Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Tender Bender posted:

How is the Diablo II remaster on Switch? Saw it's on sale and would love to spend a few hours in nostalgia.

It's excellent and still getting class rebalances. Party size is limited to 4 players and the game itself had a rough start, but I'd put it in the $10-15 range if you're not opposed to giving Blizzard Entertainment your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Hearing Kingdom Hearts-esque music in the Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope battles gives me all kinds of fuzzy feelings. :kimchi:

And also, because it reminds me of how public reception to Mario + Rabbids were kind of like Kingdom Hearts at first.

Also, really loving all the stuff I've seen of Sparks of Hope thus far. Rosalina's NPC role will be very interesting to see when the game is finally released.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

It's excellent and still getting class rebalances. Party size is limited to 4 players and the game itself had a rough start, but I'd put it in the $10-15 range if you're not opposed to giving Blizzard Entertainment your money.

Thanks! Unfortunately the sale seems to have ended this morning so I guess I'll wait till the next one :v:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

External Organs posted:

I kept wondering why I was getting splatted right after jumping and finally realized yesterday that there's an indicator you're about to land that everyone can see :lol:

On the flipside if you see an enemy super jump arrow on the ground you can wait for them to pop up and one-shot them immediately, it's immensely satisfying to do even if it's annoying when it happens to you.
Or bomb it if you have the right timing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have some simple Switch questions!

1. Can a Nintendo Switch purchased in Europe play a physical Switch game from Japan?
2. If I purchase a physical Zelda game in Amsterdam for example, I'm assuming it's fairly simple to change the language of the game to English?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

1. Can a Nintendo Switch purchased in Europe play a physical Switch game from Japan?
2. If I purchase a physical Zelda game in Amsterdam for example, I'm assuming it's fairly simple to change the language of the game to English?

1. Yes, Carts are region free
2. Yep pretty sure the European version has English French Dutch etc

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

1. Yes, Carts are region free
2. Yep pretty sure the European version has English French Dutch etc

Thank you!

I remember back with the Game Boy, all game progress was saved on the cartridge itself - is this the case for physical Switch games as well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope, they’re saved on the system. I don’t think the switch can write to the carts at all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Busy Bee posted:

On 2, IIRC most games will auto-select the text language based upon your system language setting, you won't even have to manually select the language.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, they’re saved on the system. I don’t think the switch can write to the carts at all.

Indeed they cannot. In fact only devkits can, to special flashcarts.

Busy Bee posted:

It's game specific, but most Switch games are actually the same ROM for all regions even on the cartridge, despite having different labels. You'll find they will typically start in English if the system language is configured as such, as to accommodate this.

The only exception is China, who must always have unique SKUs.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate it.

Another question - I see that there are some sites such as enjify.com that sell codes to Nintendo Switch games. For example, they have Zelda Breath of the Wild listed for 35 EUR. I'm assuming that they will just send their customers an activation code that can be redeemed on the Nintendo Store? Is this all legal?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've bought digital games from e.g. Amazon or GameStop before, and yeah they send you codes that you enter into the eShop to redeem. I don't know that site specifically to be able to tell you how legit it is, but basically anyone selling you a digital game besides the eShop will send you a code.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Best place to find deals on Switch games is on DekuDeals though. Or the video game deals thread in Coupons.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Commander Keene posted:

I've bought digital games from e.g. Amazon or GameStop before, and yeah they send you codes that you enter into the eShop to redeem. I don't know that site specifically to be able to tell you how legit it is, but basically anyone selling you a digital game besides the eShop will send you a code.

Sites like those are fine, but there are a number of third party sellers that are less than legit. There was a dev who sent out a bunch of steam keys for their game to 'reviewers', knowing that many of them would sell their keys to grey market third party sites - so the steam keys were simply for the first chapter demo. The legit reviewers would come back to him for the real keys, the others would never realize what it was before they sold it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I remember reading that cult of the lamb had performance issues and quite many bugs at release. Anyone have it and know how it runs nowadays?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Anybody check out the Mario Maker guy that made Super Mario Bros. 5?

I honestly haven't touched this game in years and it got me to pick it up again. It's pretty good. I also haven't seen any of the course world stuff so that was a pleasant surprise.

You can find it by searching Metroid Mike 64’s Maker ID code on Super Mario Maker 2: OG9-XN4-FNF.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

I honestly haven't touched this game in years and it got me to pick it up again. It's pretty good. I also haven't seen any of the course world stuff so that was a pleasant surprise.

You can find it by searching Metroid Mike 64’s Maker ID code on Super Mario Maker 2: OG9-XN4-FNF.

I haven't checked it out yet but it looks fantastic. Aegis Cook does really nice stuff as well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Star posted:

I remember reading that cult of the lamb had performance issues and quite many bugs at release. Anyone have it and know how it runs nowadays?

If you can get it on PC, do that. Switch is fiiiiiine but it's also not a super long game that you'll need to lounge for.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Star posted:

I played all the way through and didn't run into any big problems. Fun game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How's Tunic?
I've heard some people praise it but not a ton of chatter.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a good Zeldalike but some people bounced off the combat because it's pretty difficult. No idea how it runs on the Switch.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inzombiac posted:

How's Tunic?

I've heard that it does something novel with storytelling to the point that the people praising it wanted to be deliberately vague, but I haven't got around to actually playing it yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

antidote posted:

I played all the way through and didn't run into any big problems. Fun game.

I played all the way through and had a couple crashes. Fun game, but short and I would say wait for a sale

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

How's Tunic?

It is fun but calling it a Zeldalike is a bit misleading. It is specifically about tryimg to capture the feel of figuring out old NES games from poorly translated instructional manuals and vague hints.

If you ever tried to play an emulated Japanese only game back in the 90s and had only vague translations and puzzling it out then it'll hit your nostalgia buttons. If you want something more direct accessible like any Zelda after 2 or isn't really that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inzombiac posted:

How's Tunic?

It's a neat idea that shouldn't have gone for Souls hard because the simple combat system cant handle it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Every game that has souls mechanics that aren't actually souls games need to cut that out

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nyoro posted:

Every game that has souls mechanics that aren't actually souls games need to cut that out

The Surge is good :colbert:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

After playing these levels for a while... eh, still validates why I don't like most user created levels.

The levels are not designed to kill you, but they offer no challenge either. It's missing the Mario formula of introducing a mechanic/obstacle, and then progressively making it harder over the level to give you some sort of challenge at the end, and then you're done with it.

Many of the levels are the same level of challenge the whole way through, with some of them going on way too long. A lot of unnecessary coin boxes, enemies you can easily just skip over, and a lot of back tracking with a key elements. I know you can't do secret exits in these games, but a lot of secret areas in the levels just lead to coins.

I appreciate the level of detail that went into making it over 7 years, but misses the mark for me in what makes a Mario game a Mario game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

Cjacobs did a pretty good job of making it seem interesting

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

After playing these levels for a while... eh, still validates why I don't like most user created levels.

The levels are not designed to kill you, but they offer no challenge either. It's missing the Mario formula of introducing a mechanic/obstacle, and then progressively making it harder over the level to give you some sort of challenge at the end, and then you're done with it.

Many of the levels are the same level of challenge the whole way through, with some of them going on way too long. A lot of unnecessary coin boxes, enemies you can easily just skip over, and a lot of back tracking with a key elements. I know you can't do secret exits in these games, but a lot of secret areas in the levels just lead to coins.

I appreciate the level of detail that went into making it over 7 years, but misses the mark for me in what makes a Mario game a Mario game.

You should try Aegis Cook's Super Mario Bros 3: Lost Levels.

A lot of those are extremely challenging.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Tunic does have an accessibility option to make it so you never die. I highly recommend it because the combat is bad and the game around it is amazing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did anyone play that VARIOUS DAYLIFE or whatever it was called?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Did anyone play that VARIOUS DAYLIFE or whatever it was called?

yeah it's poo poo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

ImpAtom posted:

It is fun but calling it a Zeldalike is a bit misleading. It is specifically about tryimg to capture the feel of figuring out old NES games from poorly translated instructional manuals and vague hints.

If you ever tried to play an emulated Japanese only game back in the 90s and had only vague translations and puzzling it out then it'll hit your nostalgia buttons. If you want something more direct accessible like any Zelda after 2 or isn't really that.

This sounds awesome, I love feeling stupid/overwhelmed and then slowly piecing stuff together so it's kind of cool to see that it's become a bit of a genre on its own

It has to be done well though, I think Elliot quest was trying to replicate a similar vibe but I ended up not enjoying it too much. Tunic looks way more polished and involved than that though

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do you think 'Trails of Cold Steel I' and 'Trails of Cold Steel II' will receive english ports to the Nintendo Switch Entertainment System?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They already have ports, but the localizations are owned by XSEED instead of NISA and thus far they have not shown any real interest in redoing them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inzombiac posted:

The Surge is a souls game though, he means non-souls games with souls mechanics.

Edit: Hunting your shade down in Hollow Knight, for example.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

yeah it's poo poo

Ah dang it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Around the time Tunic came out there was an interview the developer did on Waypoint where he talked about really falling in love with the feeling of finding the hidden area in level 2 of Super Mario Brothers with the warp pipes. Poke around loving everywhere, because the game wants to give you those moments continuously, and it's really miraculous when it works on you.

The combat needed like two more iterations imo. Deaths Door it ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If and when you eventually get sick of combat in Tunic, you can turn on no fail mode or whatever it's called where you don't take damage, and can just hit things.