Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you can do a mechanic 90% of the time, and everyone else is the same, you only have a 42% chance of no one messing up. If it's a mechanic where one player messing up is a wipe, you can have a lot of fun in PF

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This is way lower stakes, but what's the etiquette on joining unsynched EX farm parties on PF if you haven't run the fight before? Is it acceptable as long as you've read/watched a guide? I've been considering farming dogs and gwibs but haven't run most of those fights before, and I'm wondering if I should grab FC-mates to carry me through at least one clear before hitting PF.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

an unsynced EX is going to melt incredibly fast, so i dont think you need to worry too much at all

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm mostly concerned about the gwib farms, where at least some of those fights seem to have non-trivial mechanics even unsynched. I'm guessing dog farms are just fine.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly concerned about the gwib farms, where at least some of those fights seem to have non-trivial mechanics even unsynched. I'm guessing dog farms are just fine.

For those, the one you really need to worry about is the Warrior of Light fight.
Maybe Diamond weapon as well, but you should be fine if you can do the numbers part.
For everything else you can just power through with inflated stats, or won't cause a wipe if you mess up.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

i was not excluding the shb ones, they will melt too (like all expacs you could feel the early ones already disintegrating by the end of the xpacs gear level)
any mechanic that cant be just purely powered through will stand in isolation enough youre better off just encountering it, rather than trying to parse every mechanic from a video guide that was made at the time and figuring out which ones will live.
Hades in particular was pretty easy to phase each lifebar early on release, I can hardly imagine how that fight feels now

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Resubscribing right now

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's mind boggling that devour is a mechanic that kills groups.

Devour loving sucks. It is my least favorite mechanic of the entire tier and that includes p8s. 1 person dying is recoverable with snap adjustment. Two is dicey but fixable if smart. 3 is a wipe.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Antivehicular posted:

This is way lower stakes, but what's the etiquette on joining unsynched EX farm parties on PF if you haven't run the fight before? Is it acceptable as long as you've read/watched a guide? I've been considering farming dogs and gwibs but haven't run most of those fights before, and I'm wondering if I should grab FC-mates to carry me through at least one clear before hitting PF.

tbh as long as you don't bring a level 70/80 class with scavean gear no one will care
(i saw the above multiple times!!!!! when i was working through stb/shb extremes earlier this year)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

hahaha wow dang

I was in a PF last week with a level 70 guy who wanted to do Wreath of Snakes EX synched, but at least that was clearly listed in the PF. (We got a clear after... IDK, three or four wipes? No dog, but that wasn't really the point.)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

yes my pet peeve is people who join unsync parties when they're not max level

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

yes my pet peeve is people who join unsync parties when they're not max level

This is OK if they're blue mages though, at least as long as they have their abilities unlocked and use them correctly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Devour is probably the hardest mechanic of the first three fights in terms of actual movement. Nothing else is that fast at minimum for how you have to dodge.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Current Raid Spoilers Obvioushttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P59F7Z0cCXU

Devour is actually super simple movement if you just decide to move across the center. If it's zig zag you just cross on the jump back and go far, full circle you cross wait for the double back then cross back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Devour is actually super simple movement if you just decide to move across the center. If it's zig zag you just cross on the jump back and go far, full circle you cross wait for the double back then cross back.

I never realized the backtrack on the circle takes such a big jump to start so I was running the full arc

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bruceski posted:

I never realized the backtrack on the circle takes such a big jump to start so I was running the full arc

Seeing this vid broke my brain and the mechanic went from impossible to the easiest poo poo in the fight. You barely have to move.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The rule I've come to on Devour is to ignore what everyone else is doing. Block out your shot caller, ignore the 7 other morons in there with you. Then execute whatever your preplanned strategy is. I count triangles. It's easy to remember for me, and I straight up don't gently caress up anymore. The problem I see with people is them trying to watch what others are doing or listen to a shotcaller or something other than focusing on themselves to the exclusion of everything else. Because that's when they second guess themselves and gently caress it up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yeah that dude pops up a couple times in ARR content and he's...

He's a lot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Warmachine posted:

The rule I've come to on Devour is to ignore what everyone else is doing. Block out your shot caller, ignore the 7 other morons in there with you. Then execute whatever your preplanned strategy is. I count triangles. It's easy to remember for me, and I straight up don't gently caress up anymore. The problem I see with people is them trying to watch what others are doing or listen to a shotcaller or something other than focusing on themselves to the exclusion of everything else. Because that's when they second guess themselves and gently caress it up.

Yeah. I don't know why groups specify what devour strat you're using. You just walk across the arena. Doesn't matter what people do.

I went back and looked at videos for it after I cleared and it's loving amazing how people try to describe it, like you need a degree in trigonometry. You just walk from one corner across the arena.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devour is definitely designed to look like it is a crazy movement mechanic but yeah it is laughably easy once you know which of the two patterns it'll use and then take, like, five steps in the right direction.

The way pub groups handle one of the snake/wing combos in P6S is honestly more complicated in terms of movement.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

conga line cachexia

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Especially in the more serious bsns side of PF, people will just ask for you to provide logs where you've gotten to or past the point of prog listed.

I've never seen this on Chaos. Where are you finding these people?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i assume that sort of thing is only for ultimates or maaaaaaaybe a savage static that suddenly needs a sub

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've never seen this on Chaos. Where are you finding these people?

Aether -- Queueing for a PF group that's doing something like, 'High Concept 2 Prog' will frequently be met with someone asking for proof that you've at least seen up to that point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. I don't know why groups specify what devour strat you're using. You just walk across the arena. Doesn't matter what people do.

I went back and looked at videos for it after I cleared and it's loving amazing how people try to describe it, like you need a degree in trigonometry. You just walk from one corner across the arena.

Honestly, the "walk across the mid" strat that I saw described looked stupid as gently caress, and I like my way better. :colbert:

Which is the entire point I was trying to make--learn what gets you through the mechanic 100% of the time, and aggressively ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. Because so long as I was trying to listen to someone else, I was loving it up. So I'm gonna be counting floor segments until they day I stop doing p5s.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Aether -- Queueing for a PF group that's doing something like, 'High Concept 2 Prog' will frequently be met with someone asking for proof that you've at least seen up to that point.
Can't say as I've encountered that queueing into random parties on Aether, but people will occasionally get vividly vocal if there's a death at a part before the listed prog.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Have never seen that in Chaos. At most proof of clear (like a drop) when entering a farm group that didn't put Duty Complete and suddenly there's a new player message.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i've yet to see pf handle cachexia 2 correctly, and i think the "just tank lb3 it" attitude has rotted people's brain so much you see one to three people die to it anyway

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

that's funny because whenever i get a pf group that actually reaches coachella 2 electric boogaloo they execute it perfectly and then a tank hits lb3 ten seconds after it resolves

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 28, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Honestly, the "walk across the mid" strat that I saw described looked stupid as gently caress, and I like my way better. :colbert:

Which is the entire point I was trying to make--learn what gets you through the mechanic 100% of the time, and aggressively ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. Because so long as I was trying to listen to someone else, I was loving it up. So I'm gonna be counting floor segments until they day I stop doing p5s.

Isn't one of the major strats all about counting those triangles just like you? I think mine is a little weird in that I use the jumping audio cues. Three landings and I stop and circle back

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i line up, press w, then maybe s if it's the clockwise then back pattern

(actually i press w then chase carby around in a circle because i like to live dangerously)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

i've yet to see pf handle cachexia 2 correctly, and i think the "just tank lb3 it" attitude has rotted people's brain so much you see one to three people die to it anyway

this week my static handled it correctly by skipping it. maybe PF wil get there eventually

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I had a PF group figure it out then drop the ball on enrage, whelp. At least I can join enrage groups with a clear conscience.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

aers posted:

this week my static handled it correctly by skipping it. maybe PF wil get there eventually
I checked a friend's static's log that skipped chex 2 and they were at ~64k I believe. For my two PF clears yesterday the groups were around 62k a few minutes into the fight. Maybe random groups will be able to do it when people are closer to full 630. Maybe people will reuse the Skip (mechanic) or Disband meme then

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The insistence on tank lb on cachexia is weird to me because I feel it's a lot easier than the first iteration of the mechanic. You just go to the correct side and then stick with your group to find the safe spot, then whoever gets the aoe marker only needs to go two squares north or south.

The only thing that can really go wrong is a few people getting blasted by someone not turning their snake, but even that doesn't necessarily kill

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Hogama posted:

Can't say as I've encountered that queueing into random parties on Aether, but people will occasionally get vividly vocal if there's a death at a part before the listed prog.

To be fair I've had some luck with getting vocal about that.

P7S enrage --> clear party monday night, group kept dying to stupid crap pre-purg, so I said 'Okay look unless we make real progress this is my last pull'.

We promptly hit 3% enrage on the next pull, and cleared it a couple pulls later.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Endings posted:

To be fair I've had some luck with getting vocal about that.

P7S enrage --> clear party monday night, group kept dying to stupid crap pre-purg, so I said 'Okay look unless we make real progress this is my last pull'.

We promptly hit 3% enrage on the next pull, and cleared it a couple pulls later.

The old "ok focus up" is a bit of a meme but sometimes people do just need to reset and get their act together.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sometimes a 5 minute break to clear your head is all you need. I typically perform my worst on the first pull of the night because my head isn't "in the game" yet. Relatedly, after an hour of back-to-back pulls, people are going to start slipping because they've been sitting in place for an hour repeating the same mechanics over and over again and oops my mind wandered and I stood in the wrong place or pressed the wrong button. Literally did this last night where despite having the target-of-target in front of me, I lost track of who had aggro (it was me) and retaunted the boss after the tank swap. I managed to recover because I realized my mistake in time to pop my invuln and shirk.

Soft factors are important. People aren't computers and your brain meat is prone to errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's extremely common on aether, which means it's de-facto common on all the NA DCs because people are starting to do raid tourism