Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Meanwhile if Niemann has talked to a lawyer (and he should), that lawyer will surely advise him to not sign off on what Carlsen has proposed under any circumstances. That's if such a blanket agreement not to sue is even legally enforceable, which I also have doubts about (how can you agree that someone can say something about you without knowing what it is?).

I saw a video today in which Hikaru read that letter out loud and basically said "if Neimann won't agree, he's guilty" and even his own fan stream was chock full of people saying that's unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Killing me because every news outlet is now calling this a direct accusation, but I don't think it is. All he says is he believe Niemann has cheated more than he admits to recently, and that his "perspective changed" in an unspecified way after their game. He still isn't accusing Niemann of cheating during either of their games specifically. It's straight up "Many people are saying."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Carlson knows that he won't, and yeah that's just dumb, poo poo stirring from Nakamura lol.

theironjef posted:

Killing me because every news outlet is now calling this a direct accusation, but I don't think it is. All he says is he believe Niemann has cheated more than he admits to recently, and that his "perspective changed" in an unspecified way after their game. He still isn't accusing Niemann of cheating during either of their games specifically. It's straight up "Many people are saying."

Because anyone capable of putting two and two together realizes that this is as direct accusation of cheating that you are going to get, as anything more direct means you are extremely going to get sued. As good luck finding any actual proof, especially long afterwards.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 27, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As someone who can't even mount a basic Indian Defense or grasp a king pawn checkmate, this is fascinating.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPzUgzrOcQ

Like you aren't going to find any smoking gun, because you'd have to catch him in the act, but yeah.

Magnus might be wrong about Hans cheating, but this probably isn't him just being mad about losing. He's lost before, but has literally never done anything like this before.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't really know anything about chess but it seems like the biggest problem with the theory that hans cheated is that although everyone's acting like it's impossible that hans could have beat Magnus without cheating, Magnus just seems to have played extremely badly in that game.

It would be a lot more convincing if Magnus played at his normal level and hans still beat him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dexo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPzUgzrOcQ

Like you aren't going to find any smoking gun, because you'd have to catch him in the act, but yeah.

Magnus might be wrong about Hans cheating, but this probably isn't him just being mad about losing. He's lost before, but has literally never done anything like this before.

that video is impressive. I really appreciate the commenter being careful about what this sort of analysis actually says and doesn't say... but I feel confident in drawing two conclusions: 1, Niemann has far too many 100% games to not be a cheater, but also 2, he didn't cheat against Magnus, who played a below average game on his own standards.

It looks to me like Niemann is smart enough to only occasionally cheat, which nudges his long-term averages up without being easily detected. But getting a 100% correlation with a solver without using a solver over the course of a 30-45 move game is incredibly unlikely, and doing it like ten times in three years is basically impossible.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

SageNytell posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or the FATE thread, but given the subject matter I figured it belongs here.

Does anyone know what happened to the planned FATE Decolonization Toolkit? I remember hearing about it circa 2020, and I understand James Mendez Hodes was project lead, but it appears to have evaporated off the face of the earth. Trying to search for it now just shows mentions in fashy places and I'm good not knowing what they have to screed on the subject.

Am I just missing something and it's quietly still being developed, or did the project get canned?

https://twitter.com/SeanNittner/status/1574437834785595398

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

As someone who can't even mount a basic Indian Defense or grasp a king pawn checkmate, this is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9iOeK_jvU

for anyone who does want to learn chess, I'd recommend this video from John Bartholomew as a starting point. It's certainly helped me a lot when I got really into chess back in, oh, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I taught myself chess out of a book when I was about 11 and then taught my siblings and buddies so we could play. I should stress - I am not good at chess. I am as good as someone with roaring ADHD who learned chess out of a book.

Even so when I was about 13, in the same month I played two (2) adult men separately. One was the parish priest at the youth centre and one was a friend of my mum's on his big swanky chess set. I won both games and neither man would ever play me again. Mum's friend in particular got *super* salty. I wasn't organised! I just lucked out and spotted something he didn't spot. I was a little girl for gently caress's sake.

Anyway so that's why I gave up learning chess. Just wanted to have a grumble.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That latest tweet from Carlsen has already been added to the Scrubquotes twitter:
https://twitter.com/ScrubQuotesX/status/1574537681480331264

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9iOeK_jvU

for anyone who does want to learn chess, I'd recommend this video from John Bartholomew as a starting point. It's certainly helped me a lot when I got really into chess back in, oh, 2016

Thanks!

I'm terrible at chess, but wouldn't mind improving a bit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You literally cannot cheat at chess without being fed moves from an AI, which is impossible in this case because they have detection set up for any kind of transmission in the tournament area.

Magnus is a loving scrub.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

I taught myself chess out of a book when I was about 11 and then taught my siblings and buddies so we could play. I should stress - I am not good at chess. I am as good as someone with roaring ADHD who learned chess out of a book.

Even so when I was about 13, in the same month I played two (2) adult men separately. One was the parish priest at the youth centre and one was a friend of my mum's on his big swanky chess set. I won both games and neither man would ever play me again. Mum's friend in particular got *super* salty. I wasn't organised! I just lucked out and spotted something he didn't spot. I was a little girl for gently caress's sake.

Anyway so that's why I gave up learning chess. Just wanted to have a grumble.

I'm very sorry about your experience.

The Shortest Path posted:

You literally cannot cheat at chess without being fed moves from an AI, which is impossible in this case because they have detection set up for any kind of transmission in the tournament area.

one theory I've heard is that he's lost a step since having had COVID

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
One of the judges blinked his moves in binary to him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You literally can cheat without any electronic transmission in the tournament area.

Look up Sebastien Feller 2010.

And guess how much smaller high level compute has gotten between 2010 and 2022. It wouldn't even need to be that elaborate.

It's extremely fair to think Hans didn't cheat or anything, I tend to lean towards not thinking he did against Magnus, but to say it'd be impossible is a wild statement.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 27, 2022

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
No electronic transmission in the playing area is accurate, if a bit misleading. Feller had an accomplice who would get an SMS message outside the playing area, then return to visual range of Feller and relay the suggestion via predetermined signals.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Just loving lol if their "no transmissions in the play area" policy can be defeated by someone with a phone who can freely move in and out of the play area

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
What's the smallest we can make a computer capable of running a high-end chess ai? No need for transmission if the whole machine is in the butt...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also it may be good to understand that a cheating player doesn't need to be fed every move. Often a single decision leads to a string of more or less forced/required/obvious moves and countermoves, until the next important inflection point is reached. Making the correct move is called "accuracy" and high-level players will make the best move through the steps of these chains basically every time. It's typically because pieces are protected, and for example a player chooses to make an exchange that is being offered them, which leads to another exchange and another, because they spotted that after three exchanges they'll be able to take a fourth piece safely and be up by one piece; all of the moves in this sequence may be "the best moves" as identified by a solver but also trivially identified by a master. Sometimes (especially late game) it's just because there's a king chase and it's a sequence of checks to get the king to a safe square. Sometimes it's because one piece is being attacked, and as the opponent adds a second attacker, the only option is to add a second defender. That sort of thing.

So if the player just waits at an inflection point, or can get a signal out to an accomplice in those spots, the accomplice feeds them the move the computer likes best and the "idea" of this move is likely to be or become apparent to the player quickly and they can then follow on with several accurate moves without help afterward. A cheater who is also a very good chess player could get from a typical high-level player's 65% or 70% correlation up to a 100% solver correlation in a long game by being fed like six moves or so throughout the game.

As we've discussed the Sinquefield Cup has tight security; but it's a big-money, big-prestige tournament. Many significant and ranked tournaments, including international ones, are not as secure. It's possible that Niemann only cheats at tournaments with lax electronic security.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 27, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/xl1ufw/as_someone_with_intimate_knowledge_of_magic/

Tech today is just completely loving wild and hard to detect. Communication devices are so small nowadays it's trivial to beat the basic to slightly elevated security most of these events have.

Like they aren't putting these people in faraday cages lol.

To say it's literally impossible to cheat is just something that seems silly with how good computing and tech is in 2022.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah my understanding, which is rudimentary, is that modern RF scanners don't actually require the device to be turned on and broadcasting, because they can use magnetic fields to induce a transmitter to respond measurably? But I have no idea if the chess security people are using that level of tech, or how much it costs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There's the classic move of moving a Rook diagonally and hope your opponent is too brain dead to notice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, performance enhancing drugs

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
No security is ever defeat-proof, it's just a matter of if someone can dedicate enough time/money/expertise towards defeating it.

That said, I still think Carlson is being poo poo here. Either say you think Nieman's cheating or play on and don't say anything at all. None of this have your cake and eat it too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah Magnus is doing everything in the worst possible way.

If he had even just led with this lawyer rear end statement rather than weeks of pussyfooting around it probably would have come off better.

But also not really a clean way to do this that doesn't involve outright getting sued lol.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 27, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It'd be funnier if he just called him a cheater and funnier if he got sued, so he should do that.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Also worth noting that the video linked earlier was really interesting, but some folks in the comments were saying the function she used isn't all that good and that several other GMs have multiple games that go to 100%. It seems like there's some aspect of the function that can create a lot of false positives. I'm not sure I completely understand the technical side so maybe it's just people being Internet idiots, but it is kind of a methodological issue that the video doesn't have that kind of detailed analysis of anyone else. The two big points of evidence are a hot streak of 5 tournaments plus the 7-8 100% games, but the points of comparison are nothing for the hot streak and only many-game averages for the 100% games, which dilutes the point for sure.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Today's episode of Opening Arguments deals with the WotC v. NuTSR lawsuit. The breakdown of the situation and the intellectual property law involved is pretty useful, although they get pretty gratuitous in describing all the horrible stuff in the leaked manuals that the lawsuit is based on near the end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dexo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/xl1ufw/as_someone_with_intimate_knowledge_of_magic/

Tech today is just completely loving wild and hard to detect. Communication devices are so small nowadays it's trivial to beat the basic to slightly elevated security most of these events have.

Like they aren't putting these people in faraday cages lol.

To say it's literally impossible to cheat is just something that seems silly with how good computing and tech is in 2022.
It's not possible to say it's impossible to cheat. In fact maybe there are tons of people cheating. However, that is not necessarily the same as the question, "Is Hans, who is dumb enough to have repeatedly gotten caught cheating online, the single person who has suddenly figured out a way to cheat in otb chess that is subtle enough that it still hasn't managed to be detected directly but then managed to blow it by generally being dumb so his rise is extremely suspicious when coupled with his known history of online cheating? And then Magnus managed to suddenly catch it in a game where he coincidentally played the worst in years and withdrew purely out of his deep love the game and not because he didn't want to admit that he played really badly and lost to a much worse player?"

For all I know Hans is actually cheating but this all just seems way too coincidental.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 27, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mystes posted:

It's not possible to say it's impossible to cheat. In fact maybe there are tons of people cheating. However, that is not necessarily the same as the question, "Is Hans, who is dumb enough to have repeatedly gotten caught cheating online, the single person who has suddenly figured out a way to cheat in otb chess that is subtle enough that it still hasn't managed to be detected directly but then managed to blow it by generally being dumb so his rise is extremely suspicious when coupled with his known history of online cheating? And then Magnus managed to suddenly catch it in a game where he coincidentally played the worst in years and withdrew purely out of his deep love the game and not because he didn't want to admit that he played really badly and lost to a much worse player?"

For all I know Hans is actually cheating but this all just seems way too coincidental.

Him getting caught cheating online wasn't him getting caught red-handed, it was their algorithm which has different criteria and a lower threshold than FIDE's triggering and them using their ability as just an independent online service to just remove him from their service under that suspicion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

New theory:

Magnus knows Hans was cheating but won't say how because there was interference on his own cheating device which was coincidentally set to the same channel.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Could this be the truth behind the single-move resignation...?!?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bruceski posted:

New theory:

Magnus knows Hans was cheating but won't say how because there was interference on his own cheating device which was coincidentally set to the same channel.
He doesn't want to reveal that he can recognize stockfish moves because he's an android

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bruceski posted:

New theory:

The ol’ double vibrator maneuver

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mors Rattus posted:

The ol’ double vibrator maneuver

Oh hey, I saw "Requiem for a Dream" too.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

DalaranJ posted:

I just received a completed version of Thousand Arrows which was a project he was author on. So, James Mendez Hodes himself is still active, but I can’t speak to any other projects he’s on.

I thought the hold up with this project wasn't writing but layout and sensitivity reading. I could be mistaking it for another project, but Thousand Arrows was long overdue.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It had been supposedly text complete since December 2020, then a claimed delay getting new writers for the 3 adventures included, and supposedly proofing on the 'final' final layout started in June 22.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dexo posted:

Yeah Magnus is doing everything in the worst possible way.

If he had even just led with this lawyer rear end statement rather than weeks of pussyfooting around it probably would have come off better.

But also not really a clean way to do this that doesn't involve outright getting sued lol.

American libel law is really lax. As long as Magnus argues he genuially believes Hans was cheating and can offer a fig leaf of evidence, that's usually good enough?

This isn't the UK or Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He can also demonstrate that he genuinely believes he's correct, with the example where he refuses to play.

In America, a surprising amount of law goes to what someone's dumb rear end thinks rather than the truth.

Thought Plan B causes abortion? Deny it to your employees. Mistook your spouse for an intruder? Self-defense.

It's why the Alex Jones trial has been so spectacular: they've been able to show that he didn't believe his own bullshit. If he'd been the dyed in the wool crackpot he portrays himself as (an idiot instead of a grifter) things would be going better for him.

You can say "hell yes I think he's a cheat" in America. I think that would even fly in the UK because you're not tarnishing a reputation already known as a chess cheater.