Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Spell slots are being burnt. You're getting that trade-off for a resource you might want to conserve for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
and at high levels where the level one spell slots are plenty, +5 is less of a bonus. As AC in 5e starts to trail off, while creature attack bonuses continue to go up.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, I don't have anything to back it up but it seems like just negating 4ish hits per long rest, not accounting for sorcery points/arcane recovery, isn't that OP. At low levels your squishy casters probably need the help surviving and they'll need their level 1 slots for other spells if they want to be effective. At higher levels more monsters will be able to get through the high AC and it won't be as powerful a choice, especially if you have higher level reaction spells you want to use.

EDIT: I looked and never mind that last point, there are no higher level reaction spells for wizards and sorcerers that are useful defensively.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 27, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Shield is a garbage spell for a lot of design reasons (a lot of which stem from the idiot poo poo mother-may-I hidden roll fuckery that 5e was auspiciously designed around that literally nobody uses). It's incredibly strong out of the gate and almost always worth having in your pocket. Later, it completes with Absorb Energy, which is more generally applicable. You carry both if you can.

Personally, I really like the way PF2E handled it: Shield is effectively a bonus action +1AC cantrip, and you can cash it in for a once-per-fight damage reduction on a hit, but you can't cast shield for the rest of the encounter. You take it a lot, but it offers some interesting choices that the 5e version lacks.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is there even anything else that gives you that big a boost? I could understand if it gave you your proficiency bonus as extra AC (because then it would scale), but +5 just seems like such a crazy bonus for the early-mid game. .

+5 is roughly the best-case value for advantage/disadvantage, but rerolls becomes less impactful the further you move from 50/50 odds, while Shield does not. This also doesn't, however, take into account how Shield's effect is guaranteed, while Silvery Barbs is not, which does make it a bit more efficient; an enemy might still get lucky twice despite rolling against disadvantage, but with Shield you will always either no-sell the hit completely, or know it isn't enough regardless, and save the spell slot. Also, the fact that it's effectively -advantage that stacks with real advantage in a notionally bound-accuracy system counts for a lot, too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

Shield is a garbage spell for a lot of design reasons (a lot of which stem from the idiot poo poo mother-may-I hidden roll fuckery that 5e was auspiciously designed around that literally nobody uses).

I would like to know more. What's this?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Shield only seems OP because 95% of the time it is being used to save a very squishy caster from a chonky hit. When that isn't the case, like a rat biting your level 3 Wizard or whatever, Shield looks like a very wasteful use of a spell slot. But that is just the best way to use the spell. You wouldn't see it otherwise.

Same thing happens with people occasionally complaining about Divine Smites. Yeah, if your Paladin only uses them when fishing for crits against Fiends or whatever, it's gonna look wicked strong.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

shields good because the player says i cast shield and then they dont die and they feel good when they do this

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I plan on making a temp Landsknecht fighter in the future.

The question is, what are the most fitting sub-classes to fit this character? Otherwise I'll probably just roll my own, but even some inspiration will go a long way!

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 27, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pog boyfriend posted:

shields good because the player says i cast shield and then they dont die and they feel good when they do this

I'm playing solasta and every time it fires on my arcane trickster i say 'hell yeah'

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Fishbus posted:

I plan on making a temp Landsknecht fighter in the future.

The question is, what are the most fitting sub-classes to fit this character? Otherwise I'll probably just roll my own!

A Landsknecht with a halberd, I'm guessing? Using a two-handed polearm with both PAM/GWM feats is still the best and only melee weapon attack build, so you're pretty good to go there already; you'll probably want to play a Vuman or custom lineage to get one as a bonus starting feat, too. As for subclasses, the effective but boring option is still Battle Master, since Precision Attack can patch up the accuracy penalty from using Power Attacking with GWM. The other good popular fighter subclasses are Rune Knight and Echo Fighter, but those are also a lot more overtly supernatural and maybe not a good fit. Also, PAM is a pretty taxing feat on both your bonus action and your reaction already, so any ability that requires spending either comes at a bit steeper of an opportunity cost. Missing really sucks too, so you'll probably want to save your Superiority Dice for salvaging misses with Precision Attack, since turning a miss into a hit is generally worth more than turning a hit into a slightly bigger hit, when you can make lots of hard hits each turn already. You can probably expect to mulch anyone that gets into arm's reach, and also have the usual Fighter problems with doing things that don't involve hp-go-down.

Anyways, halberds and other polearms are super cool in my book so I'm all for it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Carry a massive sword, call yourself a Dopplesoldner, and claim a double share of all treasure.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jack B Nimble posted:

I would like to know more. What's this?

Technically the way that things are supposed to work in 5e is that the monster rolls to hit, the DM declares “I rolled a 14”, the number actually rolled on the die. The player then declares their AC. Then the DM silently adds the attack modifier to the roll, and if the number equals or beats the AC, they declare a hit.

This is why there are multiple spells and abilities which have the odd formulation that they must be used after the die has been rolled but before the DM has declared a hit or a miss. You’re supposed to use these abilities in the space between the roll and the DM doing the mental maths. So when the DM says “14” you need to think about whether or not you need to cast shield, and you either say “My AC is 19” or “I cast shield, my AC is 24”.

But almost nobody plays like that, the most common way (afaik) is for the DM to declare the total number—rolls a 14, adds the +7 bonus and declares “21”, then the 19 AC player either says “hit” or “I cast shield”.

I know some DMs stick very closely to the rule but imo it’s just tedious faff that makes every single d20 roll in combat take a fraction of a second longer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also sounds less fun for the players. Using Shield and then getting told "sorry bud the wolf hits you anyway" is a bummer

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Reveilled posted:

Technically the way that things are supposed to work in 5e is that the monster rolls to hit, the DM declares “I rolled a 14”, the number actually rolled on the die. The player then declares their AC. Then the DM silently adds the attack modifier to the roll, and if the number equals or beats the AC, they declare a hit.

This is why there are multiple spells and abilities which have the odd formulation that they must be used after the die has been rolled but before the DM has declared a hit or a miss. You’re supposed to use these abilities in the space between the roll and the DM doing the mental maths. So when the DM says “14” you need to think about whether or not you need to cast shield, and you either say “My AC is 19” or “I cast shield, my AC is 24”.

But almost nobody plays like that, the most common way (afaik) is for the DM to declare the total number—rolls a 14, adds the +7 bonus and declares “21”, then the 19 AC player either says “hit” or “I cast shield”.

I know some DMs stick very closely to the rule but imo it’s just tedious faff that makes every single d20 roll in combat take a fraction of a second longer.

It's an extra tedious rulekeeping step that slows combat down even more.

I usually keep an index card with my players and their ACs so I don't even need to stop and ask, just "Alice the giant spider rolled a 21 and buried it's fangs into your flesh. It probably hurts a lot".

I also keep a note about their armor as well so I can describe defeated attacks based on the roll. Basically anything below their natural armor is a miss, anything between their natural armor and their armor AC is deflected by their armor, and if they have a shield then a failed attack roll by 1 or 2 is blocked by the shield.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l44mmYu2pqM

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Summary from a discord I am in

Ranger bard rogue
ASI is now a feat
Arcane Divine Primal Spell lists up to lvl 9
More rules stuff; supercedes old rules stuff
They ditched the new critical stuff
ditched d20 test
rolling a 1 gives inspiration
40000+ completed first survey
haven't investigated the first survey results yet
so they're basically presenting different rules glossaries, then gonna go through surveys for each to decide
part of the design process
Ranger / Bard / Rogue - labeled as "expert group"
(and artificer which won't be in phb)
Some Feats will have "class group" prerequisites
Magic items will have "class group" prerequisites (eventually, not in this UA)
expert group all have expertise feature
expert group all have components reminiscent of other groups
"Classic D&D party" will have 1 member of each class group
List of suggested prepared spells
Any class can ritual cast a ritual spell
class capstones are at lvl 18; you get an epic boon at 20

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Artificer is much cooler than Warlock, it should be a base class :colbert:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Reveilled posted:

Also doesn't play well on VTTs where rolls automatically calculate modifiers, and DM's often roll hidden.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Wrong.

Warlock is the coolest base class by far. Artificer is cooler than Wizard though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Defining the classic D&D party by role is a good idea.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

Defining the classic D&D party by role is a good idea.

You mean like 4e?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

You mean like 4e?

Partially, but I think an "expert" role also speaks to out of combat abilities.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Putting the classes in buckets is just an idea without further context; it's neither good nor bad. I suppose adding another contour in a game as flat as 5e is welcome for design space but... well...

Just as a for example, "expert" really sounds like, "these are the skill monkey classes"; and the existence of skill monkeys has been a problem in this game for as long as the rogue has existed. In a game as combat focused as 5e you cannot have a class balanced around out of combat capabilities; if it describes *how* they interact outside of combat fair enough but the existence of the "Warrior" classification would seem to suggest otherwise.

If they give the larger category a shared mechanic that diverges in the individual classes, that would be exciting. It Expert classes got expertise dice that were used in different ways (damage for rogues, inspiration for bards, etc) you could build some really wild stuff on that.

But this is dnd so.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mendrian posted:

Putting the classes in buckets is just an idea without further context; it's neither good nor bad. I suppose adding another contour in a game as flat as 5e is welcome for design space but... well...

Just as a for example, "expert" really sounds like, "these are the skill monkey classes"; and the existence of skill monkeys has been a problem in this game for as long as the rogue has existed. In a game as combat focused as 5e you cannot have a class balanced around out of combat capabilities; if it describes *how* they interact outside of combat fair enough but the existence of the "Warrior" classification would seem to suggest otherwise.

If they give the larger category a shared mechanic that diverges in the individual classes, that would be exciting. It Expert classes got expertise dice that were used in different ways (damage for rogues, inspiration for bards, etc) you could build some really wild stuff on that.

But this is dnd so.

They do, there are feats and items locked to specific class buckets. The UA will release tomorrow but it's possible that there will be some per-class usages of the bucket abilities since otherwise if all three get the same thing, that's a bland mush

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Well I mean "shared feat" isn't the same thing as "shared base mechanic cleverly diverged per class", I'll believe it when I see it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Expert is too generic, every class is an expert at something! The categories should be: Fighting Man, Thief, Magic-User, and Priest

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Madmarker posted:

You mean like 4e?
Importing the good stuff for 4e instead of memory-boxing everything from that edition is good, yeah.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Soylent Pudding posted:

I usually keep an index card with my players and their ACs so I don't even need to stop and ask, just "Alice the giant spider rolled a 21 and buried it's fangs into your flesh. It probably hurts a lot".

I also keep a note about their armor as well so I can describe defeated attacks based on the roll. Basically anything below their natural armor is a miss, anything between their natural armor and their armor AC is deflected by their armor, and if they have a shield then a failed attack roll by 1 or 2 is blocked by the shield.

I experimented with this for a while but ultimately decided that the call and answer (with the more normal convention of the DM rolling and adding the number before asking) adds a little theatre to proceedings. Players who have specced into having high AC enjoy declaring that attacks miss them, and every once in a while you get to make players poo poo their pants when you say something like "Does a thirty-two hit?"

It also creates a symmetry between player and DM, which I think is beneficial (in some ways)--players need to announce their result and ask if it hits, so it creates a sort of regular cadence and rhythm to combat.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Reveilled posted:

Wait, what? My GM just says "it's going to hit" or "it misses."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Caphi posted:

What do you do with spells like shield then?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Soylent Pudding posted:

I sometimes do this but what always bugs me a bit is that most hits getting past the shield and only being stopped by the armor feels weird. I suppose I could reverse it, having an attack roll be deflected by the shield when over 10+dex but below AC without the shield and blocked by armor when below AC but at or above AC without shield, but that feels really screwy.

Caphi posted:

I think this is actually how it's intended to be done? In the DMG section discussing whether to roll openly or behind the screen, one of the bullet points is "Rolling behind a screen keeps the players guessing about the strength of their opposition. When a monster hits all the time, is it of a much higher level than the characters, or are you rolling high numbers?". Though I suppose that actually fits with telling the totals too, though if you roll a 29 or something on a non-crit that would reveal the monster has at least a +10.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Letting someone use Shield only to be hit anyway is unfun so I would never run it in a way that makes that possible. Generally speaking DMing should be done with an eye toward letting players do cool poo poo, not fizzling their spells for no gain.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah it's already bad enough when a spell just outright misses. No reason to add another to the list.

Spells should be more about trade-offs and less about RNG, imo.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
“Would casting shield help me dodge this blow?”

“Nope.”

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
There is nothing more fun than having your party observe an insanely high roll result since it communicates that they are in a bad way. If you want to hide the final value of the roll, that seems needlessly cryptic. If you also don't even want to provide a range (at least 5 more than your AC) then you're just an adversarial DM.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It's also often important to establish via low rolls that some of the opposition is weaker than others (or unluckier). 5E's bounded design makes mixing even very low CR foes in with higher CR foes extremely effective, and the low to-hits can be important to establish, especially if the players aren't metagaming/you aren't messing with expectations (like having a group of CR 12 kobold adventurers as an encounter).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

theironjef posted:

Sure. I am naturally wary of dark vision related traps for players because they seem to always originate from DMs that are mad that players don't need to count torches and buy lamp oil like in the good old days.

It's also usually trying to take a species advantage and turn it into a penalty, which is the exact sort of gotcha-based DMing I personally wish would just die already.

Though I'll change my tune as soon as I see a monster that deals extra damage to anyone with a species-provided bonus feat. Like this fuckin' owlbear just hates the poo poo out of Variant Humans, and frankly it's time they get taken down a peg.

Darkvision is cool when it is a rare bonus. It would be fine if absolutely everyone had it. It is dumb and boring when it is something almost everyone has, turning humans, halflings, etc. into cripples weighing the party down.

Way too many races get it. Like Tabaxi. Why do Tabaxi have dark vision?

"Darkvision. You have a cat's keen senses, especially in the dark. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray."

A cat's keen senses?

Cats get keen smell, not darkvision. The cat god who created Tabaxi done hosed up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rutibex posted:

Agreed. I guess you could make the argument that a steampunk vibe artificer won't fit in some settings. But you could say the same about a monk or a tiefling.

And they don't need to have a steampunk vibe. An animistic proto-wizard artificer could hang out just fine in a low-tech society. The weave permeates all things, the animist artificer isn't so much imbuing items with magic as releasing the magic that was already there. A stereotypical Granny Weatherwax type witch could easily be an artificer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Darkvision is cool when it is a rare bonus. It would be fine if absolutely everyone had it. It is dumb and boring when it is something almost everyone has, turning humans, halflings, etc. into cripples weighing the party down.

Way too many races get it. Like Tabaxi. Why do Tabaxi have dark vision?

"Darkvision. You have a cat's keen senses, especially in the dark. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray."

A cat's keen senses?

Cats get keen smell, not darkvision. The cat god who created Tabaxi done hosed up.

Hey, no argument, it's dumb. It's not the players fault that it's dumb though. Needs to be fixed at the game level, not the "set silly counter vision traps" level.