Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Hahaha, no I love that!

pwn posted:

When Belle and Sebastian did their US tour this past Spring and Summer [...snipped taper stuff...]

You know, I almost added a little note that I do see the value in having video to reference - I recently saw the Monophonics for the first time live and was pretty blown away, so it was cool to have some video from another show to explain the difference in their live sound vs the record to a friend. I think it just gets overwhelming when it's like a quarter of the crowd with their phones up, so you just see a sea of screens instead of the actual show. I'm sure experienced tapers are pretty good about positioning themselves\their recording devices to be less obstructive.

Also I had tickets to Belle and Sebastian when they rolled through Portland, but was under the weather so couldn't make it. My friends did and said it was killer, so I feel your pain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

In marginally-less insane news, my quest to become 12-15 y.o. again continues

It’s alright that album still slaps

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The reason I stopped wearing heavy metal thrift store finds to my DJ nights back in the day. Still remember the guy quizzing me on my Overkill shirt and then hanging around the turntables all night. Lol. Dude I'm just playing 80's pop metal for the crowd.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Megabound posted:

I'm not up to the thrifting part of vinyl yet but have been building up my library by trading in a bunch of stuff that I got off my Dad that hasn't been for me. This has been over the past few months.

I've had Excellent Italian Greyhound on a lot of late, forgot just how good that album was.

Dude Incredible is the greatest album cover of all time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

If you pull up a WZLX playlist (fellow MA goon), it’s as much Green Day, Foo Fighters, and Stone Temple Pilots as it is Rolling Stones and The Who. That’s the premier classic rock radio station in New England.

Oldies formats are even weirder. It used to be 50’s and 60’s pop and r&b, with a little bit of 60’s rock. Now when you find an oldies station it’s almost all 70s and 80s pop. Almost indistinguishable from soft rock stations from when I was growing up, maybe with a little less Air Supply. Classic oldies stations are out there but hard to come across. There isn’t one in the Boston market.

I grew up on WZLX but radio is trash and at this point in my life I never listen to it. But I think my point still stands that most people confuse "old" or even "rock that is classic" for classic rock. It's not how old something is, it's a specific period and in my opinion sort of a broad movement in music based on what were the shifting tastes at the time. People forget that rock as we know it was fairly new in the 60s. The prototype for it was there in the 50s but what evolved into the genre and style overall didn't really come into its own until the 60s at which point it was the dominant form of pop music.

marjorie posted:

...Though for some people not hard enough to discourage bullshit like this (talking nonstop through a show). It's the number one show ruiner for me. Well that and people who hold their phone up to record for long stretches or even the whole drat show, blocking everyone else's view and\or just distracting from it. Be in the moment, guys!

I probably told this story but if not, this was probably the worst instance of people being dickheads at a show. I saw Perfume Genius in 2017 and right next to me was the only straight couple at the entire show. Like the audience was 90% gay dudes the rest was their fag hags, this awful couple, and the lone heterosexual man I brought. So anyway this straight couple was drunk and the whole time they were furiously making out and dry humping. They were right near me too. So the whole time reactions to them were a combination of disdain and people just pointing and laughing. Anyway one of the songs during the encore was called Mr. Peterson which is about a high school teacher who commits suicide because of his feelings of isolation due to his inappropriate attraction to teenagers. And they were like mega horny during that. Then during the big finale song one of them was holding up a phone blocking my view and ignored me when I asked him to lower it. After the show me and a few people were standing around talking wholesale poo poo about them. This was worse than just normal fuckery because they weren't just acting like assholes but they were kind of disrespecting an LGBT space. That said, it was an amazing show and even those two dipshits couldn't ruin it.

marjorie posted:

Also I had tickets to Belle and Sebastian when they rolled through Portland, but was under the weather so couldn't make it. My friends did and said it was killer, so I feel your pain!

Oh so you say you post in this thread? Name three things I complain about all the time!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I once discovered a cool new band from the free CD in the latest issue of Uncut sometime around early 2006. They had a fresh sound I’d never heard before.

I told my dad and he laughed at me.

It was 'Metaphor' by Sparks. :)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

Oh so you say you post in this thread? Name three things I complain about all the time!

1. Life
2. Liberty
3. The Pursuit of Happiness

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There is the flip side to the generational thing: I've had many boomers incredulous that vinyl records are popular again, followed by amazement at how expensive they are now, but the latter is pretty universal.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

The reason I stopped wearing heavy metal thrift store finds to my DJ nights back in the day. Still remember the guy quizzing me on my Overkill shirt and then hanging around the turntables all night. Lol. Dude I'm just playing 80's pop metal for the crowd.

LOL I was in the dispensary waiting to make a purchase and the guy next to me said, "They play this poo poo and they won't play Slayer."

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Turbinosamente posted:

There is the flip side to the generational thing: I've had many boomers incredulous that vinyl records are popular again, followed by amazement at how expensive they are now, but the latter is pretty universal.

This but add in “I have the Skynyrd Street Survivors that’s the album where they died in the crash and they pulled it with the flames and it’s in MINT condition (it was not in mint condition). I want $400 for it, don’t try to lowball me I know what I have.”

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Schremp Howard posted:

This but add in “I have the Skynyrd Street Survivors that’s the album where they died in the crash and they pulled it with the flames and it’s in MINT condition (it was not in mint condition). I want $400 for it, don’t try to lowball me I know what I have.”

Ha, I got mine in absolutely excellent condition for like $10. :kiddo:

It's a good album, but it's no Second Helping. :colbert:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

Ha, I got mine in absolutely excellent condition for like $10. :kiddo:

It's a good album, but it's no Second Helping. :colbert:

Is second helping the worst name for a record ever?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Nah, that's still "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, dredg’s “Chuckles and Mr Squeezy” is a real album title.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

uh no i think that honor goes to

that one also up there for worst cover art imaginable tho i think it loses to that one maiden record

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Honkin' on Bobo is my favorite worst album title.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CaptainBeefart posted:

av/post combo

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

lament.cfg posted:

av/post combo

lol

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This isn't QUITE vinyl-related, but I figured it fit the "kids these days :colbert:" discussion from earlier.

https://twitter.com/pk_kenzie/status/1574473318312251393

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

This isn't QUITE vinyl-related, but I figured it fit the "kids these days :colbert:" discussion from earlier.

eww

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i think i recognize like 3 of those album covers

i mean, i like paramore's after laughter as much as the next guy but it absolutely does not qualify for any sort of influential album list in any universe

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

marjorie posted:

...Though for some people not hard enough to discourage bullshit like this (talking nonstop through a show). It's the number one show ruiner for me. Well that and people who hold their phone up to record for long stretches or even the whole drat show, blocking everyone else's view and\or just distracting from it. Be in the moment, guys!

I was involved in the live music scene for a few years in England then came over to North America. There is a fundamental difference in the way I see these (major) demographics approach live music which for sure have sub-demographics based on genre, popularity of act, venue....but generally speaking England/UK audiences are there for the act, they pay attention to the songs/music and people that want to talk head to the back of venue to chit chat. In North America way more people seem to be going to shows as an excuse to drink and get hosed up, which brings all those lack of inhibitions with it. I've long thought that it plays out this way because England is an island of drunks that can pretty much get pissed/party whenever they like, lunchtime, after work, whatever and it's socially acceptable.....even encouraged. North America is way more loving puritanical and backwards about alcohol, some people are at gigs just to left off steam and they're not going to let someone elses enjoyment get in the way of that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I was at a Neko Case concert a few weeks ago and it was in the suburbs and I swear half the audience had no real interest in her, they were just there as an excuse to hire a sitter, get out of the house and get blitzed and yell at their friends over the music to totally harsh my vibe. Completely unshushable and immune to stinkeye. Just go to the drat bar and save yourselves the price of admission.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just get into bands normal people hate. I've never seen a bad audience at a Melvins show.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I don't go to many shows, but at my last one I went to, I discovered I REALLY loving hate when dumb-rear end kids/drunks start flinging their water bottles around.

1) Sure, the artist is doing it! But that's from the stage, and "[artist] splashed me with water!" is a lot different than "some idiot in the crowd splashed me with water", and

2) HOW much did you pay for that water? Just to...hurl the contents into the crowd behind you?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

midge posted:

I was involved in the live music scene for a few years in England then came over to North America. There is a fundamental difference in the way I see these (major) demographics approach live music which for sure have sub-demographics based on genre, popularity of act, venue....but generally speaking England/UK audiences are there for the act, they pay attention to the songs/music and people that want to talk head to the back of venue to chit chat. In North America way more people seem to be going to shows as an excuse to drink and get hosed up, which brings all those lack of inhibitions with it. I've long thought that it plays out this way because England is an island of drunks that can pretty much get pissed/party whenever they like, lunchtime, after work, whatever and it's socially acceptable.....even encouraged. North America is way more loving puritanical and backwards about alcohol, some people are at gigs just to left off steam and they're not going to let someone elses enjoyment get in the way of that.

go to all-ages shows op

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Please bring back album titles on album covers.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I went to all three nights of Osees shows here in SF a couple weeks back. Also in my thirties though so I got enough experience to know where to be for what I want from a show. Definitely not in a balcony because all you're hearing is convos, not at the front because i dont want to get stuck in the pit area, but just right outside the edge of it where people are still engaged with the show and not talking, but I can still slink in and out of the crowd for more beer or bathroom breaks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

between frank ocean, tyler the creator and earl sweatshirt, that list is like 25% all odd future guys' records

also, if you check the responses, that's like one guy's list that's been reposted

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I recognize a lot of those album covers, but what the gently caress is the blurry face, second row in the middle? :stare:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Barry posted:

Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

Huh, reminds me of the cover of the Seinfeld vaporwave album, I- [gets thrown into the back of a van while screaming "No, but it's GOOD, I swear!"]

https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/george

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

lol that mixtape aint bad at all, much better than the one I bought as a lark the "pikachu" one. its just a slowed down Air record. now im trying to sell that record.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

marjorie posted:

Hahaha, no I love that!

You know, I almost added a little note that I do see the value in having video to reference - I recently saw the Monophonics for the first time live and was pretty blown away, so it was cool to have some video from another show to explain the difference in their live sound vs the record to a friend. I think it just gets overwhelming when it's like a quarter of the crowd with their phones up, so you just see a sea of screens instead of the actual show. I'm sure experienced tapers are pretty good about positioning themselves\their recording devices to be less obstructive.

It's important to note that Belles fans are notoriously well-behaved, between that and not attracting non-fans, it's a good place to be

dorium posted:

It’s alright that album still slaps

"If It's Over", the only pop song inspired by the SNL closing theme, with fully appropriate assist from the SNL Band horns :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Come Taste the Band is definitely one of the worse titles I've come across. It sounds like a Spinal Tap record and is not.

All four MGMT albums are on there. lol

midge posted:

When I was in high school (I'm in the US) there were a few times I ended up in an assembly where they had a few foreign exchange students and everyone could ask them questions about their respective countries. Being as the exchange students were always from around Europe all anyone wanted to ask them about how the lower drinking ages in which ever country each kid was from. Not just that, but then they'd have all these follow up questions about it. It was really lame and kind of sad. Also the exchange students were always really confused as to why everything thought this was such a big deal and only wanted to talk about it.

dorium posted:

I went to all three nights of Osees shows here in SF a couple weeks back. Also in my thirties though so I got enough experience to know where to be for what I want from a show. Definitely not in a balcony because all you're hearing is convos, not at the front because i dont want to get stuck in the pit area, but just right outside the edge of it where people are still engaged with the show and not talking, but I can still slink in and out of the crowd for more beer or bathroom breaks.

I find myself enjoying concerts less and less because of the general behavior of crowds at them. Plus the tickets to a lot of poo poo I like costs 2-5 times what they use to. And yeah, yeah I complain about record pricing. But when it's 50-100 bucks to see a show that's a complete loving ripoff, I don't care who it is. At least with a record if I decide I've overpaid I can just sell it to someone else.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah at this point its band dependent for pricing. Osees was reasonable at 40 a show, but my brother went and saw that Kendrick Lamar show recently and paid $300 out of pocket for a ticket. These big namers are obviously scrambling to recoup two years of losses, but so is everyone else at this point. On top of all that promoters and the venues and the ticket sale sites are jacking them up even more.

at least ive seen most of the big acts ive wanted to years ago so now its predominately smaller bands I want to support and see live and their shows are like $20 most of the time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

midge posted:

Haha this is a good and rather generous obs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Entirely too many brockhampton albums in that list (more than zero)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CaptainBeefart posted:

Tyrannosaurus Rex's My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows doesn't fall into the stupid bad category, but has to earn at least 1/4 of a point for mystical poet bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Tyrannosaurus Rex's My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows doesn't fall into the stupid bad category, but has to earn at least 1/4 of a point for mystical poet bad.

That is pretty good. I only learned Aerosmith did one called Honkin on Bobo though so you have to give me a few weeks before I stop laughing at that one