Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you have a bunch of mystic forgestones sitting around (and what else are you going to use them on?) I would hold off on the silver-fed until you are completely dry on mystic forge stones, it's also purely karma to make them from some living story vendors compared to spending 2g 50s for every stack of 250 rares you salvage.

I make a lot of those kits and also took my magic find from halfway full to maxed out by using them to salvage ecto's and I still got over 250 mystic forgestones sitting in my bank.

I use mystic forge stones on provisioner tokens :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I just make a mystic kit whenever the mystic forger daily comes up and I've never run out of kits

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

, it's also purely karma to make them from some living story vendors compared to spending 2g 50s for every stack of 250 rares you salvage.

Oh which vendors are these?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scientist_Vratt#vendor9 eg.

You still need the stones from cheevos or the gem store/luck with login rewards.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_karma_merchant_items/Salvage_Kits

quite a few, but youll have to jump around a bit

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Oh which vendors are these?

Almost every living story section has one, but I find the fastest is doing the Melandru shrine in New-Orr, a quick warp to the shrine, kill like 4 undead and purify the corpses all at once and done, then I buy enough kits for 10 more 250 use salvage kits and don't need to come back for long time.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

fresh 80 on EU Underworld, what do?

Think I am going after the variety of mounts offered by the /whatever/ expansion. Any other suggestions?

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 28, 2022

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mr. Pickles posted:

fresh 80 on EU Underworld, what do?

Think I am going after the variety of mounts offered by the /whatever/ expansion. Any other suggestions?

Mounts are good. Getting your elite specs unlocked is also something to do - they really change up how some classes play. The PoF and EoD hero challenges are mostly soloable, the HoT ones you might need a few friends/a train to tackle.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Actuarial Fables posted:

Mounts are good. Getting your elite specs unlocked is also something to do - they really change up how some classes play. The PoF and EoD hero challenges are mostly soloable, the HoT ones you might need a few friends/a train to tackle.

I think the leet specs are unlocked, all I gotta do is dump Heropoints in them. I am a guardian, and not sure which one to pick.

I was thinking Dragonhunter, because having a proper ranged option I think will be good for PvP. I recall using a shotgun all the time on my warrior back in the day in wvw battles.

Then again, the internet is buzzing about willbender being cool and new, and good.

I am playing paired up with an elementalist, so group gated content is kinda easier to tackle

:shrug:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
You'll be able to fully unlock all three of the elite specs, as there's more than enough hero points in the world. Dragonhunter is pretty good if you like smashing your face into the enemy, Firebrand is good if you're a nerd that likes books (and likes having a bunch of support options always available), and willbender is also good if you like smashing your face into the enemy, but with style.

If you're playing with friends, they may appreciate the shared boons (quickness, might) and utility (reflect bubbles, mass condition cleanse) that a Firebrand can put out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Path of Fire has all the mounts and the living story 4 extension has the beetle and skyscale which are both great but behind long collections, the raptor and springer and skimmer masteries will cover 90% of the movement options you'd want for travelling most maps, though eventually you'll want beetle for zoomzoom, skyscale for vertical convenience and griffon for races and sky zoomzooms (though griffon is behind a 250g wall).

Dragonhunter is good for pvp and wvw or bursting low health stuff in pve with every trap at once, Firebrand is tippy top tier quickness support heals or quickness dps and wvw buffs

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

It's like, a 10% nerf on mechanist in general. It'll be perfectly fine and still completely kick rear end post nerf.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even post-nerf rifle dps mech will far exceed the amount of dps you need for even the hardest content in the game, all without pressing buttons except when white bars show up, at which point you got a lot of CC at your disposal.

You'll just be able to squeeze out higher dps with high effort on a higher amount of classes rather then power mech being in the top contenders.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I used to hate running around HoT zones because it was dangerous and I died a lot. Then I grabbed some gear with +toughness (no +vit, warrior has enough) and it is a lot, lot better.

I think HoT came about at a time when everyone was running berserkers gear only and told to git gud so it was extra dangerous (and they also nerfed some stuff since then).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i got surprised early on there with how hard the vines hit in melee but after starting to dodge that more often i havent had too many problems

it's definitely the point where you want some form of sustain in your build though

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've got a bigger appreciation for HoT now than I did my first time through. My guardian dying so much when I first went there (and LWS2) to do the story is why I completely ditched that class for warrior then revenant then necro, seeking a more survivable character. I'm just now getting back to that character years later and am doing much better with more experience. I did a bunch of HoT events throughout the last two nights and it went much better knowing what to prioritize and watch out for.

It also helps that a lot of HoT is trivialized with mounts. I went back and finished the map exploration last night. I feel bad for the number of gliding jump puzzles I skipped over. Even in the maze of Tangled Depths skyscale lets you zip along over the heads of the chak and mushrooms that swarmed me my first time there making it a lot more painless.

Working towards getting Ydalir the dragonhunter long bow, just a few mastery levels to go. I also got a herald ascended shield collection update from a boss kill which makes me want to go and unlock all the other elite spec collections to have active. I think some of the newer ones are "do X on the proper class" but it looks like a lot of it is open to whatever you are playing which is nice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doing the story from the very beginning as a Sylvari makes you realize that

a) Sylvari are, clearly, the correct race to play for story reasons especially as you get into HoT
b) the story is actually pretty loving good, especially if you know GW's background lore like how the humans are aliens along with the whole history of Orr. The dragons really slot in well with the established lore-- like, really really well
c) everyone made a way, way bigger of a deal about Trahearne

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm giving up on ever getting an ascended weapon drop, much less the type I may need. How horrifically expensive is it going to be to level crafting to start making these things?

EDIT: Nevermind! Just discovered https://gw2crafts.net/, they even have an API filler to select from your bank.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 28, 2022

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

https://gw2crafts.net/

Honestly not that bad.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s not too bad especially if you have a decent amount of mats in storage and use crafting XP boosts from your guild and consumables.

Like 20-30g, I think? And that’s without selling/salvaging/researching the results

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Ascended weapons only really reliably drop from raids, unfortunately. I'd recommend you go for a collection weapon if you can instead of crafting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got an ascended great sword from Tequatl

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ascended gear is funny because it's a hassle to start but once you get momentum, you'll be rolling in pinks ;)

I HIIIIIIGHLY suggest everyone get some crafting up to 500 and do daily recipes. Even if you're a long way away from making the actual pieces, you'll thank yourself for planning ahead.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Inzombiac posted:

Ascended gear is funny because it's a hassle to start but once you get momentum, you'll be rolling in pinks ;)

Yeah pretty much. I counted and I am at 144 weapons currently, several sets of armor and nearly 100 trinkets.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want legendary armor so I don’t have to manage gear/equipment anymore.

Ideally pve builds are the exact same as pvp builds: just pick your stat distributions, sigils, runes, and weapon types and then off you go.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It would be nice to have a game like this where stat combos is what you unlock, not new gear pieces.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inzombiac posted:

It would be nice to have a game like this where stat combos is what you unlock, not new gear pieces.

And yet here I am buying another set of berserker's gear for a fresh 80, created solely so I can play with different fashion options than the other identically-geared character of the same class.

Speaking of fashion, what are people doing nowadays to gather a shitload of transmutation shards? Still 100%ing the capital cities, and SPVP?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Inzombiac posted:

All that gold everyone's hoarding has to have some kind of sink

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

sPvP gives tons of transmutation charges, if you can stomach it.

Early map completion is pretty easy once you get a routine going but it's pretty mind numbing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

jokes posted:

And yet here I am buying another set of berserker's gear for a fresh 80, created solely so I can play with different fashion options than the other identically-geared character of the same class.

Speaking of fashion, what are people doing nowadays to gather a shitload of transmutation shards? Still 100%ing the capital cities, and SPVP?

I feel like just farting around WvW I get a fair # of skirmish chests which can be redeemed for transmutation charges.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I have like 3 frostsaws and at least 4 ascended maces(I use one of them)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

I have like 3 frostsaws and at least 4 ascended maces(I use one of them)
PS: gently caress you, my best Dragonstorm drop is a rare norn weapon.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Legendary items don't need transmutes at least.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
*does WvW to earn Gifts of Battle for legendaries so I won’t need to spend transmutation charges

*earns more transmutation charges in WvW than I can use*

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah just casually participation/wxp roaming in wvw (thanks birthday boosters) has basically permanently solved my transmutation charge and alt hero point problems.

Also gotten a few ascended gear coffers from reward tracks, which is handy for jumping into t3 fractals without yet having living world seasons purchased or touching raids.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Since I got onto tier 2 fractals last week, I've got ascended rings falling out my rear end. What do I do with them aside from wearing?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’m riddled with indecision about what profession to play. What should I play assuming I likely don’t have the attention span to make alts and want to get an experience that’s fun, frictionless, and showcases unique stuff GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs? Short time from start to “fun” and variety of play styles a plus.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

El Fideo posted:

Since I got onto tier 2 fractals last week, I've got ascended rings falling out my rear end. What do I do with them aside from wearing?

You can use ascended salvaging kits on them for a chance at a ball of dark matter, which is a necessary ingredient for gen 2 legendaries

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mode 7 posted:

I’m riddled with indecision about what profession to play. What should I play assuming I likely don’t have the attention span to make alts and want to get an experience that’s fun, frictionless, and showcases unique stuff GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs? Short time from start to “fun” and variety of play styles a plus.

Engi in endgame is the best for this. But assuming you want to enjoy leveling and the time before you unlock all the elite specs, play guardian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Guardian will give you the most versatility in endgame. It can do power dps, condition dps, and heal. It’s closer to a dnd cleric than Paladin imo .