Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

They'll work against their own interests because they are worried anything different than what they've always known will somehow be worse than a bad situation.

I think there might also be an element not unlike scam victims, where - psychologically, emotionally, subconsciously - the worst possible outcome is having to admit that you were tricked, that you fell for it, and it was all for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Volmarias posted:

Flying right past WWI with this post, and it was county deputies with private planes. Blair Mountain is important but it's not quite the same, especially since many striking miners chose to surrender to federal troops when they arrived.

Weird fact: The US didn't have bombers during WWI. They had fighters and reconnaissance planes, but didn't build bombers until after the war.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

Weird fact: The US didn't have bombers during WWI. They had fighters and reconnaissance planes, but didn't build bombers until after the war.

Did anybody have bombers? I thought that they all dropped little bombs by hand from their biplanes.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Flyball posted:

Did anybody have bombers? I thought that they all dropped little bombs by hand from their biplanes.

loving Busy Town rear end war

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Flyball posted:

The Germans and British (and presumably French but I don't recall offhand) had bombers that could get pretty big for the time; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesenflugzeug
Zeppelins were also famously used by the Germans to bomb the UK.

(For all of these the amount of bombs they could carry was pretty small by world war 2 standards let alone today)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Flyball posted:

The first bombing in WWI was a dude dropping hand grenades from a scout plane. Eventually they started making purpose built bombs to release or drop. By the last couple years England and France had started building actual bombers.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

goatface posted:

Burn it all down. Don't plan what to do next, provide no foundations to rebuild on. Every scrap of guidance we provide to those who come after increases the risk they just reproduce our failings. Only if they have to start from nothing can they avoid our patterns.

We might need to kill ~all humans.

Ted Faro alt account spotted.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

The first bombing in WWI was a dude dropping hand grenades from a scout plane. Eventually they started making purpose built bombs to release or drop. By the last couple years England and France had started building actual bombers.

The Germans modified Zeppelins for that role. On July 15, 1915 they bombed London. Late in 1916 British planes got enough power to be able to start shooting them down.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware that "The last couple years of the war" included 1913

Thomamelas posted:

The Germans modified Zeppelins for that role. On July 15, 1915 they bombed London. Late in 1916 British planes got enough power to be able to start shooting them down.

The Germans also had regular bombers too, like the Gotha G.I

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Really tired of brewery owners who put their own convenience and ego over the quality and integrity of the beer, and who value what they overheard as a homebrewer over the input of their brewers who have three decades of professional experience and education between them.

Yeah, whatever buddy. Have you considered that maybe they sat through an entire online conference that mentioned yeast autolysis, so that's justification for packaging beer after like two weeks? (A real thing that happened to me)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

We built a bunch of bombers, the most famous is probably the Handley Page Type 0 which was so popular that Handley Page became shorthand for 'large plane'. We had bombers early in the war but the first time we did strategic bombing was essentially 1915 with the most used ones like the de Havilland DH-4 coming in 1916.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Here comes the part of shutting down a plant I was dreading.
They decided 3rd shift is going to run one chipmounter line and wave solder until we close in April, everyone else goes and does busywork all night.
2nd is going to run the opposite CM line and wave and do the same.
1st is going to run full-capacity.

Evidently they have talked to 1st and 2nd about absorbing 3rd but have yet to mention it to 3rd. One of my coworkers asked me which shift I'd pick when it inevitably happens, and I had to think about it for a minute.

I ended up telling her, "I can barely stand working with anyone on either of those shifts save 4 people for 15 minutes a day, I'm not coming to work at 5:30AM, and either one basically means my girlfriend and I never see each other again until this place shuts down."

When it comes time to move, I'm going to ask my boss for a layoff before I make a decision between utterly loving my life up and turbofucking my life up, especially since whichever one I choose, I lose my diff, take a giant paycut and destroy my home life.
I've worked there for 3 years, next-newest person is at 6, so hopefully my severance is low-stakes enough that they just do it considering most of the people left are 20+.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 27, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

logged in, saw myself tagged in at least a dozen emails, had a teams message that they got rid of the final project manager (meaning I now have to handle the very pissy construction vendors), logged the gently caress back out and put in the pto request. not today

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Been at my new job over 3 months now and have been using the same shirt/slacks rotation the whole time. Suddenly yesterday, one of my shirts was in violation of the dress code out of nowhere. They've seen me wear this particular at least a dozen times but now for some reason it's a problem. This was Monday and on the heels of one one of my supervisors actually complimenting me on how I dress and "how I present myself".

Middle managers just like to FIND poo poo to bitch about, IME, no matter what the job is.

We have brief pre shift meetings every morning too and you know what you'll never hear during one of them? "Welp, you guys are doing fine so not much to cover here. Keep it up". And again, they bring up one or two things where I'm like "who the gently caress did THAT?" and rather than address the culprit(s), we all get to hear the negative comment.

Oh yeah, had my 90 day review too and got good marks but on a 1 to 3 scale I was rated a 2 on "teamwork" which was the only one I took exception to. I asked them for examples or if any supervisors or coworkers ever mentioned me as difficult to work with or unwilling to help out or pitch in and they had nothing. Truth is, they don't even KNOW so they just marked me average.

Everything else was fair enough.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Middle managers just like to FIND poo poo to bitch about, IME, no matter what the job is.

To quote pre-insanity Scott Adams, "Measure they must, because that is what sets managers apart from other organic matter."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its an open secret: any method that has a composite score but limits the amount of any number of people getting certain scores makes managers just work backwards from the composite score they want to give you. Anything else is just more work when HR comes back and says you have too many people above average. This results in random wacky scores for things the manager is just trying to juice the number on.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Welp just got my first "final notice warning", which reads like the front office maggot being a whiny marshmallo and complaining Im "unnaproachable and offputting". Oh and apprently theres all these complaints in the customer serveys that I have, even though zero of them mention me by name at all. Sounds like its time for me to gtfo before these fuckers shitcan me. Amusingly I have only been written up like once before for equally bullshit reasons.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

DreadUnknown posted:

Welp just got my first "final notice warning", which reads like the front office maggot being a whiny marshmallo and complaining Im "unnaproachable and offputting". Oh and apprently theres all these complaints in the customer serveys that I have, even though zero of them mention me by name at all. Sounds like its time for me to gtfo before these fuckers shitcan me. Amusingly I have only been written up like once before for equally bullshit reasons.

Traditionally "unapproachable" means "pushes back on accusations of other stuff".
That said, if they don't want you there, and you don't like being there, best to find somewhere that's better for you?

I may be biased, though. I try to achieve a certain low level of actual unapproachability at work so that people with trivial problems find it easier to look elsewhere.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Three weeks ago: "What? Impossible! They need to meet the order date, even if they didn't know it was issued until last week!"

Two weeks ago: "I don't know why we would issue that order in the first place! Who authorized that? "

Today: "cancel it! Also get me a quote for quantities 19, 36 and 53."

From " we're all going to die" to not believing in death two weeks later. Dude almost accidentally ordered $80k in parts with no known use and got mad at me for not killing the order while he had an internal debate on if he needed the parts after all.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Atopian posted:

I may be biased, though. I try to achieve a certain low level of actual unapproachability at work so that people with trivial problems find it easier to look elsewhere.

:yossame:

unfortunetly tech being the way it is being able to learn how to diagnose things means you're instantly the most (or possibly only) competent person to go ask

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My sister works for the local branch of a big nonprofit. Her boss wanted to hold a sort of memorial for the one year anniversary for her husband’s death, and this involves the organization for some reason, I don’t remember why. He was Italian or Italian-American, so she wants to call it “a Goombah Affair.” So my sister is sitting at planning sessions for “A Goombah affair.” My sister says she was unaware of the word being a pejorative, and also didn’t remember that there were Mario baddies called that until I mentioned it, but she didn’t like saying it because she thought it sounded dumb. She would refer to it as an Italian-American party or something like that, but her boss would correct her, “No, it’s a Goombah Affair.”

Anyway, someone somewhere raised complaints about a derogatory term, and there was a teensy bit of fallout, but nothing really resulted from it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

stories from non-profits will never not amaze me, just management failsons all the way down

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

To quote pre-insanity Scott Adams, "Measure they must, because that is what sets managers apart from other organic matter."

I'm manager, and I approve this message

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BiggerBoat posted:

Been at my new job over 3 months now and have been using the same shirt/slacks rotation the whole time. Suddenly yesterday, one of my shirts was in violation of the dress code out of nowhere. They've seen me wear this particular at least a dozen times but now for some reason it's a problem. This was Monday and on the heels of one one of my supervisors actually complimenting me on how I dress and "how I present myself".

You can’t just leave this comment without showing us a picture of the shirt

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Is it that "anime women enjoying themselves" shirt made famous by memes?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

Is it that "anime women enjoying themselves" shirt made famous by memes?

Showing up to the Zoom meeting in full ahegao shirt, pants, hoodie and ball cap :smuggo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the power tie for the 21st century

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Scientastic posted:

You can’t just leave this comment without showing us a picture of the shirt

Looks like this

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61BDqHvmhGL._AC_UX569_.jpg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vibrant colour in the workplace?! Scandalous! Peon, you should be wearing a white or grey shirt at all times to show your broken spirit and subservience!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ban this filth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“That shirt is a gang color.”

—BB’s boss, probably

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nehru collars are fundamentally un-American.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

“That shirt is a gang color.”

—BB’s boss, probably

AFAICT, it has something to do with the collar; or lack thereof. So whatever I guess but the shirt looks fine to me and (almost) everyone else.

The bug up my rear end is why it's suddenly an issue now after wearing it probably 10 times over three months

And poo poo like this opens up the thing where now I'm scratching my head wondering why Ian can wear a big Axl Rose headband, Julie can put on a big head scarf (she's not Muslim btw) or Alan can have a nose ring or whatever. Mind you, I don't give a gently caress what they wear but it leads to me feeling singled out.

What I'm saying is I think it's loving stupid and I like my shirt.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 28, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat, I'm good.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Looks like jammies, wouldn't want workers feeling too comfortable on the clock, they might start thinking they're human

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BiggerBoat posted:

AFAICT, it has something to do with the collar; or lack thereof. So whatever I guess but the shirt looks fine to me and (almost) everyone else.

It’s got a collar. It’s a banded collar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s got a collar. It’s a banded collar.

Sure, if I wanted to die on this hill I could start making noise about how the dress code policy says "collared shirt" and that technically that IS a collar but how far do I wanna take this, really? Just to be passive aggressive about it, yesterday I wore the largest collared shirt I own. It's like some pirate poo poo almost. Kinda looks like this

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51zsg3uztaL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Maybe I'll get me some 70's disco shirts from a thrift store and get all Starsky about it. That'll show em.

Anxiously awaiting the whole "no, not THAT MUCH collar" conversation where I pretend to be deeply confused about the matter.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 28, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ah, yes. The nuclear option.

God, I feel like Mattingly not trimming his sideburns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Haha. Wow. I assumed it was a like a naked hula girl pattern or something, how can anyone object to that?