Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.lakewaykungfu.com/history

This is pretty hilarious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I genuinely thought that was a parody

Trained last night and it was rouuugh. I was totally gassed just with the warm up and simple drills. My jet lag and terrible diet definitely caught up with me as I knew it would

Went about 15 minutes early and saw the tail end of the kids class (I live in a small town which has a satellite school of the main club) as I heard we had a ton of new white belts. There was 37, I heard over 40 on Tuesday. Good thing we have a full size school gymnasium. We had 4 black belts plus master trying to herd the cats, out of which I'd say 1/4 have ADD issues. I stepped in to assist a bit for the last 10 minutes as I could see they all had their hands full. IMHO that's just too big to have a good class, especially white belt kids. As the year goes on our attendance rate will surely drop as kids/parents wash out or lose interest but it's just too difficult to give good instruction with classes that big when so many need a lot of attention.

The instructors have their work cut out.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 23, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Is anyone else reading this with a thick Noo Yawk accent

Edit: I know Fujian is a real place, but the combination of that and the "drunk guy at a bar talking your ear off" energy is too much

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 23, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Xand_Man posted:

Is anyone else reading this with a thick Noo Yawk accent

Edit: I know Fujian is a real place, but the combination of that and the "drunk guy at a bar talking your ear off" energy is too much

I wasn't, but after you posted, I read it in the wrestler Tazz's Red Hook accent and buddy I am dying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fanaticism posted:

hi goons! Started kickboxing a few months ago and love it. Last few weeks I started picking up jiu jitsu because it seems real interesting and is right before kickboxing. Last week I felt sapped and this week again: I noticed my short-term memory was just gone, blinking a lot, felt confused, slightly dizzy, and a mild headache. I bombed the kickboxing class and sat out the sparring. My guess is this was due hitting the mat in jiu and not being well trained in falling yet -- I have a stiff neck and shoulders so I bet that tension travels right up; I expect this to be better again tomorrow.

Do any of you have experience with this? Will I get used to this and will it be ok or am I slowly collecting brain damage?

Missed this and I know that Kimbo touched it, but I agree, it sounds like potentially some post concussion symptoms going on. Take it easy. It's entirely possible to happen from a hit to the noggin from falling badly and brain injury absolutely can happen, especially if it happens again in a short time span.

Glad you noticed the symptoms but please take it easy and let your body heal and learn to fall.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

slidebite posted:

Missed this and I know that Kimbo touched it, but I agree, it sounds like potentially some post concussion symptoms going on. Take it easy. It's entirely possible to happen from a hit to the noggin from falling badly and brain injury absolutely can happen, especially if it happens again in a short time span.

Glad you noticed the symptoms but please take it easy and let your body heal and learn to fall.

I'm not a doctor, but this also sounds a lot like dehydration, especially since it sounds like you've increased your training volume recently. It could also be both!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EdsTeioh posted:

check out the multi thousand page threads on Bullshido about how much of a fraudster this guy is.

FWIW, Bullshido is a good resource on stuff like that, if you can find a school or style in the archives. The current forums seem pretty inactive.

quote:

Any martial arts school is limited by the accumulated body of information available to the student. In Shaolin Do, this body of knowledge is almost limitless, as Grandmaster Thé constantly reveals new forms from the 900-plus Shaolin forms he received.

This is a great line, but it does remind me of something --
I've been teaching kick catches in my sanshou class as always blocking or trapping the kick with the rear arm, and then scooping with the front arm.
The other day I went to the intro to sparring class taught by my teacher, and he fielded a question on that blocking rationale. And he said that the school chose to cut down on the technique to make it easier for students to commit to muscle memory. Instead of practicing techniques for all 4 combinations of:
block kick from left with rear arm, catch with lead arm
block kick from left with lead arm, catch with rear arm
block kick from right with rear arm, catch with lead arm
block kick from right with lead arm, catch with rear arm

they wanted to cut it down to just 2 -- same posture, kicks from either side. I've definitely seen plenty of sanshou fighters do it (as I learned it) the "wrong way."
The incident made me appreciate how much you're molded by what material you're shown and how dogmatically you take it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Before I found all this comedy, I'd reached out to the local Shaolin-Do school to see if I could drop by. I'm going in about an hour; will report back as to how silly it is.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

And hoooooooly poo poo y'all, that was an experience. First of all, this place shares a parking lot with a parking lot with a pretty seedy strip club. I guess this is to test the "how would you win a fight against 3 dudes in a strip club parking lot at 2am" thing, but what do I know? I show up about 10 minutes early and I'm honestly worried about being *late* since I've got that "show up 15 minutes early for everything" mindset. First off, there's a sign on the door "Students only, non-students by appointment only, NO drop-ins." I go in, dude greets me and immediately says "you're early and we're finishing up changing clothes and stuff; can you wait outside for about 10 minutes?" Uh ok. I wait in my car for a few and all 3 students walk out...in their gis. Huh. They all wave and say hello, so that was cool I guess, then the guy's wife come out, walks over to me to introduce herself and invites me in; I go in, and dude immediately say hello and then tells his wife to lock the door. UHH ok. (I should have left at this point TBH). My man's wearing this stonewashed gi with a ragged rear end "weathered" belt, gi open halfway down his chest, no undershirt, big rear end jade Buddah necklace, chest tattoo of a fu lion exactly like Ozzy Osbourne. Like if you picture a weirdo tai chi guy from a comedy sketch, it's THIS guy. They've got a tv on playing cable TV music stations of "Asian" music, so like pan flutes and biwa plucking and all that poo poo like you'd expect an Asian stereotype pro wrestler to have as entrance music. Place is a decent size actually, the mats are...ok but the walls are covered in bullshit rear end flea market fung fu weapons that would probably disintegrate if you swing them with enough force. OF COURSE there are framed pics of the dog faced guy and the weirdo from the videos we all laughed at upthread. Not a single heavy bag anywhere. No wooden man (which, if this was actually "shaolin" I'd assume is based on Wushu, but I dunno if Wushu even uses wooden man). I talk to the guy, tell him what I've trained in before, getting hurt, why I train, and he focuses in on that I said "anxiety." At this point, he goes on about Tai Chi and gives me a brief history in it coming from Taijichuan and all that and then proceeds to hop on the mat and demonstrate "Parting the Horse's Mane" for the better part of 3-4 minutes. Awkward, but ok. Guy invites ME on the mat and has me grab his wrist and corrects my wrist grabbing form. Ok. I eventually get the wrist grab correct and get shows how Parting the Horse's Mane is an arm lock and can break an arm. It was actually a pretty legit elbow break, but I was instantly pretty weirded out by the guy even more so. Then he does some poo poo where I just stand next to him shoulder to shoulder facing forward, he goes to a sitting stance, "focuses his chi" and then hits me in the shoulder with a sort of...One Inch Palm Strike I guess? poo poo knocks me off balance a little since yeah, I wasn't looking and wasn't expecting to get hit and took a shot well above my already high center of gravity. I'm just "uh yeah man that was a lot of energy." At this point I'm basically like "yeah I'm not going to come here" but out of courtesy I ask if there's an intro class and goes on about how he doesn't do intro or free classes out of respect for his paying students' time and all this. I just thank him and tell him I'll touch base once I'm cleared to train. Whew.

As a contrast, the BJJ place by my house immediately offered me a free week of intro classes.

ANYWAY, I hope all of your weekends were better than this!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I used to love the Bullshido forum; it had some regrettable in retrospect forum culture but so did SA at the time: mostly I just consider the "debunking" of traditional martial arts, especially the improbable claims of mystic cults, a solved problem and don't want to just dunk on people enjoying them for my own sense of aggrandizement - but if someone HASN'T been exposed to that debunking it's still a valuable thing to learn.

Basically I know and agree with Bullshido's talking points, I'm just not really interested in shaming or arguing with anyone over it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
They turned over some truly terrible poo poo too. Beyond larping and specious claims of effectiveness.

The owner used to post on SA too but idk if he still does.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Guy invites ME on the mat and has me grab his wrist and corrects my wrist grabbing form. Ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcw6xBaCaXM&t=13s

quote:

shows how Parting the Horse's Mane is an arm lock and can break an arm.
A modern interpretation of where the move came from is that it's to trap an incoming punch and go into a knock-over-knee trip.
There's two demostrations of it, interspersed with the Fen Zong movement from taichi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0VTyUtiTs&t=28s
Knock-over-knee has dozens of moves scattered across Chinese Martial Arts, just tons of variations of how to herd (heh) the opponent into an end state where you can apply the trip.

Tangling up an arm and using it as leverage for a throw is very reasonable. You'd have to have a lot more resistance and rigidity (from being thrown off your feet) to get the break out of it, and that certainly plays into the "we don't actually spar with this stuff" mentality.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcw6xBaCaXM&t=13s

A modern interpretation of where the move came from is that it's to trap an incoming punch and go into a knock-over-knee trip.
There's two demostrations of it, interspersed with the Fen Zong movement from taichi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0VTyUtiTs&t=28s
Knock-over-knee has dozens of moves scattered across Chinese Martial Arts, just tons of variations of how to herd (heh) the opponent into an end state where you can apply the trip.

Tangling up an arm and using it as leverage for a throw is very reasonable. You'd have to have a lot more resistance and rigidity (from being thrown off your feet) to get the break out of it, and that certainly plays into the "we don't actually spar with this stuff" mentality.

HAHAHHA Rex Kwon DO isn't *totally* off base here!

IF he was showing me a throw, I'd buy that, but we basically ended up with him with one hand north of the underside of my elbow/tricep and the other grabbing my wrist in a breaking position. I guess you could go for a throw there, but he wasn't in position for that and I could have just as easily punched him in the face with my left hand since he had zero defense up at that point. I'm not saying that this guy didn't have any practical skills or know what he was talking about in relation to whatever it is that he teaches, but y'all, I cannot adequately describe the levels of WOO from this place, or the weirdo swinger vibe from him and his wife.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

HAHAHHA Rex Kwon DO isn't *totally* off base here!

IF he was showing me a throw, I'd buy that, but we basically ended up with him with one hand north of the underside of my elbow/tricep and the other grabbing my wrist in a breaking position. I guess you could go for a throw there, but he wasn't in position for that and I could have just as easily punched him in the face with my left hand since he had zero defense up at that point. I'm not saying that this guy didn't have any practical skills or know what he was talking about in relation to whatever it is that he teaches, but y'all, I cannot adequately describe the levels of WOO from this place, or the weirdo swinger vibe from him and his wife.

Hey, at least you got a wacky story out of it!

I'm biased, but you should just train at the BJJ gym. There are some weird ones out there for sure, but they're not usually the ones that are happy to offer a free trial.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Nestharken posted:

Hey, at least you got a wacky story out of it!

I'm biased, but you should just train at the BJJ gym. There are some weird ones out there for sure, but they're not usually the ones that are happy to offer a free trial.

That's true, and that is a pretty fun story!

I'm taking an intro BJJ class tonight! I'll post about it once I'm no longer dead. Any tips for first class outside of "don't become dead?"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Keep your mouth closed so you don’t bite your tongue, or wear a mouthpiece

If you don’t know what to do, draw your elbows near your ribs and your knees close to your chest

Tap often and early and have fun

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My gyms worst common practice is that we theoretically let people roll their first day. I mean we don't in practice, but it's entirely informal and there's Just the One Class for all adults. So whether it's your third day or your third year there you are.what I'm saying is you shouldn't actually "roll your first day", I'd be surprised and skeptical of a school that does.

Even at my school it's more like the colored belts will choose you as a partner, crash course you through the positions and some basic transitions, and then drill that with you. Later the transitioning becomes more adversarial. I've seen dudes get into "rolling" before their free week is up but its more like just a colored belt playing with them to see who can get on top using super basics, just enough to get the new guy completely exhausted.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

This is a dedicated white belt/noob class, so I'd assume that it's going to be a lot of shrimping and learning basic positions? I guess?

Good call on the mouthguard though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My one advice is watch their tap culture. If people don’t immediately release when you tap and it seems like the school doesn’t take the tap seriously, I would personally never go back. My father taught me the tap is sacred and I think he had it right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Any tips for first class outside of "don't become dead?"

Treat your fingers like flippers and don't try to do anything that isolates a single finger.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I can't even imagine. Literally before every roll. Every night:

"What do you when you feel like you're about to get hurt?"

(Entire gym) "Tap!"

"What do you do when you partner taps?"

"Let it go!"

"When do you let it go!?"

"Immediately!"

Edit: if it's a GI class, in the unform, you can grab their gi, pull on it, etc. If it's a no gi class, in athletic wear, you don't grab the clothes and just, like, clasp onto body parts like the arms, shoulders, etc.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 26, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Another tip: Try to relax. White belts have reputation for exhausting themselves because they don't know what they need to defend against so they fight every little grip adjustment and weight shift as though their life depended on it. You'll run out of gas quickly and it can be downright dangerous depending on the situation (i.e. if they appear to be applying a leglock for the love of God don't try to roll out, just tap)

You don't know what you're doing; everyone started there, just relax and observe what they are doing on the way to tapping you. You can ask to drill the situation afterwards

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2022

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My one advice is watch their tap culture. If people don’t immediately release when you tap and it seems like the school doesn’t take the tap seriously, I would personally never go back. My father taught me the tap is sacred and I think he had it right.

Going by his earlier posts, it sounds like the gym is affiliated with a guy who got his black belt from Pedro Sauer and was the head instructor at one of his schools for several years, so I'd hope this isn't a serious possibility, but you never know.

As for first-day advice: trim your nails and brush your teeth, show up a few minutes early to fill out a waiver, remember that nobody expects you to be able to do everything perfectly on your first day, and have fun!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's one reason I try to get white belts a "minimal viable build" as quickly as possible because then it's a lot easier to coach them to only use what they've been taught. Like if they know one pass to side control and then to mount, and then one escape from side control and mount, and one sweep, that's it, now you can "do jiu Jitsu" and you should be able to in theory just use the actual moves, especially against an upper belt guiding things back towards those boundaries.

Advice: Don't wear a shirt you like, even in a GI class it might get stretched out or even just stained.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Nestharken posted:

Going by his earlier posts, it sounds like the gym is affiliated with a guy who got his black belt from Pedro Sauer and was the head instructor at one of his schools for several years, so I'd hope this isn't a serious possibility, but you never know.

As for first-day advice: trim your nails and brush your teeth, show up a few minutes early to fill out a waiver, remember that nobody expects you to be able to do everything perfectly on your first day, and have fun!

Yeah, Alan Hopkins; he's a Sauer dude. I assume that's a good thing?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah it's always good when a bjj club can connect itself with a known quantity, though that's worth less than it was 10 years ago. Bjj has no real governing body like eg judo does so lineage is the best way to ensure that you're training with someone who actually knows BJJ, as opposed to krav maga where certification as an instructor is literally just a weekend course.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Definitely learn to love a mouthguard, or at least something thin that'll keep your teeth from clacking together and cracking.

Also, try not to end up flat on your butt/shoulders. It's not wrestling, and you're not gonna get pinned per se, but you always want to be moving your hips.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

If you're not sure what you're doing, doing it harder probably isn't the right thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bumping your hips a bit for a little bridge is very very rarely a net negative value move. I know a black belt who basically does nothing but bump around and hunt straight keylocks.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Accept that good BJJ rarely looks dignified

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Y'ALL that was amazing. Got there early, instructor and assistant come over and greet me, I tell them about my background a bit, have a couple of laughs, and I ask if my gym clothes are ok and get "brother we're gonna find you a gi right now!" get changed, EVERYONE is super cool and this class is like 20+ people. Skewed younger, probably averaging late 20's I'd guess. Did the warm ups running/shuffling/high knees and all that which was cool but like an idiot, I was wearing a Columbia fishing shirt under my loaner gi so I'm burning up in seconds. NBD. Do some forward rolls, shrimp crawls, back rolls, squat advances, etc. Got most of that down, but I'm sloppy as poo poo. Dunno how anyone else looked, and don't care at this point. We move into mount escapes and mounted punch defense and basically drill on that the rest of the night. Got some flows in with the assistant who gave me some good tips and such. lovely thing is that at some point, I got a cough; like something sticking in my throat so I'm having a hard time breathing most of the class. I'm also absolutely loving G A S S E D toward the end. Stayed a bit and spoke with the instructors about etiquette since I didn't want to look like a lumbering rear end in a top hat. Like literally everyone at some point came up and introduced themselves. Absolutely NOT what I was expecting and I mean that in the best way. Great atmosphere from everyone. As I'm getting more info on class times, cost, gear, etc, dude just tells me to keep the loaner gi until I buy one. What was even cooler is that they sell them there, but then apparently don't give a poo poo if you buy one from anywhere else. Sharp contrast to the TKD place I went to where EVERYTHING had to be bought from them. Wasn't necessarily more expensive, but wasn't really the best quality and I'd rather spend a little more on good poo poo.

TL;DR: BJJ was rad; this place is rad. Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm gonna have a bazillion questions, but I have indeed become dead and will post more once I am alive.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes! Yes!!

That's so awesome, I'm thrilled to hear it!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EdsTeioh posted:

As I'm getting more info on class times, cost, gear, etc, dude just tells me to keep the loaner gi until I buy one.

I've never heard of that being done so that's cool. Granted I always have had my own gis and never borrowed a loaner before.

quote:

What was even cooler is that they sell them there, but then apparently don't give a poo poo if you buy one from anywhere else. Sharp contrast to the TKD place I went to where EVERYTHING had to be bought from them.

This is far more common from what I've seen though there are some gym networks that do make you buy gis from them or have their branding/patches on it only so keep that in mind if you ever move or need to find a new gym. It's not as common but still pops up.

quote:

I'm gonna have a bazillion questions

Feel free to ask here or in the grappling thread in The Great Jase Space (formerly Punchsport Pagoda/Fight Island).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh nice; I didn’t realize that thread was even there despite spending a ton of time in PSP.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdsTeioh posted:

Y'ALL that was amazing. Got there early, instructor and assistant come over and greet me, I tell them about my background a bit, have a couple of laughs, and I ask if my gym clothes are ok and get "brother we're gonna find you a gi right now!" get changed, EVERYONE is super cool and this class is like 20+ people. Skewed younger, probably averaging late 20's I'd guess. Did the warm ups running/shuffling/high knees and all that which was cool but like an idiot, I was wearing a Columbia fishing shirt under my loaner gi so I'm burning up in seconds. NBD. Do some forward rolls, shrimp crawls, back rolls, squat advances, etc. Got most of that down, but I'm sloppy as poo poo. Dunno how anyone else looked, and don't care at this point. We move into mount escapes and mounted punch defense and basically drill on that the rest of the night. Got some flows in with the assistant who gave me some good tips and such. lovely thing is that at some point, I got a cough; like something sticking in my throat so I'm having a hard time breathing most of the class. I'm also absolutely loving G A S S E D toward the end. Stayed a bit and spoke with the instructors about etiquette since I didn't want to look like a lumbering rear end in a top hat. Like literally everyone at some point came up and introduced themselves. Absolutely NOT what I was expecting and I mean that in the best way. Great atmosphere from everyone. As I'm getting more info on class times, cost, gear, etc, dude just tells me to keep the loaner gi until I buy one. What was even cooler is that they sell them there, but then apparently don't give a poo poo if you buy one from anywhere else. Sharp contrast to the TKD place I went to where EVERYTHING had to be bought from them. Wasn't necessarily more expensive, but wasn't really the best quality and I'd rather spend a little more on good poo poo.

TL;DR: BJJ was rad; this place is rad. Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm gonna have a bazillion questions, but I have indeed become dead and will post more once I am alive.
That's awesome man, hope you found a new home :3:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Sounds like you found a good one. :)

EdsTeioh posted:

Indeed. Pedro Sauer is a legendary instructor, but he's also a genuinely friendly guy who talks a lot about training for longevity and taking care of your body. His students obviously have their own personalities, but those sorts of values tend to get passed down along with the techniques, and it sounds like that's the case with this school.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh nice; I didn’t realize that thread was even there despite spending a ton of time in PSP.

We would love to have you posting in the grappling thread!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

duckdealer posted:

We would love to have you posting in the grappling thread!

What percentage of the grappling thread is BJJ discussion? I always felt like it was too specialized in that direction for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There's a fair amount of judo chat. Idk most posters do bjj, so it skews that way unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just post