Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Van driver pulled into a bus lane illegally near where I live, knocked a cyclist off their bike, reversed over the bike (fortunately not running over the cyclist), then drove off

This is an area where several million dollars worth of driving in bus lane fines were recently waived because the signage "confused" drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i used to be able to hurtle down this street at relativistic speeds, but now if i do that i'll damage my car instead of vaporizing a schoolchild. it's not fair

Yeah, but it is probably only happening because not only is DC is one of the most walkable cities in the US but it has been gentrifying over the years.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

my college had some offices and a couple of classrooms in this type of arrangement. they’re probably very common.

are these even ADA compliant?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

webcams for christ posted:

are these even ADA compliant?

not America so no worries ;)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lobster shirt posted:

they should take your car forever if you get three tickets for speeding in a school zone lol

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, but it is probably only happening because not only is DC is one of the most walkable cities in the US but it has been gentrifying over the years.

A lot of the east of the river neighborhoods in wards 7 and 8, where MN Ave runs, have been largely passed over by gentrification so far though. And many of them were retrofitted to make it easier for MD car commuters to drive into the city, and councilman Trayon White will fight pretty much any street safety project even though he represents the ward with the highest per capita car crash fatalities. He's got a real 'the problems are bad, but the causes... are good' thing going on with traffic deaths. It's hard to say why any given DDOT project gets built, or why other ones languish and then quietly die - including ones in more gentrified areas where there's much louder local demand for safety improvements.

meanwhile, just a few blocks away from MN Ave, nearby Wheeler Road SE came up on a list of the deadliest intersections in the country; it's way too wide and drivers regularly mulch people or each other on it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its so funny how mad people get about traffic calming, like "oh no the road changes make it dangerous to go 15 mph over the speed limit like im used to" which, yes, exactly, slow down stupid!!! god forbid road design make people need to go slow and pay attention to their surroundings.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
all car should be this car

https://twitter.com/fuckedupcars/status/1575109987453399042

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

its so funny how mad people get about traffic calming, like "oh no the road changes make it dangerous to go 15 mph over the speed limit like im used to" which, yes, exactly, slow down stupid!!! god forbid road design make people need to go slow and pay attention to their surroundings.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/why-pittsburgh-is-redesigning-streets-to-help-drivers-slow-down/Content?oid=18303075

quote:

Pittsburgh city officials, particularly the city’s Department of Mobility and Infrastructure, have been very busy the last couple of years working on efforts to make dozens of streets, intersections, and corridors in the city safer for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, and transit users. And those efforts have really sped up as of late with several newly reconfigured stop lights installed, bike lanes added, and traffic-calming devices that all basically share the same goal: slow down drivers.

For a nation obsessed with driving, car culture, and convenience, this may seem counterproductive. Why would slowing down traffic be good? Well, slowing vehicles down means less road deaths, less property damage, and a better environment for small businesses, parks, schools, and other urban amenities. Even shallow observations of cities like Amsterdam, Barcelona, and Paris show how improved city life can be with fewer cars and slower vehicles.

It's cool that we have to explain this, especially when we're discussing a complex of residential streets that are used by traffic as a detour between two 60+mph stroads where children and adults alike regularly get turned into paste.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wow omg i want this

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We have some active traffic calming work underway on a busy in-town street, and the immediate complaint from some drivers was that cyclists never die on that street (wtf) but what do you know, a cyclist just got hit bad there.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We have some active traffic calming work underway on a busy in-town street, and the immediate complaint from some drivers was that cyclists never die on that street (wtf) but what do you know, a cyclist just got hit bad there.

Sounds like the calming didn't work made it worse even we should get rid of it - drivers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lmfao not even "never get hit" but "never die"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we have these stupid uturn lanes under highways in texas, yesterday someone almost crashed into me because they used it to dart across three lanes of traffic to get into a gas station. thankfully for all involved i do not gun my engine and roar through intersections, so i was traveling at a reasonable speed and was able to slow down and avoid a collision. still... very bad. make all driving illegal thanks.

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

we have these stupid uturn lanes under highways in texas, yesterday someone almost crashed into me because they used it to dart across three lanes of traffic to get into a gas station. thankfully for all involved i do not gun my engine and roar through intersections, so i was traveling at a reasonable speed and was able to slow down and avoid a collision. still... very bad. make all driving illegal thanks.

lol that highway diagram looks horrifying

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the correct response to idiots is to ignore them, but unfortunately most people involved in local politics are also idiots (i.e. real estate developers)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lmfao not even "never get hit" but "never die"

Yes, they literally looked up the death statistics. One of my first experiences with this street 15 years ago was a likely-dead scooterer right off a side street. Another argument is that the residents and business owners would hate it, but guess who has been asking for the calming for years? Gee, seems like out of towners are the ones trying to control our streets.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This sort of intersection is nearly every intersection with a Texas highway. And yes, they are perpetually littered with debris from car crashes.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

personally i find using those uturn lanes nerve wracking so i just follow the traffic signals and make two left turns. if its good enough for the rest of the country then hell its fine for me.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

It’s even worse because the left lanes double as freeway entrances/exits so the left lanes are people going at near freeway speeds while people in the right lanes are constantly stopping to turn to enter businesses.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Orcish engineering

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

i don't dislike this. if you're going to have so much space dedicated to parking, at least this reduces the footprint a bit. plus it inconveniences the disabled, and as an advocate for walkable cities I hate the disabled

Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

i don't dislike this. if you're going to have so much space dedicated to parking, at least this reduces the footprint a bit. plus it inconveniences the disabled, and as an advocate for walkable cities I hate the disabled

They reinvented the dingbat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

From a structural engineering perspective, the "tuck-under parking" arrangement may create a soft story if the residential levels are supported on slender columns without many shear walls in the parking level.[4] Soft story buildings can collapse during an earthquake.

on the down side an earthquake will definitely render you homeless and perhaps dead, but on the plus side it will efficiently dispose of as many cars as its footprint will fit, so who can say whether it is good or bad?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

A lot of the east of the river neighborhoods in wards 7 and 8, where MN Ave runs, have been largely passed over by gentrification so far though. And many of them were retrofitted to make it easier for MD car commuters to drive into the city, and councilman Trayon White will fight pretty much any street safety project even though he represents the ward with the highest per capita car crash fatalities. He's got a real 'the problems are bad, but the causes... are good' thing going on with traffic deaths. It's hard to say why any given DDOT project gets built, or why other ones languish and then quietly die - including ones in more gentrified areas where there's much louder local demand for safety improvements.

meanwhile, just a few blocks away from MN Ave, nearby Wheeler Road SE came up on a list of the deadliest intersections in the country; it's way too wide and drivers regularly mulch people or each other on it.

I do think in general there has been a push for more walkable areas across most of central DC, but the difference probably probably much more local than ward politics, but it is literally up to who is going to be losing parking on that exact street.

That said, the NW is generally uneven with a lot of the wealthier neighborhoods being resistant to any real change; they often were already fairly walkable in the first place, it just again no one wants to lose their parking.

Also, there was some proposal to eventually extend the streetcar eastward, it may be some remnant of that.

Edit: It is still being proposed but knowing the DC streetcar it will be finished in 2339. It does explain it though, that neighborhood is being targeted for “population movement.”

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Sep 28, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/GlobalTom/status/1574838554177552384?s=20&t=ciQPMvQvyNgncPAVfMzfbg

Boywhiz88 has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Sep 28, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm gonna guess he wasn't riding his bike on the highway

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it's a suburban neighborhood street, of course it isn't safe. peopple need to drive their gigantic trucks and SUVs 45 mph down those roads!

kingwood fuckin sucks lol, never go there.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
look at those houses lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

little boxes made of ticky-tacky, little boxes all the same

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

no reason it couldn't be a 3-way stop. there's a drat curb slope to imply you're meant to cross there!!!!

insanity. i truly feel insane now that ive started paying attention to cars, traffic, and traffic engineering.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Boywhiz88 posted:

insanity. i truly feel insane now that ive started paying attention to cars, traffic, and traffic engineering.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

i truly feel insane now that ive started paying attention to cars, traffic, and traffic engineering.

once you see it, it's pretty much impossible to un-see it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love being passionate about something completely out of step with society. I love feeling insane and alienated. Maybe I should go for a drive to clear my thoughts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about how much i dont like cars today....

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*neighbor idles their car for thirty minutes every morning underneath my poorly sealed unit flooding my home with exhaust*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

God Hole posted:

*neighbor idles their car for thirty minutes every morning underneath my poorly sealed unit flooding my home with exhaust*

MN winters suck, no doubt. But I’m sorry, my 20yo car that stays in an open parking lot heats up in like… 3 min. You should be properly bundled for the outside regardless if you’re driving… so people who idle for 10 min, even if it’s locked or an auto-ignition, are so loving dumb to me. Just be slightly colder for a few moments!