Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

it's pretty amusing to me that i can tap on an ad in instagram for something i'm not interested in buying but the ad grabbed me for some reason + boredom. then, i get an onslaught of ads for a similar service/device/whatever and i just giggle knowing that company is wasting impressions on an uninterested end user.

meta still gets paid so that's still "bad" i guess but that's what makes the world go 'round. if you think your unique, bespoke implementation of a slim wallet is going to outperform all the dozens (hundreds?) of other exact-same products on the market and you wanna pay zuck to shove that poo poo in front of my eyeballs and i'm not gonna buy it anyway, that's on you pal.

page snipe android related topic: i'm excited for the pixel watch/made by google event and bummed it's still another week and a half away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think people really really need to temper expectations on the Pixel Watch because it's likely going to be barely adequate and already looking like it's going to be over priced.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i'm cautiously optimistic. i keep hearing it's running on two-year-old specs and the bezel chat is going crazy on reddit

i currently use a fitbit luxe which does the job well enough for most of what i want it to do (sleep track, primarily). but it would be nice to have a more fully fleshed out fitness watch that can also track elevation for the rare hike or bike ride.

one thing i'm actually somewhat worried about is that on the luxe it's very simple to slide over to and set timers for laundry or cooking. i'm worried the pixel watch might overly complicate navigation or rely heavily on "ok google" which will wake up my phone and the 4+ GH speakers i have in my apartment.

still, i'm excited to get an actual look at what they're trying to pull off since it's been rumored for years now.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I think people really really need to temper expectations on the Pixel Watch because it's likely going to be barely adequate and already looking like it's going to be over priced.

I keep seeing people say "if that's what they're charging, it must be great!" and, lol, no.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It’s crazy to me that they are going to charge $50 more than an Apple Watch SE and $70 more than a Galaxy Watch 5. Fitbit integration is nice, but it’s not worth that unless they are giving you fitbit premium for the life of the device. Also, the physical design doesn’t exactly scream “robust fitness tracker.”

I also suspect it will be a hot 5 minutes after it’s released before the Fitbit app is available on the Galaxy Watch 5 though either unofficial or even official means.

ALL of that may be moot too if the Health Services api finally starts being used by everyone that signed on to it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really want the Pixel 7 Pro if and only if they address the battery life. Ugh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really want the Pixel 7 Pro if and only if they address the battery life. Ugh.

Is your battery life still crap on WiFi? Mobile data, whether 4G or 5G, absolutely hammers my battery, but just using WiFi it's like a different device.

I think I'll probably skip the 7 even if it addresses that issue, the upgrades this time round, if they're what's rumoured, are looking really minor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is your battery life still crap on WiFi? Mobile data, whether 4G or 5G, absolutely hammers my battery, but just using WiFi it's like a different device.

I think I'll probably skip the 7 even if it addresses that issue, the upgrades this time round, if they're what's rumoured, are looking really minor.

Nope! Wifi is great and normal! It's the cell radio that clearly has a bad drain issue :(

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Fitbit integration is nice, but it’s not worth that unless they are giving you fitbit premium for the life of the device.

no shot. even apple with their refined and market-dominating product offering still has a paid subscription to supplement what you get out of the box.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It’s crazy to me that they are going to charge $50 more than an Apple Watch SE and $70 more than a Galaxy Watch 5.

I would gladly pay an extra $50 to get a Galaxy watch 5 without all the Samsung poo poo (mostly the godawful ugly Apple-aping app drawer). Pixel watch doesn't have to be great, just the least bad option.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't use the app drawer almost ever, just boot up the exercise widget from the cards to the right of the home screen

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm gonna laugh if I am somehow the only person who ends up with a Pixel 7. (Though the 6a is more likely)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If t-mobile or google give me $500 for the 6 again, and/or if the 7 is actually a little smaller, I'll probably get it too

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I would gladly pay an extra $50 to get a Galaxy watch 5 without all the Samsung poo poo (mostly the godawful ugly Apple-aping app drawer). Pixel watch doesn't have to be great, just the least bad option.

There’s still little compelling evidence that it’s going to be least bad even compared to the WearOS 2 options on the market like the Fossil Gen 6 or the Ticwatch pro 3.

It’s also going to alienate a ton of people by the single size option. 40mm is a no go for me, looks like I’m wearing something out of a child’s cereal box. That will also hurt it severely on battery.

The Watch 5 is a really polished experience even if you aren’t using a Samsung phone and the Pro is the best thing WearOS has ever seen. Right now, the Pixel watch really looks like the hardware development stopped in late 2020 when they realized they weren’t going to be able to launch a functional WearOS 3 in 2021. So they froze the hardware target, shipped the beta off to Samsung to patch up for the Galaxy Watch 4, and then proceeded to do basically nothing with the hardware for over a year while they dragged generic WearOS 3 out of beta.

The fact that the (hopefully wrong) leaked price is $349 is just baffling. I would be willing to forgive a lot of the first attempt stuff at a $250-$270 price point, but at $349 it’s going to become a punchline.

That’s the biggest issue. The size means I’m probably not going to get one unless there’s a really good bundle discount with the Pixel 7 Pro and I already have Watch 5 and Watch 5 Pro. It’s probably not a device for me and that’s fine.

What I care about though is building of hype around such a low effort execution that threatens to undermine the momentum that Samsung has been building in the WearOS space since the release of the Watch 4. We are going to go from generally positive articles about the Galaxy Watch 5 and how it’s been growing WearOS market share to blistering “WTF was google thinking, they clearly have no idea what they are doing with their wearable platform” articles in October. Now wearOS is bad again. Without a viable first party product, app makers will start deprioritizing the platform again.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Apple-aping app drawer

it's not even an apple copy at this point considering their watchos has had an alphabetical list of apps for years now

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

sourdough posted:

If t-mobile or google give me $500 for the 6 again, and/or if the 7 is actually a little smaller, I'll probably get it too

leaks suggest the 7 is smaller than the 6 (it should be too since that bezel is huge as gently caress) but the pro versions of each are the same size

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's pretty amusing to me that i can tap on an ad in instagram for something i'm not interested in buying but the ad grabbed me for some reason + boredom. then, i get an onslaught of ads for a similar service/device/whatever and i just giggle knowing that company is wasting impressions on an uninterested end user.

Highly recommend occasionally searching charter jets, sailboats, yacht charters, expensive CNC machinery etc on occasion. Really spices up the ad mix for a few weeks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BoosterDuck posted:

leaks suggest the 7 is smaller than the 6 (it should be too since that bezel is huge as gently caress) but the pro versions of each are the same size

The Pixel 6 bezels are huge as gently caress?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Re: privacy chat. It seems that Google is cracking down on Ad blocking solutions that rely on a VPN: https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/30/google_play_vpn_rules_changed/

quote:

DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Android, which creates a local VPN service to make its App Tracking Protection block tracker server connections, as a potential casualty of the new Play policy.

DuckDuckGo, however, isn't convinced. "We don't believe we’ll be impacted by the policy but our team is continuing to review it," a spokesperson for the company told The Register in an email.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Something else fun. I use cloudflare for DNS over TLS on my router. As of ~September 22nd all Google apps on my phone no longer work when connected to my wifi. The playstore can't update any apps, everything else acts like I'm offline. Disabling DoT makes everything work but I feel like the issue is on Google's end? (I also tried adguard's DoT and had the same result)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Brutakas posted:

Re: privacy chat. It seems that Google is cracking down on Ad blocking solutions that rely on a VPN: https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/30/google_play_vpn_rules_changed/

I don't believe that self-hosted vpns would be affected here (like a wireguard tunnel back to your home which is protected by a pi-hole instance).

Similarly dns only blockers would be entirely unaffected here as they are not vpn's. So NextDNS should be unaffected.

Google is also cracking down on adblockers with manifest v3. But Brave will be unaffected by this because their adblocker is not implemented through the addon api and is directly cooked into the browser and so isn't exposed to those limitations. I believe they are also planning on keeping support for manifest v2 regardless of what google does on their branch of Chromium (but have reserved the right to drop support if it becomes a real pain to maintain) so other adblockers should still work fine on their browser.

Firefox based browsers will still work happily with Manifest v2 of course.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Pixel 6 bezels are huge as gently caress?

yeah wtf google is this supposed to be a modern flagship phone or a budget samsung galaxy series xyz from metropcs in 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pixel 6 by Google

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You have a bizarre definition of huge.

The Pixel 6 uses a rigid oled display for cost and for ease of repair. That prevents the display from being folded over at the bottom so that the display driver can be placed behind the display.

It has similar bezels to other phones in its price class in 2022 like the Samsung A53.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bezels are fine, nay, good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay but how do we feel about notches?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
https://youtu.be/OfM0GqsIB6c

So here’s a story… heating… up.

It’s a shame if this becomes A Thing mostly because I wanted to get a smaller S23 next year. Maybe the Zenphone 10 will be as neat as the 9.

There’s not enough data to actually make any real conclusions, but where there’s smoke, there’s fire :v:

I wonder if it’s just a storage thing. These folks affected all use these phones for a two week period and then literally shelve them, while using and charging batteries normally promotes healthier degradation, iirc.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 27, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe they made the battery hole too small again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Watch it be something due to the way they cement their batteries into their phone causing them to damage themselves because there's so little flex when there's thermal expansions/contractions.

But it's also Mrwhoestheboss and he sensationalizes everything to the point where his videos are the worst parts of junk tech journalism.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 27, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

But it's also Mrwhoestheboss and he sensationalizes everything to the point where his videos are the worst parts of junk tech journalism.

Zach/JerryRigEverything and MKBHD are in the video as well, and Mr. Mobile is quoted.

I’ve heard MKBHD talk about swollen Samsung phones on his podcast, and I haven’t listened to that show a ton.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looking to get a cheapish refurb phone and Woot has some for sale (I've bought a few in the past from them no problem and I can use my Amazon account with some credit).

If I'm comparing an S20 FE 5G and S20 and P4 (all in the same cheapish price range).... which would y'all get? I'm leaning towards the Pixel 4 just because I like the Pixel experience and, while I haven't owned a Samsung phone, I'm not a fan of the UX every time I help my mom with hers. Also camera is most important feature to me. Just wondering if there is something I'm not thinking of.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Looking to get a cheapish refurb phone and Woot has some for sale (I've bought a few in the past from them no problem and I can use my Amazon account with some credit).

If I'm comparing an S20 FE 5G and S20 and P4 (all in the same cheapish price range).... which would y'all get? I'm leaning towards the Pixel 4 just because I like the Pixel experience and, while I haven't owned a Samsung phone, I'm not a fan of the UX every time I help my mom with hers. Also camera is most important feature to me. Just wondering if there is something I'm not thinking of.

The pixel 4 (basic model, not 4xl or 4a) battery was notoriously poor at release, can't imagine it'll be great today

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sourdough posted:

The pixel 4 (basic model, not 4xl or 4a) battery was notoriously poor at release, can't imagine it'll be great today

Ah, that's good to know. Battery life is definitely important too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I would aim higher and try to get a Pixel 5 if not a Pixel 6a, but I don't know poo poo about refurbs and Woot.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I would aim higher and try to get a Pixel 5 if not a Pixel 6a, but I don't know poo poo about refurbs and Woot.

Yeah, deep discounted 5, or 6a or normal 6 on some sale or tradein special, would be my go to, if possible

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sourdough posted:

Yeah, deep discounted 5, or 6a or normal 6 on some sale or tradein special, would be my go to, if possible

My phone is broken unfortunately so no trade-in value (of any significance). I'm really really looking to keep it around $250. There are better options on Amazon but more of a risk.

I can also wait a little, I'm using a backup Pixel 3.

edit: imma just wait til the new Prime days in 2 weeks and grab something from Warehouse for an extra 20% off or something.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 27, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BonoMan posted:

My phone is broken unfortunately so no trade-in value (of any significance). I'm really really looking to keep it around $250. There are better options on Amazon but more of a risk.

I can also wait a little, I'm using a backup Pixel 3.

edit: imma just wait til the new Prime days in 2 weeks and grab something from Warehouse for an extra 20% off or something.

I'd sell you my Pixel 6 but the bezels are loving massive

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can understand how you can't find a box big enough to fit them in.

It's funny, I wasn't all that excited for the Pixel 7 Pro at the end of last month when I was having all manner of shiney new stuff come in. I basically switched off from my Pixel 6 Pro to the OnePlus 10T and the Fold 4 (current sim location) since I got back from Disney at the end of august.

I really like both of those devices for different reasons. The 10T has insane charging speeds, superfast performance, a near perfect feel in the hand, and long battery life. The Fold 4 is just a neat device that I enjoy using.

Then I boot up the Pixel 6 Pro to run some app updates (and access a few things that are still only setup on it) and man, it feels like coming home. So, now I'm excited for the 7 Pro again because any improvement on the Pixel 6 Pro is going to push it that much closer to a perfect device for me.

I'll probably keep the SIM in the Fold 4 until I get the Pixel 7 Pro (Hazel) shipped to me, but then I'll probably be back to Pixel as primary phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 27, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Then I boot up the Pixel 6 Pro to run some app updates (and access a few things that are still only setup on it) and man, it feels like coming home.

Anything in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anything in particular?

I could list a whole bunch of little things, but it really boils down to the fact that Google is evolving UI design while OneUI is standing still and OxygenOS is regressing. Both of those feel like using old (albeit very fast) devices.