Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I have certain regrets in my life (don't we all) and one of them was canceling my preorder when my turn came up five months ago. I'd have played the heck out of a bunch of JPRGs and VNs laying down in my bed.

I kept my preorder for no good reason, but it has been so nice for playing the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters and the myriad JRPGs and VNs on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

Does this mean Azure is even better, or so bad it makes the previous game worse?

The latter. Oh god does Ao make everything that came before so much worse.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Azure is good. It has problems but I don't understand how you can think it retroactively ruins the Sky trilogy or Zero. One of the twists in Azure even puts a scene from Zero in a whole new context which is really neat. If any game is so bad that it damaged everything that came before, it's Cold Steel 4 by far and I'm so glad Kuro hard pivoted away from the curse and went back to focusing on stuff 3rd and Zero introduced.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

One of the twists in Azure even puts a scene from Zero in a whole new context which is really neat.

You need to be more specific. There's a bunch of characters in Zero that suddenly become relevant in Ao.

And yes, I do feel like Ao ruins a lot of Zero and several parts of Sky.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 27, 2022

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Delphisage posted:

You need to be more specific. There's a bunch of characters in Zero that suddenly become relevant in Ao.

And yes, I do feel like Ao ruins a lot of Zero and several parts of Sky.

You’re insane

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
dont listen to dephisage. Zero and azure are the best trails games thus far, and I'd say that azure is probably the only example of a "twist" in the seires that actually left my jaw on the ground.

It's also an antidote to that Jason Schrier complaint (that I have as well) that every scene in cold steel from 2 on is weighed down by having to listen to 15 people react. I really wish they'd kept small party sizes. I hope that kuro goes back to that. lol at talking about your hopes in future tense for a game that came out like 2 years ago. man the localization speed hosed over this series lol.

well actually now that I remember (time to start a shitstorm): azure does contain the exact moment the entire series went to poo poo: sexual assault/harassment being treated as a joke. you can literally see the exact moment their respect for women goes to 0.

Mirello fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 28, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I can't wait to wade into this mess myself over the coming six to nine months.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is no difference between any Trails games, they are exactly the same. Enjoy your gaming.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sneaking a gameplay tip into the empty chest lines? Love it. Too bad I failed to scan a single enemy so far.

Knowing that tidbit about Columbo popularity in the Phoenix Wright thread, Chief Sergei looks a little familiar...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mirello posted:

well actually now that I remember (time to start a shitstorm): azure does contain the exact moment the entire series went to poo poo: sexual assault/harassment being treated as a joke. you can literally see the exact moment their respect for women goes to 0.
olivert has existed since the first game though

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

RevolverDivider posted:

You’re insane

That sure is a response.

The 7th Guest posted:

olivert has existed since the first game though

Olivier is a pervert that hits on anything that moves, but he's not sexually assaulting anyone. Plus he's actually funny.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 28, 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1668510?emclan=103582791470305866&emgid=3355764861429706188

Saves from the Geofront version are backwards compatible in the Steam version if you copy them over (in %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\FALCOM\Zero) and rename the folders to match the new naming scheme.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Nate RFB posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1668510?emclan=103582791470305866&emgid=3355764861429706188

Saves from the Geofront version are backwards compatible in the Steam version if you copy them over (in %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\FALCOM\Zero) and rename the folders to match the new naming scheme.

Oh, thank god.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

This is great to know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nate RFB posted:

Can they be transferred to Switch?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
As a random thing that I was looking for confirmation on regarding details across Cold Steel: So Osborne's heart was transferred to Rean in some thing involving Ishmelga/curse infecting it. This heart is the source of Rean's transformation, and is referred by McBurn as being "mixed". It's later covered that "mixed" is with Divergent Laws/Beyond stuff, similar to the Salt Pale/Gnosis. Doesn't this suggest that Ishmelga, and likely just all the Sept-Terrions as a whole, are Divergent Laws material? (This would incidentally provide an easy explanation for why Kernviter can affect the Aureole's superbarrier.)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Can grab zero for Steam with 15% off coupon, not bad. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/t...cj_aid=13797872

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Some Numbers posted:

Can they be transferred to Switch?

Unless there's a sync save function like Prodeus or Witcher 3 or Hades, no

Well, maybe if you're running CFW but in general no

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cyouni posted:

As a random thing that I was looking for confirmation on regarding details across Cold Steel: So Osborne's heart was transferred to Rean in some thing involving Ishmelga/curse infecting it. This heart is the source of Rean's transformation, and is referred by McBurn as being "mixed". It's later covered that "mixed" is with Divergent Laws/Beyond stuff, similar to the Salt Pale/Gnosis. Doesn't this suggest that Ishmelga, and likely just all the Sept-Terrions as a whole, are Divergent Laws material? (This would incidentally provide an easy explanation for why Kernviter can affect the Aureole's superbarrier.)

Not necessarily, and I wouldn't be surprised if the series went another direction, but also, this is absolutely in my current working theory of how Zemuria actually works.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Reverie gives the biggest hint as to how Zemuria works.

Because it introduces Elysium, my current theory is that it's a simulation of some kind and also a prison, demons and those from the Outside are the natural form of life in the universe but Zemuria is limiting their power so they appear as humans. That's why the Gnosis drug, other entities from the Outside or simple bloodlust can awaken and change people into demons; it's their true form in my theory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cyouni posted:

Yeah probably. Even if Aidios and the Sept-Terrions aren't from the demon dimension or wherever McBurn is from they're probably not from the regular ol mortal world, so makes sense to me they'd work similarly to stuff from the Beyond.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Reverie gives the biggest hint as to how Zemuria works.

Because it introduces Elysium, my current theory is that it's a simulation of some kind and also a prison, demons and those from the Outside are the natural form of life in the universe but Zemuria is limiting their power so they appear as humans. That's why the Gnosis drug, other entities from the Outside or simple bloodlust can awaken and change people into demons; it's their true form in my theory.

My theory for a while has been that, at some point, the world was split into the "spirit world" (or whatever you call the place that the cryptids and various other entities come from) and the world of our characters. Whatever disaster is happening in the east is somehow an inevitable consequence of this split that is doomed to end the world in some way, and Ouroboros seeks to rejoin the two "halves" of reality in order to save the world (but in doing so destroy most/all of current civilization). I anticipate Ouroboros's overarching motive at least being something similar to this - a reasonable goal, but using methods with a cost our main characters will consider unacceptable.

(Not really any spoilers in the tags above, since it's just pure speculation)

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Mirello posted:

It's also an antidote to that Jason Schrier complaint (that I have as well) that every scene in cold steel from 2 on is weighed down by having to listen to 15 people react. I really wish they'd kept small party sizes. I hope that kuro goes back to that. lol at talking about your hopes in future tense for a game that came out like 2 years ago. man the localization speed hosed over this series lol.

Kuro's cast bounce off each other really well. It helps that the main party only consists of eight people.

The writing's a big improvement over Cold Steel, but MAN, I kinda wish the plot layout wasn't so repetitive. Holding out hope that Kuro II won't be as predictable in that regard, but I'm going to remain skeptical for now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Kuro's cast bounce off each other really well. It helps that the main party only consists of eight people.

The writing's a big improvement over Cold Steel, but MAN, I kinda wish the plot layout wasn't so repetitive. Holding out hope that Kuro II won't be as predictable in that regard, but I'm going to remain skeptical for now.

I'm watching streams of Kuro II and its plot is absolutely bonkers. Might be the most batshit Kiseki has ever been.

MAJOR KURO 2 SPOILERS SO FAR.

I'm also not sure it can be localized without edits to scenes, given that all of Renne's backstory at Paradise is shown at full force and one chapter involving Make Calvard Great Again hat wearing chuds commit a school shooting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat I can't wait for 2026

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

drat I can't wait for 2036

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they can manage 2025.

I believe in them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kuro 1 is likely 2024 when Kuro 3 is out, so 2 would be 2025 yeah. Next year Falcom will be making Ys 10 so hopefully NISA can sort of catch up? Maybe? Azure and Reverie is coming out next year anyway.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought Falcom "said" that they were going to try and do only two games for the Kuro arc. I guess they did it again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm going to assume that falls under Sky being one game and Cold Steel being two before plot expansion happened.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought Falcom "said" that they were going to try and do only two games for the Kuro arc. I guess they did it again.

Falcom is going to get as much mileage out of those Kuro assets and marketing the popular Kuro characters as they can before they have to actually muster up the effort to create a new setting and create new characters and try to get people to care about them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
wait does Kuro 2 end on a cliffhanger?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

They're going to milk it for all it's worth. Between this and the Ark of Napishtim/VIII mobile games, it really does feel like Falcom is becoming more and more predatory.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

They're going to milk it for all it's worth. Between this and the Ark of Napishtim/VIII mobile games, it really does feel like Falcom is becoming more and more predatory.

They were predatory as soon as cold steel 1 with 2 billion dlc items, let's not kid ourselves

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

gently caress, I was trying to forget about that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

No? They said they didn't want it to balloon out of control like Cold Steel did but they've been fairly upfront that Kuro would be a 3 game arc minimum.

Junpei posted:

wait does Kuro 2 end on a cliffhanger?

Nope. Kuro 1 and 2 basically end on a cohesive whole. I do feel Kuro 2 doesn't really advance the Calvard arc story much though; it has a lot of cool lore for the setting but the best parts of the game involve Ellroy Harwood aka Kiryu Kazuma (Same VA) and he's basically a giant tease for what Kuro 3 is going to be, Kuro 2 itself feels more like an epilogue to Swin and Nadia's story from Reverie mixed with tying up loose ends from Kuro 1.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
They spent a decent amount of time creating the Calvard area and creating a lot of new characters so I would be surprised if Kuro ends in two games.

My speculation is there will some super duper Hajimari style game with every character for a finale.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think there's a pretty large gap between MTX and DLC and, the videogame company making videogames. Even in the many cases where falcom's taken the later acts of a bloating or rushed game and spun it into another one, they've if anything tried way too hard to then bloat that into a "full" game instead of just letting it naturally end up a bit shorter.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 29, 2022

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Calvard is also a big country and there's two cities and an archipelago that still hasn't been visited yet in either Kuro game that'll probably be important in future games. At least Kuro 2 does take you to new cities and locations and doesn't fully reuse cities from the first game like Cold Steel 2 and 4 do.

Motto posted:

I think there's a pretty large gap between MTX and DLC and, the videogame company making videogames. Even in the many cases where falcom's taken the later acts of a bloating or rushed game and spun it into another one, they've if anything tried way too hard to then bloat that game into a "full" game instead of just letting it naturally end up a bit shorter.

Yeah there's quite a few Trails games which would benefit from being shorter but more focused and tighter paced instead of bloating it to justify them being long games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Motto posted:

I think there's a pretty large gap between MTX and DLC and, the videogame company making videogames. Even in the many cases where falcom's taken the later acts of a bloating or rushed game and spun it into another one, they've if anything tried way too hard to then bloat that into a "full" game instead of just letting it naturally end up a bit shorter.

My problem with micro transactions have more to do with the fact that we already have Ys VI. Re-releasing Ys VI with micro transactions feels like they're trying to bilk their target audience (i.e. Ys fans and especially people who liked Ys VI) for all its worth.

Not that remakes don't already do that, but it feels odd to me that they decided to make Ys VI a mobile game with transactions instead of a full remake instead. They're pretty much telling you to spend more money on the mobile version than you would on a remake of the game.

Edit: Unless if there's a significant difference between the two, I guess. It's supposed to be an MMO?

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 29, 2022