found a mod once that let me wind the clock back to ancient Rome, but I want more

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there are bronze age mods for imperator and ck3. i think the crusader kings one hasn't been updated in a while though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

there are bronze age mods for imperator and ck3. i think the crusader kings one hasn't been updated in a while though.

:eyepop:
oh wow I didn't know they already made a Rome game. I guess I'll have to check that out. it's a few years old too so it should be nearly finished

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
oh wow I didn't know they already made a Rome game. I guess I'll have to check that out. it's a few years old too so it should be nearly finished

It was abandoned for being aggressively mediocre (at best).

Edit: Like, I don't think it even got any DLC (after launch), which for a Pdox game is saying quite a bit.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is that the game that no one liked and Johan took it personally and won't make any more games himself now?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I played Imperator once because it was on gamepass and it was fine. Pretty much a map painter like every other Paradox game, but you probably won't be able to paint the whole map because of the time limit.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

imperator was very polarizing because some people really, really loved it. i never played it though. maybe it sucks.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

Paradox needs to make a bronze age and a neolithic age strategy game. I found a mod once that let me wind the clock back to ancient Rome, but I want more

Troy total war is fine nowadays.

Not sure what would be remotely interesting in a paradox bronze age game though. It would be Europa universalis without anything interesting?

You'd need to spend four years before the boat dlc comes out too.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Presumably it'd be like some of those CK mods where you can make god-tier characters.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Cities Skylines is another victim of this, the DLC feature bloat is getting pretty extreme and all the new systems are just kind of bolted on to the base game, each one more poorly integrated than the last; trying to play with all of them is a total mess. They should have bit the bullet and moved some of this poo poo over to a sequel, but instead Paradox just has them continuously cramming more poo poo into a game that's already straining under the added weight

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

also as everyone's pointed out earlier, most games just peeter out because you can usually become a powerhouse well before the game ends, strategy games should be shorter and more focused like Old World

Against The Storm is a Banished-like that's pretty tightly focused and small scaled. It does the rougelike thing of presenting you buildings one decision at a time. Pace of the game is good, enough time to build one good economic engine or half an engine and a gimmick. Very Slay The Spire but Endzone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i would really like to see research changed in hoi4
like, the research should be done by design companies rather than them fuctioning as just some bonuses
all the different research options competing for the same slots just feels very gamey (focus trees also have this problem)
it would allow a lot more to be done the research since it would just have to be balanced by category, you could add smaller things like uniforms in Rt56 and not have to chose between that and a new fighter
you could also model the starting situations a lot better than just having different amounts of slots and unlocked techs, like a country could start with competetive tanks but a less advanced tank designer so they will fall behind unless large investments are made
it would also limit cheese like rushing sub4s

Mans posted:

no one plays until the end date anyways

wrong
even went into the game files and changed the end date to finish a war againt britain over the control over the great plains as japan