Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ciaphas posted:

Dome Keeper (formerly Dome Romantik) is out today. Any strong goon opinions one way or the other?

Enjoyed the demo, not sure the full game would hold my attention for long. Like the post above says, I got the feeling that even with multiple types of dome to mix up combat, runs would end up playing out in mostly the same way because you absolutely need stuff like carry weight/speed/digging no matter what. Wishlisted it anyway, will probably grab it if it goes on sale for ~$10 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Discovered Grounded is on gamepass. So far I'm not feeling good about the game - even on normal difficulty I feel like absolute paper - everything that's actually aggressive kills me in two or three hits, and I have no clue what to do after the oak tree lab. The quest told me to check out the hedge lab, when I finally got there the door was...just closed. And I can't get any of the cool toys, armor or weapons since those require parts from the very enemies who keep wiping the floor with me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

:same: but it's a lot better than the old pre-refund way of just buying a bunch of neat-looking games and then not playing them for reasons that are dumb & petty

this week:

Jack Move: unskippable splash screens, characters talking like "Zow! That's so fortran!"
Eastward: completed the cooking tutorial, watched the cute cooking cutscene, saw a recipe book with thirty-five entries and said "nope"
Beacon Pines: text-heavy game with no options for text speed or auto advance
Prodeus: the initial zombieman enemies are boring as gently caress

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's all well and good as long as you don't sink later on into the typical goon behavior of making GBS threads on other people's enjoyment of a game because you didn't like the 5 minutes you played

i want to play jack move but i'm focusing on other games at payday first. i want to play the mouse game! and then next payday i'll have golden idol cases to solve!

beacon pines i really liked, i didn't think it needed auto-advance because picking a spot in the flowchart just takes you right to the decision, and each decision plays out with entirely new dialog/story except for the very very first choice. as for text speed i could just hit a button to bring the end of a sentence up early so that was no big deal to me, although i was annoyed that non-portrait NPC dialog could be skipped on a button press before it all shows on screen. i'm never a fan when games do that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you should never have to click a button six times to hear/read one single page of a book, this is Immoral

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

F2P and the double-hell of quadruple teams and a virtual guarantee of SBMM? Nope. gently caress that trash.

u dont want matchmaking? why lol

Ciaphas posted:

Dome Keeper (formerly Dome Romantik) is out today. Any strong goon opinions one way or the other?

demo was really good

deep dish peat moss posted:

I bought it and refunded it after an hour - it's a neat concept but it has the same problem I immediately remembered the demo having: early resources are very scarce and combat is very finely tuned, if you don't buy your upgrades in a specific order (alternating between digging upgrades and combat upgrades on specific waves) then you fall behind the curve and can't win. After a bunch of failed starts where I realized I was unable to progress because I needed to buy a digspeed upgrade last wave when I bought a gun damage upgrade instead, or whatever, I just gave up.

What I mean is like... you'll be progressing and then suddenly hit a point where all of the available walls to dig deeper are extremely durable and take a long time with your current drill speed, you feasibly cannot dig through them in time to earn enough resources to upgrade before the next wave and it's "oh oops I needed to get level 3 digspeed before this point, nothing I can do to salvage this run now". Or you upgrade your dig speed because last run you ran into the aforementioned problem but then you realize "ah damnit, I actually needed more laser damage to be able to kill the monsters on the next wave without suffering a huge amount of damage that's very difficult to repair".

This wouldn't necessarily be a problem except it's not like you're learning and judging when to build what based on, like, available information or reactively to the environment or anything, it's just... the same exact order every run. And all the relics you get are the same each run.

demo wasnt like that at all. didnt feel like there was a required order.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

this week:

Eastward: completed the cooking tutorial, watched the cute cooking cutscene, saw a recipe book with thirty-five entries and said "nope"

:dafuq:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cookbook with 35 entries? Just sold a copy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Prodeus: the initial zombieman enemies are boring as gently caress

absolutely insane

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Game with food should just simplify everything into “food” and “not food”.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think prodeus is a better doom than doom 2016, that's just my opinion tho

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I liked the style of Dome Keeper and the running around mining stuff seemed cool but thought the dome defense gameplay itself looked pretty blah. I have not played it and am basing this on watching someone stream it for like 20 minutes earlier today so maybe it's one of those things you have to play.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Is 35 recipes supposed to be too many or too few I don't know anything anymore

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

That list reads like you either need more stimulants or less stimulants. I can't tell which though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The 7th Guest posted:

i think prodeus is a better doom than doom 2016, that's just my opinion tho

It's a more classic Doom than 2016, for sure, though whether that ends up being a good or a bad thing is I think largely down to personal taste. 2016 managed to break away from the industry-standard CoD tropes while still modernizing the old formula a bit, but Prodeus is entirely content playing itself like a gussied-up Doom 2 campaign/weapon pack. And that, if anything, is its biggest weakness; it's honestly up against some stiff competition in the form of various free modpacks because people have done some absolutely bonkers poo poo with GZDoom in the last decade or so.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

idk i played that gzdoom game demo, selaco or whatever, and it doesnt feel even half as smooth and fluid as prodeus.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

quitie frankly and i do not say this lightly, prodeus has possibly the best fps game feel ive ever experienced outside of quake 3

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Prodeus is a lot of fun but I've got to the part where Ultra Hard becomes Nearly Impossible in certain places. In the first half of the game I was doing all the levels with zero deaths but I'd say I'm averaging 1-2 at this point (with one particular sudden cramped arena battle costing me 4 deaths due to the respawn point being right in the middle of the chaos). I do like the respawn mechanic though. It lets me get through the maps without hitting any hard roadblocks but also gives me a chance to go back to each map and perfect it as a continual run. I'd like to do a deathless Ultra Hard 100% run of every level once I've finished the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's a more classic Doom than 2016, for sure, though whether that ends up being a good or a bad thing is I think largely down to personal taste. 2016 managed to break away from the industry-standard CoD tropes while still modernizing the old formula a bit, but Prodeus is entirely content playing itself like a gussied-up Doom 2 campaign/weapon pack. And that, if anything, is its biggest weakness; it's honestly up against some stiff competition in the form of various free modpacks because people have done some absolutely bonkers poo poo with GZDoom in the last decade or so.

I played it for a bit when it was EA a few years ago. I absolutely loathed the reloading; was relieved when they seemed to back off a bit on it with the rocklauncher and lightning spammer, then they dove back in with the grenade launcher being junk. It also took forever to get some fun fights to show up. Setting aside its gfx/aesthetic, why would I play it over DOOM wads? As a comparison, when I played the Selaco I was blown away. Sure, the gameplay is FEAR instead of DOOM (So I've been told, I've not played it), but it's really doing something interesting and new to me and the reloading was fun considering the gameplay loop.

So uh, would you recommend it to a grumpy grognard?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

more like blowdeus

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i never even heard of this game but it looks cool

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks to whoever suggested Brotato, best $5 I've spent in a minute

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Eason the Fifth posted:

woo $0.50 off if you buy the bundle and already have 20 minutes till dawn.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stux posted:

idk i played that gzdoom game demo, selaco or whatever, and it doesnt feel even half as smooth and fluid as prodeus.

Dude I had the two completely mixed up in my head and didn't check out Prodeus because I didn't like the Selaco demo and thought they were the same game :psyduck:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yeah I loved the demo and this is just a lot more of it. Some of the new weapons and the whole engineering class are great.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

funkmeister posted:

woo $0.50 off if you buy the bundle and already have 20 minutes till dawn.

It's basically the same gameplay as 20MTD but I think it's more charming and I like the Risk-of-Rain style way your potato wears the gear. Gave one of my potatoes 5 pistols and it was John Wick, awesome

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

goferchan posted:

Dude I had the two completely mixed up in my head and didn't check out Prodeus because I didn't like the Selaco demo and thought they were the same game :psyduck:

lol they do ahve a similar aesthetic of like, v fancy doom with more sci fi, and with gun models that are similar in style. an understandable mix up

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stux posted:

That's true but I liked selaco too

Don't sleep on the user maps in Prodeus btw, the high rated ones have all been very solid and its actually been fun not having a fully kitted out inventory after coming off the campaign.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

selaco is really impressive for what its doing in the engine but i think its just not for me, however thats because i have a chimp brain and i just want to skate around at 1000mph like a lunatic without stopping, rather than the gaem being bad

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

refunded super mario bros because the initial goomba enemies are boring as gently caress

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stux posted:

selaco is really impressive for what its doing in the engine but i think its just not for me, however thats because i have a chimp brain and i just want to skate around at 1000mph like a lunatic without stopping, rather than the gaem being bad

Hell, I'll play them all.

Well, really I'll play the good ones there are quite a bunch of also-rans being made now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Refunded Tetris because the first block was a square and how can it possibly be fun to stack squares?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Serephina posted:

Setting aside its gfx/aesthetic, why would I play it over DOOM wads?
I mean at this point you probably have already set up expectations that can't be met, if you are that tuned into the Doom scene. You probably won't be happy with most modern boomer shooters then.

But I like to see other people take a swing at the formula and I think Prodeus does a great job of it. And it seems like a great engine for the community to take off with, vs D16's snapmap

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Moonscars is absolute dope. I love it. If you recognized Blasphemous for the work of genius it was, you will like this one. Fantastic action, fantastic art, an eerie and vague storyline. It's good as heck

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256876584/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1647528850

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ShadowMar posted:

refunded super mario bros because the initial goomba enemies are boring as gently caress

What the fu cc k is that title font, what kind of sans serif nightmare is that I'm smashing the cart rn

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Serephina posted:

I played it for a bit when it was EA a few years ago. I absolutely loathed the reloading; was relieved when they seemed to back off a bit on it with the rocklauncher and lightning spammer, then they dove back in with the grenade launcher being junk. It also took forever to get some fun fights to show up. Setting aside its gfx/aesthetic, why would I play it over DOOM wads? As a comparison, when I played the Selaco I was blown away. Sure, the gameplay is FEAR instead of DOOM (So I've been told, I've not played it), but it's really doing something interesting and new to me and the reloading was fun considering the gameplay loop.

So uh, would you recommend it to a grumpy grognard?

It sounds like you've already formed pretty solid arguments for why you probably wouldn't like it and if you were having that much better of a time with Selaco, might as well just wait for that. I liked Prodeus' early access but I was kind of worn out by the end of the first set of levels. Definitely didn't grab me as hard as I was hoping. I at least liked it better than Viscerafest, which just feels like it's fighting its own design at every turn. Doom-alike that demands hyperkinetic mobility and pinpoint precision shots from projectile weapons, while constantly squeezing you into cramped, boxy levels with enemies that exist exclusively as side-on sprites and distort pronouncedly when approached with any verticality. THESE THINGS DO NOT MESH

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It sounds like you've already formed pretty solid arguments for why you probably wouldn't like it and if you were having that much better of a time with Selaco, might as well just wait for that. I liked Prodeus' early access but I was kind of worn out by the end of the first set of levels. Definitely didn't grab me as hard as I was hoping. I at least liked it better than Viscerafest, which just feels like it's fighting its own design at every turn. Doom-alike that demands hyperkinetic mobility and pinpoint precision shots from projectile weapons, while constantly squeezing you into cramped, boxy levels with enemies that exist exclusively as side-on sprites and distort pronouncedly when approached with any verticality. THESE THINGS DO NOT MESH

Prodeus let's you turn on aim assist to any degree you want and also all enemies are full on 3d models, not sprites. They do distort somewhat to simulate og doom feel though.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

iirc, the enemies in prodeus are straight up just 3D models with a shader applied to them to make them look like 2D billboard sprites but you can turn off the shader in the options menu if you really want to

shaders are crazy as gently caress

KNR
May 3, 2009

Stux posted:

Haven't played selaco, but in general doom mods have the issue that the doom engine runs at a fixed 35fps, and gzdoom interpolation for higher framerates is inconsistent at best. I wonder how the build engine would feel if someone ever made a game for it that wasn't about corner shooting hitscanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I fully expected to not like Rune Factory 4 based on the screenshots but I actually really dig it. Does it hold up until the end?