Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Any advice on where to go next once you've got things semi-stabilised? Gotten my little republic reasonably stable with all the mechanics on an 'easy cosmonaut' run (Cosmonaut with Medium cash instead of Hard) but having some trouble getting my cashflow sufficiently positive to properly expand out past my initial border town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can set up a fabric and clothing factory supplying most of the inputs with domestic production except the chemicals, and the products sell for a lot so that can help maintain positive cashflow, as can some light tourism.

After that you want to expand towards a major resource deposit and look to setting up a big industry and the town to support it.

You would probably really want a rail connection to do that though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 23, 2022

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How do you guys deal with loyalty?

Even on medium cash start I can't afford to get a radio station up, and no amount of red stars seems to help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

How do you guys deal with loyalty?

Even on medium cash start I can't afford to get a radio station up, and no amount of red stars seems to help.

It should stay at around 45 ish with just monuments, I don't know if you need to build multiple types of monument but I do. That should be enough to stop escapes at least.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's what I see everyone saying, but in my experience it just doesn't. It'll hover around there for a year or two, and then for no apparent reason just plummet to 20% or so over the course of a couple months, then I quit and try again.

What I have discovered is that the invite 3rd world immigrants is a horrible trap, because they come with low loyalty and all their needs unmet, causing their loyalty to drop even further before they can stabilise their needs. But even if I don't use them at all, I still can't get a stable result.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Usually that means you have something making people unhappy which will make them lose loyalty. If all else fails perhaps lowering citizen needs reaction to medium will help? I also think a radio station should be pretty achievable with medium funding, you might need a loan or two but it should be doable.

Third worlders are OK IMO, but yeah they do come in pretty poor state, they're more of a long term investment if you have good services with slack capacity, you can just buy them in and then train them up and it will still be better than waiting for your own people to produce kids (which also need training anyway)

Question on my part: How do the new metro tracks work? Do you just connect them to the main rail line (seems doable if you connect them end to end) and can you run metro trains on normal rails/normal trains on metro rails?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Third worlders are for if you already have all your needs met but just need more workers asap. Yeah, you take an immediate happiness hit, but who cares. They only take like a month of schooling to enter the workforce as long as you have the capacity to school them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Crucially, they come out of your supply of dollars, which means that if you're low on rubles, but have the school and hospital capacity etc, they're another pool to draw from.

Pingcode posted:

Any advice on where to go next once you've got things semi-stabilised? Gotten my little republic reasonably stable with all the mechanics on an 'easy cosmonaut' run (Cosmonaut with Medium cash instead of Hard) but having some trouble getting my cashflow sufficiently positive to properly expand out past my initial border town

First, get a fuel refinery up, it's going to save you a fortune and you can sell the excess (looking at you, bitumen).

If you haven't yet, maybe drive for steel, if you can afford it anyway. Otherwise, set up a clothing factory, then try to eliminate your largest border import volume needs so that you have room.

Set up a small cargo shipyard and send piles upon piles of goods into the deep blue yonder.

The high end goal should be setting up a nuclear fuel production complex, aluminum, vehicle plants, etc. High price per ton good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclear fuel arguably is a quite good early industry because all it really needs is a bunch of university educated workers and a uranium source. Everything else you can do with a fairly small integrated complex and the immortal science of marxism-leninism. You might not be able to build the mechanical parts to go in the nucelar reactor but you can drat well smash the angry rocks together to make angrier rocks.

Every soviet child is born with an innate understanding of nuclear physics that can be unlocked by getting a degree in communism from the party headquarters.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've never got to the point of thinking about higher education, I'm assuming the three different types are just for flavour and a uni degree is just a uni degree, no matter in what?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pharnakes posted:

I've never got to the point of thinking about higher education, I'm assuming the three different types are just for flavour and a uni degree is just a uni degree, no matter in what?

At present, correct. It's unclear if this will change in the future, though I could see either way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The technical university, however, is necessary to unlock electronics and mechanical parts production.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

The technical university, however, is necessary to unlock electronics and mechanical parts production.

It's the cheapest university so I always just pick it first, I thought it was for all of them. Hum.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can set up a fabric and clothing factory supplying most of the inputs with domestic production except the chemicals, and the products sell for a lot so that can help maintain positive cashflow, as can some light tourism.

After that you want to expand towards a major resource deposit and look to setting up a big industry and the town to support it.

You would probably really want a rail connection to do that though.

Volmarias posted:

First, get a fuel refinery up, it's going to save you a fortune and you can sell the excess (looking at you, bitumen).

If you haven't yet, maybe drive for steel, if you can afford it anyway. Otherwise, set up a clothing factory, then try to eliminate your largest border import volume needs so that you have room.

Set up a small cargo shipyard and send piles upon piles of goods into the deep blue yonder.

The high end goal should be setting up a nuclear fuel production complex, aluminum, vehicle plants, etc. High price per ton good.

Cheers, getting a Fabric industry rigged up helped get income up to a more comfortable level - didn't realise just how little in the way of clothes my population actually needed vs how much even one plant could turn out at a comfortable rate.

Didn't go for a refinery straight away - that field feeding the gas power plant only just edges past 8.8t/day so I figure I'll ship whatever excess over to a bigger oilfield to process into fuel and bitumen. Coal and Iron's pretty far off so that's a project for once I have a proper refining industry up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah clothing is a super good tertiary industry even if you buy in all the components, although a crop field can help for sure, transforms labour into cash and can be quite easily serviced just with trucks. I usually go with a pair of clothes factories and a fabric factory all surrounding a warehouse with a road cargo station connected to it, can all be serviced from the road station or the warehouse if needs be and with a bit of pedestrian tunnelling or careful layout you can feed it all from a bus station.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Only challenge seems to be getting the logistics right for the farm cycle - might have to sit down with a calculator to properly figure out how many fields I need rather than the muddle of clustered buildings I've got right now

One thing I've just noticed that I wish I'd noticed sooner is that the game still bills you for delivery when you order vehicles on Cosmonaut mode - a 10k truck might still bill you another 20k for the fumes in the tank and the convenience of a pre-set order to drive from the border - better to just buy them at the customs office and bulk-rebase them to wherever you need them to go.

(What also follows is that it's more economical to draw a mud road out and manually order your vehicles to their destination even if you do have teleportation available)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What you can do is use DOs to handle overflow, so build a big pile of crop storage and then set a DO to sell the crops if the tanks go above 80%.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pingcode posted:

One thing I've just noticed that I wish I'd noticed sooner is that the game still bills you for delivery when you order vehicles on Cosmonaut mode - a 10k truck might still bill you another 20k for the fumes in the tank and the convenience of a pre-set order to drive from the border - better to just buy them at the customs office and bulk-rebase them to wherever you need them to go.

gently caress, I didn't realize this. I thought they came at the stated price, since they immediately stop for gas afterwards.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

gently caress, I didn't realize this. I thought they came at the stated price, since they immediately stop for gas afterwards.

Sorry! I just double checked and I was wrong - it doesn't bill you more than the nominal cost regardless of Realism mode. I think I just got thrown off while planning out multiple things at once

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Log082 posted:

Why is such a small thing making me so happy?

Because building tracks is a pain in the rear end so any QoL making it less so is a blessing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A fun thing I have discovered is that you can set helicopter COs to draw stuff from the beyond the border, and they will literally just fly from the job site to the nearest border and load up and then fly back, so as long as you can shovel fuel into the helicopter CO they are actually quite good at getting materials to the job sites anywhere on the map.

It's especially good for stuff that is slow to load but low value like gravel for roads.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 29, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Your starting zone looks awesome. I really love how the game mechanics lend themselves to natural (walkable) human development patterns.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

A fun thing I have discovered is that you can set helicopter COs to draw stuff from the beyond the border, and they will literally just fly from the job site to the nearest border and load up and then fly back, so as long as you can shovel fuel into the helicopter CO they are actually quite good at getting materials to the job sites anywhere on the map.

It's especially good for stuff that is slow to load but low value like gravel for roads.

Ahh yes, helicopters, the well known efficient means of transporting gravel:thunk:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Ahh yes, helicopters, the well known efficient means of transporting gravel:thunk:

Is boron gravel?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Enjoy your surgical grade gravel or whatever instead of just loading it into a truck.

Honestly the truck itself is probably cheaper than the fuel you'll burn to fly off the map and back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cheaper quite possibly, but the trucks are bottlenecked by my ability to get workers to the roads.

I am, in fact, using a 70 tonne V-12 helicopter which burns about 5 tonnes of fuel a minute to deliver gravel to roads because trucks cannot leave it in heaps, but the helicopters can.

I am making my own fuel and I have lots of cashflow, I do not care about efficiency, I just want it done. If I could I would build some sort of nuclear powered railgun to fire gravel and bulldozers across the map.

They cost about a million and a half rubles each but by god do they shift some cargo.

They are also real, they only build one IRL but it was intended to be able to carry an entire ICBM.

E: wait no I think they actually consume about 50 tonnes of fuel per refill so that might be more like 10-15 tonnes per minute lol

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 30, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Cheaper quite possibly, but the trucks are bottlenecked by my ability to get workers to the roads.

I am, in fact, using a 70 tonne V-12 helicopter which burns about 5 tonnes of fuel a minute to deliver gravel to roads because trucks cannot leave it in heaps, but the helicopters can.

I am making my own fuel and I have lots of cashflow, I do not care about efficiency, I just want it done. If I could I would build some sort of nuclear powered railgun to fire gravel and bulldozers across the map.

They cost about a million and a half rubles each but by god do they shift some cargo.

They are also real, they only build one IRL but it was intended to be able to carry an entire ICBM.

E: wait no I think they actually consume about 50 tonnes of fuel per refill so that might be more like 10-15 tonnes per minute lol

10-15t per mi- you realize that's 1t 4-6s, or splitting the difference about 0.2t/sec?

For a base price of 1.5m???

:psybucks:

Also I'm not really sure what you mean by trucks being unable to leave it in heaps, they'll show up and vomit a line of gravel down the roadway. I can understand not wanting to wait for construction, sure, but this feels excessive.

Also, if you haven't set up a helicopter loading pad for your materials and you're just going to the border :wtf:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be thinking of asphalt, the trucks park up waiting for the paver but the helicopters can dump it out.

Also I have loading pads for everything (except concrete, no space) it's just that it takes a long time to load things, especially gravel, and it's a helicopter, so it can literally just fly anywhere and it loads instantly when it gets to the border and the border has infinite capacity to load helicopters. You're not loading from the actual border crossing, you're doing the beyond the borders thing where the craft just leaves the map and comes back fully loaded, except with helicopters that happens quite quickly especially if you want to build things like highways across the country. I started out loading from my own supply and then realized that I was spending so much time waiting for the helis to load that it was quicker and easier to just have them fly to the magic gravel dimension that exists just off the map and come back fully loaded. Especially when if they spend time hovering waiting for a free pad that's burning tremendous amounts of fuel without achieving anything.

That's the thing, it's worth loading expensive goods if you produce them domestically, but a lot of the basic construction materials are so cheap to buy that you arguably are better off just loading from the border. The money you save doing it domestically is peanuts compared to the actual volume of throughput you can achieve by buying it from the border and taking advantage of its infinite loading capacity.

You could honestly do the same trick with MI-10s if you wanted to, they're probably about the same in terms of poo poo carried/cost/fuel economy you just need more actual helipads to house them because they're about a third of the price/haulage/capacity. Although you probably don't need to plumb the helipad directly into the fuel refinery like I did because the DO couldn't keep up with how fast the V12s drain the 60T tank on the helipad lmao.

I'm still making money, I'm actually making more money than I really know what to do with so built another helicopter yard with a fleet of 7 MI8s that do nothing except shovel construction workers into everything, it works really well (I would also load these from the border but foreign workers are a finite supply, so I have a helipad for this instead)

I now think I need to spend another few million on more V-12s so I can shovel resources into constructions even faster. I want to get the basis for the proper capital laid out and I hate waiting for the trucks to get there, so everything is going to be built by helicopters except the fiddly bits I can't land them at, and the bulldozer yard so I can start landscaping.

E: If I throw enough money at the technical university they should be able to build me the ships from highfleet so I can run the entire republic on aircraft.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 1, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got the beginnings of the capital laid out. I want to put a big touristy bit on the shore with a boat dock and some hotels and beaches, I wanted to have the central sunken highway to give basically a second connection point for road cargo, closer to the shore (bottom left of image) and also I think I will end up putting a road left around the mountain to access an aluminium depost and factory that's probably going to go there.

Definitely doing this a lot more planned out than I usually do and looking to put a super high density block around the big train station on the right, as well as I would like to have a big shopping center that is linked directly to a rail fed warehouse so I can try to cut out as much of the truck traffic as I can for the city, hopefully that can also serve as a local distribution point for things like orphanages etc.

I would really, super duper like to have an underground loading bay addon that works like a road cargo station (or rail) but which uses the helipad attachment system, so you can basically just add it to any other building. Big dumb engineering projects like that should be totally things you can do, the new TBMs actually make long distance train tunneling quite doable, as the TBM does a huge amount of the work and doesn't consume labour or need to do runs back and forth. Also going to try putting in a proper metro system, which I might see if I can make work as an actual alternative to having everyone served with local shops. We will see!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Is it just me or is the game running slower now? It's gotten to the point now where I leave it running when I'm doing chores around the house and outside, and I just stop back every hour or so to throw down new build orders and only a few months have passed in that hour.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone know what happens with unused, bought, foreign labor?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know they just sit in the truck until they time out like a normal worker.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

i meant in terms of cost :p

as in do you pay full price for 40 laborers to provide 2 workdays worth of work?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

double nine posted:

i meant in terms of cost :p

as in do you pay full price for 40 laborers to provide 2 workdays worth of work?

I don't know, but it's actually relatively cheap. I've been bussing in foreign workers for the oil refinery, which needs a ton of bodies but per person is far more valuable than what you pay. The cost of foreign workers doesn't even crack the top 10 of my import costs, I wouldn't worry about it much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think once you pick them up you've paid for them, but I admit I haven't tested because yeah, they're quite cheap.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks has anyone gotten W&R working on Steam Deck? It's not shown as playable that I could find and I'm getting my deck this week. Help much appreciated.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks has anyone gotten W&R working on Steam Deck? It's not shown as playable that I could find and I'm getting my deck this week. Help much appreciated.

I dono how much it will transfer but I play in Linux. With proton 7, just click windows 7 instead of 10 in the launcher.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SwimNurd posted:

I dono how much it will transfer but I play in Linux. With proton 7, just click windows 7 instead of 10 in the launcher.

Thanks. I am the least of Linux people, so I'll see what I can do :) At least I know it's doable, thanks again.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do railway tracks tend to crash the game for anyone else when connecting to existing (planned) rail?

for whatever reason planning railway crossroads are the most stressful part of the game in terms of stability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

do railway tracks tend to crash the game for anyone else when connecting to existing (planned) rail?

for whatever reason planning railway crossroads are the most stressful part of the game in terms of stability

Specifically I have had a number of crashes related to railway CO pathfinding yes, generally it is tied to a specific bit of planned rail which if you delete it and re-lay it it might fix it, you can diagnose it by suspending the rail CO job search and clearing all jobs and see if it refrains from crashing.

I also had issues where tram tracks connected to the rail network would result in it assigning rail construction jobs to normal COs, I think the rail pathfinding in general is a bit unstable because of the addition of trams and the ability for trains to reverse into sections when pathfinding.