Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

downout posted:

C++ webdev sounds so gross.

i would hope facebook c++ devs are focusing more on stuff like implementing HHVM and less on actually writing web services in c++, but frankly their whole stack sounds like cancer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i would hope facebook c++ devs are focusing more on stuff like implementing HHVM and less on actually writing web services in c++, but frankly their whole stack sounds like cancer to me.
The web tier is all in HHVM and that's all PHP but I guess there's C++ folks working on optimizing the JIT parts because the web tier is by far their biggest set of hosts (I think they have over 300k?) so they really need good perf out of those; improving perf by 1% means ~3000 fewer hosts needed.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

downout posted:

C++ webdev sounds so gross.

That's why we have Rust and WebAssembly.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Out of curiosity, what sort of jobs do c++ programmers go after if they’re chasing TC?

Roblox

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Out of curiosity, what sort of jobs do c++ programmers go after if they’re chasing TC?

Google has lots of C++

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the pecking order for looking at jobs these days, seems like there are three categories, at least from what I can tell

1) Responding to recruiters that have figured out your personal email address
2) Responding to linked in recruiters
3) uh, cold-calling applications

Seems like

#1) pretty much guaranteed to slot you into an interview funnel, unless you're particularly daft/your linkedin does not match what you've been doing the last 5 years
#2) slightly wider net, 85% chance guaranteed to slot you into an interview funnel, see above
#3) i've never tried this, sounds like it sucks, low return rate

Option 1a) reach out to your network, get a referral; done this for a long time, my network is now far and wide due to covid

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

What is the pecking order for looking at jobs these days, seems like there are three categories, at least from what I can tell

1) Responding to recruiters that have figured out your personal email address
2) Responding to linked in recruiters
3) uh, cold-calling applications

Seems like

#1) pretty much guaranteed to slot you into an interview funnel, unless you're particularly daft/your linkedin does not match what you've been doing the last 5 years
#2) slightly wider net, 85% chance guaranteed to slot you into an interview funnel, see above
#3) i've never tried this, sounds like it sucks, low return rate

Option 1a) reach out to your network, get a referral; done this for a long time, my network is now far and wide due to covid

For LinkedIn specifically:
Hiring manager reaching out >> internal recruiters reaching out >> contracted recruiters reaching out >> agency without an agreement reaching out

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
In my experience, 1a is the absolute top of that. I’ve had the pleasure of working with some very smart people, who have gotten in at very good companies, and a referral is an almost guaranteed in (as long as the person thinks you’re worth referring and doesn’t just say they’ll pass your resume along).

You still have to be able to do well at the interview, of course - your network can get your foot in the door and may even get you the benefit of the doubt in an uncertain situation but you’ve got to do the rest yourself.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

leper khan posted:

contracted recruiters reaching out >> agency without an agreement reaching out

How do you differentiate between those two?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Sign posted:

How do you differentiate between those two?

Whether they name their client in their initial message, as opposed to “a leading company in $industry”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was chatting with a meta/facebook recruiter and he mentioned in passing that a IC5 maps to an M0 role :confused:

Does that mean you can move to management track laterally if you meet XYZ criteria and the stars align, or they share the same pay grade (levels.fyi does not agree with this statement, i think?) or is there something else, or was he talking out of his rear end

Maybe M0 is like a tech lead?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if meta is like google, tech lead isn't a job title in the levels sense. for us, the line managers are generally L5 or L6. they can be full management track or they can be ICs that are doing the TLM (tech lead manager) thing

importantly, "TLM" should really be "IC+manager", not "tech lead+manager"

you can also be a tech lead that doesn't do any people management. my TL used to be that way, but he switched to being a TLM. he's not my manager - he and I share a manager

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
One word of warning about working for Meta: IC really means "independent contributor". Nobody tells you what to do, it's up to you to choose the most impactful thing you can do at the company, and just go do it. Even your manager can't really force you to do any specific work, they can just hang carrots in front of you.

It's very liberating for some types of engineers. The leash comes off, they can go heads down and create something amazing. However if you need structure, if you lack project management skills, if you lack the soft skills needed to rally others to your cause, then that kind of environment is not a good fit.

For managers, it's hell. Because every day is a sales pitch to your team to get stuff done. Every manager needs to do that to some extent... but at Meta it's like that all the time.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I wish I didn't hate that poor excuse for an android and everything he represents, because that sounds neat. A polar opposite from my current experience of endless micromanagement

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Hadlock posted:

I was chatting with a meta/facebook recruiter and he mentioned in passing that a IC5 maps to an M0 role :confused:

Does that mean you can move to management track laterally if you meet XYZ criteria and the stars align, or they share the same pay grade (levels.fyi does not agree with this statement, i think?) or is there something else, or was he talking out of his rear end

Maybe M0 is like a tech lead?

Technically IC5 = M0 in pay, but I have never heard of anyone coming in as an M0 for a tech role (SWE, PM, EE, etc). It's an exception rather than a rule that someone already at the company will be able to shift to management below IC6/M1, and M0 is reserved usually for weird situations in tech roles or for non-tech roles.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

For people looking for opportunities from US => EU, are there particular resources that are good for that? Visa implications means I'd want to secure a job to help with the paperwork, but this is a new world for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You want to find a company that will sponsor an H1B visa. This is a lot harder than it was pre-2016, visas have been locked down pretty hard because reasons, and biden hasn't been in much of a mood to reverse things since he took over from trump

If you can claim Australian citizenship you might qualify for a E3 visa. About half of my company in 2016 was there on an E3 visa because magic loopholes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My reading was they wanted to move from the US to the EU, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh

The absolute, wildest loophole I've seen is called the DAFT visa, Dutch-American Friendship Treaty, which dates back to 1956 and predates the EU by a lot so it's grandfathered in

Basically (hand waving begins) you can put $5000 usd (about $55,000 USD back in 1956, but the treaty doesn't adjust the amount based on inflation) in a dutch bank and they will grant you a visa where you can become a contractor, and then use that as a leaping-off point

If you're single, there are an alarming number of people who meet someone on holiday, and then get civil-union-ed, and then can apply for a work visa

If your spouse holds citizenship in Colombia, Argentina, Peru, Chile they can immigrate to spain because reasons, and then you can come in on a spouse visa

What's your timeline and how many europeans do you have as family members? Things get a lot easier if you had a parent or grandparent who held european citizenship

Buying land in portugal is still one of the easiest/best ways to get EU citizenship

I would look at the geopolitical landscape in January/February and reevaluate your plans

Mexico will grant you what's effectively a "rich gringo" visa with almost no restrictions, if you just want to get out of the country. It's I think $75 and you just need to book an appointment at a local consulate

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I moved with my family from the US to the EU (Sweden) in 2017 and the visa process was 100% handled by the company (who mostly contracted the work out to Deloitte). Dealing with the Swedish bureaucracy once we got here was a pain, but the company also employs people to help navigate that. My advice is to land a job at a big company that hires internationally on a regular basis so they’ll be equipped to handle it for you - since this is the “old programmer” thread they shouldn’t have any problem proving to the local government that you’re a specialized tech worker, there’s almost always a fast track in for people like us.

Practically, I would heed the earlier advice about checking the political landscape; there’s a few pockets of growing anti-immigrant sentiment across Europe. Being from the US will probably get you a pass but if you’re of middle eastern descent (or even a dark-skinned latino) you may get stares from the locals. I’m a generic white dude and even I’ve heard the “those drat immigrants / oh, not YOU, you’re one of the good ones” line.

Also, as long as you’re a US citizen you have to file your US taxes and making money in the EU complicates that. If your destination country doesn’t have a tax treaty with the US y our will be double-taxes.

Be prepared to take a pay cut; I went from $80k TC to $35k TC (my offer was even lower). Probably an extreme case and I’ve clawed a big chunk of that back but my general advice is “don’t work in video games”.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

“don’t work in video games”.

this could be the thread title

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Guinness posted:

this could be the thread title

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if you are young enough there are a bunch of EU countries with "youth mobility visas" that will allow you to move for a year or two without securing a job first. Most of them are available to people under 30, and some for people under 35.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My reading was they wanted to move from the US to the EU, though.

This is correct. I've been in Denmark for the past month and can really see myself prospering here in a way that I haven't felt in a long time.

I have no real familial connections to a Danish background, but have been working in development for almost a decade. Also am super white (to the degree that people here assume I'm Danish at first lol) so that would make things easier.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve honestly considered emigrating to the EU, probably Spain since I speak (incredibly rusty) Español latinoamericano. Or Italy through my dad, except it went fash again so mmm nah.

I dunno how many European countries would welcome a computer-touching trans woman but there’s gotta be at least one right? :v:

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Or Italy through my dad, except it went fash again so mmm nah.

Yeah, my dad's side is also Italian but lmao at going there now.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

If you're looking to eventually side-load into Europe and you're American, consider Ireland. On the Critical Skills Occupations List under Employment Category 213 (Information Technology and Telecommunications Professionals), there are web dev and software development categories. There is a test for a relevant degree qualification, though, so you're looking at a bachelors degree as a requirement unless the annual remuneration is over €64,000. For Critical Skills jobs, you work for two years (at least one year with the initial employer) and then you are allowed to work any job as long as you behave yourself. After 60 months of residency, you can apply for long-term residence (i.e. a green card). Dependents/partners/spouses are allowed to receive employment permits immediately once you get your Critical Skills visa, and they have no restrictions on what type of jobs they can work.

Of course, if you have a grandparent that was born in Ireland, you can skip all that because you are entitled to an Irish passport.

You could also just say "screw this" and buy citizenship and a passport for St. Lucia in the Caribbean for 100,000 USD (or 150K for yourself, your spouse, and two dependents).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Flaming June posted:

Yeah, my dad's side is also Italian but lmao at going there now.

The entire subcontinent is going full fash but it's not like that's a gigantic difference with the USA so I wouldn't let that part bother you too much, especially if you're white. Who knows, you might be able to help a bit with local counter-effort instead.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Osmosisch posted:

The entire subcontinent is going full fash but it's not like that's a gigantic difference with the USA so I wouldn't let that part bother you too much, especially if you're white. Who knows, you might be able to help a bit with local counter-effort instead.

Once again, being white in name and appearance prevails :cool:

:smith:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve honestly considered emigrating to the EU, probably Spain since I speak (incredibly rusty) Español latinoamericano. Or Italy through my dad, except it went fash again so mmm nah.

I dunno how many European countries would welcome a computer-touching trans woman but there’s gotta be at least one right? :v:

Aside from Berlusconi, most Italian PM's last between 1 and 3 years, so it'll change again soon.

Though hopefully not to Berlusconi, whose public service ban ended and has found his way back into the Italian Senate. Crooked fucker. He's part of the coalition that chose the fascist.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pollyanna posted:

If you are a computer toucher and land a job before moving, basically any and all of them? I worked at an software company in Norway for a year where half of the employees were people the company had helped emigrate as part of the hiring process.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

minato posted:

One word of warning about working for Meta: IC really means "independent contributor". Nobody tells you what to do, it's up to you to choose the most impactful thing you can do at the company, and just go do it. Even your manager can't really force you to do any specific work, they can just hang carrots in front of you.

It's very liberating for some types of engineers. The leash comes off, they can go heads down and create something amazing. However if you need structure, if you lack project management skills, if you lack the soft skills needed to rally others to your cause, then that kind of environment is not a good fit.

For managers, it's hell. Because every day is a sales pitch to your team to get stuff done. Every manager needs to do that to some extent... but at Meta it's like that all the time.

This doesn't match my experience.

I'm currently an IC at meta and have had lots of support from my manager and am enjoying it a lot. Sample size 1 though of course. You do code alone 99% of the time which took me some adjusting to. If you love pair programming or meetings you'd have a hard time. I went from 3 meetings per day at my old job to 3 meetings per week.

You make it sound like you and your manager have opposing goals when in reality your incentives are aligned and both manager and IC want the IC to have impact and get promoted. If your manager was trying to sell you on crappy projects that sounds like you had a bad manager.

I'm improving a lot faster at programming because I'm not juggling programming, PM, and management tasks. Basically all the bullshit work is handled by someone or something else and you get to focus on the cool poo poo. Also loving the free food and programming books. Before this year I'd never read a programming book cover to cover and this year I've read 3 or 4.

Part of this might be a bit of a big tech honey moon phase but so far so good.

I do agree that it seems like a tough place to be a manager, I definitely want to stay on the IC track.

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 1, 2022

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Curious what level you were at? At IC5 I had enough meetings that it was difficult to code for extended periods of time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every tech major is a patchwork suzerainty of a thousand fiefdoms from hundreds of acquisitions and tens of thousands of instances of managerial megalomania

never generalize beyond sub-orgs of 100 peeps in tech-land imo

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

e: wrong thread

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 1, 2022

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Flaming June posted:

This is correct. I've been in Denmark for the past month and can really see myself prospering here in a way that I haven't felt in a long time.

I have no real familial connections to a Danish background, but have been working in development for almost a decade. Also am super white (to the degree that people here assume I'm Danish at first lol) so that would make things easier.

There are plenty of tech companies of various sizes in Copenhagen that will sponsor you for the “pay limit scheme” visa and it’s not too complicated. I think you need to apply from your home country though.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

tortilla_chip posted:

Curious what level you were at? At IC5 I had enough meetings that it was difficult to code for extended periods of time.

ic4

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every tech major is a patchwork suzerainty of a thousand fiefdoms from hundreds of acquisitions and tens of thousands of instances of managerial megalomania

never generalize beyond sub-orgs of 100 peeps in tech-land imo
when i started the manager across the hall had daily dropdown 1:1's with every team member. I had my first 1:1 uhh... 5 years in? give or take a month I guess. there's vastly different cultures and styles

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Meta hiring freeze officially in effect now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

It was fun while it lasted.