Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

bahahahaha would that even meaningfully change the CG

Yeah it would particularly at a high angle of roll, but.... then you have just lost your superstructure and everything with it, killing God knows how many, many of whom are your nav crew and taking the wheelhouse with it. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jarmak posted:

The Baltic in that region is like 50m deep, that's within recreational diving depth.

50m is a little beyond rec limits (recreational diving typically stops at 40m/130ft, per PADI/NAUI/SDI). The no-decompression limits at that depth get so short (according to those agencies) that it’s assumed to be a decompression dive if you’re beyond that. You’re probably looking at rebreathers and decompression procedures, if you want any amount of bottom time down there. The alternative is taking like 4 tanks down with you, one as a travel-gas, 2 for working at depth, and the last one as a bailout if something goes wrong on the others. Would make it harder to carry any other things (like explosives). Open-circuit deep dives are extremely gear-intensive, rebreathers make things more streamlined.

Your larger point still stands, though: I know divers in the recreational world that have the gear to make a dive to that depth and return safely. A diver propulsion vehicle would extend their deployment/escape range as well, these are also available for civilians to pick up (I know a diving quarry that rents out big ones).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah it would particularly at a high angle of roll, but.... then you have just lost your superstructure and everything with it, killing God knows how many, many of whom are your nav crew and taking the wheelhouse with it. Whoops.

Seems like wish fulfillment on the part of a swabbie. Jettison non-essential ship parts and personnel to save the real heroes (us)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1574750288879181824?s=20&t=IndRacks8a9pWtnzNivuKA

:captainpop:

Check that loitering pattern!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nobody tell alex jones

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Grip it and rip it posted:

That's exactly my point with respect to whether the US government had ever named the names of the individuals Snowden's leaks are supposed to have killed

But its a lovely argument, you cant disprove the statement that snowdens leaks got spies killed because the government wont name their spies.

Snowden released a lot of documents about spy programs and was responsible for shuttering the spy program in Afghanistan. You think the taliban are going to say "well, they shut the program down, better not look any further into it!"?? If you do, youre dumber than your argument.

GD_American posted:

I’m assuming that blowing up undersea pipelines in a covert fashion requires a pretty non-trivial amount of resources only available to state actors.

Curious- I’m assuming they torpedoed it, but do Russian subs even have the same kind of special ops insertion capabilities we do?

One of the ends to the pipeline is in russia, they couldve just used a pig launcher and shot a quantity of explosives down the pipeline and remote detonated it.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 27, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

holy poo poo

there's a white sea

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

bahahahaha would that even meaningfully change the CG

Only if they attached enough rockets to the superstructure to blast it clear of the ship. Otherwise it'd just turn it into a loose pile of topweight cluttering the deck. Plus you've just blown up your command and navigation team, which might be a benefit but there's better ways to do that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

My Spirit Otter posted:

One of the ends to the pipeline is in russia, they couldve just used a pig launcher and shot a quantity of explosives down the pipeline and remote detonated it.

That’s so loving simple I’m angry it didn’t occur to me

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Only if they attached enough rockets to the superstructure to blast it clear of the ship. Otherwise it'd just turn it into a loose pile of topweight cluttering the deck. Plus you've just blown up your command and navigation team, which might be a benefit but there's better ways to do that.

The better more awesome solution is to mount rocket motors to the ship and ignite them to right the ship if it rolls too far to one side.

Also yeah, the explosive pig theory sounds so simple that Russia should probably be feeling ashamed if they were behind it and didn't do it this way.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

it would be incredibly obvious if the pipe burst from the inside

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PookBear posted:

it would be incredibly obvious if the pipe burst from the inside

When has the cause of a murder explosion being incredibly obvious made Russia give a poo poo? Half the time that's the point for anyone with a clue and they'll just lie to every one else.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

There's pressure monitoring at the end, right? If you shot anything down into the pipe, those would certainly see it, no?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Xakura posted:

There's pressure monitoring at the end, right? If you shot anything down into the pipe, those would certainly see it, no?

Beyond what pigs are for, i dont really know enough about them to say whether or not launching one would cause pressure alarms to go off.

I dont think it would, because i assume you wouldnt want too much pressure when firing a pig, so that it doesnt rocket out of a 90° bend

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Couldn't the Russians just install the charges in the first place?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

My Spirit Otter posted:

I dont think it would, because i assume you wouldnt want too much pressure when firing a pig, so that it doesnt rocket out of a 90° bend

you assumed wrong, apparently lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’d like to report a murder.

https://twitter.com/markhertling/status/1574834395499958282?s=46&t=jCX88yQFOma__A1m2107Mw

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm gonna need to see the changes to the GM here to believe it. Any consequential mass is going to be at the flight deck or below I would assume.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Seven months in and these turds still think the Russian army is the ideal.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you assumed wrong, apparently lol

Ok, you dont want it rocketing out of the pipe in the wrong spot

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
okay, fair

Stultus Maximus posted:

Seven months in and these turds still think the Russian army is the ideal.

lowkey the far right needs to have a moment of reckoning about a so-called 'woke' army being the strongest military on the planet by a significant margin because it sure seems like limiting your manpower and knowledge pool down to the like 20% of your country that is straight, male and sufficiently right wing is not the winning move unless you want to be permanently at a huge disadvantage

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 27, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

lightpole posted:

I'm gonna need to see the changes to the GM here to believe it. Any consequential mass is going to be at the flight deck or below I would assume.

Madurai posted:

One of the persistent tribal lore stories on the CGN I served on was that there were explosive bolts that held on the upper parts of the superstructure, controlled by some means of mercury switches or gyros or something, that would cut the topworks of the ship off if the roll angle exceeded some predetermined amount, to keep the ship from capsizing. It was dramatic as hell and obviously bullshit, because any system like that would have accidentally fired at some point in the years of service, maintenance processes being what they are.

I'm going to assume they served on a Virginia class (not the sub)

Comedy option: they served on a Kirov

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xakura posted:

:thunk:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Xakura posted:

I'm going to assume they served on a Virginia class (not the sub)

Oops I was thinking CV cause nothing else made any sense. On a CGN its going to be at the main deck or below, the superstructure still doesn't add much.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GD_American posted:

Seems like wish fulfillment on the part of a swabbie. Jettison non-essential ship parts and personnel to save the real heroes (us)

I was thinking pit snipe, but yeah, this. Fine example of the Navy horseshit mill in action, though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Beyond what pigs are for, i dont really know enough about them to say whether or not launching one would cause pressure alarms to go off.

My understanding is that's not how the pigs work. They are pushed forward by the gas normally flowing in the pipes. Since the pipes weren't operational and there was no gas flow the pig wouldn't have gone anywhere.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saukkis posted:

My understanding is that's not how the pigs work. They are pushed forward by the gas normally flowing in the pipes. Since the pipes weren't operational and there was no gas flow the pig wouldn't have gone anywhere.

If that's the case then why is visible gas bubbling up from underwater?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That Works posted:

NG is only liquid at certain pressures and temperatures. Once it becomes unbound by the flawed laws of steel pipes, it becomes gaseous.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

That Works posted:

It was filled with gas and pressurized, but capped. No active flow; but gas present (to prevent pressure issues with the sea from what I understand, but I'm not able to confirm that)

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

GD_American posted:

I looked at the Telegram and quickly regretted it.

The young lad talking really brings it home, I'm conflicted a little as I want Ukraine to absolutely pound the poo poo out of Russian forces but it's a sad human cost for both sides

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

The pipeline has to be pressurized with something even if its shutdown. So its filled with 1.1m3 per meter of pipeline thats in that segment. Thats a massive volume that will be filling with water and bubbling for a while. Like 230 million liters of whatever the purge gas was.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

The pipeline was pressurized to 105 bar with methane.

quote:

Nord Stream 2's operator said pressure in the pipeline, which had contained some gas sealed inside despite never becoming operational, dropped from 105 to 7 bars overnight.

That's over 100 atmospheres pressure. There's lots of methane to come out. The remaining 7 bar is just water pressure from being 50m underwater.

Ed: google says 300 million m3 capacity in the pipeline. There *have* to be valves somewhere but if not, at 100 atmospheres, 30 billion cubic metres of methane in there at STP.

gently caress.

Ed2: at 105 bar, it's supercritical fluid to boot.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 27, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Oh surprise, all of the territories that held referendums have voted to join Russia. Wrap it up, Ukraineailures.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I assume you know, but I'll use any opportunity to post images of pretty boats

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xakura posted:

I assume you know, but I'll use any opportunity to post images of pretty boats

And also wish a slightly premature Happy Birthday to the US Navy?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

But its a lovely argument, you cant disprove the statement that snowdens leaks got spies killed because the government wont name their spies.

Snowden released a lot of documents about spy programs and was responsible for shuttering the spy program in Afghanistan. You think the taliban are going to say "well, they shut the program down, better not look any further into it!"?? If you do, youre dumber than your argument.

I never made that argument - I asked what kind of confirmation they would be looking for in light of that reality.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Oh surprise, all of the territories that held referendums have voted to join Russia. Wrap it up, Ukraineailures.

I am sure the ballot was like:
Yes - I want to join Russia
No - I don't want to pass up this opportunity to join Russia

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

50m is a little beyond rec limits (recreational diving typically stops at 40m/130ft, per PADI/NAUI/SDI). The no-decompression limits at that depth get so short (according to those agencies) that it’s assumed to be a decompression dive if you’re beyond that. You’re probably looking at rebreathers and decompression procedures, if you want any amount of bottom time down there. The alternative is taking like 4 tanks down with you, one as a travel-gas, 2 for working at depth, and the last one as a bailout if something goes wrong on the others. Would make it harder to carry any other things (like explosives). Open-circuit deep dives are extremely gear-intensive, rebreathers make things more streamlined.

Your larger point still stands, though: I know divers in the recreational world that have the gear to make a dive to that depth and return safely. A diver propulsion vehicle would extend their deployment/escape range as well, these are also available for civilians to pick up (I know a diving quarry that rents out big ones).

Fair enough, my thought process here was this is in the margin of error for people pushing safety rules (not outlandish for people blowing up an international pipeline).

In reality I can't imagine you wouldn't use someone who isn't trained for technical diving, was mostly emphasizing the point that this isn't landing people on the moon.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

okay, fair

lowkey the far right needs to have a moment of reckoning about a so-called 'woke' army being the strongest military on the planet by a significant margin because it sure seems like limiting your manpower and knowledge pool down to the like 20% of your country that is straight, male and sufficiently right wing is not the winning move unless you want to be permanently at a huge disadvantage

You don’t think they’re getting Russian money to achieve exactly what you’ve just posted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Saukkis posted:

If youre going to blow the line anyway, its not inconceivable they pressurized the line with water. Close off anything upstream of the pig launcher, and just pump water into that s.o.b. or maybe they used pipeline inspection robbits to drag the payload there. Theres a lot of ways to skin this particular cat.