Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sounds fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And that is how a flimsy seemingly ill-thought thru good-for-the-children rule gets used as cover for the sex criminals who thought it up. You thought Japan had a problem with people who are fetishising panties and train molestation? Imagine that types reaction to an English patterned boarding school.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Love to have my some greasy nerd inspect my underwear because he won the class election nobody cares about.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lady Disdain posted:

American ?
Head girl = school captain; student elected leader of the student council (student body president in the US, maybe ?) (this one should be familiar to most people just because of Harry Potter)
Head of house = students are divided into a number of groups called houses (like teams within a school ? Think Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, etc.). Each house has leaders (2 leaders per house at my school)
House mother = the adult responsible for taking care of boarding students outside of school hours, ie. substitute parent.

We're not talking about boarding schools here re: Japan though.

I assume enforcement involves PE where people in fact see your underwear while you charge.

It's just an insane level of control, though.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Sep 23, 2022

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's just an insane level of control, though.

This is also an institution that may force you to dye your hair black even if it’s naturally just brown. At best the more hardass schools just require proof it’s naturally that exotic shade of dark brown.

“The nail that sticks up gets hammered down. “

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

American ?
Head girl = school captain; student elected leader of the student council (student body president in the US, maybe ?) (this one should be familiar to most people just because of Harry Potter)
Head of house = students are divided into a number of groups called houses (like teams within a school ? Think Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, etc.). Each house has leaders (2 leaders per house at my school)
House mother = the adult responsible for taking care of boarding students outside of school hours, ie. substitute parent.

Thanks for the explanation, although I was mostly trying to provoke a few sensible chuckles. The titles do have a weird fantasy book ring to outsiders like me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Weirdest thing to me is when foreign schools have "sickbays".

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Thanks for the explanation, although I was mostly trying to provoke a few sensible chuckles. The titles do have a weird fantasy book ring to outsiders like me.
All the weird structure and pointless cruelty in Harry Potter that seems fantastical is actually just a reflection of real UK boarding schools.

If I'm reading that earlier comment right, Japan does 'house' groupings? That's surprising to me since I thought it was idiosyncratically British and I'd have expected post WWII Japan to have mostly imported US conventions

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Foxfire_ posted:

All the weird structure and pointless cruelty in Harry Potter that seems fantastical is actually just a reflection of real UK boarding schools.

If I'm reading that earlier comment right, Japan does 'house' groupings? That's surprising to me since I thought it was idiosyncratically British and I'd have expected post WWII Japan to have mostly imported US conventions

That person was talking about their experience in Australia.

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That person was talking about their experience in Australia.

Which would be part of Japan if the Empire had had their way 80 years (and a few months) ago.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If the underwear isn't white it's confiscated and placed in one of the many used panty vending machines you can find in Japan.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So we're pushing for resuming the nuclear bombing campaign of the 1940's.
All right, all right.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
What a concept: " Family Of NJ Grandmother Anguished Over Man Recorded Urinating On Her Grave"
"For months now, a Bergen County man has routinely visited a cemetery just across the New York state line and urinated on the grave of a woman he was briefly married to nearly 50 years ago, her survivors say. "

With color picture depicting man urinating on a grave, in case the concept was unclear.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/morris/news/family-of-nj-grandmother-anguished-over-man-recorded-urinating-on-her-grave/844555/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'd say she's pissing on him from beyond the grave if he's still nursing that wound for over 50 years. Jesus.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Someday I hope to develop that kinda dedication to something, drat.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Jacobin is probably cheating but w/e

https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1573096052252712960

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly? I would've been numbered among them.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Depressed after watching nearly 80 people get crushed at the Yarmouth bridge collapse, I go to see a doctor. Doctor says treatment is simple, a clown and his four geese are in town…

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Where did you get the bathtub?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Back in the 19th century, staged train collisions were a popular form of entertainment https://owlcation.com/humanities/Head-On-Train-Crashes-as-Entertainment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thinking man's demolition derby.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nottherealaborn posted:

Depressed after watching nearly 80 people get crushed at the Yarmouth bridge collapse, I go to see a doctor. Doctor says treatment is simple, a clown and his four geese are in town…

Luckily there's less than 79 people in the village now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DVNJr/status/1574130879533817859

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jeremy Corbyn played a version of 'Doom' that lets you 'kill Thatcher'

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

PROTIP: Shoot capitalism until it dies.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Wolf3D would have been a more fitting choice surely.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Captainsalami posted:

Someday I hope to develop that kinda dedication to something, drat.

Id pay money to do it on Trump's grave when the day comes.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yep. This guy wasn't even short, 5'10" is average height.

Now he has the confidence to wear velour track suits! He looks happy though, I hope he's happy. I had a lot of orthopedic surgery for club feet as a kid, and that would be a terrible thing to go through as an adult.

Dang. Spending a year on crutches for 3-6 inches.

What gets me is that this guy paid all this money to go from 5'10" to 6'1". Like... that's not that big of a jump dude, you just spent $75 k and eight months being crippled to gain the height of a credit card (the long way across).

Edit: Wow, I was way farther behind than I thought. Sorry about that.

Viscous Soda has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Sep 27, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Makes me think of some twisted reimagining of Daredevil villain Stilt-Man. Instead of a mechanical suit with telescoping legs he's a guy that tortures and cripples himself to have taller and taller legs until he towers over everyone but still has his regular body.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lobok posted:

Makes me think of some twisted reimagining of Daredevil villain Stilt-Man. Instead of a mechanical suit with telescoping legs he's a guy that tortures and cripples himself to have taller and taller legs until he towers over everyone but still has his regular body.

Then punisher runs him over and snaps his legs in the final panel.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lobok posted:

A guy with Wolverine healing factor and motorized jackscrews in his leg bones. So the bones heal as they tear/splinter.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I feel as though these leg lengthening surgeries are just a status symbol, like getting massive breast implants for your mistress or whatever.
I mean, everyone (who knew him beforehand he suddenly grew 3 inches) is going to know that he has enough money to burn that he's willing to spend it on pointless surgery. Or something.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And posed for pictures about it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BushLeague101/status/1555955862845280256

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/F1/status/1574410714969567232

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1573520229669347330

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Biden is just as boring as most Dem presidents but he almost makes up for it by plain inelegance.
Up next: Joe struggles to tell a kindergarten child their drawing is 'very nice'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's a very, very bad public speaker. Honestly I think it's one of the more endearing things about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's a very, very bad public speaker. Honestly I think it's one of the more endearing things about him.
Would you say you'd like to have a beer with him