Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

manganese posted:

A long shot, but...

I've seen a couple users in here talk about the GCCX Channel (GCCXCh) app back in the day. Does anyone have this content still? Not asking for files, just been looking for a definitive listing of the content and finding it hard.

Even if nobody's stockpiled the content, is there perhaps a Japanese fan site that lists this material that I'm unaware of, or any other resource online that documents it?

I am aware the "best" of the material made it to the Continue special magazine's bonus DVD.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

there's a fairly new torrent on nyaa with a huge stash of untranslated stuff, is it in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manganese
Jul 23, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

there's a fairly new torrent on nyaa with a huge stash of untranslated stuff, is it in there?

I think that's all DVD stuff. I was wondering if anywhere has a list of the app contents. Especially since it's long since closed down.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I don't use Discord much, so I wound up unsubscribing to the Discord servers of the various people streaming GCCX on Twitch. Now that those Twitch channels have been whack-a-moled, anybody know if there's an active Discord server for the show I could use to find new streams as they appear?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I am running very behind on the show and decided to marathon a bunch of episodes over the weekend. Not only is the English segment one of the best the show has ever had, even knowing this was coming it was loving hilarious.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Season 26: Episode 9 (#345) "Turtle main character(s)" premieres on Thursday, September 22nd.

I feel like this is gonna be a good one!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

joem83 posted:

Season 26: Episode 9 (#345) "Turtle main character(s)" premieres on Thursday, September 22nd.

I feel like this is gonna be a good one!

Were any of the TMNT games released in Japan?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ZZT the Fifth posted:

many of them

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yes. The original one wasn't released under the TMNT title, it was Geki Kami Ninja Den. But after that the Turtles started airing in Japan under the English title so the next two 8-bit games were released as Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles only with the numbering off by one. They did not get the 8-bit Tournament Fighters, though. In the 16-but era, Turtles in Time was released in Japan, though IIRC it used a different title than TMNT. Hyperstone Heist got a similar release.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TMNT 1 (Geki kami ninja den) would probably be the most interesting since it's got a bit more than just side-scrolling beat'em up (done well, mind you). Still thinking can it be some kind of swerve because Turtles are so obvious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TeaJay posted:

TMNT 1 (Geki kami ninja den) would probably be the most interesting since it's got a bit more than just side-scrolling beat'em up (done well, mind you). Still thinking can it be some kind of swerve because Turtles are so obvious.

The collection was just released so this is a bit of cross promotion.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I would love to see Arino crush the dam level in one go after getting stuck on the first boss for 3 hours.

Turtles in Time could also be interesting. Especially since the difficulty curve is broken. Slash is like 10 times harder than any of the other bosses.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm hoping for TMNT1 too, for the arc of Arino discovering Donatello as the best turtle leading the inevitable failures of losing him and being stuck with Michelangelo.

Also if you haven't seen it, they made a OVA of TMNT back in 1996 and it's a wild mix of the 90's cartoon with Japanese tropes added in, like transforming into a super form!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqx1g60_Io

Cemetry Gator posted:

I would love to see Arino crush the dam level in one go after getting stuck on the first boss for 3 hours.

Turtles in Time could also be interesting. Especially since the difficulty curve is broken. Slash is like 10 times harder than any of the other bosses.

Slash and his stupid freaking block :argh:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there's also several japan-exclusive TMNT manga out there. several are even translated.

they had some good ideas for improving the third movie (giant mechanical frog)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The next episode is confirmed to be TMNT2: The Arcade Game for the Famicom!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

The next episode is confirmed to be TMNT2: The Arcade Game for the Famicom!

Just played that yesterday. It's actually easier than the NES version as the jump kick does more damage and there's fewer enemies.

Jurai
Jul 26, 2011
TMNT translation - https://nyaa.si/view/1581804

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

"This is a machine translation using OpenAI’s recently released Whisper neural network (https://github.com/openai/whisper)"

Interesting, I didn't even know this was a thing. It would be extremely cool if it does a good job of translating and it would be even cooler if the technology was applied to the rest of the untranslated library.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I have bad news for you about literally every machine translation ever.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
A bad translation is worse than no translation.

Surely some of you guys remember the TV-Nihon subs of GCCX season 1.

It discourages other people from translating things that have "already been done" AND causes misinformation to spread way faster than corrections can ever catch up. "Better than nothing" is not a phrase that should ever be applied to fan media translations.

Edit: I don't think I'm coming down on this MTL strongly enough. I'm not even going to look at it, and I don't have to to know that it's bound to be awful.

Game Center CX is unscripted programming - this means people talk at fast real-life conversation speeds with casual levels of enunciation, which typically requires close to native-level listening comprehension skills to ensure an adequate understanding of what's being said if you want to translate it (unless you're doing it professionally and they give you the written manuscript). It's nothing like anime, where characters enunciate what they're saying and pace it out to be clearly heard and understood.

A machine parser trying to make sense of the audio + machine translation trying to translate this mechanical audio parsing is a recipe for disaster.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 23, 2022

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hokuto posted:

drat haven't seen you post in a while.

KOTAK and TV-Nihon.

Jurai
Jul 26, 2011

Hokuto posted:

It discourages other people from translating things that have "already been done" AND causes misinformation to spread way faster than corrections can ever catch up. "Better than nothing" is not a phrase that should ever be applied to fan media translations.

Edit: I don't think I'm coming down on this MTL strongly enough. I'm not even going to look at it, and I don't have to to know that it's bound to be awful.

Game Center CX is unscripted programming - this means people talk at fast real-life conversation speeds with casual levels of enunciation, which typically requires close to native-level listening comprehension skills to ensure an adequate understanding of what's being said if you want to translate it (unless you're doing it professionally and they give you the written manuscript). It's nothing like anime, where characters enunciate what they're saying and pace it out to be clearly heard and understood.

A machine parser trying to make sense of the audio + machine translation trying to translate this mechanical audio parsing is a recipe for disaster.

Modern neural nets are not the same as old machine interpreters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jurai posted:

No but they still suck

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jurai posted:

Modern neural networks are actually worse to edit than amateur translators' work. At least with amateur translators, you can see their thought process and how they may have reached a mistaken conclusion. With neural networks, their logic is completely opaque and you have no way of gauging how they drew a given conclusion from the souce material they have. I've seen MTPE (machine translation post editing) projects firsthand before, using modern neural networks. It's not pretty. Trying to make sense of their output is literally headache-inducing.

Mister Chief posted:

drat haven't seen you post in a while.

KOTAK and TV-Nihon.

Hi, nice to see you too! o/

I've been lurking and following the thread as always, ahaha.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 23, 2022

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea, I play a lot of indie JP games (RPGMaker, usually) that have been translated and always feel a bit crestfallen when one gets tagged as "MTL". I also feel that machine translation is worse than none. I've yet to see one that was MTL'd get a proper fan translation yet, and I feel the existance of the MTL really lowers the odds of a proper one being done. Even the ones that say "Edited MTL" are no good to me either. Even if it's been "curated" and fixed up, there's no way of the person knowing if what's there is even accurate (I assume that if they did, they'd just actually translate it themselves since editing machine translations can't be any easier for someone fluent in the original language).

Just my two cents. Which I guess is just a lot of words to say "I agree, Hokuto."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A random thing that jumped into my mind and I suspect isn't actually possible: does Game Center CX even have something akin to closed captioning? I know that only became a thing somewhat recently in Japan (I think partially because a lot of shows would write big chunks of dialogue on screen anyway, with GCCX being no exception), and I'm not even sure if it's available in a format that you could "rip" into a timed raw text format of some kind (you at least could do this historically with American/Canadian TV closed captions and analog capture devices but I think modern cable boxes tend to handle this signal themselves and not pass it properly over the analog connections). Also, it would obviously be in Japanese only, but having a professionally-timed file to work from with what should be the correct Japanese text would be a good head start on doing the subtitles properly.

While this is especially true for Japanese because it's a highly context-based language (you can drop a ton of inferred words in a sentence, like for subject, which you can't really do to the same extent in other languages), machine translation is rife with problems due to, among other things, not having a good understanding of the subject at hand. As an example, for French there is a $100 software package called Antidote that does very advanced spelling and grammar checking, and this is kind of a ubiquitous piece of software in the French-speaking world alongside Microsoft Office, basically any professional setting where your writing quality matters (including for things like sending email externally). Among other things, there's a rather involved setup process for the software initially, because it needs to know things like which type of French you'll be writing in (are you in Quebec? France? Belgium? Somewhere else?), as well as your gender, because that actually changes first-person conjugations for adjectives and the like. On the latter point, this was a common sticking point at the school where my mum used to teach, who outsourced translating the school newsletter to French. While the translation mostly worked, one common sticking point is they used the masculine conjugations when referring to "the students". This is what you would use for either an all-boys school or a coed school, but this school was an all-girls school. And this was a translation done by actual people, they were just lacking important information (and IIRC there were similar tales in this thread from people who'd done translations from Japanese to English of some short blurb but who weren't provided with important context needed for the translation to be correct).

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 23, 2022

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I watched some of it last night. It's kinda rough, but I would rather watch that than an untranslated episode. Just having a general idea of what they're talking about makes the experience much more enjoyable for me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

joem83 posted:

I watched some of it last night. It's kinda rough, but I would rather watch that than an untranslated episode. Just having a general idea of what they're talking about makes the experience much more enjoyable for me.

I dunno. It seems to be a lot like TV Nihon where it gives a "translation" but it only makes things more confusing sometimes.

I've watched plenty of the unsubbed episodes and generally have been able to parse what's going on with my limited japanese, since the show is very visual in nature.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Arino looking slick.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The era will only arrive when MTL makes sense once it is far more powerful and driven entirely by closed captions/official transcripts also probably gone over by an editor repeatedly---and even then, it will vary greatly depending on the base language being dealt with AND the output language sought.

Even the Donghua scene, which has had little choice but to leverage it heavily while half hoping/trying for advancement as there are Extremely Few even sporadic traditional fansub outfits endeavoring despite the enormous spread of works with CR having only very selective and non-committed tastes, has so much output nonsense to it that it becomes a cringing almost to the point of endearing(but still cringing) aspect of identity.

MTL: "It is all about Dancers & Snacks, Baby~"

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have a question that’s not really GCCX related but more a language question - is the reason so many words are frequently shown on screen so that people tuning in late or channel surfing have the kanji to give proper context to the conversation? I started learning a bit of Japanese and I remember context being emphasized since the language doesn’t have a huge variety of sounds.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

holefoods posted:

I have a question that’s not really GCCX related but more a language question - is the reason so many words are frequently shown on screen so that people tuning in late or channel surfing have the kanji to give proper context to the conversation? I started learning a bit of Japanese and I remember context being emphasized since the language doesn’t have a huge variety of sounds.

I always figured it was to compensate for different dialects/accents.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

holefoods posted:

I've always assumed it's just mainly convention, though there are definitely people more knowledgeable in Japanese television conventions than me. Even in English a channel surfer would more easily grasp the context at a glance if it was written on the screen after all.

And said context sensitivity isn't that related to the sound amount or kanji, but rather the language working without needing to repeatedly specify certain parts like subjects which might make it ambiguous what's being referred to if you "weren't there" to hear the topic being established. That mostly matters if you're looking at like, individual context-detached sentences or short snippets of dialogue though. Homonyms are pretty irrelevant to understanding context from my experience, it quickly becomes clear if the topic of "rock" refers to geology or music despite them using the same word. Plus a lot of Japanese words that do have the same pronunciation still use a different pitch in speech.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 25, 2022

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The DVD box 19 exclusive challenge will be Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Oh, that is a great choice.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

332 - Space Harrier by GooseCanyon

quote:

Translation: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Proofreading: Ephemeral
Subtitles: Clov
Special Thanks: Bean

Video by Skye

Extra special thanks to Ephemeral, who singlehandedly put this release back on track, as well as making a much nicer speech bubble!

Stupid sexy Harrier…

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:90a651c8a9ccf64684776117724a2ae58a287273&dn=Game%20Center%20CX%20332%20-%20Space%20Harrier%20%5BGooseCanyon%5D&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fannounce

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Nice! Thank you

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Meanwhile, things got pretty sexy on Yoiko's youtube channel.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for the new release! The game was pretty terrible to look at for me, but it was thrilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:90a651c8a9ccf64684776117724a2ae58a287273&dn=Game%20Center%20CX%20332%20-%20Space%20Harrier%20%5BGooseCanyon%5D&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fannounce
<3