Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wayne Knight posted:

How was dealing with Burien Chevrolet? We were just on the lot recently looking at the Bolt EUVs. We may have actually pulled the trigger had they had one that wasn't marked as sold. That's a good red.

Not great, not terrible, they didn't pull any high pressure sales stuff or anything, kinda a weird dealership, they specialize in trucks and Bolts, like specifically. Not a hassle to haggle with. They gave me a very "gently caress off we don't want it" trade in offer for my Leaf, like 60% of blue book.

Specifically annoying is they install a lovely aftermarket immobilizer on all their cars then charge for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did Burien Chrevrolet used to be "Glen Grant Chevrolet (in Burien)" because I have his commercials sort of burned into my brain from getting a lot of Seattle area tv :haw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It looks like probably? I remember those commercials growing up. If so, they've fallen on hard times, it is definitely the smallest, shittiest (in terms of physical appearance, not service) new-car dealer I've ever been to.

Something kinda cool they did, they were out of the standard L1 chargers that are supposed to come with the car (they're also earmarked per vehicle, they accidentally sold the one 'belonging' to my car) so they gave me a used one and ordered a new one, that they're also going to give me for free, despite me saying I have an L2 charger at home and I literally don't care.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I mean it's already good to go if you have a late 2020 production Tesla or later, I don't think there's any sense to keep people waiting around for the older cars to get CCS support if the new ones can already use the adapter.

I wonder if Tesla is planning on giving up on the Tesla adapter now. I had assumed their intransigence about CCS support was due to wanting an excuse to keep the supercharger network exclusive to teslas, but now that they're opening up it makes little sense to keep going with the design that's been adopted by no other manufacturer.

I figure the whole "let's sell a CCS adapter" thing might just be an excuse to get people to pay for the cost of the upgrade now rather than waiting a few years and changing the network to use CCS adapters and being forced to do that upgrade for existing owners at cost. I'll probably be holding off on the retrofit until it's clear what Tesla's policy here is going to be.

Tesla should have really pushed to make their connector the standard in North America, their connector is so much better than CCS in basically every way. They should have made it free to use with no major restrictions other than some quality control inspections/certification and requiring that it at least be no more complicated to activate/use than a pay-at-the-pump gas station.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Tesla should have really pushed to make their connector the standard in North America, their connector is so much better than CCS in basically every way. They should have made it free to use with no major restrictions other than some quality control inspections/certification and requiring that it at least be no more complicated to activate/use than a pay-at-the-pump gas station.

It does have the best form factor, but I think I have read that it can't be used with 800V systems, so it's not usable for future EVs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I saw one od those new Amazon Rivian vans the other day, they're pretty cool.

I also had this ugly thing follow me home.

2022 2LT, red.

It's perfect
-the new style seats are awesome 3 level heat, adjustable lumbar support
-the pedal box is HUGE and accommodates my size 14 feet well (my #2 complaint with the Leaf)
-adaptive cruise control is AWESOME, really well implemented, brakes nice and smooth, and and has big, adjustable following distance, I used it in Seattle traffic from 0-70MPH and it was flawless
-lane keep assist is stupid and pointless, as expected.
-the obligatory giant rear end infotainment screen is really nicely into the interior.
-the interior is and feels cheap, actually a little worse than the Leaf, but w/e.
-0-60 time is much faster then the Leaf.
-steering is kinda mushy and flat vs the Leaf too.

I reserved this in March, but GM's stacked a $6k of rebates on to ease the pain of this vs a 23, so it came out to about $30k flat before TTL, which is a great deal for this much car IMO.

So now my GF gets to drive this every day while I keep commuting in my Leaf until her ID.4 comes in Novemberish.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for this post as I’m waiting for my drat 2023 2LT to arrive (it’s been built but the wait for it actually to ship is the longest part) - all other Bolt related forums talk about how the seats are XYZ compared to other cars but never talk about direct positives, so it’s nice to know that i can look forward to them being decent. Sounds like I can actually look forward to adaptive cruise as well.

Great color!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

I see the "CCS Adapter Retrofit" option appeared in the service menu on my app as well (though it says appointments won't be available till early 2023 which my default reaction to is to assume it is about as credible as Full Self Driving/robotaxis being production ready in 2019.) My Model 3 does not currently have the required control module for CCS support otherwise I would consider adding the adapter to my stash of charging supplies I keep in it.

I'm going to forget about this, so when one of you gets the retrofit please be sure to post about it. It will remind me to schedule an appointment.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Elviscat posted:

I saw one od those new Amazon Rivian vans the other day, they're pretty cool.

I also had this ugly thing follow me home.

2022 2LT, red.

It's perfect
-the new style seats are awesome 3 level heat, adjustable lumbar support
-the pedal box is HUGE and accommodates my size 14 feet well (my #2 complaint with the Leaf)
-adaptive cruise control is AWESOME, really well implemented, brakes nice and smooth, and and has big, adjustable following distance, I used it in Seattle traffic from 0-70MPH and it was flawless
-lane keep assist is stupid and pointless, as expected.
-the obligatory giant rear end infotainment screen is really nicely into the interior.
-the interior is and feels cheap, actually a little worse than the Leaf, but w/e.
-0-60 time is much faster then the Leaf.
-steering is kinda mushy and flat vs the Leaf too.

I reserved this in March, but GM's stacked a $6k of rebates on to ease the pain of this vs a 23, so it came out to about $30k flat before TTL, which is a great deal for this much car IMO.

So now my GF gets to drive this every day while I keep commuting in my Leaf until her ID.4 comes in Novemberish.

Congrats! I just purchased a 2022 EUV that I'm picking up Wednesday, I'm pretty pumped. Got lucky and found one sitting on a lot not too far from my place. I'm a little jealous of your 2LT though, mine is a fully loaded LT, so I'm missing the ACC and extra camera functions. ACC seems like a really nice feature to have, but oh well, I've never had it before so how much can I really miss it.

My old ICE car is having problems so I'm just glad I was able to track an EV in my price range down on relatively short notice. 30K after taxes with rebates and Colorado's credit too, can't be too mad about that...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Facing a problem where my Kona EV occasionally refuses to connect to any phone via Bluetooth and you’ll have to turn off the car for, like, ten minutes and turn it back on to get CarPlay working again. If you turn it on sooner the car’s computer won’t have powered off because it stays in sleep mode for a while.

It seems like the problem is the car computer and I wish there was a way to just press restart like with literally any other electronic device. We’ve been in absurd situations where we’ve had to sit in a parking lot in 90 degree weather for ten minutes, just waiting for the computer to turn off.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Facing a problem where my Kona EV occasionally refuses to connect to any phone via Bluetooth and you’ll have to turn off the car for, like, ten minutes and turn it back on to get CarPlay working again. If you turn it on sooner the car’s computer won’t have powered off because it stays in sleep mode for a while.

It seems like the problem is the car computer and I wish there was a way to just press restart like with literally any other electronic device. We’ve been in absurd situations where we’ve had to sit in a parking lot in 90 degree weather for ten minutes, just waiting for the computer to turn off.

Have you tried unhooking the 12v battery for 10-15 minutes and hooking it back up again? Apparently this is a common solution to that problem with the Bolt.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Have you tried unhooking the 12v battery for 10-15 minutes and hooking it back up again? Apparently this is a common solution to that problem with the Bolt.
He said waiting 10-15 minutes in a hot humid parking lot is not something they want to continue doing.

Teslas have a plug under the right side back seat you can pull out and then disconnect the 12v battery to completely disable the whole vehicle (do not shut the doors/windows or you will have to "jump" it to get it open/running again). Although if a Tesla was having an issue requiring a computer reboot either you could just hold down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 5 seconds to force the MCU to reboot, or you can power off the whole vehicle from the menu. Perhaps the Kona has some similar method of shutting down/disabling the 12v systems for service, the question is if it is as accessible.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

He said waiting 10-15 minutes in a hot humid parking lot is not something they want to continue doing.

Teslas have a plug under the right side back seat you can pull out and then disconnect the 12v battery to completely disable the whole vehicle (do not shut the doors/windows or you will have to "jump" it to get it open/running again). Although if a Tesla was having an issue requiring a computer reboot either you could just hold down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 5 seconds to force the MCU to reboot, or you can power off the whole vehicle from the menu. Perhaps the Kona has some similar method of shutting down/disabling the 12v systems for service, the question is if it is as accessible.

Maybe you can pull the fuse for the infotainment?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
EV thread mk 3 - Have you tried turning it off and on again

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
EV Thread v3.1.2 - My Car Has an IT Guy

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

“I’m a CJ. No, car janitor.”

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

FilthyImp posted:

EV Thread v3.1.2 - My IT guy has a car

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Great to be driving an EV that isn’t an Elonmobile. Ford has a winner on their hands, and I may not keep my X.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

drat that's a nice looking truck. I like it more than the Rivian.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine it would be quite a bit safer to drive if it didn't have the windshield blacked out in at least three places.

Still better than a Tesla of course.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
EA is moving from labeling chargers 150kw or 350kw to instead use "hyper" and "ultra". https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3pbjx/electrify-america-just-made-electric-vehicle-charging-a-lot-more-confusing Which one is hyper, and which one ultra? I just read the article and already forgot, good luck. I'm assuming it's brought to us by the same people that named USB Hispeed and Superspeed.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Words are less scary than numbers. This is good for adoption.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

borkencode posted:

EA is moving from labeling chargers 150kw or 350kw to instead use "hyper" and "ultra". https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3pbjx/electrify-america-just-made-electric-vehicle-charging-a-lot-more-confusing Which one is hyper, and which one ultra? I just read the article and already forgot, good luck. I'm assuming it's brought to us by the same people that named USB Hispeed and Superspeed.

With USB 'Full Speed' is the slowest one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m just gonna use whichever because my car only does 150kW anyway. Suck it, 800 volt-ailures.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for this post as I’m waiting for my drat 2023 2LT to arrive (it’s been built but the wait for it actually to ship is the longest part) - all other Bolt related forums talk about how the seats are XYZ compared to other cars but never talk about direct positives, so it’s nice to know that i can look forward to them being decent. Sounds like I can actually look forward to adaptive cruise as well.

Great color!

Sounds good! To amend my previous statement, looks like ACC is a $400 feature on the 2LT package, also the wireless phone charging and Bose sound system comes with a $700 infotainment bundle. So mine is actually a 2LT with all the boxes clicked.

Either way, totally awesome little car.

hobbez posted:

Congrats! I just purchased a 2022 EUV that I'm picking up Wednesday, I'm pretty pumped. Got lucky and found one sitting on a lot not too far from my place. I'm a little jealous of your 2LT though, mine is a fully loaded LT, so I'm missing the ACC and extra camera functions. ACC seems like a really nice feature to have, but oh well, I've never had it before so how much can I really miss it.

IIRC from driving this car 6 months ago, I think I picked it because it had the ACC option, which is gonna revolutionize my 50 mile each way commute to work, or maybe I thought the red was pretty, I don't remember driving it really, so all the options are a fun new surprise!

The "used L1 charger" they gave me that I mentioned is actually 2 chargers, one official GM one, listed at 12A 120V, and a cheapo one that's kinda gross that lists itself as 16A 100-240V.

so anyone need an L1 charger for free + the cost of shipping? I'll ship you this cheap one, if the dealer doesn't want the used OE GM one I'll give that one away at a later date.

I can deliver for free in the greater Seattle area as well. In fact I much prefer that option

Looks like you could slap a new plug on the El cheapo one and have a 16A L2 charger that works with your drier plug or w/e, I make no warranties on these not burning your house down tho.

PM me or post here if you're interested!

E: I have a cheap off brand L2 charger I've been using for the Leaf for a few years, and the Bolt HATES it, took quite a bit of wiggling for it to start charging. The Bolt seems pickier about J1772s in general than the Leaf does, dunno why, though recently the Leaf's been giving me poo poo about that plug. Probably time for a replacement, maybe a data pin's all wallerd out and not making good contact?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 26, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

I imagine it would be quite a bit safer to drive if it didn't have the windshield blacked out in at least three places.

Still better than a Tesla of course.

Perhaps he could put stickers proclaiming his love for Fig Newtons there.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
My 5 year chargepoint charger now is having trouble starting charging. I think the conductors inside the cables have broken, iphone charger style.
I can hold the cable in the right position and it will start, then keep charging afterwards.

Anyone know if i can buy a new handle that is field installable? It seems that the one there is all moulded on. It might be screwed on from the inside, but I don't see a way to get it off.

The replacement seems to cost $250 which is pretty pricey.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Snow is falling in the mountains so I'm getting the winter tyres back on. Just got a call from the garage, new front tyres needed, 940 CHF mounted for 2x Pirelli PZero Winter Elect 245/45 R20. Ouch.

Kinda strange the fronts are worn out before the rears.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I paid about 400 a pop for PS4s mounted and balanced on the E39. I'm sure I could have shopped around and gotten them a little bit cheaper somewhere else, but tires are just expensive now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just got another letter saying I should schedule a service appointment for the Bolt, for a software update that "will further refine your 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV's vehicle diagnostic performance and will address potential charger connection issues some customers have experienced".

Ugh.

I hate cars.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

cruft posted:

Just got another letter saying I should schedule a service appointment for the Bolt, for a software update that "will further refine your 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV's vehicle diagnostic performance and will address potential charger connection issues some customers have experienced".

Ugh.

I hate cars.

I'm incredibly trigger shy on software updates on my phone. That's even more so w/ my car. If it ain't broke don't fix it am I rite?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm incredibly trigger shy on software updates on my phone. That's even more so w/ my car. If it ain't broke don't fix it am I rite?

Well, thanks for helping me stay employed as a cybersecurity responder, I guess.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

cruft posted:

Ugh.

I hate cars.

Mine is also getting a software update for the entertainment computer, apparently adding Android Auto amongst other things. This is a multi day process.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Indiana_Krom posted:

I'd think there's a reason literally everybody else uses separate pins for AC and DC charge current. The IEC type 2 connector used in Europe does allow using two of the pins for DC instead of AC, but only Tesla actually implements that, everyone else went with CCS. Since the Tesla connector uses the same two pins for both DC and AC, it relies on the car having a pair of very high current relays to connect to either the onboard AC charger or directly to the battery, and I can definitely see why that isn't very popular; cost and complexity just for one thing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cruft posted:

Well, thanks for helping me stay employed as a cybersecurity responder, I guess.

I'm a network architect and I just slowly shook my head at that post.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Kirios posted:

I'm a network architect and I just slowly shook my head at that post.

Consumer electronics updates often contain updated EULAs, with language that most consumers cannot interpret correctly, often further curtailing the control customers have over their data. I'm not surprised consumers are balking at updating their electronics. As a network architect, you probably have a legal department to read contracts for you so you don't accidentally give Cisco full access to your company's intellectual property by installing an update to network hardware; consumers do not have that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pun pundit posted:

Consumer electronics updates often contain updated EULAs, with language that most consumers cannot interpret correctly, often further curtailing the control customers have over their data. I'm not surprised consumers are balking at updating their electronics. As a network architect, you probably have a legal department to read contracts for you so you don't accidentally give Cisco full access to your company's intellectual property by installing an update to network hardware; consumers do not have that.

lol what? There’s no way F5 or anyone else is sending OTA updates that can meaningfully affect data ownership in any way, consumer grade or not.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

As the principal network architect for the largest network architecture firm in the world I say: shut up nerds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm a freak who habitually updates to the newest release of anything including (stable) betas. I just love updates!!!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

As the principal network architect for the largest network architecture firm in the world I say: shut up nerds.

As the head big cheese network architect for the biggest network in the universe I say: ur face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is Teslas interior camera good enough that they could monitor attentiveness as well as Ford does and they don’t in favor of the dumb wheel torque thing for some reason? Does the interior see into infrared enough that it can see through sunglasses like the Ford does?

I did my work commute today in the tesla for the first time in months and it reminded me that Autopilot kicks the poo poo out of Bluecruise with the exception of having to keep a hand on the wheel.

e: looks like the tesla camera doesn’t do infrared so not likely to be able to be relied on. Seems dumb.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 26, 2022