Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Better or worse than plain stone? Is there any way to actually view how much total durability a tool has in-game?

Worse durability than plain stone, with a technical exception for chopping down big trees due to causing significantly more progress per chop action. And obsidian has even worse durability than flint, but is best in slot bonus wise under the hood. And other than deciding an arbitrary metric and observing how much a given task drains durability on each tool, nope.

For knives, bone makes your best workhorse knife till you get to metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Worse durability than plain stone, with a technical exception for chopping down big trees due to causing significantly more progress per chop action. And obsidian has even worse durability than flint, but is best in slot bonus wise under the hood. And other than deciding an arbitrary metric and observing how much a given task drains durability on each tool, nope.

For knives, bone makes your best workhorse knife till you get to metal.
I'm not even sure what bonus-wise means in a game like this when it comes to axes, but I'll keep an eye out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So after talking with folks here and in the game recommendation thread, I ended up trying Subnautica again after abandoning an abortive permadeath playthrough years ago. Holy poo poo I love this game. The diagetic ui, the hostile, frightening, but beautiful game world, the clear story motivation and apparent end game/win condition, the FP perspective with decent graphics, it's all so good.

So good, in fact, that I'd like to ask ahead of time for suggestions on what to play next? What else do I look into it this. Subnautica, is my perfect survival game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The bad news is that there really isn't anything out there that matches up to Subnautica. The good news is that if you just started you got like 100 hours to go before you 100% the game unless you follow a guide.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, there's the sequel, which is basically just more Subnautica, if very condensed.

FWIW, as a fellow Subnautica lover, I've found The Long Dark very compelling. Except for the lack of an end goal. It is incredibly atmospheric though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a bit of two minds about using the wiki in Subnautica, on the one hand i generally want to learn the game myself, otoh two or three times now I've said "FFS I haven't found X and I've looked everywhere for hours and I'm sick of it" and EVERY TIME the answer was that I'd already been to the place that has the tech, sometimes more than once, and I just physically over looked it.

One of them (the prawn), I seriously think might not be anywhere else, because lord knows I can't go three feet without finding a piece of a cyclops.

The other time was when I resorted to looking up how to entee the mountain island ruin and the answer being just explore that island l never occurred to me.

Anyway, I hope i haven't ruined my play time with this great game, I now have a vague list of places to go alien sites and I absolutely won't be looking up where they are.

Edit: yes, TLD is absolutely my other favorite survival game, so at least now I clearly have "a type".

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The thing to remember with Subnautica is that despite it sounding like you have a time limit at several parts of the game, you never actually have to rush to do anything and will never run out of time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Subnautica sequel, while generally a smaller and less interesting / varied world, made it so that scanning any wreckage gives you a random technology from that region's tier instead of hiding X specific technology at X specific location and if you don't find it you're hosed. You're still heavily incentivized to explore everywhere and scan everything but you don't have the probability of draws with replacement / gacha problem.

(As an aside I know there's a formal term for that problem that isn't either of the ones I just used, I just can't remember what it is.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Subnautica sequel, while generally a smaller and less interesting / varied world, made it so that scanning any wreckage gives you a random technology from that region's tier

That is exactly the thought I'd had while playing, so that's awesome.

I thought I probably shouldn't play the DLC back to back? I need to finish Elden Ring so I Was going to do that, or basically anything else, to try and put soke distance between the the base game and the DLC.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked Below Zero's world better than the original :saddumb:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I skimmed, very lightly, the PC Gamer review, and it 1) said it's almost as good 2) improves on base building, vehicles, and land exploration 3) suffers from a more involved plot and character interaction that didn't land for them.

So. Honestly, yeah that's two positives and a subjective negative.

My friend HATES it and says it's an example of devs not understanding their own game. I've intentionally not asked him for details but yeah the game seems to be well regarded by some and despised by others? I think I'm going to like it.

And apparently they're making a third!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Danaru posted:

I liked Below Zero's world better than the original :saddumb:

It was fleshed our more and the zones are more detailed, which is a positive in that it feels more like a world where things actually happen and shows that you're part of this larger world. The drawback there is that it loses a lot of the "terror of open water" effect where it was you, a life pod, a radioactive dead ship, and one flask of water against an utterly uncaring natural ecosystem.

Both are valid, it's personal preference. I like the first more because I've survived on an ice sheet ten thousand times but diving down into the dark depths is much more interesting to me. To this day I still feel a prickle on the back of my neck when I think about the first time I looked over the Crater's Edge and my PDA, which up until that point mostly dryly told me about environmental factors, told me to turn the gently caress around.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 26, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought Below Zero was fine but definitely more of the same. I didn't finish it but might go back to it one day. Most of the complaints I've seen about the narrative/character revolve around it being a woman and how can I possibly be immersed in a game playing as a woman when I am in fact a man??!?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

explosivo posted:

I thought Below Zero was fine but definitely more of the same. I didn't finish it but might go back to it one day. Most of the complaints I've seen about the narrative/character revolve around it being a woman and how can I possibly be immersed in a game playing as a woman when I am in fact a man??!?
One step further...
There is also a mod that changes the PDA to not have an Indian womans voice.
Because that is 'too political'.

I'm still waiting to play the latest BZ update.
I want to play it in VR, but the VR modmaker seems to be having problems with it having double layered UI.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 26, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OgNar posted:

One step further...
There is also a mod that changes the PDA to not have an Indian womans voice.
Because that is 'too political'.

FFS capital-G 'Gamers' are the dumbest motherfuckers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Making a game called Subnautica but having extended surface sections in the sequel does feel like taking the piss, tbh.

Below Zero just feels too condensed. It showers you in upgrades and whatnot so quickly it feels weird.

I do commend them for the ice cave diving section, though. -5/10 absolutely never again :shepface:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can tell the first Subnautica protagonist is a man, especially his pain barks, but i like that he's fairly androgynous. He's not a meat mountain, you never really see him, he doesn't talk, he's always in a wet suit, etc.

The other one being a lady doesn't matter to me or, if it does, it's a positive.

Oh hey its starting to look like grounded might be really good actually:

https://www.pcgamer.com/grounded-review/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Making a game called Subnautica but having extended surface sections in the sequel does feel like taking the piss, tbh.

Below Zero just feels too condensed. It showers you in upgrades and whatnot so quickly it feels weird.

I do commend them for the ice cave diving section, though. -5/10 absolutely never again :shepface:

BZ definitely is the kind of game that designed as a sequel. It throws you up the tech tree pretty fast because you already *did* all that stuff in the last game, so hurry up and get to the new stuff.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The story in BZ ended up feeling really lackluster and half-complete. One character that seems really important just, walks out of the script what feels like halfway through, major plot threads can just, be ignored and not interacted with. The world was prettier and fairly enjoyable, excluding the above water sections which were absolute garbage to the last, but I absolutely did not find the narrative interesting, and there was no real 'wonder moments' of coming across specific alien structures or the like for the first time. I didn't enjoy having a voiced character either compared to the silent protagonist of the last.

I just wish the new building modules (and the seatruck I guess) could be ported back to Subnautica, since they were really nice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mods in general, especially a randomizer for Rogue like runs, would extend my time with the game a ton.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The land sections are atrocious IMO and really dragged an otherwise alright game down. The ending was kinda cool, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just didn't think BZ was as compelling as the original. Everything was more condensed and there was a bigger emphasize on character interaction but that's a big hit and miss. The gradually opening story and big open spaces of the original just can't be beaten. BZ is still a find game and all, but I found it rather forgettable.

Supposedly the development of BZ suffered a lot of setbacks and rewrote the whole plot at least once, and a lot of people say the scrapped version was a lot better. YMMV.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

TeaJay posted:

Supposedly the development of BZ suffered a lot of setbacks and rewrote the whole plot at least once, and a lot of people say the scrapped version was a lot better. YMMV.

I remember enjoying the plot hooks of the first EA version of BZ I played before I shelved it till it hit release. Being an active employee of the corporation was neat, and there was this rocket thing you had to arm and send research up through and then got supply drops parachuted in. Your sister was a tech on the orbital station helping you out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jawnycat posted:

I remember enjoying the plot hooks of the first EA version of BZ I played before I shelved it till it hit release. Being an active employee of the corporation was neat, and there was this rocket thing you had to arm and send research up through and then got supply drops parachuted in. Your sister was a tech on the orbital station helping you out.

Yeah it was real cool, if a bit slow paced at first. I really liked seeing the station in the sky :unsmith:

Also I loved the mspaint dev art posters and wish I could get them back :v:

Also honestly I really liked the above ground sections, it's fun having new traversal challenges, especially ones you can solve by building a ladder tower :haw:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
my BZ experience was made 10,000% more enjoyable by the craft-from-containers mod and the no-seatruck-slowdown mod. I didn't like it as much as the original, but it smoothed some sections and I liked the extra base options.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bhodi posted:

my BZ experience was made 10,000% more enjoyable by the craft-from-containers mod and the no-seatruck-slowdown mod. I didn't like it as much as the original, but it smoothed some sections and I liked the extra base options.

Sea truck is good but I miss the cyclops.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sea truck rules but the cargo section is complete dogshit, what the hell is that about

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mods in general, especially a randomizer for Rogue like runs, would extend my time with the game a ton.
For my final sendoff playthrough of Subnautica I used a mod that made all the recipes way more expensive, so the game was much slower in progression and took a lot more exploring and use of technologies you might otherwise skip over in a casual playthrough. I enjoyed it but by the time it was over, it definitely made me also feel like I was done with Subnautica forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

For my final sendoff playthrough of Subnautica I used a mod that made all the recipes way more expensive, so the game was much slower in progression and took a lot more exploring and use of technologies you might otherwise skip over in a casual playthrough. I enjoyed it but by the time it was over, it definitely made me also feel like I was done with Subnautica forever.

That sounds like literal hell, bravo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Some parts were pretty fun, like building out more infrastructure, using the scanning room and prawn drill more, creating a more permanent base than I was used to because I'd be spending more time in it. Treated the whole thing like a long haul and taking my time over more play sessions.
But yes, in the end, I was more than ready for it to just be over.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Two part question for Card Survival: Can you build furniture like the stove in the shed, and is it worth it? I assume it's mostly just a staging area for preparing for a mud or stone hut, and it shouldn't be built up too much. I focused it pretty much exclusively (along with some vases) and now I'm settled in on day 9. No way to move my bed in here, do I need to build another? The leaf bed is enough since I already have a roof, right?
I guess I should move most of my crafting and valuables inside, right? No sense doing most of that out in the jungle itself. And I assume the main advantages of being inside are no sunburn, protection from rain, and fewer monkey thieves.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
There's essentially no reason to put more than a leaf bed in the shed, you'll get a mud hut running soon enough.

also, when you have a hut, you can throw all your rotten food in the shed so you don't have to smell it :v:

optimal play is to do everything that can be done inside, inside, but it's a little annoying to keep going in and out

In my own playthrough I seem to have stabilized in the dry season. It was a bit touch and go for a while there but keeping yourself constantly soaked in seawater goes a long way towards both keeping your mood from collapsing and reducing how much you sweat

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

CuddleCryptid posted:

That sounds like literal hell, bravo
I mean what do you expect from someone who willingly exposes themselves to Nomifactory :v:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Subnautica sequel, while generally a smaller and less interesting / varied world, made it so that scanning any wreckage gives you a random technology from that region's tier instead of hiding X specific technology at X specific location and if you don't find it you're hosed.

Oh, wow. This is how Subnautica USED TO do it in early-early access back when there was full-world terrain deformation among other things. It was a vastly superior system, I never understood why they changed it to what it is now, and to hear that they just went and reverted it for the followup game is hilarious.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
A lot of people say that Subnautica BZ feels condensed. I gather that they mean this to be a bad thing, but I also want to say that same thing except that it is a good thing.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

A lot of people say that Subnautica BZ feels condensed. I gather that they mean this to be a bad thing, but I also want to say that same thing except that it is a good thing.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel too. I started playing Vanilla again and I just didn't like how far apart everything was. Below Zero is smaller and fiddlier and I like that a lot more.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vib Rib posted:

Two part question for Card Survival: Can you build furniture like the stove in the shed, and is it worth it? I assume it's mostly just a staging area for preparing for a mud or stone hut, and it shouldn't be built up too much. I focused it pretty much exclusively (along with some vases) and now I'm settled in on day 9. No way to move my bed in here, do I need to build another? The leaf bed is enough since I already have a roof, right?
I guess I should move most of my crafting and valuables inside, right? No sense doing most of that out in the jungle itself. And I assume the main advantages of being inside are no sunburn, protection from rain, and fewer monkey thieves.

I drop a loom into the shed as it's cheap, quick and good for downtime crafting at night while working on the mudhut. Leaf bed alone is fine as all the buildings give full protection from weather. Yes you absolutely want valuables inside, although macaques will still be able to steal things not in storage - the baskets are very good early as you can carry them off to your mud hut, later.

And inside vs outside is very much determined by the heat and rain. Many a night is spent sitting outside by the fire crafting as it's too hot to even run the stove without overheating. Once you're in the jungle (or elsewhere with bugs) then being inside does protect you from said bugs, though so that's always a consideration if you don't have large stockpiles of repellant (get clay jars).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm almost to the 30 day mark and doing all right! Feels like I've spent almost every waking moment crafting cords, mud bricks, or chopping trees, but I got my mud hut a little while ago and a nice comfy stove and bed inside too. Now to figure out... where to go from here.
Reservoir's done great work but it won't keep me in the dry season, so I assume I'll want a cistern by then.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I mean what do you expect from someone who willingly exposes themselves to Nomifactory :v:
wtf you can't helldump me, I'm too busy synthesizing rocket fuel for rebuttal.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you haven't made a spindle yet then it saves massive amounts of time on cord/yarns. From there getting coolers and a cellar going will help you stockpile food while shelves filled with stuff like coral, statues, etc will keep your mood up and by extension loneliness. Once you get paths those are very good for connecting up to your major resources. Mass producing quicklime is good too as you'll need a bunch.

After that initial hump of survival it becomes very important to manage stress and entertainment.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 27, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Is the Sea Cave in Card Survival safe to inhabit? It seem like a prime location for flooding if there’s such mechanic. Otherwise, it doesn’t have bug, next to tide pool, and I don’t need to waste so much resources to repair roof anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Is the Sea Cave in Card Survival safe to inhabit? It seem like a prime location for flooding if there’s such mechanic. Otherwise, it doesn’t have bug, next to tide pool, and I don’t need to waste so much resources to repair roof anymore.

You should test it!

You get wet every high tide

The mud hut rarely requires repairs once you get it.