Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Water is wet, sky is blue, next basho shodai will win 8 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The grumpy old men have spoken up.

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719693424054273?t=-FQCd_xTc3yjOV3uC6XKfA&s=19

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719696259420160

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719698725371905

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719701124628481

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719703485923336

Ozeki rank reforms sound the most interesting to me here. Instead of a bigger rank drop like what the YDC suggested, maybe something along the lines of making kadoban something that can only be given once a year?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The YDC is so loving funny. There's no need to "reform" the ozeki rank system. A weak ozeki corps can only last as long as the guys in the junior san'yaku and the joi aren't up to the task of unseating them. We've had basically the same group of guys just below ozeki over over a year now (Wakatakakage, Daieisho, Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, Tobizaru, Takayasu, etc.), and they collectively haven't been able to soak up enough wins to take down even Shodai. I suspect that level of equilibrium is about to be disrupted.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

anakha posted:

Ozeki rank reforms sound the most interesting to me here. Instead of a bigger rank drop like what the YDC suggested, maybe something along the lines of making kadoban something that can only be given once a year?

I mean, the issue with the Ozeki this time wasn't that they went kadoban at all. It was that they sucked.

Kenning posted:

The YDC is so loving funny. There's no need to "reform" the ozeki rank system. A weak ozeki corps can only last as long as the guys in the junior san'yaku and the joi aren't up to the task of unseating them. We've had basically the same group of guys just below ozeki over over a year now (Wakatakakage, Daieisho, Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, Tobizaru, Takayasu, etc.), and they collectively haven't been able to soak up enough wins to take down even Shodai. I suspect that level of equilibrium is about to be disrupted.

Also this.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I mean, the issue with the Ozeki this time wasn't that they went kadoban at all. It was that they sucked.

Yeah, but I wasn't thinking about it in terms of just this basho alone - more on how they looked throughout the year. Alternating KKs and MKs doesn't seem aligned with the standard most people hold ozeki to.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wouldn't be happy if I was told that I do circus sumo by angry old men

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
To be fair, 'circus sumo' is such a perfect description for how Tobizaru was for a while. He was constantly flapping about and too easily vaulted off the ring even compared to his similarly sized competitors. Much better now though but for a while I thought he was a bit of a comic.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

anakha posted:

Yeah, but I wasn't thinking about it in terms of just this basho alone - more on how they looked throughout the year. Alternating KKs and MKs doesn't seem aligned with the standard most people hold ozeki to.

This is where I admit my dumb brain mixed up kadoban and kyujo. This is why I'm rightfully near the bottom of fantasy juryo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takakeisho seemed fine this tournament so I assume they’re just really, really mad about the funny henka.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think they're just mad that he's stalled out at ozeki instead of becoming a proper Japanese yokozuna for them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
TO BI ZA RU
*clap clap clapclapclap*

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

I think they're just mad that he's stalled out at ozeki instead of becoming a proper Japanese yokozuna for them.

With how long it took Kisenosato, he's got plenty of time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey Tobizaru nice sumo
for a clown to perform
at the circus
baka

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Takakeisho seemed fine this tournament so I assume they’re just really, really mad about the funny henka.

My biggest disappointment of the basho was that only Waka revenge henka'd him. Really, everyone should have done it, just for the entertainment value.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, keep in mind that the average age of the YDC is like 80 or something like that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Vargatron posted:

Also, keep in mind that the average age of the YDC is like 80 or something like that.

Fun hadn't been invented yet when they were young and they never bothered to learn it once it came around.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TO BI ZA RU
*clap clap clapclapclap*

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

anakha posted:

The YDC also has grumpy old women!

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14669901

Not to be confused with the JSA which is all the old farts who get to say "back in my day...", the YDC is just a bunch of political/PR appointments who have essentially 0 power outside of recommendedinf Yokozuna promotions which are so bound in tradition it's hardly ever a debate anyways.

Anything outside the promotion of Yokozuna, their opinion is just a bunch of old, dumbass fans (albeit well connected dumbass fans) shooting the poo poo and coming up with stupid half baked sports fan ideas like all of us have.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Article posted:

“I am all for wrestlers with round bodies and charming smiles,” said Konno, known for her roles in “Shimaizaka” (1985), “Haha no iru basho” (2004) and other films.

Always nice to hear from another lady Takayasu fan

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Khizan posted:

IArguably, it’s not great for sumo for somebody who’s almost 38 to take a yusho, but iron man Tamawashi deserves it imo.

Apraxin posted:

Funnily enough, the last time a 37 year-old guy won the yusho, the upper-rank lineup was arguably the strongest of the modern era:

also, it's not like tamawashi comes off as a broken down old man in the slightest. obv everyone knows about his durability but skill wise the dude seems exactly the same as when i started following sumo in 2018 while there's guys younger than him like endo who don't seem to be at the level i first remember them at despite no major injuries that i recall. some guys are just both very lucky and gifted with the right bodies to take years of this poo poo just like in any other sport

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

anakha posted:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719693424054273?t=-FQCd_xTc3yjOV3uC6XKfA&s=19

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719696259420160

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719698725371905

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719701124628481

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1574719703485923336

lmao I hope they die mad

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

And now I want a Tobizaru yusho while he does "Circus Sumo."

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I fuckin love shodai, stay mad old men

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
For entertainment I read the comments on Jason complaining about Taka's henna and they are such herbs complaining about the dignity and blah. More henkas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh yeah, Youtube sumo fans are tremendous dorks about hinkaku and the nobility of sumo. Jason himself seems like a relative moderate – he doesn't like henkas cause he like big a big tachiai and a bout where the wrestlers have to contend with each other. He doesn't get all hung up on the dignity angle in the way his commentors do.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

If I wanted to see "anything goes and nothing matters" I would watch Extreme Championship Wrestling Heat Wave 1998 ppv

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thauros posted:

also, it's not like tamawashi comes off as a broken down old man in the slightest. obv everyone knows about his durability but skill wise the dude seems exactly the same as when i started following sumo in 2018 while there's guys younger than him like endo who don't seem to be at the level i first remember them at despite no major injuries that i recall. some guys are just both very lucky and gifted with the right bodies to take years of this poo poo just like in any other sport

Yeah, for sure. Tamawashi might be 37, but he’s not doing broken old man sumo like Terunofuji and Tochinoshin are, or like Hakuho was. Granted, Hak’s broken old man sumo was still better than anybody else’s healthy sumo, but that’s why he’s the GOAT. Tamawashi still looks as good as he ever did.

Also, the Takakeisho henna was great. :colbert:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The taka henka is the only one where I kind of get and even slightly agree with the complaints, if only because I wanted to see Hokutofuji have his chance to fight for the yusho.

That, of course, made Waka's revenge henka all the more amazing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Khizan posted:

Tamawashi still looks as good as he ever did.
NHK's post-bout winner interviews are usually the same dumb poo poo you see in every sport: "You won! How do you feel?" and "I will continue to do my brand of sumo." This time I noticed that everyone was sweaty as hell and out of breath (the perfect time to squeeze in an interview, really)--except Tamawashi. He may have looked a tad exerted after one bout, but the rest of the time? Cool as a cucumber. He's doing great.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Flinger posted:

If I wanted to see "anything goes and nothing matters" I would watch Extreme Championship Wrestling Heat Wave 1998 ppv

In it Terry Funk gets struck by a barbed wire bat due to the machinations of Paul E. Dangerously.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
what do you think would happen if shodai won two yusho in a row from kadoban

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

John McClane posted:

what do you think would happen if shodai won two yusho in a row from kadoban

Why worry about that when it means Shodai would have to try two basho in a row?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
regarding takakeisho's henka: of course i hate to see hokutofuji get beat like that, but the ice cold reaction from the spectators was funny.

what i love to see: when a wrestler attempts a henka, but it doesn't work, and then they get punished.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The best henkas are when they're telegraphed and still work.

I loved that during Ichinojo's debut in makuuchi, he beat both Kisenosato and Kakuryu by doing a matta at the start to give the impression he was full of nervous energy and wanted to charge in, then at the actual tachi-ai, both opponents were expecting a clash and got bamboozled by the henka. Watching both matches, I was saying "I would henka here" after the matta, and was delighted when he did go for it.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Oh yeah, Youtube sumo fans are tremendous dorks about hinkaku and the nobility of sumo. Jason himself seems like a relative moderate – he doesn't like henkas cause he like big a big tachiai and a bout where the wrestlers have to contend with each other. He doesn't get all hung up on the dignity angle in the way his commentors do.

That's where I stand. Big guys crashing into each other is fun to watch. But a well executed henka is also a wonderful sight. So henkas are best when they are discouraged and rare because guys can mostly feel safe committing to a hard tachiai and it's a cool treat when it happens.

Too many henka and guys will get defensive at the start and/or it will get boring if a bunch of matches end with no actual fighting and the novelty is lost.

Shiroc posted:

Always nice to hear from another lady Takayasu fan

Does Takyasu have a charming smile? I love the guy and was rooting for him, but everytime I see him, he gives off Eeyore resting sad face vibes but I guess that might just be his serious business fighting face.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 28, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

honestly while i don't like their proposed adjustments to the ozeki rank this was p reasonable for the grumpy old men (and woman).

they're absolutely right that terunofuji needs and deserves time to heal up a bit for the good of both himself and the sport, the current crop of ozeki are woeful, tamawashi and takayasu deserve plaudits for excellent sumo, tobizaru has elevated his game to a new level, and that wakatakakage is a potential yokuzuna if he can make a similar leap.

i'll take that and one dumb half baked solution to the ozeki mess over the dumb poo poo they said when hakuho retired.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

anakha posted:

The best henkas are when they're telegraphed and still work.

I loved that during Ichinojo's debut in makuuchi, he beat both Kisenosato and Kakuryu by doing a matta at the start to give the impression he was full of nervous energy and wanted to charge in, then at the actual tachi-ai, both opponents were expecting a clash and got bamboozled by the henka. Watching both matches, I was saying "I would henka here" after the matta, and was delighted when he did go for it.
The best part of the Kisenosato match is the guy in the grey flatcap absolutely beside himself that Ichinojo would henka.

He's probably on the YDC now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Too many henka and guys will get defensive at the start and/or it will get boring if a bunch of matches end with no actual fighting and the novelty is lost.

Sure but if they're defensively standing up expecting a henka the counter to that is a hard tachiai, so the problem will (and does) resolves itself.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I know I’m never gonna be able to find it in a sea of videos but there was one match where Enho faked a henka to the right as a matta and then just did it to the left on the actual tachiai. It was his best trick and it’s all been downhill since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Sure but if they're defensively standing up expecting a henka the counter to that is a hard tachiai, so the problem will (and does) resolves itself.

Now I'm imagining some poor fool expecting another Takakeisho henka and instead getting caught flat footed and getting launched 5 rows back by a full power hamster ball charge.