Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Mister Facetious posted:

Could someone please explain to me why "plausible deniability" just does not exist in the Russian Playbook?

Because they haven't needed it in a long time. They do something, it's obvious it's them, they deny it for a while, then later make threats about how they'll do it again. What's the world going to do about it? If they catch flak for it, it's useful internal propaganda to continue the narrative that the West hate Russia. If they don't, it's useful propaganda that the West is weak, and only Russia is strong and willing to do what is required.

They've undergone sanctions in some form or other before and have always skated through. If Russia's initial projection of a couple days of war before installing a puppet was correct, Europe and Russia would probably be approaching some form of business as usual when it comes to some parts of the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
First they bomb their own city, then they bomb their prison, then they bomb their own nuclear plant, and now they are bombing their own pipeline, does the depravity of Russia know no bounds?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ynglaur posted:

Honest question: has the Ukrainian General Staff been mostly accurate? I haven't followed and validated them closely enough to know one way or the other.

I have never found them to outright tell falsehoods as they understand it. Although they are known to lie through omission.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Could someone please explain to me why "plausible deniability" just does not exist in the Russian Playbook?

Because like the "little green men" that started this whole thing off, the point is to do something so that everyone knows you've done it but you've thrown just enough chaff in the air and been intimidating enough that they can't take the full action against you.

It's a little wild man diplomacy and a little "I'm not touching your face". See also Russia's love of frozen conflicts.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Because like the "little green men" that started this whole thing off, the point is to do something so that everyone knows you've done it but you've thrown just enough chaff in the air and been intimidating enough that they can't take the full action against you.

It's a little wild man diplomacy and a little "I'm not touching your face". See also Russia's love of frozen conflicts.

Theories like this are pretty compelling until you end up in a situation like Ukraine. Russia was pulling stuff like this when it worked, and then it stopped working and they kept going.

When dumb lies work, either you're dumb or a genius. When they don't work and you keep doing them, it kinda takes the genius option off the table.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

fez_machine posted:

The next obvious question then is, why loving do it? No one buys it, you're gonna do what you were doing anyway, and you operate the equivalent of a mafia state where the rules are made up and changed at will.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

The next obvious question then is, why loving do it? No one buys it, you're gonna do what you were doing anyway, and you operate the equivalent of a mafia state where the rules are made up and changed at will.

I think it might be, or they feel that it is, necessary to sell it to the actual russian population. See! They all wanted to join and are happy to be rid of the nazi Zelensky. We certainly didn't do a bad imperialism and just steal land and people, we're not Amerikkka

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

First they bomb their own city, then they bomb their prison, then they bomb their own nuclear plant, and now they are bombing their own pipeline, does the depravity of Russia know no bounds?

Oh right... the whole bombing the Nuclear plant that they entirely control, like not even vaguely contested at this moment. Anyone doubting why Russia would blow up their own pipeline please recall that this is the same country that at this moment has loaded up an active nuclear power plant with military equipment and has been shelling it at random over the last few months. Even though an accident there would drain radioactive waste directly into Crimea.

This is a man and a government that doesn't even care about 2023, they care about "winning" and blackmail right now.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

mobby_6kl posted:

I think it might be, or they feel that it is, necessary to sell it to the actual russian population. See! They all wanted to join and are happy to be rid of the nazi Zelensky. We certainly didn't do a bad imperialism and just steal land and people, we're not Amerikkka

That would be plausible if they had prepped this for the first few weeks and was done before the mobilization.

It's all so hodgepodge and stupid.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wouldn’t suggest taking them as the sole source for anything - it’s not in their professional interest to share accurate information in a timely fashion.

I agree. I'm asking if anyone itt has a sense of how accurate they have been thus far. "Past performance does not guarantee future performance" certainly applies, of course.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Rybar appears to disagree with WarGonzo that AFU have taken Kolodyazi, if my machine translation is accurate https://t.me/rybar/39459

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I agree. I'm asking if anyone itt has a sense of how accurate they have been thus far. "Past performance does not guarantee future performance" certainly applies, of course.

What they tell you is generally accurate, given the fog of war and necessity of estimates. They've shared remarkably detailed intelligence of what's going on in Russia that often was confirmed later.

What they choose not to tell you matters, though. And the way they present what they do is obviously intended to paint the picture they want you to see.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

They had money left over from printing the other ones and just decided to have fun with it

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Chalks posted:

Lots of maps at the moment agree on one thing: Russia is in serious trouble in Lyman

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1574807077138173952

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1574816455526424582
cinci edit: :nms: tweet is safe, but don't scroll up
https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1574810976695762945

Autocrats ordering their generals to not retreat under any circumstances usually works well

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 27, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Pretty telling which parties are pushing the USA did it narrative

truly

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/1574813329578758144

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Another motive for Russia to sabotage the pipeline could be to have something newsworthy to divert attention from further Ukrainian gains/Putin's mobilization debacle, burying it under a mass of pointless speculation and Clancychatting.

Judging by this thread at least. :v:

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 27, 2022

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

smug n stuff posted:

Rybar appears to disagree with WarGonzo that AFU have taken Kolodyazi, if my machine translation is accurate https://t.me/rybar/39459

Looks like he's saying Kolodyazi got attacked from 3 sides which indicates Ukraine are further south than most of the maps show.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

My sources say the death penalty, for espionage, being considered for Vladimir Putin. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

MikeC posted:

I have never found them to outright tell falsehoods as they understand it. Although they are known to lie through omission.

They were solidly more on the ghost of kiev end of the spectrum early on, since they've been having more operational success they've become generally pretty accurate, albeit as cinci said, they aren't breaking any news about troop movements, nor is everything presented with necessarily the full context. Also depends what part of them is being discussed, the briefings and official statements are pretty grounded in reality but they also do some shitposty PR stuff that is... shitposty PR stuff. The operational details they post 'eg x town was fought over, push was repelled in y town, missiles hitting w city' pretty much all matches up with independent reports. The only exception is when there's a new push or offensive shaping up and they tend not to give a lot of details beyond that something happened.

basically yeah I wouldn't take them as a solitary source on stuff, but most of what they post ends up checking out.

also there's documentation now of POWs who have their mobilization papers from the 21st, so I guess that's settled

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
My favorite detail is the square emblem "seal", meticulously cut out from an inkjet printout and pasted on with craft glue. Clearly they had their best 10-year-olds on the job!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

man they got louisemench and partisangirl arguing that the US did it? now I'm actually convinced it was Russia that blew them

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Herstory Begins Now posted:

also there's documentation now of POWs who have their mobilization papers from the 21st, so I guess that's settled

That was a pretty fast turnaround on the question of how russia would play this out.

Yet again, you couldn't rule out putin doing something simply because it would be horribly stupid and immensely cruel...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I agree with MikeC in that regard:

MikeC posted:

They won’t mention bad things “on time”, and they sometimes fool around with the day’s events, to egg on Russian observers, but their reports that describe things like 2-3 days ago are adequate enough, bar the patriotic numbers inflation that’s bound to be happening. Much better than RU MoD’s “we’ve shot down 70 of Ukraine’s 20 Bayraktars” at any rate.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Did anyone yet point out the timing of this pipeline thing? It could be an attempt to draw foreign attention away from the "referendums". If so, I'd say it was a successful plan.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

kemikalkadet posted:

Looks like he's saying Kolodyazi got attacked from 3 sides which indicates Ukraine are further south than most of the maps show.

He says that joint 20th GCAA and volunteers forces fought off a simultaneous Ukrainian assault on Kolodyazi from 3 directions. Considering that there's a river behind it, this would imply that the area north of Lyman is overrun.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

d64 posted:

Did anyone yet point out the timing of this pipeline thing? It could be an attempt to draw foreign attention away from the "referendums". If so, I'd say it was a successful plan.

Nah, unlike the media, governments actually can and do think and breathe at the same time. The US will respond when Russia does what we all expect and officially annexes the territories within the next few days. If Russia blew up these pipelines that will only give the US more fodder to back up whatever the planned response is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He says that joint 20th GCAA and volunteers forces fought off a simultaneous Ukrainian assault on Kolodyazi from 3 directions. Considering that there's a river behind it, this would imply that the area north of Lyman is overrun.

There is apparently footage from Zelena Dolyna at least:
https://mobile.twitter.com/auditor_ya/status/1574878753159008256

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fez_machine posted:

Is there some error in translation why Russia doesn't know they're coming off as utterly incompetent to anyone that isn't a Tucker Carlson viewer/neo nazi?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there some error in translation why Russia doesn't know they're coming off as utterly incompetent to anyone that isn't a Tucker Carlson viewer/neo nazi?

No, it’s just intentional “well, what you’re going to do about it” behaviour.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

No, because just about every right/far-right wing party is following some form of this playbook. Russia's mask fell off years before, and they've been way more effective in turning rhetoric into results, but the embrace of lies, "alternative facts" and disregard for law or democracy is very much the same as Trump's admin.

There's no translation issue, this is what fascism looks like. It's a built in feature.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
P

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Agreed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1574906007414767619

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1574656461287919616

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Because it works and had worked right up until the current war. I can't think of an Russia incited action in this style from the past decade or so that hasn't had a big upside for Putin.

Even in the current war, if the decapitation strike had worked and the Ukrainian government was replaced by stooges, what could NATO and the EU have done? Funded partisans? Maybe. But otherwise I'd guess there'd be far less political will to divest from Russian gas and keep hard sanctions long term. In my estimation, very little that'd effect Putin materially comparable to the benefits of having a quisling Ukraine.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
An interesting write up:
https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1574792146720374784

(Probably better in article form, unless you have a thing for 60-tweet threads)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Honestly, though the entire situation is poo poo I think if I were a conscript in that situation I'd appreciate that at least I got a commander who isn't trying to polish the turd we're being fed and who seems to quietly agree that it's all bullshit even if he's not quite saying it outright. It's obviously not ideal but it's better than getting a screamer in command or someone trying to pretend everything is fine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

OddObserver posted:

An interesting write up:
https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1574792146720374784

(Probably better in article form, unless you have a thing for 60-tweet threads)
This is a good article, thanks for posting it. Nothing in it is super surprising, but it's just a different way of framing resistance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is just someone recording their speech and applying echo filter to it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I know this is probably a technical term but I'm instead going to assume you're talking about the farm animal

Last page, but regularly pigging usually helps to mitigate the risk of corrosion, but once corrosion has set in, I'm not sure that a pig can really address it thoroughly. It could be used to clean the pipeline though.