Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-uss-nimitz-water-contamination/?amp

This has been great. It's been deemed "safe" for washing, showering, and hygiene, but for drinking water you have to go out to water buffalos on the pier or bring your own bottled water. Though right now I'm rolling the dice and drinking a cup of boat coffee. Makes my tongue tingle a little.

I'm sure that if this hadn't leaked out to the media we'd be underway right now being told to suck it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Though right now I'm rolling the dice and drinking a cup of boat coffee. Makes my tongue tingle a little.

And that's different from normal mess deck/wardroom coffee how?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Man, it was years before I could touch ravioli again after having to eat it at every meal for four days.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This has been great. It's been deemed "safe" for washing, showering, and hygiene, but for drinking water you have to go out to water buffalos on the pier or bring your own bottled water. Though right now I'm rolling the dice and drinking a cup of boat coffee. Makes my tongue tingle a little.

I'm sure that if this hadn't leaked out to the media we'd be underway right now being told to suck it up.

I’m not actually joking when I say I could tell by taste if it was JP5 or DFM that went into the water intakes during unrep.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche posted:

Aren't Zebra doors supposed to be open except in cases of setting material condition Zebra/GQ? Zebra doors are doors normally kept open in order to facilitate normal traffic of personnel and materials. I'd be mighty loving pissed if someone dogged all the zebra doors on the main deck and we weren't at GQ.

Your command is loving stupid.

Wibla posted:

Navy posted:

X-ray is set when the ship is in almost no danger of attack or natural hazards. All doors labeled with a black X should remain closed when not in use. Yoke is set at sea, when entering or leaving port, and in port. All doors labeled with a black X or black Y should remain closed when not in use. Material condition Zebra is set during general quarters, ship-wide casualties, when entering and leaving port during wartime, or anytime the ship is in danger against fire, flooding and other damage. All doors labeled with a black X, black Y, or red Z should remain closed. Fittings labeled with a red letter Z enclosed by a black letter D, are classified as Dog Zebra and should remain closed during times of darken ship as well as for material condition Zebra.

There is also a material condition "Modified Zebra" that came into vogue shortly after COLE because we might be attacked at any moment don't ya know?

Basically it's closing a bunch of structural fittings, especially larger hatches, in order to make setting actual Zebra faster in an emergency. The Mod Z list is generally determined by the individual command and can vary from ship to ship.

Now adays it's normal to set Mod Z any time you're underway, or in port at elevated FPCON. Without knowing what ship the OP is talking about it's possible that people are blowing through Mod Z doors and the command has done a lovely job of communicating that to the crew.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn't Mod Z have a different marking? I've been out for way longer than I was in at this point, my memory on this is fuzzy to say the least :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm glad that things like this, living conditions on the Bush, and the Connecticut bed bug incident require sailors leaking information to the media to fix, or "fix".

I guess the moral of the story is have Navy times on speed dial? This poo poo pisses me off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I'm glad that things like this, living conditions on the Bush, and the Connecticut bed bug incident require sailors leaking information to the media to fix, or "fix".

I guess the moral of the story is have Navy times on speed dial? This poo poo pisses me off.

It's very simple.

gently caress The Navy.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wibla posted:

Doesn't Mod Z have a different marking? I've been out for way longer than I was in at this point, my memory on this is fuzzy to say the least :v:

Not officially, to my knowledge, because it's ship designed. It would be smart to implement it and no inspector's going to get mad that there's a dot next to some of the Zebra doors, but it would also require thorough onboarding and maintenance of that knowledge piece--USS WHOEVER does it, but people didn't learn it in basic and even senior personnel from USS SOMEPLACE weren't here when someone came up with that idea, so don't really understand why some doors have some unusual marking and some don't.

I think Zebra markings main deck and below might be a different color, which is separate from a ship's modified zebra, but since most people know to close doors they opened, the problem usually fixes itself even if a couple of people don't know why.

I still try to be charitable in situations like this. Should the whole crew know it? Yeah, sure. Who probably got yelled at to fix it? A first tour who has no context and probably actually still thinks they're supposed to close all the doors or a junior enlisted who has no idea how to run something up the chain to make some other department follow the rules. But even if it's not that, even if the chain of command was utilized and page 13s regarding knowledge of dogging doors was signed after training at both duty section turnover and quarters, you're still stuck with the most dangerous group of people on the ship, the ones that don't go to quarters or khaki call, the ones who stand no duty: SQUADRON* and contractors.

So someone who got yelled at because someone else didn't close a door resorts to a sign. If whoever left that door open did so a few times in a row sees that sign next time, the problem probably goes away, whoever it is, and nobody had to sign a muster sheet.

*SQUADRON does stand duty, but not in port, so duty section training or routine shipboard reminders about stuff they learned years ago.

piL fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 28, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Wibla posted:

It's very simple.

gently caress The Navy.

But then you'll get syphilis and herpes?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wibla posted:

No. It's just Z.

You're probably thinking of Dog Zebra for the darken ship fittings which do have a different marking: a Z in D.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1575281027525713920?s=20&t=UMsdUJ1dMI3NtuSqnjfhDA

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1575284730110431232?s=20&t=UMsdUJ1dMI3NtuSqnjfhDA

Presented without comment

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

orange juche posted:

Is this a serious question? The answer is the US Navy lol.

Supply forgot to order food for the ship? Guess your unrep is fuel and ammo only no dry stores or perishables.

I swear our suppo ordered No Bread for every unrep, because that's what we had at every meal underway: NO BREAD.

You could get jelly packets and no crackers OR peanut butter and crackers, but NEVER peanut butter, crackers, and jelly packets. The jelly was for toast, you see. We had no bread for so long that the toaster element rusted by the time we DID get bread and then went out of service for the rest of the underway. Still weren't allowed jelly for the toast you couldn't make with the bread you didn't have.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I swear our suppo ordered No Bread for every unrep, because that's what we had at every meal underway: NO BREAD.

You could get jelly packets and no crackers OR peanut butter and crackers, but NEVER peanut butter, crackers, and jelly packets. The jelly was for toast, you see. We had no bread for so long that the toaster element rusted by the time we DID get bread and then went out of service for the rest of the underway. Still weren't allowed jelly for the toast you couldn't make with the bread you didn't have.

I would think the suppo would be ordering the materials to make loaves of bread tbh. Flour and yeast keep way the gently caress longer than prepped bread. If the cooks didn't know how to make bread though... lol

I know on board USS lastship we had fresh bread every meal because the cooks would bake a bajillion loaves of bread every night from dough balls prepped during the day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I've always seen fresh made bread on any underway of significant length.

My first boat the bread was always harder than a hockey puck, on the 22 they actually proofed that poo poo and let it rise for the correct amount of time, and man it's a little thing, but having a nice fluffy piece of bread or hamburger bun is a big morale boost.

The meal after we ran into the mountain was bun-less hamburgers because all the buns got flung on the floor, and that was depressing.

The funniest CS related thing I ever saw was the CO getting PISSED that we ran out of butter, and convening a command-level critique about why there was no butter. That critique was henceforth know as I can't believe there's no butter

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I had a cargo ship cook gently caress up a hot dog once, that one stays with you. Like… how? Even if I tried, I couldn’t.

Also had a cook who made BLT soup. She was a bit peculiar, when she asked what you wanted in your burg, you’d better mention the patty or you were getting a lettuce and cheese sandwich.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

what the gently caress? Who would stop you? The CS on duty?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/charlesornstein/status/1575889960690778117?t=9YS5jisZIfj1DAZfakg2Nw&s=19

Not guilty for Sailor accused of the BHR fire

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Ugh my ship is such a loving joke. I come in this morning to find:

On every quick-acting water-tight door on the main deck.

This is where we're at. Something everybody already knows, that some people are just too loving lazy to do, and instead of just having the LPOs or whomever put it out at quarters, we hang signs like we're in loving kindergarten. So loving stupid.

Thats a really nice door. Im amazed the powers that be haven’t plastered 57 coats of wavy uneven paint over that beautiful powder coat.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Whatever faults our UCMJ system may have, you are in good hands as junior enlisted going to a bench trial. The prosecution had no loving case, but you don’t need a unanimous military panel, and that’s easy to get with the idiots you get in the military. Judges? Not so much.

I know this isn’t universal, but it’s a pretty common thread.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Whatever faults our UCMJ system may have, you are in good hands as junior enlisted going to a bench trial. The prosecution had no loving case, but you don’t need a unanimous military panel, and that’s easy to get with the idiots you get in the military. Judges? Not so much.

Yeah my JAGs straight up told me they really have no case and going Judge only was the way to go but a panel of chiefs and officers usually have the mindset of, "if they're accused they're guilty". Thank god I actually listen to good advice.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It doesn't apply to serious crimes like this, but did you know that in the Navy, you don't get to request court martial in lieu of NJP if you're on a ship?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

It doesn't apply to serious crimes like this, but did you know that in the Navy, you don't get to request court martial in lieu of NJP if you're on a ship?

Yea. It’s incredibly hosed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Yea. It’s incredibly hosed.

I remember being in a school explaining that, "Yes, technically that's true but nobody ever actually does it," and then having all the people with normal careers turn to me and tell me stories :(

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just a reminder for anyone who ever feels nostalgia about things

FTN

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You think he'll stay in?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
lmao 100% some broke brain is going to give him a talk about not judging the Navy based on this experience and to make PO and do a shore duty first

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Now does the Navy owe him for damages is the question, since they've basically killed his career and he's been sitting in the brig instead of getting promoted etc.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

orange juche posted:

Now does the Navy owe him for damages is the question, since they've basically killed his career and he's been sitting in the brig instead of getting promoted etc.

Hahahahah oh poo poo that's a good one you have good jokes

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

orange juche posted:

Do you mean in a moral sense?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Hahahahah oh poo poo that's a good one you have good jokes

Yeah I mean no they won't pay him poo poo, especially since the navy is pissed at him for him beating their charges. His best bet is to gently caress off away from the navy and never look back.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Yeah I mean no they won't pay him poo poo, especially since the navy is pissed at him for him beating their charges. His best bet is to gently caress off away from the navy and never look back.

My CMC said after I got back to my command after beating my charges that he would follow my transfers everywhere and make sure my every new command knew about me, even after he's retired. He was still somehow surprised when I told him I was getting out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Anita Dickinme posted:

My CMC said after I got back to my command after beating my charges that he would follow my transfers everywhere and make sure my every new command knew about me, even after he's retired. He was still somehow surprised when I told him I was getting out.

orange juche posted:

ded posted:

just a reminder for anyone who ever feels nostalgia about things

FTN

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anita Dickinme posted:

That’s the lamest thing I’ve ever heard. What a douche.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

orange juche posted:

He should pay the Navy back for all the sea pay he's been collecting while non-deployable

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cerekk posted:

He should pay the Navy back for all the sea pay he's been collecting while non-deployable

That makes me wonder, was he TAD to the Brig or PCSed?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Crab Dad posted:

That’s the lamest thing I’ve ever heard. What a douche.

this kind of behavior is the norm from Chiefs in the Real Navy, a place you should hope to never go to

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

After I got handed a suspended bust at prototype all the master chiefs has a conversation right in front of me about if they new anyone at my first ship they could "warn" about me.

The military "justice" system is a joke.

E: FTN

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

this kind of behavior is the norm from Chiefs in the Real Navy, a place you should hope to never go to

Sounds awful don’t think I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

He was still somehow surprised when I told him I was getting out.

It's absolutely amazing how many EDMCs/COBs/CMCs just don't understand how anyone could want to get out. They're even more out of touch with what the real navy is like than Crab Dad.