Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

broke: quicksaves
woke: console commands

I made up a little script to quicksave via console commands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh yeah well i superglued my foot to my oven door

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The truest option: making tape crosshairs on your monitor

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

deep dish peat moss posted:

The truest option: making tape crosshairs on your monitor

My monitor has a setting to enable this and it is complete garbage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's really frustrating when games implement swingy matchmaking though, for sure. It's like there are two ways to get a 50/50 win/loss ratio and they pick the one that follows lopsided matches on your side with lopsided matches on the other side because it's easy.

despite all the tinfoil hat whining by lol/overwatch players who are just sure that every loss is some kind of conspiracy against them by the matchmaker, no game dev has ever implemented this stupid nonsensical algorithm where it gives intentionally unbalanced matches you're "supposed to lose/win"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/IFeelFineGame/status/1574241167155539968
here

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When League first came out (like, back in beta) Riot told people that matchmaking was designed to "keep everyone at a 50% winrate" or something like that, which started those rumors. But it was just poorly worded and what they meant was it's designed to create matches where each team has an estimated 50% chance to win (which they now say in the faq that i just looked up: https://support-leagueoflegends.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752954-Matchmaking-and-Autofill ). People just got all conspiratorial about the wording

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

despite all the tinfoil hat whining by lol/overwatch players who are just sure that every loss is some kind of conspiracy against them by the matchmaker, no game dev has ever implemented this stupid nonsensical algorithm where it gives intentionally unbalanced matches you're "supposed to lose/win"

they have

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't see how a weighted matchmaker would even work for team based games, but it's a thing in some 1v1 games.

Blood Bowl 2 is notorious for it, and it has the opposite of its intended effect since certain matchups favor the underdog.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
omega strikers................

is good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don’t play lol or overwatch but this is a pretty typical experience with SBMM in CoD so if that isn’t literally how the matchmaking is implemented the result is the same

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Look at this janky rear end poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymbQwwzZgI

I need it now!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

broke: quicksaves
woke: console commands

bespoke: hex editing

I'll be honest, I am fully in favour of games not having quick save if they have:

-Metaprogression and short playtimes;
-Good stealth games because otherwise people will reload the fun out of the game every time they're found by an enemy;
-Horror games because that just kills the tension;
-Constant autosaves and you just roll with it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was a really good interview on gamasutra with the Alien Isolation devs on how they considered the save system as part of the game design iirc, that's one that had specific save points which works really well in horror games

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There was a really good interview on gamasutra with the Alien Isolation devs on how they considered the save system as part of the game design iirc, that's one that had specific save points which works really well in horror games

It worked well for me until a crash and I lost progress. Just speaking for myself, but losing progress and having to replay anything more than a minute or two is one of the few things that will make me drop a game immediately. Like, Fallout 4's survival mode -- no quicksaves in a Bethesda product, are you out of your loving mind?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Eason the Fifth posted:

It worked well for me until a crash and I lost progress. Just speaking for myself, but losing progress and having to replay anything more than a minute or two is one of the few things that will make me drop a game immediately. Like, Fallout 4's survival mode -- no quicksaves in a Bethesda product, are you out of your loving mind?

Especially in Fallout 4 where the physics for abandoned vehicles are partially programmed through black magic so they carry a surprisingly high chance of killing you instantly for simply brushing up against them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nova Drift just got another big update, with a Draft mode where you start at wave 120 / level 35, new bosses in the Nemesis challenge mode, reworked mine & drone mods, and all sorts of other new stuff.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Ending soon on fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/best-of-vr-build-your-own-bundle
3 for $15/4 for $19/5 for $22/10 for $40
Build your own VR bundle
8 hours

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/star-wars-collection
Star Wars Collection/$22/48 hours

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-strategy-bundle-3
Pick and mix strategy bundle/ 3 for $5/5 for $8/7 for $10
1 day and 8 hours

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/diamond-collection-build-your-own

Diamond collection
3 for $15/4 for $19/5 for $22
3 days and eight hours

On humble bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/tinybuild-x-versus-evil-smashup?partner=nintendeal

Tiny build vs evil bundle for $12
Two days two hours

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/total-war-classics-bundle?partner=nintendeal

Total war Classics for $12
Three days nineteen hours

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/starlight-childrens-foundation-bundle?partner=nintendeal

Starlight children bundle for $10
4 days two hours

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Eason the Fifth posted:

losing progress and having to replay anything more than a minute or two is one of the few things that will make me drop a game immediately.

This was what debuffed the game from an 8/10 to a 7/10 for me. I loved the art style, sound design, and general ambiance, but I got hard-rear end stuck on the very first combat encounters in the game (the one with the four humans coming through the door behind you, and that long-rear end sneaking poo poo with the goddamn Working Joes). I probably spent 2+ hours to finish 25 minutes of content, and that experience alone frustrated me so loving much that I shifted from slowly taking in the atmosphere to rushing through it as quickly as possible, because 2-3 blind suicide runs through each new area were often much faster than trying to do it skillfully.

I enjoyed a lot of it but in retrospect I should've stopped playing after the Infirmary, because the game peaked in that sequence.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was indoctrinated by the Sega Genesis's Shadowrun's cheat code of a.b.b.A.C.A.B.

Lone Star can suck an egg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

This was what debuffed the game from an 8/10 to a 7/10 for me. I loved the art style, sound design, and general ambiance, but I got hard-rear end stuck on the very first combat encounters in the game (the one with the four humans coming through the door behind you, and that long-rear end sneaking poo poo with the goddamn Working Joes). I probably spent 2+ hours to finish 25 minutes of content, and that experience alone frustrated me so loving much that I shifted from slowly taking in the atmosphere to rushing through it as quickly as possible, because 2-3 blind suicide runs through each new area were often much faster than trying to do it skillfully.

I enjoyed a lot of it but in retrospect I should've stopped playing after the Infirmary, because the game peaked in that sequence.

i appreciate your good description of exactly what about the game rubbed you the wrong way and all but please don't describe it as it having "debuffed" your rating of the game, thank you

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yea it should be "leveled down", debuffs are temporary

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it really nerfed my yum

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yea it should be "leveled down", debuffs are temporary

Level drained

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Imagine if you were going to go on a really hot date but then you got level drained by a mummy or some poo poo and when you showed up your date just laughs at you ☹️

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

imagine if you were going to go on a really hot date and your date turned out to be super attractive and cool and really liked you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

imagine if you were going to go on a really hot date and your date turned out to be super attractive and cool and really liked you

This happens every time I buff up before a date :confused:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

what is this easy mode poo poo, i only play hardcore games for hardcore gamers
give me a dinner reservation with someone who wants to murder me with a rock

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i don't think this is mutually exclusive with what i said

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You get this but you have to suffer through 38 years of loving and fulfilling marriage before they bash your brains all over the davenport

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And the reservation is at a rock quarry.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao if you don't respec for every date to maximise your date per second.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
loving hipster restaurants

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

lmao if you don't respec for every date to maximise your date per second.

I do some niche stuff at awful dates done quick

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wanna say one of the Gears of War games was confirmed back in the day to try and give players favorable matchups for their first couple of online games ever, so they didn't immediately get stomped into the dirt and run away screaming, but I can't find the tweet where that was talked about so...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the thing to consider with any algorithmic matchmaking is at the end of the day it's based on metrics determined by a bunch of coders crunching a bunch of data that may, or may not, actually have any actual bearing on how good someone is at a videogame

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Kins posted:

I wanna say one of the Gears of War games was confirmed back in the day to try and give players favorable matchups for their first couple of online games ever, so they didn't immediately get stomped into the dirt and run away screaming, but I can't find the tweet where that was talked about so...

Starwars Battlefront 2 nefariously had designated "Marquee Players" in each match - specifically players with a lot of mtx cosmetics - and matched them against players of vastly lower skill levels. The thought process, as explained by DICE in internal documents, was that those players would show up on so many killcams touting all their cosmetics that the new players would go "whoa I wanna look like them" and spend money

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is that also the one where players could be randomly assigned darth vader or luke skywalker and just loving steamroll (or maybe just immediately eat poo poo because it wasn't that good?)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cowcaster posted:

is that also the one where players could be randomly assigned darth vader or luke skywalker and just loving steamroll (or maybe just immediately eat poo poo because it wasn't that good?)

That's all six Battlefront games except the very first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Yes, kind of. IIRC it went to the Marquee Players like 90% of the time - the players who spent the most money. Also had to pay real money to unlock them too, on top of having them randomly assigned in matches. Without paying I think your 'hero' characters were just like, generic Alliance/Empire generals and stuff? (I only played it for like a day, cool game outside of all of the mtx stuff)

EA's defense of the game's monetization (specifically their defense of why it takes an unbelievably long time to unlock them without paying) is the most downvoted comment of all time on Reddit, by a significantly huge margin (600k downvotes, vs #2 most downvoted comment with about 80,000)
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/comment/dppum98/?context=3
https://www.reddit.com/r/ListOfComments/wiki/downvoted/

EA posted:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 27, 2022