Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think they mentioned a way to merge accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Splinter posted:

I think they mentioned a way to merge accounts

That's only to merge a console account and a PC account.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Requiring a phone number for an account is kind of dumb but passes on the lovely 2FA metric that so many things use now (even though phones are not great for that). But limiting it to one account per number is real dumb, not only for the above but also because of things like maybe someone might want to play this with their kids? There are plenty of reasons a person or household might have multiple accounts.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Bnet is already warning you to add a phone number, you can bypass the alert for now.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Proven posted:

I can believe new players could want to do something like this, especially more casual players. It’s the least bad news of everything OW2 imo.

Doesn't playing in a group cause the matchmaking to pair you against other groups?

So yeah, a bunch of new players can group up and play who they want, but now there's a good chance of being matched against an actually coordinated team and getting stomped.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Requiring a phone number for an account is kind of dumb but passes on the lovely 2FA metric that so many things use now (even though phones are not great for that). But limiting it to one account per number is real dumb, not only for the above but also because of things like maybe someone might want to play this with their kids? There are plenty of reasons a person or household might have multiple accounts.

Hope all your kids have cell #s and like their voice recorded by blizz

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

BisbyWorl posted:

Doesn't playing in a group cause the matchmaking to pair you against other groups?

So yeah, a bunch of new players can group up and play who they want, but now there's a good chance of being matched against an actually coordinated team and getting stomped.

I think that quoted statement was more about a new player being able to play unrestricted when they team up with their friends that already play the game, rather than a bunch of noobs deciding to 6 stack. Regardless, a new account is taken into account for match making, and IME if anything it will initially underrate the new player giving your team a few easy wins before it adjusts (at least if you're not 6 stacking). Getting crushed by coordinated teams is really only a thing if you 6 stack, as when you 6 stack match making will try very hard to pair you against another 6 stack. If you're running like a 4 stack (or even 5 stack?), you'll often be matched against 2 or 3 smaller stacks. IIRC though, when you play role queue it doesn't indicate which of your teammates or enemies are grouped anymore (I imagine since it organizes the team avatars by role rather than group now), so this is mostly me going from memory from pre-role-queue days.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hope all your kids have cell #s and like their voice recorded by blizz

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some work around for family members or kids although most kids have phones these days and technically you have to be 13+ to play so Blizzard might just not care

I'm very happy the voice recording stuff is coming in. Playing in competitive with friends and listening to assholes saying rape threats with no consequences is brutal. "Just mute them" isn't good enough here in a team game. Hopefully this automatic transcription stuff leads to some well deserved bans.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

The Bee posted:

And even if this system is actually a pretty good idea, the optics are stuck on "it'll take you 100 games to get what you used to have immediately."

While I kinda agree, this stays true for anyone that actually paid money before OW2 launch. A real equivalent would be keeping the Watchpoint pack or some other bundle available that you buy to skip the new player lockout.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Proven posted:

While I kinda agree, this stays true for anyone that actually paid money before OW2 launch. A real equivalent would be keeping the Watchpoint pack or some other bundle available that you buy to skip the new player lockout.

I'm waiting for this to be the case, it's such a naked cash grab I can't imagine they wouldn't do it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Also lol; "Overwatch 2 VP Interested In Exploring Brand Collaborations, Cites Fortnite's Naruto Crossover"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:negative:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i kind of hope ow2 crashes and fails even though that will leave me with just gundam, the only remaining fps with respawn and no overtuned aim assist

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That's the end game of f2p skin markets: :20bux: for a Bundle of licensed crap you don't care about.

I wish the game had a toggle for "Just show me default skins on everyone".

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

naruto forming a cross to ward off blizzard executives

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Any game locking heroes behind a grind or paywall is a joke after Dota 2 gave/gives them all for free. It was stupid when League did it before Dota 2 came out too.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Can't wait to see Tracer and Lucio all kitted up in the next Call of Duty Shootermans, ooh rah!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As soon as they start promoting outside franchises in Overwatch, I'm loving out.

They'll have to fortnite dance over my dead body.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Any game locking heroes behind a grind or paywall is a joke after Dota 2 gave/gives them all for free. It was stupid when League did it before Dota 2 came out too.

If the cost of having all the heroes for free is the god awful dota 2 cosmetics, I'd rather pay for heroes tbh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arzachel posted:

If the cost of having all the heroes for free is the god awful dota 2 cosmetics, I'd rather pay for heroes tbh

League's are worse but yeah it sucks they dropped their art guidelines after not too long. They were fine when they made folks stick to that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I quit TF2 because the cosmetic poo poo was getting ridiculous. Same with additional increasingly more and more stupid weapons.

You could never tell what the character you were looking at could do until after you were dead.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As was alluded to earlier, in TF2 You could mod out all cosmetics, fat chance of doing that here.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Father Wendigo posted:

Can't wait to see Tracer and Lucio all kitted up in the next Call of Duty Shootermans, ooh rah!

I'm so disappointed in the current Lucio skins that I'd rather he just wore some tacticool gear.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

All of the news the past few days is so gross. Feels bad after 25 years of various blizzard games taking more of my attention than pretty much any other media. I wonder what trajectory this is going to take. Obviously the model has proven to work for MOBAs and BRs that actually connect with people. After playing the beta, I don't think they are going to hit a home run on gameplay on day 1, and obviously queue times are going to be a deterrent. Maybe open queue gets more momentum and tanks get balanced for that (will there be open queue day 1?)

The saving grace could be that people add it to their rotation of F2Ps to keep up with for nostalgia reasons and new players find a chill and fun game that lasts 10-20 minutes and you get some satisfying feedback and a path to a few free unlocks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can learn everything you need to about the future of Blizzard video games by looking at how money they made from Diablo Immortal and it's bleak.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

games are about whale hunting trust fund kids now old man

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Gundam has its share of issues but at its core it’s like overwatch but faster and no classes and no game winning ults. No role queue either, only restriction is one suit per team.

I was interested in coming back to OW but everything I’ve read over the past few months has just turned me off completely.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Have they ever explicitly mentioned what will happen to ranked points and golden guns? I remember that waaay back, Kaplan said they kind of regretted putting the golden guns in in the first place.

I just checked, I still had 3000+ points lying around because at the time, I didn't care for any of the golden guns I was missing.
Just grabbed a golden Hanzo bow, if that is the last golden weapon I'll ever be able to get.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

they named the overwatch sequel gundam

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Have they ever explicitly mentioned what will happen to ranked points and golden guns? I remember that waaay back, Kaplan said they kind of regretted putting the golden guns in in the first place.

They're going to sell you weapon skins

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DrBox posted:

I would say with hindsight they should have never gone with the idea of a sequel to the multilayer but otherwise totally agree. They should have kept pushing out at least small content updates until they had a substantial thing to release for OW2 including the PvE stuff. I hope some day a retrospective comes out explaining how that got so bogged down in development hell. Seems like internally there was a real conflict for what direction the game should go in and that led to just nothing happening

Eh, I think if there was enough substance to make a sequel, a sequel is warranted. We had four years of free updates, if OW2 was actually a complete game and not a mod pack for OW1, sure, make it a numbered entry. But they're not, now that they're mostly changing the existing game, forcing everyone to move forward by basically overriding OW1 so people can't ignore it if they wanted to, and instead of it being the complete experience OW1 was at launch it's basically adding every bit of freemuim trash garbage under the sun.

Like, OW is probably moving from something I played Arcade in to mess around with friends and dodge the insufferable queue times that still got me too many bad games to consider an improvement over the old way to something I just stop playing. Oh well.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I only played maybe half a dozen rounds so this isn’t a particularly strong opinion, but despite looking and feeling like a cheap piece of poo poo Gundam is legit a more fun Overwatch experience than Overwatch has been since its original release window

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wheeee posted:

I only played maybe half a dozen rounds so this isn’t a particularly strong opinion, but despite looking and feeling like a cheap piece of poo poo Gundam is legit a more fun Overwatch experience than Overwatch has been since its original release window

I’ve played a few dozen rounds now and this still tracks

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Gundam reminded me of Hawken and made me suddenly very sad because Hawken was just too beautiful to exist in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1niWL6G2o4

most tragic mismanaged game ever :rip:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Wheeee posted:

Gundam reminded me of Hawken and made me suddenly very sad because Hawken was just too beautiful to exist in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1niWL6G2o4

most tragic mismanaged game ever :rip:

Yeah I played this one from closed early betas through all the changes. Wish it had stuck. Killer art design and some cool ideas. This was back when I think only LoL had really figured out how to make f2p work though. Feel like it'd probably do better/be more focused if it dropped sometime in the last two years.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I haven't played the Gundam OW-game, but I've seen Angryjoe video about it.
I just don't care about the robots and the gameplay and maps looked a bit clunky.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23857518/initializing-systems-updating-competitive-play-for-overwatch-2/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh hey that really did bother me, hey that's not so bad. :unsmith:

:argh: you're Just wasting time and effort recreating the same thing !?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ahh, removing visible mmr and replacing it with fantasy points (which inflate over the course of each season). We all should have seen that one coming too.