Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well you can certainly think that way, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The world isn't going to be fixed by a bunch of old people.

The world would fix itself without humanity.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It has worth because humanity.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Byzantine posted:

The world would fix itself without humanity.

So start fixing it if that's what you really think

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

"I'm feeling the guilt of existence!"
- the only things capable of feeling that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

A baby born in any place they can sit around reading SA posts is going to have largely the same life your generation did.

My man they have the internet in poor countries too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dividing the world into basically fine first world countries where everybody is doing OK, and countries from the UNICEF ads where everybody spends all their time starving to death and wishing the people from the good countries would donate money so they could build a well, it's both inaccurate and racist.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

My man they have the internet in poor countries too

Yeah you're right

Just oodles of goons posting from Pakistan and Sub-Saharan Africa

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Climate disasters are increasing. At the same time, the US government's ability/willingness to respond to disasters is declining.

If you think that the the mere fact that someone lives in the USA means they are safe from ever having to live in a climate refugee camp, the next decade is going to be pretty surprising for you.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

If you think that the the mere fact that someone lives in the USA means they are safe from ever having to live in a climate refugee camp, the next decade is going to be pretty surprising for you.

This is straight up delusional

Like not even slightly grounded in any kind of reality, not even if you squint at it just right. Where in the world are you getting the idea that you are going to live in a climate refugee camp? Like what was the actual fact that you read/saw that made your brain form this idea?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol if you don't think the US government will fiddle around in the inevitable wars started over water and displaced people around the world and then get caught up and institute a draft or some poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah you're right

Just oodles of goons posting from Pakistan and Sub-Saharan Africa

Ok serious question do you think people in Pakistan don't have the internet.

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is straight up delusional

Like not even slightly grounded in any kind of reality, not even if you squint at it just right. Where in the world are you getting the idea that you are going to live in a climate refugee camp? Like what was the actual fact that you read/saw that made your brain form this idea?

Look at Puerto Rico. Like seriously, look into of the news coming out of Puerto Rico right now. Increased disasters combined with reduced government response. It's inevitable that parts of the mainland US will get the Puerto Rico experience in the coming years.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Ok serious question do you think people in Pakistan don't have the internet.

I was just suggesting that SA is overwhelmingly peopled with residents of NA and Europe.

Gripweed posted:

Look at Puerto Rico. Like seriously, look into of the news coming out of Puerto Rico right now. Increased disasters combined with reduced government response. It's inevitable that parts of the mainland US will get the Puerto Rico experience in the coming years.

Puerto Rico has been in the lane of major hurricanes for all of recorded history, including many stronger ones. You could have pointed to PR at any time in the last hundred years and said the same thing. No part of the mainland US will get the Puerto Rico experience in the coming years.

One thing you can always, always count on is doomsday prophets telling you the world is about to end. They were dumb five hundred years ago and they are even dumber now. Yeah, climate change is like the number one priority for us as a species, but the world isn't ending any time soon. I wonder how many people thinking the boogeyman is about to get them have untreated anxiety disorders.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The world didn't end when that asteroid slammed into the Yucatan either, but the dinosaurs still had a bad time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

I was just suggesting that SA is overwhelmingly peopled with residents of NA and Europe.

Puerto Rico has been in the lane of major hurricanes for all of recorded history, including many stronger ones. You could have pointed to PR at any time in the last hundred years and said the same thing. No part of the mainland US will get the Puerto Rico experience in the coming years.

One thing you can always, always count on is doomsday prophets telling you the world is about to end. They were dumb five hundred years ago and they are even dumber now. Yeah, climate change is like the number one priority for us as a species, but the world isn't ending any time soon. I wonder how many people thinking the boogeyman is about to get them have untreated anxiety disorders.

The problem is not that Puerto Rico got hit by a hurricane, the problem is that the scam company hired to repair the electrical grid after the last hurricane didn't do a good job. So now the entire island is out of power once again with no timetable for when it will be back. That kinda poo poo is coming to the rest of the country. Look at Jacksonville, where the drinking water is dark brown and toxic. There's no plan to fix that either.

The ability of the United States government to provide basic services, electricity, water, and sewage, to the people is breaking down. And the increase in natural disasters means that the currently existing systems are going to keep breaking. It will take longer and longer to repair them, the quality of the repairs will get worse and break again, and the number of places that are tacitly just given up on will increase.

That doesn't mean the world is ending. Not at all. The world will keep going on and you will keep living in it. But it will get worse, and you will have to deal with that.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well, agree to disagree I suppose, but just so you know...

Gripweed posted:

But it will get worse, and you will have to deal with that.

I will not have to deal with that and neither will you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Okay everyone, let's have your unpopular opinions on which cheese is the all-around best.

I'll start: it's mozzarella, obviously.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blue cheese.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Sep 27, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's muenster

one day we'll all be huddled around the oil drum reminiscing about when we had muenster to eat and not just rat cheese

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vermont cheddar if we're talking limited availability

That Dubliner cheese that Kerrygold sells if we're talking about stuff you can buy anywhere

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 26, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Camembert.

Caveat: I've not had the real poo poo that they can't ship out of France, I can only imagine that's somehow better.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is the most peaceful and secure time to be a human being in the history of the species, with some ups and downs on a short-term scale

Sorry to break it to you but the world is not ending (this sentence needed to be told to someone every year since humans gained the ability to communicate)

You understand that nuclear threats have been made within the past week, right? At this point, I'd feel lucky to be around long enough to be taken out by climate change.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not nuclear threats! Truly an absolutely unique and novel thing to happen, especially between Russia and the US.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Maybe but also maybe people should wait for bad things to happen before they say those bad things are happening, especially if they don't have any power to stop said thing even if it was an imminent threat

I mean are you actively preparing for a nuclear strike to your living room? If you believe it is going to happen, why aren't you?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Maybe but also maybe people should wait for bad things to happen before they say those bad things are happening, especially if they don't have any power to stop said thing even if it was an imminent threat

I mean are you actively preparing for a nuclear strike to your living room? If you believe it is going to happen, why aren't you?

EDIT: I'm just mad that you're probably right.

And excuse me, my anxiety disorder is perfectly treated thank you!

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Sep 26, 2022

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah there is something in the lizard portion of the human brain which psychologically draws people to these stories. For similar example, history is littered with people claiming that 'We are going to run out of resource X!' and they almost always get it wrong.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuclear winter will cancel out global warming, at least.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Makes you almost wish...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Opinion That's Actually Not At All Unpopular Unless You're Talking To Americans: It's "blue vein cheese" or "blue cheese" for short. Not "bleu".

Manager Hoyden posted:

How? :crossarms:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Do you really need to ask this? If you actually, truly believed that your death by nuclear fire was imminent, you would tear rear end to another part of the world. You'd drop your job and at least take your family and loved ones to the wilderness away from any targets you could think of

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Most people who are like that just end up killing their family and then themselves.

You know, as you do.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do you really need to ask this? If you actually, truly believed that your death by nuclear fire was imminent, you would tear rear end to another part of the world. You'd drop your job and at least take your family and loved ones to the wilderness away from any targets you could think of

Mate, what?

"Just move if you think things will get worse!" is like some supreme levels of "things can't actually get that bad" ideas. I understand it, but having hope that things can get better does not mean they will.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

Mate, what?

"Just move if you think things will get worse!" is like some supreme levels of "things can't actually get that bad" ideas. I understand it, but having hope that things can get better does not mean they will.

I know you have certain things that you (general you, not you personally) are semiconciously waiting to hear so you can make an argument you've had prepared and used before

What you read was "if you think your situation is bad, just move"; something the slimier of economic liberals tend to say. And of course the response is something along the lines of "not everyone can move". That would be applicable if we were talking about something like jobs, wage stagnation or bad infrastructure or culture degradation. We're not. We're talking about imminent death. Whether a person believes they are about to die due to something they believe is about to happen.

Replace "nuclear war" with something like "a guy with a shotgun". If you honestly believed a guy with a shotgun was coming to shotgun you and your family to death, you wouldn't say "hmm well my family needs me and also it costs a lot to move so I'm gonna stay". You would run. Everyone would run.

But that's not happening is it? You can conclude one of two things from this: The person does not actually believe nuclear war is imminent OR the person believes nuclear war is imminent and wants to die (or at least believes their lives and the lives of their loved ones are not worth preservation)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Third conclusion: there's nowhere to run.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Sep 27, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Personally I hope it gets everybody except me.

Barring that: https://youtu.be/frAEmhqdLFs

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

But that's not happening is it? You can conclude one of two things from this: The person does not actually believe nuclear war is imminent OR the person believes nuclear war is imminent and wants to die (or at least believes their lives and the lives of their loved ones are not worth preservation)

You can't move from imminent death in the case of full blown nuclear war. You would probably be better off running toward the mushroom cloud at that particular point because life is only going to get less fun and possibly more painful from here on out.

A guy with a shotgun is a single threat, not the end of the world as we know it. Its a more immediate and, to put it bluntly, solvable problem. It's the same idea as the one you have about climate change "ultimately it's something we can deal with" is only possible if you ignore a tonne of stuff around the way that scientists are talking about it. The idea that all of our problems can be solved and it's just doom saying to posit otherwise is not necessarily accurate.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Do you believe nuclear bombs are a thing that will destroy an entire planet, like in a sci-fi movie or something?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do you believe nuclear bombs are a thing that will destroy an entire planet, like in a sci-fi movie or something?

No. Do I believe that it will mean the end of any world I can comfortably survive in, on a country that is small enough that nowhere will not be irradiated? Yes.

I gave up the idea I could survive the destruction of the means by which I have food and water a while back.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
nuke chat is deeply tedious because there's always several people who have never looked at a map of projected fallout impact. if you cannot afford to move to chile that's valid but it is the concrete possibility being raised, goonsire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Literally yesterday Manager Hoyden was saying that weather disasters don't happen to white people countries and today a hurricane is currently on course to cause historic destruction to Tampa.

Manager Hoyden I desperately need you to stop saying nuclear war isn't imminent