Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Shibawanko posted:

making the hobbit a trilogy was the right call but one entire movie should've been about the dwarves walking through mirkwood silently with very little action

Andrei Tarkovsky's The Hobbit would be an interesting watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Bringing it back several pages to the discussion of sexy Shelob, I remembered my main objection to that depiction wasn't that she could take a seductive form, but that they depict her as having typical villain motivations, when the books said:

quote:

Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand, who only desired death for all others, mind and body

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Shibawanko posted:

making the hobbit a trilogy was the right call but one entire movie should've been about the dwarves walking through mirkwood silently with very little action

Shot in Black and White, runtime 474min, directed by Béla Tarr.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vavrek posted:

Hobbits smoking cigarettes instead of pipes might be a bit jarring.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vavrek posted:

What about Andrei Tarkovsky's The Last Ringbearer?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shibawanko posted:

And lots of trippy FX.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Have the entire journey be trippy visuals then when it's time to actually show the dragon do it the same way as Excalibur.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's different and much better. I assume they gave her some of the good stuff they still have in storage, or did a rush job since they said they had 10 days.

Goon armor-blindness.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://twitter.com/b3ckybr0wn/status/1574777102779486209

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bilbo looks like a suppository.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Everyone posted:

What about Andrei Tarkovsky's The Last Ringbearer?

I've never actually read it, and always been vaguely disposed against it after reading remarks by the author with the tone of "Well, The Lord of the Rings, which is not actually that good, ..."

How is it? Should I give it a read?

Anyway, I was mostly just thinking of the Mirkwood sequence done like Stalker but with less lighting.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i read the last ringbearer but couldn't finish, it's too much of a one trick horse

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vavrek posted:

I've never actually read it, and always been vaguely disposed against it after reading remarks by the author with the tone of "Well, The Lord of the Rings, which is not actually that good, ..."

How is it? Should I give it a read?

Anyway, I was mostly just thinking of the Mirkwood sequence done like Stalker but with less lighting.

It's a pretty radical departure from LotR not just in point of view but in setting, closer to low fantasy: Orcs and Trolls are just slurs for humans who live in Mordor, Sauron basically never existed, Elves are some sort of parallel dimension invaders, etc.

The bulk of it is a swashbuckling spy adventure: following the defeat of Mordor, the protagonists are looking for the Mirror of Galadriel which is apparently some sort of McGuffin that connects Middle-Earth to the world of Elves.

I don't think it's very good from what little I remember, but more importantly it just changes the setting too much to be an effective critic of the story in my opinion, which is a shame since I think there's potential there.

Though I do find the "Orcs are just humans" bit mildly interesting in light of the current Ukraine supporters psychosis over calling Russians orcs.

e:

in the QTs:

https://twitter.com/joshuajfriedman/status/1574960266122760193

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 28, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What's wrong with the Ballantine cover?
That's clearly Gwaihir, King of the Emus

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the iluvatar - valar - maiar pantheon actually resembles vodou more closely than it does catholicism

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

A hell of a lot of vodoun is just folk Catholicism, to be fair. Yay syncretism!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I do think a Hobbit trilogy could have been a great idea if it had been approached that way from the start, had enough time to write proper scripts, and didn't have any studio mandates for what had to be or couldn't be in the story.

That being said, the number one thing would have been to really flesh out the dwarves and their personalities backstories and relationships, and pretty much all the dwarves PJ came up with were lame and obnoxious.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

I do think a Hobbit trilogy could have been a great idea if it had been approached that way from the start, had enough time to write proper scripts, and didn't have any studio mandates for what had to be or couldn't be in the story.

That being said, the number one thing would have been to really flesh out the dwarves and their personalities backstories and relationships, and pretty much all the dwarves PJ came up with were lame and obnoxious.

To be fair most of the Tolkien Dwarves were also kind of lame and obnoxious.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And let's not forget their well-defined personalities such as "the fat one who's fat" and "these two are brothers".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

And let's not forget their well-defined personalities such as "the fat one who's fat" and "these two are brothers".

The brothers are also young and less dour than the others. They actually have the most personality besides Thorin and Balin, maybe.

Which isn't saying much.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i think the fundamental issue is to square the hobbit with the other stories, you need to redo it from the ground up, and Tolkien himself knew that. The thing is, its a good little story because it is fantastical and whimsical, not because some dwarves retaking erebor is automatically a good story. It certainly could be, but it would also not be The Hobbit as we know it.

You could pull the camera back and actually show Gandalf's calculations that demand a secret mission to Erebor, a more well thought out plan to actually kill Smaug, the machinations that lead up to the battle of 5 armies and the death of the dragon, and how Sauron is influencing events.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i think the fundamental issue is to square the hobbit with the other stories, you need to redo it from the ground up, and Tolkien himself knew that. The thing is, its a good little story because it is fantastical and whimsical, not because some dwarves retaking erebor is automatically a good story. It certainly could be, but it would also not be The Hobbit as we know it.

You could pull the camera back and actually show Gandalf's calculations that demand a secret mission to Erebor, a more well thought out plan to actually kill Smaug, the machinations that lead up to the battle of 5 armies and the death of the dragon, and how Sauron is influencing events.

Imo nothing should be pulled back at all. What makes the Hobbit work so well is how we're just with Bilbo the whole time and getting his reaction to all the crazy things he's seeing.

I think that makes the crazy poo poo he sees have more impact rather than oh hey let's cut to Sauron doing this crazy thing or Gandalf on his own journey doing that crazy thing. All of that just diminishes Bilbo's experiences and imo the audience should be getting the same fish out of water feeling that Bilbo is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah one of the big mistakes the hobbit movies made was leaving Bilbo's perspective far too often.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's amusing thinking of JRRT making the decision at the Bo5A point in the narrative to just knock Bilbo out for the day and do a bunch of crow's-eye narratives of the battle movements

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

hobbit should just have been a single film and it should have been made for children, not adults

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

hobbit should just have been a single film and it should have been made for children, not adults

it was, though

78 minutes and it tells the story pretty goddamn well. I re-watched it recently and was surprised how well it does.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm not the first person to point it out but they problably felt constrained by the need for more of the same and tried to make the movies about Thorin, as an Aragorn-style epic action lead. That Bilbo or the quirkier nature of the narrative got sidelined wasn't an accident, but something that naturally flows from "okay, how do we reproduce LotR's success again?"

Imagined posted:

But enough about the four Hobbits.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Pham Nuwen posted:

it was, though

78 minutes and it tells the story pretty goddamn well. I re-watched it recently and was surprised how well it does.

This was my first exposure to Tolkien when my behind-on-grading English teacher put this on in class so I have a lot of affection for it and would definitely rather watch it than the Jackson version.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

it was, though

Ho-ho, my lad!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phy posted:

Ho-ho, my lad!
There was also the accompanying Return of the King film. This bedeviled me for YEARS as I swore up and down there were songs from the Hobbit that upon rewatching weren't there, also scenes of orcs and such. My child brain was quite stymied until I found both films in a box set for sale on VHS at some used bookstore or other and was like 'yes! I'm not crazy!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Respect for the R-B Hobbit for Brother Theodore's incomparable Gollum, even Serkis still doesn't feel "right" to me

Also for the treetop scene with the butterflies. Two frames of animation in a loop has seldom given a better atmospheric breather scene in the middle of a bunch of dark oppressive action

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Where there's a Whip there's a Way" slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Watch Samwise start a race war.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

The whole soundtrack is great. "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" runs through my head way more often than it should.

Looking at the wiki link, I only just today realized Roddy McDowall voiced Sam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the hobbits do look weirdly apelike, so Cornelius is a good choice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My brother and I always used to sing it as "Frodo of the Forty-Nine Fingers"

in that Glenn Yarbrough voice

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What they could have done for the Hobbit trilogy would have been to make the movies parallel, rather than sequential, and then bring them together for the resolution - perhaps one Bilbo movie, one Thorin movie, and one Gandalf movie.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

My brother and I always used to sing it as "Frodo of the Forty-Nine Fingers"

in that Glenn Yarbrough voice

Did you grab the skin over your adam's apple and wiggle it to do his incomparable vibrato too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oracle posted:

Did you grab the skin over your adam's apple and wiggle it to do his incomparable vibrato too

Of course, how else would you do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

YaketySass posted:

Elves are some sort of parallel dimension invaders, etc.

That's basically what they are in Tolkien's books too.