Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casnorf posted:

have you met undertale weirdos

Thankfully, I have not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Escobarbarian posted:

Thankfully, I have not.

lucky dude

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Casnorf posted:

have you met undertale weirdos

let me tell you about this little known game called undertale...

*3000 page screed*

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I loved Disco Elysium but I think sticking my head into the sardonic online political theory firehose in the years leading up to it burned me out somewhat on that aspect of it. I should go back and play the Final Cut sometime now that my psyche has had a chance to heal.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hi thread. If I buy the ps4 version of elden ring, is it free to upgrade to the ps5 version? Reddit says yes, but I always like to confirm with my goon friends.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Hi thread. If I buy the ps4 version of elden ring, is it free to upgrade to the ps5 version? Reddit says yes, but I always like to confirm with my goon friends.

Yes. Depending on your perspective, though, playing the PS4 version on a PS5 might be a better experience since the framerate is more stable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

It is free and the amount of patches they have had means the PS5 version runs pretty much flawlessly for me. I think the PS5 version is probably the version to play. :hai:

Also thank you Aipsh, BP, Quantum, Morpheus, Esco and Cas. I will mull it all over. :)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

wait whyd i get a callout im just being a butt about weird rabid fandoms and giving bop a pass because he wanted me to play the game so bad he bought me a copy and i really cant be too harsh on a dude whats willing to throw down instead of just haranguing everyone to spend their own money

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

for the record i rather like the game but man is it ever not friendly to people who are already swamped with That poo poo

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
I'm nearing the end of Dark Souls, all I've got left is to kill Manus (assuming he's the final boss of the dlc) and fill the lordvessel with the Dark Souls™.

mANUS is a real fucker, I can get him under 50% but then he inevitably does a huge magic move I never manage to avoid and then I'm dead. Pure jackass fuckery imo.

Current roadblock aside, dang this is a good game. It's the first fromsoft game I've played totally offline, no message handholding, and I think I vastly prefer it this way. Sometimes I get hosed over really hard because I miss a ladder and end up stuck in hell way too long (TOMB OF THE GIIIIIAAAAAANTS :argh:), but the sense of exploration, discovery, and loneliness is so good. 100% doing darksouls 2, 3, and every future soulsborne game like this.

Little aside I don't know how to elegantly incorporate into this post:
My eyes just about rolled out of my head when I first encountered Guinevere, but then I found the ingame lore: Gwyndolin made a hyper horny illusion of his sister to gently caress with the undead???? LMAO I take it back! I take it all back, that's hysterical.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxcnwH8TPEg

Gonna build my acme 100t hammer trap then beat you up with my umbrella. It looks pretty neat! I like the monster and equipment designs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

I'm nearing the end of Dark Souls, all I've got left is to kill Manus (assuming he's the final boss of the dlc) and fill the lordvessel with the Dark Souls™.

mANUS is a real fucker, I can get him under 50% but then he inevitably does a huge magic move I never manage to avoid and then I'm dead. Pure jackass fuckery imo.
There are two ways to deal with Manus' magic:

The first is a hidden item you can find in the Oolacile Township behind an illusory wall that will disappear if you have a way to produce light (either by magic or through an equipped item).

The second way is to know the trick to avoiding the magic. He has three magic moves: a frontal barrage, a meteor storm, and a ring of magic that comes in from outside. The frontal barrage is easy enough to just dodge to the side. The meteor storm can be avoided by just sprinting around since it targets where you're standing. The tricky one is the magic ring, but it's actually the easiest one to avoid: just run right up to him and the magic will dissipate before it hits you. You can even get some free hits on him while it's going off.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Volte posted:

There are two ways to deal with Manus' magic:

The first is a hidden item you can find in the Oolacile Township behind an illusory wall that will disappear if you have a way to produce light (either by magic or through an equipped item).

I totally forgot about that :dumb:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Fix posted:

I've got Prodeus, Tunic, and Tinykin in my shopping cart for the second I feel the need to pull the ripcord on Horizon FW, but I really don't think that's going to happen, this game is hitting all my buttons. There are so many good games out right now.

Yeah, it's a great year for games but FW's my game of the year easily. It's rare for me to find an open world game where I'd actually prefer to run on foot than fast travel or use a mount, but I found it really easy to get immersed in.

The only thing I didn't really like was how chatty Aloy is about puzzles but I got over it eventually. Though she'd never speak up when I actually got stuck...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Little aside I don't know how to elegantly incorporate into this post:
My eyes just about rolled out of my head when I first encountered Guinevere, but then I found the ingame lore: Gwyndolin made a hyper horny illusion of his sister to gently caress with the undead???? LMAO I take it back! I take it all back, that's hysterical.

Don't think it'll have any negative consequence for you at this point, so try shooting an arrow at her :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Hardspace Shipbreaker is a bit of fun but sometimes is a bit too much for me to have to think about.

So I downloaded The Outer Wilds finally, after avoiding reading anything about it for so long, and it has proven to be very interesting. Not sure it helps the thinking too much part, but at least there's no 15 minute shift clock looming overhead. And the 22 minute clock looming overhead isn't a pain in the rear end at all considering the whole time loop nature, it works perfectly for an exploratory game like this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't played much of the Final Cut, but that's just because I burned out hard on Disco Elysium because I LP'd it over the course of a year. I keep trying to go back and see the new stuff but I have a hard time reacclimating.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Macichne Leainig posted:

Hardspace Shipbreaker is a bit of fun but sometimes is a bit too much for me to have to think about.

So I downloaded The Outer Wilds finally, after avoiding reading anything about it for so long, and it has proven to be very interesting. Not sure it helps the thinking too much part, but at least there's no 15 minute shift clock looming overhead. And the 22 minute clock looming overhead isn't a pain in the rear end at all considering the whole time loop nature, it works perfectly for an exploratory game like this.

The Outer Wilds is like, the definition of a game that is "too much for me to have to think about" (and I mean that in the most endearing way possible).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The Outer Wilds is like, the definition of a game that is "too much for me to have to think about" (and I mean that in the most endearing way possible).

Yeah but at least it's more interesting than "oops I accidentally brushed my cutter up against fabric and now everything is on fire and the fuel tanks just exploded"

Not to say anything bad about Hardspace Shipbreaker, it's just that sometimes being a Shipbreaker sucks rear end and they hit that on the head. Outer Wilds is good for that "uhhhh I gotta figure out WTF is going on" type of gameplay

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 28, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casnorf posted:

for the record i rather like the game but man is it ever not friendly to people who are already swamped with That poo poo

Yeah I feel like I actually need to take like a week’s holiday off work or something just to see it through and give it the attention I feel it deserves

And honestly I might do that one day

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I feel like I actually need to take like a week’s holiday off work or something just to see it through and give it the attention I feel it deserves

And honestly I might do that one day

same tho

lately all i ever want is head empty no thoughts cause gently caress man

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Casnorf posted:

same tho

lately all i ever want is head empty no thoughts cause gently caress man

Same
Reading this thread is one of the ways I keep my head empty and I mean that in the best way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don’t read this bop thanks

Disco Elysium is good but as I near the end stretch of it I find it harder for me to want to play it. Dark media doesn’t turn me off or anything, it’s not that. It’s a game absolutely pulled along by its strong writing. I liked the gameplay at first but the more I deal with it the less I enjoy it. The movement, moment to moment gameplay, “quest” structure, none of that really hits the spot for me. It’s all sort of clunky and not very satisfying to play. That said the writing, worldbuilding, characters are very well done. Like honestly it’s one of those Big Unique Vision games that you can tell you’re not going to play anything quite like again. It’s basically a game I would burn out on in a hour if it didn’t have 10/10 writing.

That’s not to say I dislike it. I absolutely do not. There’s a reason I’ve restarted it three times (and maybe a reason why I’ve stopped playing twice). It’s extremely memorable and will hold a special place in my vidya game heart but it’s not going on my top whatever list of games simply because getting to the good part of the game requires playing a game that I don’t enjoy playing very much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
can't stop playing disco elysium, it's soooo good. i wanna play it all the time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i can never understand people who don't play great games because of *the fandom*
what are you, 14? just ignore them lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My issue with Disco Elysium is that I want to play it again to see some other lines of dialogue about stuff like if you're a different kind of cop but I'm going to want to do everything else all over again, even if it doesn't really change, and I don't have time for that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Augus posted:

i can never understand people who don't play great games because of *the fandom*

It’s really dumb but usually means they don’t actually want to be into said thing in the first place but are just interested enough to spin it into something about how they’re better than the fandom in question. At least that’s why I’ve said that.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

can't stop playing disco elysium, it's soooo good. i wanna play it all the time.

must be fuckin nice

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s really dumb but usually means they don’t actually want to be into said thing in the first place but are just interested enough to spin it into something about how they’re better than the fandom in question. At least that’s why I’ve said that.

occasionally its just being tired of hearing about a thing i mean im sure im exactly as insufferable about battletech or i dunno whatever you happen to be looking at if you visit me at work

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

liquidypoo said it best to me once: "You don't have to keep selling me; I'm already sold!"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Augus posted:

fr fr, i dont care about any of thoes tumblr/twitter freaks and i just enjoy the good games. feels good!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
elden ring.... disco elysium... yeah... i'm thinkng good games might be back!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Casnorf posted:

liquidypoo said it best to me once: "You don't have to keep selling me; I'm already sold!"

Passionate annoying is imo the best most pure form of annoying so I’m gonna give you a pass here blub

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Quantum of Phallus posted:

fr fr, i dont care about any of thoes tumblr/twitter freaks and i just enjoy the good games. feels good!!!

Good lord if I let fans of games get in my way of playing games I'd never play any games.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Disco Elysium fandom is as lame as all fandoms but it is a fabulous game and I can’t wait to buy zaums next game
I think I beat it twice and got like 40 hours from it money well spent
I may start a new run never went facist or mean to Kim route, might be hard tho
The OST is awesome

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Passionate annoying is imo the best most pure form of annoying so I’m gonna give you a pass here blub

i appreciate you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Disco is one of the pillars of gaming, and I'm really enjoying Outer Wilds.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

edit; your big november release is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXWAv74Aks

but also skull and bones delayed 4 more months lol

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 28, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dualsense Left analog stick went out. Tried to ship to sony and got a kickback for being OOW (and stupidly, they wont let me get it fixed by paying OOW). I do want to get it repaired and i'm coming up short on places to get it fixed 3rd party. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

incoherent posted:

Dualsense Left analog stick went out. Tried to ship to sony and got a kickback for being OOW (and stupidly, they wont let me get it fixed by paying OOW). I do want to get it repaired and i'm coming up short on places to get it fixed 3rd party. Any suggestions?

the same suggestion i always give, buy a second controller, keep the box and receipt, if one of them ever breaks stick it in the box and abuse the exchange policy