Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
larboard = left, like in larboard
and then it's a simple process of elimination. Starboard must be right, farboard must be back, harboard is of course the front, tarboard the bottom, and carboard is the top (except on British ships between 1930 and 1950). It's all wildly simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish they had made more Master and Commander movies, that was a good one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boatswain is such a long word to say, could someone please shorten it for me?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pwnstar posted:

The secret technique for this books is that you don't try to understand what the hell anyone is talking about when they use nautical terms. Just let it breeze past you and you'll pick up the vibe of whats happening anyway.

Literally the only way to read any Melville. Holy poo poo that dude loves talking about boats

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish they had made more Master and Commander movies, that was a good one

I saw it in theaters with my old man and while I enjoyed it as a teen, its definitely a dad movie. I should probably revisit it now that I'm all grown up

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Fal'Cies gives l'Cies a Focus they must complete, or they turn into a Fo'c'sle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
some folks'll never crew a ship, but then again some forecastle

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Thinking about brand collabs, I don't think any SE brand has made it to Fortnite, which is surprising given their willingness to make money doing at any cost.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haha what posted:

nier automata owns

2017 best year on gaming

Yotg thread was rigged

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I liked Jedi Fallen Order. It was a good, comfy, Star Wars game. It wasn't transcendent or doing anything new with the gameplay it presented. A good 7/10.

Yeah it was good fun. Looking forward to the sequel a lot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

i might play the sequel on whatever difficulty allows me to kill regular stormtroopers with one hit and them not surviving stagger breaks

Also, I hope they stop coordinating with wild animals to set up Souls-style ambushes against me? Felt super fake

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have a few more thoughts on good things i like about gundam evolution:

1) the ping system in game is a very good design choice, it's pretty responsive and you can ping enemies while you're dead and waiting to respawn, so that time doesn't feel completely wasted as you can still give information to your team. AND it basically means i will never have to actually turn on voice chat, and that is a very powerful thing.

2) the lootboxes give a pity currency when you get duplicates which i now remember is the same sort of deal that overwatch had, it's just been so long since i played OW that i forgot. but it's good design, i don't feel bad about getting duplicates (looking at you, path of exile loot boxes).

3) i can't think of a 3rd thing at this point but i have a 78% win rate with Zaku Melee and that is very fun. he's just the kind of playstyle i like. bait the enemy team into dumping a bunch of damage into you, fueling your RAGE, and then when your RAGE is maxed you can pop on a bunch of superarmor and just go absolutely apeshit and kill everybody with a big fuckin' axe. 10/10

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a 45% winrate because half the teams I play with don't understand you need to stand on the point to win or actively flee from it

So par for the course for Overwatch

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Saint Freak posted:

larboard = left, like in larboard
and then it's a simple process of elimination. Starboard must be right, farboard must be back, harboard is of course the front, tarboard the bottom, and carboard is the top (except on British ships between 1930 and 1950). It's all wildly simple.

I never thought that fighting Omega would prep me for reading Master and Commander

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I never thought that fighting Omega would prep me for reading Master and Commander

"chicken tenders, ready to fry"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thank you Return of the Obra Dinn for teaching us what an orlop deck is

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Pwnstar posted:

The secret technique for this books is that you don't try to understand what the hell anyone is talking about when they use nautical terms. Just let it breeze past you and you'll pick up the vibe of whats happening anyway.

Funny and true. I had an old copy of Joseph Conrad short stories that I recently decided to read and one, “The Narcissus” is dense with nautical jargon (and an above-average amount of racism). Every time there was a paragraph lovingly detailing how the sailors would tend to the ropes or the sails or hatches or whatever I just pictured “boat work” like a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean and let it go. It’s never important, it’s just set dressing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

topmast pole
Part of the spar between the hounds and the truck.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

haveblue posted:

Our game is founded on the interplay between carefully designed unique characters, which is why we're taking inspiration from the game where morty can fight goku

This is like half the reason I don't play Smite anymore, all the crossover skins make it really, really hard to determine what character they're actually playing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
South Korea just gave a game rating to a new Silent Hill game :thunkher:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This screams mobile game to me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I said come in! posted:

This screams mobile game to me.

Finally, a gacha that jumpscares you when you pull.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Oh dear,
I was about to get the new Hoi4 DLC, but then I saw that Blue Reflection is on sale and now I'm faced with a real difficult choice here.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Blue reflection: second light is the good one

OG blue reflection is pretty whatever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is 100% correct.

Master and Commander is written for two audiences. Boat nerds, for whom Jack is the protagonist; and non-boat-nerds, for whom Maturin is the protagonist. Just channel Maturin and embrace his, and your, ignorance of wtf is going on with the boats.

I like boats and sailing and wish I had experience with them. I like the nautical jargon so it will be fine. Not an issue with the text itself but rather the chronic fatigue that weighs ever heavier the longer I read, until reaching the point of exhaustion where my brain's capacity to make sense shuts down and my sentence structure operates the way room loading works in metroid prime or I luck out and reach the zenith of exhaustion and, like the sun in the sky directly overhead, my shadow of exhaustion disappears for a brief moment and everything makes sense. Then I crash.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Try reading JR

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GoW2:

"It's a giant worm! They're sinking cities with a giant worm!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Try reading JR

What's that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A novel told entirely in unattributed dialogue with no discernable breaks between scenes, either diegetically or through chapters or paragraphs.

But the entire reading experience is designed to be as confused, muddled, half understood, and exhausting as modern life. So you'll be reading it the way Gaddis intended

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Rarity posted:

GoW2:

Legitimately the peak of the entire Gears of War series

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Rarity posted:

GoW2:

Which Greek god was this?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
THE MOTHERFUCKING COLE TRAIN :black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flapjack Monty posted:

Legitimately the peak of the entire Gears of War series

Yep

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh gently caress Tai :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

A novel told entirely in unattributed dialogue with no discernable breaks between scenes, either diegetically or through chapters or paragraphs.

But the entire reading experience is designed to be as confused, muddled, half understood, and exhausting as modern life. So you'll be reading it the way Gaddis intended

Yeah that sounds like me alright

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
CARMINE

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA MAKE IT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:negative:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
should have voted for 'live'

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tears of war 😢

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got swallowed by a giant worm. Pausing for the night but this game is kind of good so far? I mean the gameplay is ho hum cover shooter whatever but the story is pretty tight. It feels like they tried to actually make an effort with it this time round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

are oyu on coke those games are unplayably unfun