Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My lotion is made with sake it smells like sake and reduces acne and redness
https://www.kikumasamune.shop/c/cosmeandbath/nihonsyukesyouhin/nkl45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The sake bath at the station isn't really worth a trip up there.

But if you like skiing/boarding, sake, and onsen then it's :discourse:

Go between late December and mid February for the best experience. That's when the snow is coming down and when that season's fresh sakes are released out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And you can lick yourself and get drunk!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any idea when the flights will come back? I just did a search and my normal return flight is gone. In fact, I can't find anything from KIX back to the US.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Probably not until a couple months after reopening. The airlines actually cancelled a bunch of flights during the summer due to staffing issues so I don't see them adding a bunch of new flights any time soon.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Has anyone rented a car as a foreigner? I'm assuming in typical Japanese fashion it will be incredibly complicated and probably not worthwhile but I'd love to be wrong.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's basically just like renting a car in any other country except you need an international driving permit.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

field balm posted:

I'd love to be wrong.

You're gonna love a lot of things you experience then.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

It's basically just like renting a car in any other country except you need an international driving permit.

Cool, I've never driven outside of Australia so I didn't even know about the idp. Doesn't seem too hard tbh!

Gabriel Grub posted:

You're gonna love a lot of things you experience then.

Not sure if this was a joke or an attempted own but yeah im dumb as poo poo

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 25, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Any idea when the flights will come back? I just did a search and my normal return flight is gone. In fact, I can't find anything from KIX back to the US.

KIX hasn't had regular flights to/from North America in two years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

KIX hasn't had regular flights to/from North America in two years.

That's gotta change soon. IIRC, Kyoto is the main tourist destination in Japan.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ANA said on friday they want to get back to 90% of prepandemic flights for north america after october 30. I assume part of that will be serving airports like KIX that were just endless canceled flight city

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

field balm posted:

Cool, I've never driven outside of Australia so I didn't even know about the idp. Doesn't seem too hard tbh!

pro tip: don't rent a car in tokyo or w/e. take the train outside the city and rent from there. also, avoid the tomei (東名) highway like the plague.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Stringent posted:

pro tip: don't rent a car in tokyo or w/e. take the train outside the city and rent from there. also, avoid the tomei (東名) highway like the plague.

Yeah that makes sense, i dont really want to drive through Tokyo anyway! My partner and I are considering driving down the northern coast of Honshu over several days, check out some smaller cites/towns and see some places we haven't seen on our other trips. Just spitballing at the moment!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Highways in Tokyo are exhausting.The on ramps suddenly appear along normal streets. I've done enough driving in central Tokyo and the difficulty isn't just the volume of pedestrians, it's the braiding of lanes, underpasses, bridges and tunnels.

Driving across Shimanami Kaido is dreamy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Driving in the city streets in Tokyo is mostly fine, the major surface streets aren’t a problem. Peanut is right, the absolutely mixed-up nature of entering and leaving the shutoku makes it really tricky. And driving on the shutoku itself isn’t exactly fun either.

Got stuck on the Tomei coming back from Fuji a couple weekends ago. It’s not much fun. But once you’re properly outside the city it calms down.

If you rent a car make sure to get the ETC card from the rental service, that’s digital payment of highway tolls and makes things a lot easier.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

every time i go i think about renting a car this time, but i never end up doing it. driving even in small cities, on the left, reading signs at speed, dealing with unfamiliar rules like turning on red, just seems like a pain. i would like to drive longer stretches in the countryside like hokkaido but i'd probably just rent a car on the outskirts of sapporo and leave the city by the fastest and easiest route

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

peanut posted:

Driving across Shimanami Kaido is dreamy.

that seems like a pretty good endgame

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I don't think you can turn on red.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

do not turn on red in japan, it is illegal

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You can't even turn on green. Can only turn on 青

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I don't think you can turn on red.

oh really? i often see people do it so i assumed it was some kind of rule, in my own country we don't do it. or is it like a thing where you can do it at specific intersections or something maybe?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

oh really? i often see people do it so i assumed it was some kind of rule, in my own country we don't do it. or is it like a thing where you can do it at specific intersections or something maybe?

Maybe you’ve seen people turning into intersections and across crosswalks when pedestrians have a green? In those cases, the cars actually have a green too but are required to give way to crossing pedestrians.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

if you mean the ppl running reds on lefts it's extremely illegal.

they really need to set the intersection cameras up to automatically ticket that poo poo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Maybe you’ve seen people turning into intersections and across crosswalks when pedestrians have a green? In those cases, the cars actually have a green too but are required to give way to crossing pedestrians.

This, and the occasional “using the space between your red light and the other direction’s green” to make your turn across traffic. Used to pull that move all the time in the inaka.

Driving on the other side just takes a couple hours to get used to, you’re still in the car close to the center line so it’s fine. Tougher is remembering where your indicator is, I used to turn on the windshield wipers instead all the time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

every time i go i think about renting a car this time, but i never end up doing it. driving even in small cities, on the left, reading signs at speed, dealing with unfamiliar rules like turning on red, just seems like a pain. i would like to drive longer stretches in the countryside like hokkaido but i'd probably just rent a car on the outskirts of sapporo and leave the city by the fastest and easiest route

This is me whenever I think about doing a motorcycle tour of Okinawa. It's still a goal for me, but I think I'm going to have to work my way up to it. Doing all the additional mental calculations at speed just puts my back up thinking about it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DiscoJ posted:

oh right that's probably what i saw, i usually only notice it when i'm trying to cross a road on foot, that would still confuse me though if i was driving

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

This, and the occasional “using the space between your red light and the other direction’s green” to make your turn across traffic. Used to pull that move all the time in the inaka.

Driving on the other side just takes a couple hours to get used to, you’re still in the car close to the center line so it’s fine. Tougher is remembering where your indicator is, I used to turn on the windshield wipers instead all the time.

yeah i've driven on the left a few times in the UK, it's mostly weird because not everything is flipped, the pedals are still in the same order but the gear stick is on the other side, on its own it doesn't dissuade me but combined with the other stuff i'd have to deal with i'd think twice about driving in any city in japan unless i know the way really well. that's just me though, and i'm a crap driver

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i've driven on the left a few times in the UK, it's mostly weird because not everything is flipped, the pedals are still in the same order but the gear stick is on the other side, on its own it doesn't dissuade me but combined with the other stuff i'd have to deal with i'd think twice about driving in any city in japan unless i know the way really well. that's just me though, and i'm a crap driver

You probably wouldn’t get a manual car in Japan, and navigation systems are very thorough in telling you where to go and turn. I wouldn’t be too afraid. Plus the speed limits are plenty low.

Just stay off the shutoku in Tokyo. That’s definitely hard mode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

do not turn on red in japan, it is illegal

Legal right on red is a uniquely American affectation.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Grand Fromage posted:

I only recommend staying in Osaka since it's the center of the metro area. Also it's the best city in Japan. Seeing Kyoto while it's not ultracrowded is definitely not something I'd skip if you can do it. Nara too, though it's nowhere near as bad as Kyoto.

Maybe I just didn’t do the right stuff when I went but I really didn’t like Osaka near as much as Tokyo or Kyoto. It just seemed like a big industrial city. Hopefully I can try it again soon!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Midjack posted:

Legal right on red is a uniquely American affectation.

North American, let's say.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

This is me whenever I think about doing a motorcycle tour of Okinawa. It's still a goal for me, but I think I'm going to have to work my way up to it. Doing all the additional mental calculations at speed just puts my back up thinking about it.
Okinawa is super easy to drive in, you'll be fine I reckon.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

harperdc posted:

You probably wouldn’t get a manual car in Japan, and navigation systems are very thorough in telling you where to go and turn. I wouldn’t be too afraid. Plus the speed limits are plenty low.

Just stay off the shutoku in Tokyo. That’s definitely hard mode.

I drove all the central Tokyo highways plus the Rainbrow Bridge in an Alphard (8 passenger luxury van) during the Olympics and it was not a sushine day x________x God bless navi-chan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh the London taxi drivers that were hired en masse to drive for some countries lolled at how easy it was compared to their normal assignments.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i wonder what it was like being a taxi driver in tokyo before google maps was a thing, and when "turn right after the third family mart you see" was the best directions you could get or give

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They had those big map books they could look at back at the office, but mostly they just asked you to give them directions, which they still do.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mons Hubris posted:

Maybe I just didn’t do the right stuff when I went but I really didn’t like Osaka near as much as Tokyo or Kyoto. It just seemed like a big industrial city. Hopefully I can try it again soon!

Osaka is about the food and people, not the tourist attractions.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i wonder what it was like being a taxi driver in tokyo before google maps was a thing, and when "turn right after the third family mart you see" was the best directions you could get or give

Wasn't that like 90% of the purpose of the neighborhood police box? Or was that just a myth - I usually relied on giving semi-incoherent directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the covered korean neighborhood arcades near tsuruhashi were my favorite thing to see in osaka, i also like the aquarium