Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The tires you put on the 16s vs what's on there now will be the only change. Could raise or lower depending.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, plug in the 17" size, then play with the width and profile on a 16" to get something close. If you've got the factory 205/40R17 (ugh what an ugly size) a 205/50R16 is almost the same size, just very slightly taller. Still a really odd tire size.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure if this varies by brand or year or anything, let me know if it does. Do TPMS sensors have to be re-programmed at a dealer or can a tire shop do it or is it something you can do with an OBDII scanner? I normally have two sets of wheels and swap back and forth between winter and all season but I've been looking at newer cars that have TPMS and apparently in some cases they need to be reprogrammed and if you don't do that then it throws an error and messes with your stability control for some reason? I don't know, this is all fairly new to me, I've only ever had one new enough car for TPMS sensors or stability control and it was when I drove around on all seasons all the time.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure if this varies by brand or year or anything, let me know if it does. Do TPMS sensors have to be re-programmed at a dealer or can a tire shop do it or is it something you can do with an OBDII scanner? I normally have two sets of wheels and swap back and forth between winter and all season but I've been looking at newer cars that have TPMS and apparently in some cases they need to be reprogrammed and if you don't do that then it throws an error and messes with your stability control for some reason? I don't know, this is all fairly new to me, I've only ever had one new enough car for TPMS sensors or stability control and it was when I drove around on all seasons all the time.

It does depend on the specific make and model. Some cars are trivially easy and others are a pain in the rear end.

But most tires shops should be able to handle most cars.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I can confirm what Guiness said. You should start with a tire shop. I don't know of anything readily available for consumers to do so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On my focus you just did some magic Konami code bullshit iirc

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I bought a moderately priced Honda Accord because I needed an appliance with how often my formerly reliable Impreza has been going to the shop, doing some research it looks like you need a tool that's $100. I'm taking it in to the shop Tuesday for an alignment, while I'm there I'm going to ask how much resetting costs to see whether it's worth buying it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Honda will require some sort of TPMS tool, unless it's happens to be an indirect (lots of newer ones are). AFAIK there's no easy way to program sensors to the vehicle, you need some sort of TPMS tool that can read the sensors and write back via OBD.

GM and Ford had the easiest methods, set the vehicle into learn mode by whichever method, and just let the air out of each wheel starting at LF until the sensor pings the vehicle. The tool is only needed if you need to code a programmable sensor to the make/model.

But any tire shop would be able to do that in about 5 minutes if they're not busy. We're supposed to charge $20 to do it, but unless someone was an insufferable rear end in a top hat it just got done for free.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 27, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You can get TPMS valves/sensors that are preprogrammed to your car, mine were these ones HUF RDE047V26 but lots of different models of course.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yes, you can buy them precoded as well. Our shop stocks only the Schrader programmable sensors, because it's less to deal with as far as inventory.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I was under the impression that you had to activate each set in the car's TPMS module whenever you swapped.

Does it seem to anyone like Nokian's supplies are short this year? Maybe I'm just ordering winter tires at the worst time but they're out of stock most places. IIRC they had a factory in Russia so maybe that's the problem. I ended up finding a set of Hakkapeliitta 10s for a decent price but it took me like an hour. I don't like ordering tires from eBay because I've gotten pretty old ones in the past but these were released in 2021 so at most they should be a year old.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Tires in general have had just as many supply issues as anything else right now. For example, I've been running into OOS on a lot of the Michelin snows I've had inquiries about recently, same with Pirelli. Goodyear seems to have better availability, but I've had people ordering snows for the last two months already because of anticipated supply restrictions.

So there's two separate steps for TPMS systems. First, if you have a programmable sensor, you need to tell the sensor what year/make/model vehicle. This will make sure it's transmitting the correct data on the correct frequency (433 or 315MHz, generally) as well as whatever other vehicle specific data it wants. If you've bought a sensor specifically for your vehicle, it's generally specifically for that year/model and is not reprogrammable for another vehicle.

Second is coding the sensor IDs to the vehicle. This step varies by the vehicle, some are easy (GM and Ford, learn mode set on the vehicle), some are a pain in the rear end (Toyotas with sensors in a full size spare) and some are stupid (Chrysler and their "drive to learn", which always takes just long enough for the customer to come back and bitch). Generally you'll either scan all 4 (or 5) sensors with a scan tool, plug it into the diagnostic port, and code the IDs read into the TPMS module or ECM.

GM and Ford skip the OBD step, and use a learn mode set in the vehicle. It varies based on the year and model, but generally it's using the key fob, headlamp switch, dash info display, etc. Generally you can find how to do it on a specific year and model by Google. Then you can just add/remove air from each wheel as the dash indicates to trigger the sensor to transmit and tell the vehicle what sensor is in each position.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 27, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Decided that since i'm not too hot on the wheels on the car that they're going to winter wheel duty. So that just leaves which tires to get, the Blizzacks (had a set before, no real complaints aside for finding out one was two years older than the other three when it shredded itself one day) or the Sotozeros. Price is nearly the same on Tire Rack so that isn't a real deciding factor. What's the current thread favorite?

Edit: I can get the Sotozeros for $615 on ebay right now, a bit of a better price.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 1, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

TireRack has some favorable remarks for the Pirellis in their video here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/pirelli-winter-sottozero-3

Blizzaks are definitely classics, and it's hard to go wrong, but I don't think they're quite as clear a winner anymore. It might depend on just how much winter you get.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My coworker preferred the Sottozero3 over the Michelin Xi3, fwiw. I've not driven the Pirelli vs the Bizzak back to back, but as said you probably can't go wrong with any of the major brand winter tires vs an all season tire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nitsuga posted:

TireRack has some favorable remarks for the Pirellis in their video here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/pirelli-winter-sottozero-3

Blizzaks are definitely classics, and it's hard to go wrong, but I don't think they're quite as clear a winner anymore. It might depend on just how much winter you get.

Excellent, thank you. There's a very high possibility that I'll be quitting my job in the near future so i won't need to drive daily but I don't want to be caught with my pants down.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How bad is being at 34PSI on a 32PSI spec? I'm noticing a problem where the tire pressure varies by as much as 4PSI based on elevation. It's causing the TPMS light to go off but I'm worried that having the tires a couple PSI below spec by going down to a lower elevation would be worse than having them slightly high. Obviously I'd like to have it at 32PSI everywhere but I don't want to be letting air out and filling it back up whenever I drive an hour away.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
You’re fine

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i recently noticed that one of my truck's tires was looking a little low, and it had got down to 8psi. it was driving mostly normal even at that point, so im guessing 32 vs 34 isnt going to make a noticeable difference unless you're doing some real performance driving

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I wouldn't worry about it. Set them at whatever cold pressure for your normal location, running at 2psi higher won't hurt them. If you were going for a week at a significantly lower elevation, I'd probably check your pressures when you got there and adjust accordingly, then put them back before heading back up.

But really, how often do you think 90% of people check their pressure if the warning light doesn't come on? 2psi is pretty sensitive, I've had vehicles where it doesn't pop on until it's 5-10psi off spec.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’d be surprised if many cheap pressure gauges were even reliably accurate or readable to +/- 2psi

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I was just worrying about accelerated wear. I bought the car from someone who had aired up to 32PSI at about 8-9000 feet and they were down to 28PSI once he was back down at 5000 feet. I felt like I could feel the difference once I aired them up again before I drove back up but maybe that was placebo effect. It might be more like 35-36 PSI currently, it was sleeting when I checked because I noticed the TPMS light was on so I looked quickly using my little $5 tire gauge in order to get out of the weather. It has been a long time since I owned a vehicle with a TPMS and when I did it only went off when a tire was very low, so it's one of the aspects of owning a non-shitbox that I'm trying to get used to.

It's funny Raluek mentions a tire being down to 8PSI, when I bought my dearly departed pickup truck from my dad I was test driving it and was thinking "what the hell is wrong with the steering?" and then I checked the pressure and they were all at about 20 instead of 50. That made a big difference.

E: I do have a Kobalt 24v tire inflator, I just need to charge my batteries for it because it takes a lot of juice and it turns out it has a lot of passive drain for some reason.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I just bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta C4 studs for my van. Fresh from the oven, DOT 37/22. No reviews out yet because its a brand new model release for 2022. Made in Finland too since the Russian factory is quite dead now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nice, my misdelivered Hakkapeliitta 10 studded just showed up yesterday, so I'm going to try to get them installed in the next week. I've got an alignment check tomorrow since it seems like there might be some accelerated tread wear and I feel like I might be getting a little bump steer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hello,
Winter run flats for my BMW? Size 225/50 R17.

Tire Rack seems to basically have two options for me.

Blizzak LM001 RFT - Size: 225/50R17

Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat - Size: 225/50R17

Are the Pirelli worth the extra $90 after instant rebate? I (usually) don't have to drive over snow a lot, a couple of times a year, more worried about traction in the cold and if there's ice on the road.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Uthor posted:

Hello,
Winter run flats for my BMW? Size 225/50 R17.

Tire Rack seems to basically have two options for me.

Blizzak LM001 RFT - Size: 225/50R17

Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat - Size: 225/50R17

Are the Pirelli worth the extra $90 after instant rebate? I (usually) don't have to drive over snow a lot, a couple of times a year, more worried about traction in the cold and if there's ice on the road.

Ditch the runflats and get AAA.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Ditch the runflats and get AAA.

I don't have runflats winters now and don't like thinking about having to deal with poo poo if I get a flat. I spend a lot of weekends driving to my folks and I don't wanna deal with a car stuck a long way from home for a weekend waiting for stores to open up. I have driven around with a summer tire in the back of the wagon, but was annoyed with how much space it ate up.

Basically, I'm willing to pay more for the peace of mind.

Also, gently caress BMW for not making space for a spare tire.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Runflats are a compromise because the sidewall has to be much stiffer to allow for the tire to remain round while deflated. In general you get worst grip, worst road noise, and worst ride quality for the benefit of being able to drive a limited range at reduced speed with a flat tire.

Get AAA, and if you're feeling spicy get a tire repair kit for when you don't feel like waiting.

For most people the runflat tradeoff isn't worth it, but eh, worth trying it out, it might not bug you as much as others.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't notice them at all as the all seasons. Too much sound dampening insidr the car. Slightly less grip than what I had on my GTI, but I drive a wagon to work and home, doesn't matter day to day.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

No one should buy runflats they are terrible in every way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You also can't drive that far on them, so it's not like runflats prevent you from getting stuck a long way from home. You can drive ~50 miles at ~50 mph.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EBay has some tire discounts right now, $100/500 and $200/1000, the catch is only a few sellers qualify like Discount Direct and Tirebuyer

Worth checking out if you are buying a set (or a pair of expensive ones)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Any benefits to Azenis RT660K vs RT615K+?

Thinking about popping a set of either on my otherwise stock EM1.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RT660 is a much faster tire than the RT615K+ and will also live a much shorter life.

In terms of tracking them, the RT660 kind of has a reputation right now for coming apart. Just run the 615K+ unless you're competing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

EBay has some tire discounts right now, $100/500 and $200/1000, the catch is only a few sellers qualify like Discount Direct and Tirebuyer

Worth checking out if you are buying a set (or a pair of expensive ones)

poo poo, I’ll have to look into that. I need new rears on my m3 and buying 2 never qualifies for any deals

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fknlo posted:

poo poo, I’ll have to look into that. I need new rears on my m3 and buying 2 never qualifies for any deals

https://slickdeals.net/f/16089859-ebay-coupon-savings-on-select-tire-purchase-200-off-1k-150-off-750-or-100-off-500-free-shipping

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Can't find a 285/35/19 PS4S from any of those retailers. There's a 295/30/19 option from discount tire but I'll have to see how that works with the fronts. If it were a 35 aspect ratio I'd probably just do it. There's also the 305/30 wildcard option I guess.

e: nevermind, shopcwo has them. I definitely need to grab a pair. And then I found some through one of the other retailers that didn't show up through a direct search.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fknlo posted:

Can't find a 285/35/19 PS4S from any of those retailers. There's a 295/30/19 option from discount tire but I'll have to see how that works with the fronts. If it were a 35 aspect ratio I'd probably just do it. There's also the 305/30 wildcard option I guess.

e: nevermind, shopcwo has them. I definitely need to grab a pair. And then I found some through one of the other retailers that didn't show up through a direct search.

Tire size search on eBay sucks :(

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It really does, I need a set of 185R14s for the old Benz and none of the sale tires are the right size and sifting through the bullshit to find something close is annoying. I’ll just take it to the tire shop and have them sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
typing out the size with spaces seems to get the best results? Something like 285 35 19 Michelin worked best for me but then it didn't necessarily show the tires on the sale participants page when I did that. But then it did under a general search so who knows