Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Saukkis posted:

I've been wondering if a high power inverter would be more practical alternative to a generator. A generator is big and requires quite a bit of maintenance if you want to rely on it working when you need it once a year or every other year. A car is in constant use and can be expected to work.

Running a car just to produce electricity would be inefficient, but for rare needs it wouldn't be a too big an expense.

I looked into this general idea a while back (as an actual way to build a cheap UPS for a server rack) and I think you'd want to get AGM marine deep cycle batteries, Renogy seems to be the cheapest for a big RV/marine battery. I think there was some relatively common commercial controllers that could do the relay switching (or maybe that's the bad kind, idk). AGM chemistry is sealed (no offgassing, any orientation) and way more tolerant to basically everything. vibration or physical motion, wider temperature operating ranges, they crank harder and self-discharge less and recharge quicker less than traditional chemistries. And of course you want deep cycle because taking a normal battery down too low hurts it.

I'm sure I've seen some blog type things about it, again, dunno how safe all of them are. But I wouldn't even bother with lithium ion or lipo cells at all, way too expensive per amp-hour I'd think, and AGM is just more tolerant.

Of course you've also got the potential insurance liability if something goes wrong...

But yeah that's not going to be a long-term solution. If you want practical long-term power at home, get a natgas/propane standby generator with an automatic transfer panel. You may still need some additional power filtering... a lot of generators have harmonic output that's intense enough to cause problems for a lot of electronics, including most of the little portable cart ones. I'd say a proper $5k standby generator probably has a better chance to do it properly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AGM is poo poo for any sort of deep cycling, get lifepo4. AGM cycled more than 50% DoD will last maybe 500 cycles, lifepo4 cycled 80% DoD will last 5000+.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can someone explain what the deal is with rackmount *lengths* is in a practical sense? Is there a standard depth for racks? (possibly 31"?) It sounds like there is also a short depth standard (24"?) for network gear and audio and some other similar stuff. And it sounds like on the long end it goes up to 36", but I assume that extra long might cause problems for some colos and some racks?

Can you put an over-long server into a rack (especially near the bottom)? It'll pop out the back a long way, ofc. Can you put a short server into a full-size rack, or does it depend on the rail kit, or what?

I will keep an eye open for things popping up locally (tbh I don't think I have the cooling to let noise damped work very well, so it'll probably just be a standard rack too) but otoh is there anything wrong with a basic 4-post unit from raising? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154760929653
There's no standard for depth. Network equipment is generally shallow, servers are super deep.

Generally 4 post you can use rails and let the server stick out the back. Unless the whole thing is enclosed.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Saukkis posted:

That certainly applies for the large static generators, I was mostly thinking the small two-stroke gasoline generators meant for home use. Does anyone bother to run them even monthly.

Ah, sorry misunderstood.

I have a trifuel generator and a power inlet that goes to a switchable sub panel for my house. I pull it out every 3 to 6 months and let it run for 30 minutes. Most people probably don't do that much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can someone explain what the deal is with rackmount *lengths* is in a practical sense? Is there a standard depth for racks? (possibly 31"?) It sounds like there is also a short depth standard (24"?) for network gear and audio and some other similar stuff. And it sounds like on the long end it goes up to 36", but I assume that extra long might cause problems for some colos and some racks?

Can you put an over-long server into a rack (especially near the bottom)? It'll pop out the back a long way, ofc. Can you put a short server into a full-size rack, or does it depend on the rail kit, or what?

I will keep an eye open for things popping up locally (tbh I don't think I have the cooling to let noise damped work very well, so it'll probably just be a standard rack too) but otoh is there anything wrong with a basic 4-post unit from raising? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154760929653

This is also bleeding heavily into "real datacenter" and not "home" but no, there's no standards about rack dimensions for anything other than the 19" mounting width and the 1.75" height of a single U. Even within the category of "a fully enclosed cabinet around a four-post rack", exterior widths vary from 24" (most common) to 30-32", and depths vary from 36" to 48-50". In a decently-made rack, the vertical rails are adjustable so that they can be moved within the rack front to back, but that just accounts for variations in how server rails and switch mounts fit. If you've got an exceptionally deep server and a shitload of cabling, you'll need an extra-wide and/or extra-deep cabinet so that you can do things like removing a hot-swap PSU without either unracking the server or stripping the PDUs and cabling from the rack.

Of course, if you aren't worried about physical security, then you can just leave the back door off and let poo poo hang.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Ah, sorry misunderstood.

I have a trifuel generator and a power inlet that goes to a switchable sub panel for my house. I pull it out every 3 to 6 months and let it run for 30 minutes. Most people probably don't do that much.

That's the smart way to do things. In your shoes, if you actually plan on using the tri-fuel capability in an emergency, I'd also test switching it between fuels while you cycle it. I assume that this would also make it easier for you to run the carb dry of gasoline before storage.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Saukkis posted:

I've been wondering if a high power inverter would be more practical alternative to a generator. A generator is big and requires quite a bit of maintenance if you want to rely on it working when you need it once a year or every other year. A car is in constant use and can be expected to work.

Running a car just to produce electricity would be inefficient, but for rare needs it wouldn't be a too big an expense.
Ford actually offers this on the electrified variants of the F-150. Both the hybrid and the EV offer an optional 7.2kW 120/240v inverter that has two 20A outlets on each leg and a twist-lock 30A 240v across the pair. The hybrid will start and stop the gas motor as required to recharge the battery, the EV just throws capacity at the problem.

The EV also has a separate 2.4kW 120v inverter and a special mode where the output of both is combined in to 9.6kW of backup power available via a special bidirectional home charger.

The hybrids with the big inverter were just hitting the market when the Texas power grid thing happened and Ford got a lot of good press out of asking dealers to deploy their demo units as mobile generators.

It's a good idea in a hybrid or EV where you already have a big electrical system. In a gas model with just a 12v system it's a lot harder. I expect to see more of this in the future, I'd be shocked if at least the other truck vendors don't follow suit.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Klyith posted:

The only people who will use this are crypto enthusiasts and people too cheap for normal cloud backup.

that's the thing, it's honestly more expensive especially when you account for all the scams and having each crypto site trying to get as much capital out of your transaction as possible for the past 10 years. Maybe once gas and fees are a thing of the past (lol, ya rite) will you be able to do this actually cheaper but for now, I 1000% assure you it's not cheaper. Years back I actually tried using STORJ and ended up getting so pissed off I vowed never to use it again, you see the app didn't keep track of contracts, so you'd buy some storage, upload some files and if you nuked your machine and didn't have a backup that storage was now 'gone'. I don't know if they ever fixed that bug but yeah, it was enough to make it not worth it for me.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

A Bag of Milk posted:

QNAP TS-453D or Synology 920+ are both great but might be a little overkill for you. I'd also check out Synology DS418 and QNAP TS-431k.

They're all gonna be faster than something from 2015, but it probably won't be night and day.

At these prices should I just build a TrueNAS box?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Reasier posted:

Depends on what you want to spend your money on. The Synology and QNAP price premium comes from the simplicity and minimal time investment. And imo it's perfectly reasonable to go that route especially if your use-case is pretty straightforward. We all have other stuff to do... In comparison TrueNAS is a lot more robust, but you'll be doing research on parts, assembling the hardware, learning a new OS, etc. But if none of that intimidates you or perhaps even intrigues you, TrueNAS is the gold standard at what it does. You'd get a better bang for your buck in terms of hardware too of course.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Kind of a combo NAS/Plex/home networking question - I initially had my Synology NAS on a VLAN that can't see the internet, and just used it within my house. Then I started backing up to iDrive , and used the IP addresses that iDrive handily provides to poke holes in my firewall (USG) to allow that connection.

Now I have Plex, and that kind of doesn't work without seeing the internet. I'm still only using it at home (at the moment), but I like the metadata and everything. But it's less obvious how to poke holes for Plex.

Is there a better way to do this? Do I need to be doing this at all? What's the best practice here?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bobstar posted:

Kind of a combo NAS/Plex/home networking question - I initially had my Synology NAS on a VLAN that can't see the internet, and just used it within my house. Then I started backing up to iDrive , and used the IP addresses that iDrive handily provides to poke holes in my firewall (USG) to allow that connection.

Now I have Plex, and that kind of doesn't work without seeing the internet. I'm still only using it at home (at the moment), but I like the metadata and everything. But it's less obvious how to poke holes for Plex.

Is there a better way to do this? Do I need to be doing this at all? What's the best practice here?

Setting up a Reverse Proxy is the first thing that comes to mind. Basically, set up a domain, either by buying one or using https://duckdns.org to create one for free, have subdomains for whatever service you need, like plex.mydomain.com and idrive.webdomain.com. Then for those services, instead of pointing them at your public IP you point them to those webdomains so all their traffic comes to your network over port 80/443. Then you have a tool like Nginx Proxy Manager route that traffic to the appropriate location/port inside your network based on what subdomain it came from. It can even handle creating SSL certs via LetsEncrypt right in the GUI, or you can generate a wildcard cert from Cloudflare and use that, no messing around in config files. The only firewall stuff you have to do is point ports 80/443 to your proxy.

Getting this set up for me was a godsend, no more messing with port-forwarding on the router and sending them an IP address whenever my friends want me to spin up a Minecraft server, now it's just "create minecraft.scruffmcgruff.com in Cloudflare, create a corresponding endpoint in NPM, send traffic to the appropriate container IP:Port" and then tell them to just put in minecraft.scruffmcgruff.com.

Ibracorp has a good guide on YouTube on how to set this up. It's for Unraid/Docker but the config of the domain stuff and NPM are the same regardless of how you implement it.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 23, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Does plex run as a container on Synology? If so, you can give its own IP you can use for an outbound rule based on source.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Reasier posted:

If you can build a TrueNAS server for under $300 because you have spare parts around, and the space for a PC case instead of a little NAS box, sure.

Bobstar posted:

If you have a real firewall on your internet connection, does the NAS box really need to be on a vlan that's blocked from the internet? Outside connections are already blocked, and a synology isn't like some mystery IoT device that's probably got a default password baked in or something.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dear goons : I kinda feel bad about making this post without educating myself better first, but I've been dragging on this for way too long.

I need to come up with some kind of storage solution that isn't just stuffing tons of disks inside one of my PCs. To me, features beyond being reasonably fast storage for my PC, good enough to play some decent bitrate 4k/60 video so I can be sure of what clips I'm picking before I copy them to SSD to edit. I don't NEED features beyond just "usable attached storage", but I also am open to the idea of other features. Having something that I could use to stream audio to my phone would be kinda cool, but it's not worth THAT much money up front or in power consumption to me. I've done some looking at various options but I'm not sure where to start. In terms of capacity, I only need something along the lines of low double digit TB at the moment, I'm not generating THAT much stuff, but I want the ability to do hobby-level stuff for the next few years, hopefully without wasting money on stuff I don't need. It's really a minor hobby project so I've had a hard time justifying spending money on it, but at this point I've determined that I really should just do it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Scruff McGruff posted:

Setting up a Reverse Proxy is the first thing that comes to mind. Basically, set up a domain, either by buying one or using https://duckdns.org to create one for free, have subdomains for whatever service you need, like plex.mydomain.com and idrive.webdomain.com. Then for those services, instead of pointing them at your public IP you point them to those webdomains so all their traffic comes to your network over port 80/443. Then you have a tool like Nginx Proxy Manager route that traffic to the appropriate location/port inside your network based on what subdomain it came from. It can even handle creating SSL certs via LetsEncrypt right in the GUI, or you can generate a wildcard cert from Cloudflare and use that, no messing around in config files. The only firewall stuff you have to do is point ports 80/443 to your proxy.

Getting this set up for me was a godsend, no more messing with port-forwarding on the router and sending them an IP address whenever my friends want me to spin up a Minecraft server, now it's just "create minecraft.scruffmcgruff.com in Cloudflare, create a corresponding endpoint in NPM, send traffic to the appropriate container IP:Port" and then tell them to just put in minecraft.scruffmcgruff.com.

Ibracorp has a good guide on YouTube on how to set this up. It's for Unraid/Docker but the config of the domain stuff and NPM are the same regardless of how you implement it.

I do something like that, but instead of pointing the domain at my public IP, I use my local one (192.168....) and VPN home using Wireguard (running on my router).
Now I still get easy to remember domain names, but only I can access them and the only thing exposed to the internet is the Wireguard endpoint.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

Dear goons : I kinda feel bad about making this post without educating myself better first, but I've been dragging on this for way too long.

I need to come up with some kind of storage solution that isn't just stuffing tons of disks inside one of my PCs. To me, features beyond being reasonably fast storage for my PC, good enough to play some decent bitrate 4k/60 video so I can be sure of what clips I'm picking before I copy them to SSD to edit. I don't NEED features beyond just "usable attached storage", but I also am open to the idea of other features. Having something that I could use to stream audio to my phone would be kinda cool, but it's not worth THAT much money up front or in power consumption to me. I've done some looking at various options but I'm not sure where to start. In terms of capacity, I only need something along the lines of low double digit TB at the moment, I'm not generating THAT much stuff, but I want the ability to do hobby-level stuff for the next few years, hopefully without wasting money on stuff I don't need. It's really a minor hobby project so I've had a hard time justifying spending money on it, but at this point I've determined that I really should just do it.

In terms of performance, an inexpensive 2 or 4 bay NAS box sounds like it'd do fine for you. Direct video playback is always fine; even the cheap boxes with ARM CPUs are perfectly good for that. They may be wimpy but they're faster than the HDDs.

When people complain about their NAS box being slow with media, it's usually in regards to Plex, which comes to two things:
1. transcoding
2. the Plex webserver itself is pretty heavy, so a weedy CPU and 2gb ram isn't great for them

So if your use for video is going to be playing directly from the NAS with a player or editor, you can probably ignore Plex. Synology has a plugin for a basic but competent audio app that can do the phone music streaming.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tamba posted:

I do something like that, but instead of pointing the domain at my public IP, I use my local one (192.168....) and VPN home using Wireguard (running on my router).
Now I still get easy to remember domain names, but only I can access them and the only thing exposed to the internet is the Wireguard endpoint.

You do still kinda run a reverse proxy inside your network too so that you're resolving stuff as HTTPS, otherwise someone connected to your wifi (like a visitor or a compromised device that you've added to your network) could just watch all the packets going back and forth with those unencrypted connections.

It not nearly as huge a risk as leaving stuff exposed to the internet at large of course, but is still best practices.

I've not personally done it yet myself, though I'm planning on spinning up a pi-hole instance sometime over this next month to use as an internal DNS resolver so I can use wildcard certs to encrypt all my connections internally.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You do still kinda run a reverse proxy inside your network too so that you're resolving stuff as HTTPS, otherwise someone connected to your wifi (like a visitor or a compromised device that you've added to your network) could just watch all the packets going back and forth with those unencrypted connections.

It not nearly as huge a risk as leaving stuff exposed to the internet at large of course, but is still best practices.

I've not personally done it yet myself, though I'm planning on spinning up a pi-hole instance sometime over this next month to use as an internal DNS resolver so I can use wildcard certs to encrypt all my connections internally.

Yeah, I do use NPM as a reverse proxy with letsencrypt HTTPS certificates..

Tamba fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 24, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks for the advice!

I don't think Plex is a container, I don't think my cheapo "j" box does those. Didn't realise I could even install Plex, until I did it manually.

I will learn more about reverse proxies - my home network/automation is half solid day-to-day solution and half learning experience anyway. But I think Klyith does have a point, I only isolated it because I could, but it's more trustworthy computer than scary mystery box.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Nitrousoxide posted:

Someone connected to your Wi-Fi is not going to be able to sniff packets going back and forth between a wired client and the Internet unless they use that access to compromise something else (like your router) or something really strange is going on. Even a wired client is not going to see other wired clients' unicast traffic unless it's somehow in the transit path. (e: ...or doing something questionable like ARP spoofing. Even ARP spoofing is hard though if the network is a simple star topology with the gateway being the center.)

The reverse proxy is still a good idea, but I think it's more about making it harder to figure out what's going on in your network from external observation and putting an application which has been specifically secured for public use as your Internet-facing interface.

vvv e: Also yeah, if you have malicious actors connecting to your Wi-Fi and it's not a locked down guest network that can only reach the Internet then you're pretty well hosed already.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 24, 2022

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Maybe their network is wired entirely with 10baseT passive hubs like it's 1994.

Honestly though, if your home network is compromised to that degree you have far bigger problems than someone sniffing unencrypted connections to local services - like the necessary ARP spoofing being used to MITM all your network traffic, including much higher value targets than a plex server.

corgski fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 24, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Eletriarnation posted:

Someone connected to your Wi-Fi is not going to be able to sniff packets going back and forth between a wired client and the Internet unless they use that access to compromise something else (like your router) or something really strange is going on. Even a wired client is not going to see other wired clients' unicast traffic unless it's somehow in the transit path. (e: ...or doing something questionable like ARP spoofing. Even ARP spoofing is hard though if the network is a simple star topology with the gateway being the center.)

The reverse proxy is still a good idea, but I think it's more about making it harder to figure out what's going on in your network from external observation and putting an application which has been specifically secured for public use as your Internet-facing interface.

vvv e: Also yeah, if you have malicious actors connecting to your Wi-Fi and it's not a locked down guest network that can only reach the Internet then you're pretty well hosed already.

I personally do a majority of my network admin from a wifi connected device so a malicious actor could see all that stuff in the clear (including transmitting passwords for my internal non-https protected services).

Now I of course use a password manager so all those passwords are unique for each service so compromising one just means they've compromised it and it only, but still.

As the other poster said, if you have bad actors on your network than you clearly have bigger issues at hand than someone watching which anime you're adding to sonarr to grab, but still it's all about defense in depth and making it more difficult than it's seems to be worth for a casual snooper.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since we're talking networking poo poo. Is there an active project of a transparent adblocking proxy? Something that reprocesses the HTML files themselves, or is that useless, with what everything being dynamic these days?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

What you're asking for is a non malicious man in the middle attack?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Nitrousoxide posted:

I personally do a majority of my network admin from a wifi connected device so a malicious actor could see all that stuff in the clear (including transmitting passwords for my internal non-https protected services).

Is your Wi-Fi unsecured, though? Secured Wi-Fi networks, even ones with pre-shared keys, encrypt traffic with unique keys for each client so even if someone has a wireless sniffer all they see is encrypted traffic.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I figure that if you're the kind of person that is willing to tear into the software of a system to mess with containerization parameters you're already going beyond the value proposition of a prebuilt NAS besides having a single appliance to have warranty / RMA claims against.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since we're talking networking poo poo. Is there an active project of a transparent adblocking proxy? Something that reprocesses the HTML files themselves, or is that useless, with what everything being dynamic these days?
For adblocking purposes it's not as extensive as the IDS systems out there for commercial purposes but part of the problem too is that a MITM style proxy for sites like Youtube needs to be changed fairly frequently because the JS also evolves fairly quickly as well to get past the less sophisticated adblocking systems such as PiHole. Youtube's ads system is much more sophisticated on the frontend than most folks are willing to spend time to do freely (like seriously, Protobuf / gRPC hacking to block ads? Christ). This guy is using Squid with MITMProxy on pfSense to block Youtube ads on Apple devices specifically https://ericdraken.com/pfsense-decrypt-ad-traffic/. And it's totally something I'm willing to do anyway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Eletriarnation posted:

Is your Wi-Fi unsecured, though? Secured Wi-Fi networks, even ones with pre-shared keys, encrypt traffic with unique keys for each client so even if someone has a wireless sniffer all they see is encrypted traffic.
WPA3 even adds a new mode called Enhanced Open or Opportunistic Wireless Encryption that allows clients to establish encrypted communication with unique keys even on an open network, so even your local coffee shop network will become at least as secure against random other users sniffing your traffic as a closed network.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CopperHound posted:

Yeah I guess so.

necrobobsledder posted:

For adblocking purposes it's not as extensive as the IDS systems out there for commercial purposes but part of the problem too is that a MITM style proxy for sites like Youtube needs to be changed fairly frequently because the JS also evolves fairly quickly as well to get past the less sophisticated adblocking systems such as PiHole.
I figure there's gonna be Youtube specific adblocking extensions. I'm more looking at a general solution that maximizes adblocking in Chromium based browsers, for when Manifest V3 comes along.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I figure there's gonna be Youtube specific adblocking extensions. I'm more looking at a general solution that maximizes adblocking in Chromium based browsers, for when Manifest V3 comes along.

Several of the chromium-based alternatives are going to keep manifest V2 / webrequest active. So just don't use real Chrome / Edge.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CopperHound posted:

In my day we called them Proxy servers...

Squid has/had a varation 'SafeSquid' that could be used for that. Not sure if it's still maintained though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hughlander posted:

In my day we called them Proxy servers...
In practice how does this work out with https? Do we have certificate warnings for every site?

E: okay I just googled enough to learn of trusted certificates with ssl proxies.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

You protect those services with a password? Hell no, downloads, sonarr/radarr/whatever-arr are just happily accepting requests on my internal network without questioning muh autoritah.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

CopperHound posted:

In practice how does this work out with https? Do we have certificate warnings for every site?

E: okay I just googled enough to learn of trusted certificates with ssl proxies.

Yeah I have a modified version of squid that downgrades TLS to SSL3 (and strips javascript, plus a few other things) specifically for my obsolete computers, you just install the root certificate on whatever computer and the proxy creates certificates for each https domain you access on the fly.

It's even easier if you don't need to downgrade TLS but just need to MITM and filter it. https://mitmproxy.org/ is an example.

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 25, 2022

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I assume most people in here are using 3.5" drives, but does anyone know if there is a good 2.5" form factor disk shelf/enclosure that can take SATA 6g disks? I've got a bunch of shucked 2.5s and it would be nice to have the ability to get goofy with them. Mainly worried about compatibility and/or vendor locking BS since most of the secondhand 2.5 gear I've seen is branded SAN gear. Don't know how much tomfoolery they put into the shelves versus the controllers for things like restricting features or compatible disk models, sata support, etc.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You'll want a disk shelf with a SAS connector and a SAS HBA with external ports, as SAS is compatible with SATA.
The used market should have plenty of 2.5" disk shelves in 2U rack size.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NetApp DS2246 should do the trick. You'll either want to swap the controllers (which are basically just SAS expanders) out for generic Xyratex ones, or get a custom SFP-to-SAS cable. The NetApp controller still speaks SAS, it just does so over a SFP connector instead of a SAS one.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Thanks for the tips, time to go fishing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Klyith posted:

In terms of performance, an inexpensive 2 or 4 bay NAS box sounds like it'd do fine for you. Direct video playback is always fine; even the cheap boxes with ARM CPUs are perfectly good for that. They may be wimpy but they're faster than the HDDs.

When people complain about their NAS box being slow with media, it's usually in regards to Plex, which comes to two things:
1. transcoding
2. the Plex webserver itself is pretty heavy, so a weedy CPU and 2gb ram isn't great for them

So if your use for video is going to be playing directly from the NAS with a player or editor, you can probably ignore Plex. Synology has a plugin for a basic but competent audio app that can do the phone music streaming.

Thanks for the info. Taking what you said here into account and poking around, it seems like maybe 16tb drives are the value sweet spot right now? And in that case, a 4 bay NAS would likely satisfy my storage needs for quite a while. With that in mind, how long would I expect the usable lifespan to be on something like a Synology DS418? Obvious you can't predict the future, but what have peoples experiences been like and how do you look at that going forward?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

K8.0 posted:

Thanks for the info. Taking what you said here into account and poking around, it seems like maybe 16tb drives are the value sweet spot right now? And in that case, a 4 bay NAS would likely satisfy my storage needs for quite a while. With that in mind, how long would I expect the usable lifespan to be on something like a Synology DS418? Obvious you can't predict the future, but what have peoples experiences been like and how do you look at that going forward?

Ideally the drives need to be replaced after 4-5 years since once you get that far in, failure rates become higher. That's also about the time the warranty might expire, depending on which drives you are looking at. The Synology itself would probably go 10+ years, just be sure to dust it out regularly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You'll want a disk shelf with a SAS connector and a SAS HBA with external ports, as SAS is compatible with SATA.
The used market should have plenty of 2.5" disk shelves in 2U rack size.

Though be careful, this is apparently not 100% - I just found out the Dell MD1400 somehow manages to not support SATA disks.
e: According to the internet. I've got one I'm not actively using yet, so I can throw a SATA disk in it and see what happens.