Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
EU energy crisis is not a transient blip:
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1574518054905470976

Backs up what this guy is saying:
https://twitter.com/BurggrabenH/status/1567929340737863680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Shellenberger is an oil & gas stooge iirc and he straight up links to an article of his 'the end of renewables mania'
He most likely is correct on the energy crisis lasting through the winter but the guy wants us to burn more dinosaur juice because thats how he gets paid. Beware of his catastrophizing bullshit. Esp. On renewables

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

mortons stork posted:

Shellenberger is an oil & gas stooge iirc and he straight up links to an article of his 'the end of renewables mania'
He most likely is correct on the energy crisis lasting through the winter but the guy wants us to burn more dinosaur juice because thats how he gets paid. Beware of his catastrophizing bullshit. Esp. On renewables

More like Shillenberger.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/BurggrabenH/status/1574683968498065408?cxt=HHwWgICj_b2us9orAAAA

Vote.

Sorry, im being glib
I cant read his thread right now, will do so later today when i get home.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 27, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"governments are taking over energy markets"

Yes because Britain's privatised energy market is going swimmingly whereas France bringing theirs into national ownership was a tragedy for the average French person.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Energy is going to be a challenge for a while but "deindustrialization"? lmao.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I guess we're going to get more and more of this narrative as we get closer to winter.

An insane mind posted:

More like Shillenberger.

:golfclap:

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

mobby_6kl posted:

Energy is going to be a challenge for a while but "deindustrialization"? lmao.

Whos gonna build all the equipment needed for renewables? It is no idle amount of hardware. Transporting it from overseas is almost as bad as just burning oil.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mortons stork posted:

I did get wary of his preaching that the solution is to burn natural gas since that's not really a solution....

But his point on renewables failing lines up with what others are saying so on that point I am not at all convinced that all europe has got to worry about is this winter. The other twitter link is far more detailed on that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The European energy crisis, like every other fossil fuel energy crisis, is because governments worldwide sat counting the profits that fossil fuels reaped instead of investing in futureproof energy supplies, and now the eggs are hatching only for the birds to die of cold.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I did get wary of his preaching that the solution is to burn natural gas since that's not really a solution....

But his point on renewables failing lines up with what others are saying so on that point I am not at all convinced that all europe has got to worry about is this winter. The other twitter link is far more detailed on that.

Oh definitely not, I'm sorry for sounding excessively dismissive. Europe has to catch up on decades of just uhhhh not focusing on renewables all that much due to cheap gas being available from Russia and renewables are right now not in any way sufficient to pick up the slack. A lot will depend on us starting to invest right loving now. Or get walloped by LNG prices for the foreseeable future.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nuclear.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

There's likely enough LNG to fill the hole that the absence of Russian gas and oil left, it's just a matter of building the terminals and paying the premium above the cheap stuff from Russia.

It will be the poorer parts of the world that previously relied on LNG that will suffer :(

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Shellenberger seems to believe and amplify every right-wing narrative, what a great source.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

We had to start 30 years ago to have nuclear capacity ready right now. If we have to decarbonize by a 2050 deadline then going for the kind of power plants that take 30 years each to build right now is most likely a no-go, or a side-project.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's the only thing that's gonna work.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
it's what all the centrist liberals in my country are currently pivoting to as the next killer app for climate change, and given their track record I'm fairly confident it's not gonna be
Most likely it will turn out to be grist for the capitalist graft machine and an excuse to divert exhorbitant amounts of money away from where it's most needed as a delaying action.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Torrannor posted:

There's likely enough LNG to fill the hole that the absence of Russian gas and oil left, it's just a matter of building the terminals and paying the premium above the cheap stuff from Russia.

It will be the poorer parts of the world that previously relied on LNG that will suffer :(

A lot of this would be alleviated from America pulling their petulant sanctions on Iran, although it's too late to help this year. Iran seem to be moving ahead with the infrastructure anyway, taking a gamble on how things move forward.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, things are going great in Iran, nothing to worry about.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, things aren't going great in Russia at the moment and the only thing stopping LNG flow to Europe is their petulance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes: how could Nuclear be a solution for decarbonization

Tesseraction posted:

A lot of this would be alleviated from America pulling their petulant sanctions on Iran, although it's too late to help this year. Iran seem to be moving ahead with the infrastructure anyway, taking a gamble on how things move forward.

Iran's kind of being a dick murdering protesters right now so that might not be a great signal to send

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
There is also the unavoidable question of having to rationalize our economies, plan more and consume less, which the nuclear discourse also conveniently sidesteps, which I think is another reason why every status quo stooge here is pivoting to it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mortons stork posted:

it's what all the centrist liberals in my country are currently pivoting to as the next killer app for climate change, and given their track record I'm fairly confident it's not gonna be
Most likely it will turn out to be grist for the capitalist graft machine and an excuse to divert exhorbitant amounts of money away from where it's most needed as a delaying action.

This is exactly how I would describe the role of renewables the last few decades, and in my observation it's precisely the centrist liberals who love renewables now have been dismissing nuclear because it cannot compete on the market.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Iran's kind of being a dick murdering protesters right now so that might not be a great signal to send

I mean this is why we shouldn't be relying on fossil fuels from extremist dictatorships but here is Europe on the teat of Russia and the world on the teat of OPEC, king poo poo being Saudi-occupied Arabia.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

This is exactly how I would describe the role of renewables the last few decades, and in my observation it's precisely the centrist liberals who love renewables now have been dismissing nuclear because it cannot compete on the market.

I don't think renewables have been anything more than an exciting novelty, and definitely not a central focus of investment. All the 'smart', 'pragmatic' types were, still mostly are in fact, going for gas. And now at least in Italy they're skipping straight to nuclear.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mortons stork posted:

I don't think renewables have been anything more than an exciting novelty, and definitely not a central focus of investment. All the 'smart', 'pragmatic' types were, still mostly are in fact, going for gas. And now at least in Italy they're skipping straight to nuclear.

The way I see it is that the green movement have been working against nuclear since the 1980s. The goal of the green movement was always to replace both fossil fuels and nuclear with renewables. That it ended up favoring and extending the life of fossil fuel usage is thus a bit ironic.

Around 2011-13 the liberals jumped on board with the renewable train which is when it started gaining steam for real and most self-professed liberals I've talked to are all anti nuclear for "market reasons", it's definitely a thing I've noticed develop in the 2010s.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Nuclear energy is literally the cleanest/most energy efficient way forward, solar and wind can't really compete with it. Ideally we would have started building powerplants a decade, maybe two? ago but since that didn't happen that means the best time to start is now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mortons stork posted:

We had to start 30 years ago to have nuclear capacity ready right now. If we have to decarbonize by a 2050 deadline then going for the kind of power plants that take 30 years each to build right now is most likely a no-go, or a side-project.
Half the reason they take 30 years to build is because of all kinds of NIMBY bullshit though. That said, it's apparently also the case that a rapid expansion of nuclear isn't really possible, due to there being production bottlenecks in reactor pressure vessels, meaning you'd have to first build factories that can make those before you can start really boosting the construction of plants.

Maybe they can spend the time doing that educating the engineers that are gonna run the plants.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

An insane mind posted:

Nuclear energy is literally the cleanest/most energy efficient way forward, solar and wind can't really compete with it. Ideally we would have started building powerplants a decade, maybe two? ago but since that didn't happen that means the best time to start is now.

The literal argument I had to that, from self professed swedish liberals was no, it's too late now, it takes too long. The answer is energy / battery storage. When I furnished links that show how unrealistic that is and how far off battery tech is, the argument changed that technology is always moving forward and we can't know what will come soon, there are so many technologies currently deing developed. Nuclear is old, expensive and obsolete compared to these technologies that don't yet exist.

"I believe in a few years a breakthrough will come" is almost a quote from one of these people I talked to.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"I believe in a few years a breakthrough will come" is almost a quote from one of these people I talked to.

Someone will save us, so stop trying to save us.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

The literal argument I had to that, from self professed swedish liberals was no, it's too late now, it takes too long. The answer is energy / battery storage. When I furnished links that show how unrealistic that is and how far off battery tech is, the argument changed that technology is always moving forward and we can't know what will come soon, there are so many technologies currently deing developed. Nuclear is old, expensive and obsolete compared to these technologies that don't yet exist.

This is usually followed by just look at Elon Musk! Look at what he's doing with the resources he has. Innovation! And people around the room vigorously agree.

And then I bow out of the conversation with a brittle smile and just spend the next 40 minutes crying my eyes out in the bathroom.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

An insane mind posted:

This is usually followed by just look at Elon Musk!

Look at him indeed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Perhaps just as well we didn't get the factory then...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I ran some numbers for France in the energy thread and this tweet form the thread before also estimates the required storage at 15TWh. For each of the large EU countries. It's a ridiculous amount and we'd need to be doubling the actual installed capacity for like 15 years to get there.

https://twitter.com/BurggrabenH/status/1568013710291091456

E: lol that pumped storage in Switzerland cost 2B and 14 years to build: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nant_de_Drance_Hydropower_Plant

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 27, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tesseraction posted:

I mean this is why we shouldn't be relying on fossil fuels from extremist dictatorships but here is Europe on the teat of Russia and the world on the teat of OPEC, king poo poo being Saudi-occupied Arabia.

EU officials are busy to not criticize Azerbaijan's "border incursions" into Armenia, because the Azeris have a ton of natural gas to sell. So I can see this is still going really well. :doh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Torrannor posted:

EU officials are busy to not criticize Azerbaijan's "border incursions" into Armenia, because the Azeris have a ton of natural gas to sell. So I can see this is still going really well. :doh:

Turning from the foul dictatorship of Russia to the healthy flourishing democr-- *checks notes* ah, well. Hmm.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

mortons stork posted:

There is also the unavoidable question of having to rationalize our economies, plan more and consume less

Rationalizing/planning the economy more is inconceivable for liberals in power and the idea of consuming less is preposterous for vast masses of Europeans. So we are in a gridlock where the rational choice of more hands on energy policy isn't going to happen from our current political class and the electorate will become more reactionary if their living standards are threatened. I fear that this gives a window of opportunity for far right to gain support all over Europe. All they have to do is not stand in the way of Russian imperialism and push for return of European energy dependence on Russia. We'll see how the coming winter goes....

Nuclear plants would have been great, but they needed building decades ago. It wont solve the current crisis.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The current crisis will keep getting worse over several decades. Nuclear plants will definitely solve that.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Lol this 'we should have been building them ages ago, no use trying now' is the weirdest take about nuclear plants to me.

You didn't do it ages ago, when it was the best time, that never happened so what is now the best time? Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

An insane mind posted:

Lol this 'we should have been building them ages ago, no use trying now' is the weirdest take about nuclear plants to me.

Whose saying that? Yes we should have built them years ago, yes we should begin building them now. But it wont help with the current crisis.