Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Guitar practice today was not fun, I tried to practice cupping my pinky during the spider exercise thing and almost vomitted from the mental effort of keeping my fingers arched and moving them individually. Was rewarding because I can now sometimes cup my fingies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

also, man, Lowkey, i want a fallout.

the g&l B-Stock store has the guitar you want in surf green for 400 dollars! you gotta use web search, because if i go link it here, i might just buy it before you get the chance :twisted:

maybe sell your strat and your tele if you don't think they're cool anymore, especially if it helps get you out from under your usurious creditors!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

I might be off base, but I think in a lot of ways, LG would really dig The Beths.

They do crunchy power-pop, but all come from jazz school muso backgrounds, so they're rife with neat harmony and song structure stuff and have a cool girl singer who plays a G&L Fallout reissue (and a lead guitarist who plays a gold top Les Paul w/o being your dad's best friend). I'm thinking of asking my teacher to help me work on one of their songs next.

https://youtu.be/CkzI93Aqztk

i like this music video, and the other ones by them were good too!

i thought it was funny that the guitar lesson was like "play all these tabs exactly like this!" while the other band members had lessons like "stay focused" "be yourself" or "wear a cool hat" lmao

he's doing a rasgueado on that capo'd 8 string! his electric guitar technique has a very unique sound, which i really dig. It is sometimes its hard to hear in the mix but whaddya gonna do

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 28, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

landgrabber posted:

this was a mexican strat from CME and the reason i felt comfortable financing ti to begin with is because there wasn't any interest if i paid it off by 2023-- which i knew i could.

i would definitely finance something again if i could get a similar deal -- if i knew i wouldn't end up overpaying for it.

Sweetwater does this if you qualify for their credit card.

It's super nice but so easy to spend a bunch of money you don't need to spend.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Malaria posted:

Sweetwater does this if you qualify for their credit card.

It's super nice but so easy to spend a bunch of money you don't need to spend.

yeah, i have a CME card.

there instead of sweetwater, because they actually pick up fender's loving slack, and will give you a Player series in a pastel, or give you a jazzmaster with an offset bridge (instead of a tunomatic) and, imagine this, actual jazzmaster pickups

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

New Polyphia and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JNmz17gnMw

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

that kicks rear end, Steve Vai and Polyphia fuckin' why not. Hey that means Steve Vai is cool again now, eat poo poo haters

he did some great faces in that vid too, vintage Vai for the modern era

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

okay:

i feel like i've made this post a lot before, but i'll go for it again:

in a place right now where i really need to work on lead and trickier stuff than just rhythm-- is there a good system or just list of exercises/scales/positions??

ideally i would have a teacher, but i'm already majoring and minoring in two different instruments-- just looking for some stuff i can work on to make learning leads a little better and stuff

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What specifically is giving you trouble? Left/right hand picking coordination? Finger nimbleness? Stretching? Familiarity with scales? How to come up with lead lines?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm thinking of upgrading my old Epiphone g-400 to be more in line with current G-400 pros with coil splitting. I see Stewmac has SG wiring kits which I believe will work, but I think all I really need are the new volume pots and proper 4-wire humbuckers? I would like it to keep sounding like a Gibson but Gibson pickups are expensive as poo poo, is there a good third party option, or do I need to look out for replaced G-400 Pro pickups? I'd just like this to cost less than buying a G-400 Pro.

Edit: Actually it looks like I want Probuckers, which are made by Epiphone and pretty reasonable, I even see sets on sale with the wiring harness provided.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 29, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my old Epiphone g-400 to be more in line with current G-400 pros with coil splitting. I see Stewmac has SG wiring kits which I believe will work, but I think all I really need are the new volume pots and proper 4-wire humbuckers? I would like it to keep sounding like a Gibson but Gibson pickups are expensive as poo poo, is there a good third party option, or do I need to look out for replaced G-400 Pro pickups? I'd just like this to cost less than buying a G-400 Pro.

Edit: Actually it looks like I want Probuckers, which are made by Epiphone and pretty reasonable, I even see sets on sale with the wiring harness provided.

That’s a lot of kit for the money with those ProBuckers. Almost impulse purchase levels…

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nitsuga posted:

That’s a lot of kit for the money with those ProBuckers. Almost impulse purchase levels…

You found the same ones I did on AliExpress?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've got probuckers with coil splits in my 339 they sound pretty nice. Big range of tones available.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I was just given a Crate 100 watt bass amp for free and I just wanted to check with you guys - my guitars sound pretty good through it, and it has an effects loop, so the very next thing I should do with my life is buy a Metal Zone, right?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

can someone invite me to the goon guitar discord?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Doctor Dogballs posted:

PM'ed, enjoy!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

You found the same ones I did on AliExpress?

They’re elsewhere too. Looks like you wouldn’t even have to solder, hmm…

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
NGL I felt so happy for Steve Vai in that video (old man get props while being relevant) I got legit choked up a little. Good for him.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I did not know this was a thing…

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Red_Fred posted:

I did not know this was a thing…

Every subforum was preparing for an exodus when Lowtax was outed as a wifebeater. I don't know how many of them are still around.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

landgrabber posted:

okay:

in a place right now where i really need to work on lead and trickier stuff than just rhythm-- is there a good system or just list of exercises/scales/positions??

ideally i would have a teacher, but i'm already majoring and minoring in two different instruments-- just looking for some stuff i can work on to make learning leads a little better and stuff

One thing that really helped me was transcribing jazz solos, but not from the instrument you primarily play. I'd transcribe Monk piano solos (right hand only) and Miles' trumpet solos for upright bass. It helped me think about things melodically/theoretically rather than trying to find cool poo poo to play that would be comfortable or fall into patterns on an upright.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

okay:

if you're willing to get a new book, Leavitt's Modern Method Guitar has a ton of great scale and arpeggio exercises in many different keys. but if not, a good thing to try is playing scales and arpeggio patterns you like with lots of variations: staccato / legato, accenting different beats, different rhythms like dotted sixteenths & swing 8ths, crescendo / decrescendo at different speeds. basically try every single thing possible. it'll develop a lot more control in your right hand.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
saw dinosaur jr. last night and got to soak up that J. Mascis sound

for the first time i actually wore ear plugs!

only negative was between the opener and dinosaur jr. i witnessed roughly 1000 guitar switches it felt like, probably the most awkward between songs show ive been to, lots of tuning between songs

edit: and of all the guits j. mascis pulled out the sparkly tele sounded best

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 29, 2022

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Welp. I’m pretty new to guitar and apparently have more money than sense. I saw a Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster for $199 with free shipping and pulled the trigger. I have a Bullet Mustang now so this is different enough that I don’t feel too bad with the purchase, but worried that I broke the seal and am going to fall down the GAS hole.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Welp. I’m pretty new to guitar and apparently have more money than sense. I saw a Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster for $199 with free shipping and pulled the trigger. I have a Bullet Mustang now so this is different enough that I don’t feel too bad with the purchase, but worried that I broke the seal and am going to fall down the GAS hole.

Ha, get back to us when

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I don't think I'd ever buy this, but it's a really novel idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=207Wen8M5Rk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tad Naff posted:

Ha, get back to us when

Whenever someone sees my wall of guitars the conversation inevitably goes "Wow, that's a lot of guitars. You must be in a pretty cool band." "...band?"

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Tad Naff posted:

Ha, get back to us when

Pfft, amateur numbers

Wilshires, Coronets, SGs, and "painted" Strats

Teles

Hondos, amps, stack of full hard cases, stuff in gag bags and an Yngwie pile in the back.

There might be a couple more racks and a few cases under my bed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you should call that first rack wilshire farms

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you flip those or cycle things around? Or just collect for the joy of it?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Huxley posted:

Do you flip those or cycle things around? Or just collect for the joy of it?

6 of one, half dozen of the other. I buy and flip using the profits to buy stuff for the "permanent" collection, and stuff from that will eventually get sold off to buy whatever new brand/type I'm enamored with at the time. There's really only 5 or 6 guitars that I can't see selling at some time, everything else is available for the right price. LIke, my '75 SG is awesome, and I only paid $375 for it, but if someone offered $1500 I'd be packing it up right now. There are a lot of SGs just as good or better for less than that and the left overs could buy another weird Hondo or Harmony.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My Pignose arrived today, I now officially have an amp. I have only played it clean(ish) so far. I'm too afraid to crank the volume enough for real breakup. But that's fine, I'm working on trying to learn fingerstyle stuff so that works out to be clean. It's cool to have an amp other than a headphone amp.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love your tele rack. Mine only has 3 so far.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have two electric guitars, one acoustic guitar, and two short scale basses. I don't think I need much of anything else as far as guitars are concerned.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My forever collection is a squire thinline I've changed most the parts on, a deluxe, a mim jazz bass, and a martin.

My probably-gonna-sell list is a mustang bass I couldn't bring myself to like, a plus top tele I had fall in my lap, and a classical I'll hand down once I finally get a forever classical.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
A few of the guitars I thought were going to be 'lifers' ended up getting sold anyway. I've realised I get as much fun out of the chase as I do owning them and if I can sell for what I paid after a year than happy days.

Regarding sentimental ones - I've got a Squier CV Jazz in Inca silver which I bought in the car park at a festival we were headlining and immediately walked onstage with. We'd had to give our rental gear back and I didn't own any working basses, so was just the first thing I liked on Gumtree; took that one on national TV next day and became my main touring bass, although I'm into Ps now.

My last resort ride-or-die is a Tokai SG Special that is one of my favourites but mostly won't get sold because I played it at Wembley. Zero to complain about luckily, but I really only took it on the tour because I wanted another white guitar to match my rental... It's a funny business.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I don't have any new gear or anything but tomorrow night I'm seeing one of my favourite bluesy singer/guitarists in concert, Colin James. Fuckin stooooked, the venue's only about a 2000 person capacity and I'm in row 7 dead center.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

darkwasthenight posted:

A few of the guitars I thought were going to be 'lifers' ended up getting sold anyway. I've realised I get as much fun out of the chase as I do owning them and if I can sell for what I paid after a year than happy days.

Regarding sentimental ones - I've got a Squier CV Jazz in Inca silver which I bought in the car park at a festival we were headlining and immediately walked onstage with. We'd had to give our rental gear back and I didn't own any working basses, so was just the first thing I liked on Gumtree; took that one on national TV next day and became my main touring bass, although I'm into Ps now.

My last resort ride-or-die is a Tokai SG Special that is one of my favourites but mostly won't get sold because I played it at Wembley. Zero to complain about luckily, but I really only took it on the tour because I wanted another white guitar to match my rental... It's a funny business.

What band are you in?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ooh, lipsticks in a bass. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Just got mine hung up on the wall. I still can't play for poo poo, but they look nice!